• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Charger Game

There was a Bears fan that posted here shortly after acquiring Fields. He said he spoke for many Bears fans about being upset over letting Fields go. He said Fields was screwed over in Chicago, and if I remember correctly, he predicted Fields would succeed here.
So far so good.

Yep, 100% spot on, Stewey. I remember his post and he said the Steelers got a very good player who had been misused and mismanaged.

I don't know.....last week I did not even know he played. He had a good game. I don't watch other games. Especially to watch DTs/DEs or whatever you want to call Cams position. I will take your word on he is the BEST player at his position this season
...even though I am highly doubtful of it.

Whatever it's worth, I believe PFF had him graded near the top of his position through two games. To me, he played just as well this week.

However, he's fresh right now and age could very well become a factor by the end of the season.

There was a Bears fan that posted here shortly after acquiring Fields. He said he spoke for many Bears fans about being upset over letting Fields go. He said Fields was screwed over in Chicago, and if I remember correctly, he predicted Fields would succeed here.
So far so good.
It is like some on here wanted or expected Fields to fail horrible up to this point. They keep pushing for Wilson. Fields has everything as an athlete. I again give props to Tomlin. Tomlin has shown Fields it isn't all on him. Here in Pittsburgh it is about TEAM. I have been very critical of Tomlin the last few years. Even this season. To date. I give him many props for leading this team on all aspects. Does Tomlins still have a few warts? Yep. We will live with those warts for another week though.

Hopefully we continue to grow as a team. I hope Fields gets the nod going forward....but if Wilson is inserted hopefully we don't miss a beat and continue to grow.

Last edited:
Not complaining just because. That’s not me, you must have me confused with someone else.

If watched this train wreck of an O for too long. I see it end BB career early imo. It’s been a complete **** show. I can’t even recall when they were good.
Once again - considering we started a LT everyone wanted gone, a RT that had been benched the previous week, a rookie C and finished the game with a 3rd string LG, I thought they got progressively better throughout the game and actually kept Fields pretty clean after the first 2 drives. All against a physical defense that was playing well.

This year's line has nothing to do with how bad it's been the past several seasons.

Whatever it's worth, I believe PFF had him graded near the top of his position through two games. To me, he played just as well this week.

However, he's fresh right now and age could very well become a factor by the end of the season.
He played like a 25 year old today. Props to Cam. I hope he shows his screenshots this week and shoves it in my face. I have been highly critical of him but he balled out today.....and as you stated for the season.

Last edited:
Yep, 100% spot on, Stewey. I remember his post and he said the Steelers got a very good player who had been misused and mismanaged.
Finished last season 4-2 with that mess
Now 3-0 with the good guys

7-2 is a pretty good half season

His arrow is pointing up and his pedigree is beginning to show

It is like some on here wanted or expected Fields to fail horrible up to this point. They keep pushing for Wilson. Fields has everything as an athlete. I again give props to Tomlin. Tomlin has shown Fields it isn't all on him. Here in Pittsburgh it is about TEAM. I have been very critical of Tomlin the last few years. Even this season. To date. I give him many props for leading this team on all aspects. Does Tomlins still have a few warts? Yep. We will live with those warts for another week though.

Hopefully we continue to grow as a team. I hope Fields gets the nod going forward....but if Wilson is inserted hopefully with don't miss a beat and continue to grow.
Simply can’t see how you could
Pull him at this point.

To this point he’s earned the pole position, you can see it written over Russ’ face too when they show him on the sidelines. He knows it too.

Once again - considering we started a LT everyone wanted gone, a RT that had been benched the previous week, a rookie C and finished the game with a 3rd string LG, I thought they got progressively better throughout the game and actually kept Fields pretty clean after the first 2 drives. All against a physical defense that was playing well.

This year's line has nothing to do with how bad it's been the past several seasons.
To be fair.....what they have done with Jones is mind-boggling.

Good things happen when you use the entire field. Anyone know what happened to Warren? don't recall seeing him in the second half.
Think he wasn’t fully 100 percent so they sat him..

Reactions: GMC
So far so good.
One of my best friends is a Chicagoan, hardcore Bears fan. He LOVED Justin and was sick with the coaching and how they never put him in any position to succeed. He hopes the Steelers prove the Bears wrong...very cool.

I told hi that I am 100% sure we would have drafted him if he had slid to us. MT loved him from the jump.

I don't think he's exactly helped his own cause either. He has some maturing to do. Hopefully today is a big step.
He played a solid RT last year. Then drafted another LT which they inserted to RT. Moore only plays LT because his one leg is shorter than the other. So our Rookie is limited during TC because of injury. Then comes back and they rotate Jones and Fautanu. All while Jones is taking LT snaps in practice. Miss management on the coaching staff in my opinion. Who ever heard of rotating OLman during the game?

Finished last season 4-2 with that mess
Now 3-0 with the good guys

7-2 is a pretty good half season

His arrow is pointing up and his pedigree is beginning to show
Seriously....who cares what he did at the end of last season....maybe Fields does. We need him working weekly....game in and game out to get better. So far it looks like he has. The better he does weekly will earn the trust of our coaches. I can't wait to see what he does next week against the Colts. I am expecting another road win!!!!!

So the stupidest thing about Pickett's decision was tgat tge Steelers rebuilt the offensive coaching staff specifically to develop him... they figured out that they couldnt just let a young qb develop himself...

Fields is now reaping the benefits of tgat decision now
He's gotta be kicking himself right now, but is too prideful to admit it. This could (would) have been him . The Steelers were prepared to do the exact same thing with Pickett that they are doing with Fields. You can't ask for any hting more than an opportunity to compete (well unless you want things handed to you). Look at the difference i how Kenny handled the saituaiton and how Justin has handled it. Night and Day difference. We dodged a bullet and won the prize!

My lord it has been like 6 years. When is that progress going to show
I'd say that actually it only started last season with the Broderick draft and the signing of Seumalo. James Daniels was a good addition but it wasn't a rebuild per se until valuable draft investment was made.

I think its getting to the point where Fields is going to have to cost them a game maybe more then one before Wilson gets in. No TDs week one, one week 2, two week three.......threw over the middle. One mistake wasn't horrible either. Still think they can do more with run with him but he has a great arm and pretty damn accurate.

Justin Fields
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold - he's younger than Joe Burrow BTW
Malik Willis

All tossed aside by teams that found it easier to scapegoat a QB than to coach him or design a system around his strengths.

I thought the steelers would go back to Wilson as soon as he was healthy. Fields was decent in the first 2 games, but not great. He made a few plays but mostly he just avoided major mistakes and allowed the defense to win the game.

This game was different. This game Fields actually made some great plays. He is showing real growth while limiting negative plays. The way this game started with all the pressure the chargers were bringing, it seemed this may be the week the bubble bursts. Fields did look a bit jittery the first few series. But he kept his head. He didn't panic, he trusted the gameplan and kept doing his job instead of leaving the pocket.

That throw to Austin was outstanding. He made a quick read and threw it with anticipation. Not only that, it was the perfect ball placement. If he leads Austin then it's probably and INT or broken up. Instead he threw it slightly back shoulder to force Austin to slow up and stay in the window.

Fields is one of the most talented QBs in the league. If he keeps improving then the steelers may have their franchise QB. There's no way you can start Rus now, not unless Fields starts to unravel.

The steelers are playing this well without their OL playing it's best and without their presumed #2 WR Roman Wilson.

So the stupidest thing about Pickett's decision was tgat tge Steelers rebuilt the offensive coaching staff specifically to develop him... they figured out that they couldnt just let a young qb develop himself...

Fields is now reaping the benefits of tgat decision now
STOP
STOP
STOP

PICKETT WAS HAPPY FEET RAN INTO OPPOSING DEFENSES...

13 TD'S 13 INT IN 26 GAMES...

STOP

I was worried that after the int Mike T would get ultra conservative and shut down the whole middle of the field with a no fly zone red tape. Glad the team kept an open play book and look how great it paid out . Definitely not living on his fears for once.

I was worried that after the int Mike T would get ultra conservative and shut down the whole middle of the field with a no fly zone red tape. Glad the team kept an open play book and look how great it paid out . Definitely not living on his fears for once.
That and trying to do some quick passes before halftime. Just a refreshing game all in all.👏

Initial thought...

Keep your tomatoes in your hands.

Guess who the LT when we play the Browns??? Guess who rarely tastes a QB sack when we play the Browns (except when Kenny used to run right into him)???

Answer to question #1 - Dan Moore Jr.
Answer to question #2 - Myles Garrett

I know, I know - he sucks in most of our eyes but I will eat some crow on this assessment, for now, Dan Moore Jr. had one bad play yesterday against Kalil Mack - probably HOFer, yeah he's aging; but Dan was not a problem on the field today.

Thank you.

Oh...

Thank you to Broderick Jones for pancaking Bosa, who ultimately had to leave the game because of it...

Initial thought...

Keep your tomatoes in your hands.

Guess who the LT when we play the Browns??? Guess who rarely tastes a QB sack when we play the Browns (except when Kenny used to run right into him)???

Answer to question #1 - Dan Moore Jr.
Answer to question #2 - Myles Garrett

I know, I know - he sucks in most of our eyes but I will eat some crow on this assessment, for now, Dan Moore Jr. had one bad play yesterday against Kalil Mack - probably HOFer, yeah he's aging; but Dan was not a problem on the field today.

Thank you.

Oh...

Thank you to Broderick Jones for pancaking Bosa, who ultimately had to leave the game because of it...
After all the **** Dan has went through during his career here ,it’s great to see him having a quality season so far. Talk about important to have depth on the OLine. He’s our starter for the rest of the year now and I’m certainly cheering him on. I’d like to think some coaching up has helped his development as well. Credit where credit is due. And it’s contract year.

We all knew that the Offensive line was going to struggle early on as it takes time to gel and get the timing down, and recent injuries are only pushing out the timeline further. But I really think the offense is finding its identity here and it's pretty exciting.

Art needs to take the naked pitch play out of his playbook, wad it up, and swallow that *****.

I really like how Justin is playing right now. He's going through his progressions, really good footwork as Romo mentioned several times, and his throws were pretty much spot on. Pretty dang excited about the team right now.