• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Charger Game

Just tired of hearing
...Fields has to this. He hasn't proved this. There will always be something. He had a **** show of a career in Chicago. I give props to Tomlin up to this point. I give props to Fields. I hope it all gets better going forward with both.
Told ol girl that if it isn’t broken you don’t fix it. She said you have the book on the shelf if you need it you take it off. Not sure it should be any other approach.

I am guilty of times as is many of fans who see a players beginning and look for the trash can.

Thing is these young QBs are often put in unfavorable positions. ****** coaching, ****** GMs, then they go to a capable team and or a fresh start.

I believe more than anything everything is a wait and see.

Trends can change with fresh minds, coaches, etc.

With these young QBs you like to have QB positional coaches that are known to be successful. Give them a fighting chance…

Initial thought...

Keep your tomatoes in your hands.

Guess who the LT when we play the Browns??? Guess who rarely tastes a QB sack when we play the Browns (except when Kenny used to run right into him)???

Answer to question #1 - Dan Moore Jr.
Answer to question #2 - Myles Garrett

I know, I know - he sucks in most of our eyes but I will eat some crow on this assessment, for now, Dan Moore Jr. had one bad play yesterday against Kalil Mack - probably HOFer, yeah he's aging; but Dan was not a problem on the field today.

Thank you.

Oh...

Thank you to Broderick Jones for pancaking Bosa, who ultimately had to leave the game because of it...

I think DPOY for success rate, is injured. Not sure but i thought he left the game and didn't return yesterday. Not sure of the long term situation.

Salute the nation

Told ol girl that if it isn’t broken you don’t fix it. She said you have the book on the shelf if you need it you take it off. Not sure it should be any other approach.

I am guilty of times as is many of fans who see a players beginning and look for the trash can.

Thing is these young QBs are often put in unfavorable positions. ****** coaching, ****** GMs, then they go to a capable team and or a fresh start.

I believe more than anything everything is a wait and see.

Trends can change with fresh minds, coaches, etc.

With these young QBs you like to have QB positional coaches that are known to be successful. Give them a fighting chance…
look at how sam darnold is doing. he didn't just all of the sudden become good at qb. he's always been a good qb if you saw him in college, but the nfl is unforgiving. if a kid doesn't have good coaches and players around him, he's gonna fail. they want these guys to resurrect broken franchises, but there's usually a reason the franchise is all screwed up to begin with. what if russel wilson ended up with the chicago bears and not pete carroll and the seahawks? what kinda career trajectory would he have had?

i know i'm a homer when it comes to Fields. i really think he can, at the least, give us solid, top half of the nfl type qb play. he seems to be doing it right now.

I was pleasantly surprised at the power he ran with.
He has power and still has some speed. He runs too upright to me which usually leads to RBs getting banged up, but can't complain about the signing, just hope he stays healthy

Plus the pressure put on by the ******* media and ******* fans. 24/7…….. it’s a tough job

STOP
STOP
STOP

PICKETT WAS HAPPY FEET RAN INTO OPPOSING DEFENSES...

13 TD'S 13 INT IN 26 GAMES...

STOP

I will never understand fans who think a you players first couple years are what they will be forever... its absolutely untrue in many cases...

Fields was a bust who turned the ball over and ran too much in Chicago...
he looks nothing like that so far here...

You want to talk about running into sacks with happy feet, go look at bears messageboards the past two seasons... hell he led the league in sacks taken in his second year... he had 44 last year...

This year he stays in the pocket more and has taken only 4 through 3 games

Malik Willis was so bad they traded him.. he looked lightyears better in his relief duty
Sam Darnold... Geno Smith... there are plenty of examples of why you cant look at the first few years of a QBs career and make a judgement on them..

For the record, with 2 tds in 3 games, fields is on pace to throw 11 tds in 17 games.. Unless he opens it up, Mike Tomlins passing game just doesnt lead to passing tds very frequently

So I am thrilled we are 3-0... if we can beat the colts next week we will have one third of the road games done without a loss... thatt would make the super tough second half more manageable

Also, Clevelands HC is a moron... a little over 4 minutes left and a 4th and 1 on their own 39 and he goes for it... the Giants missed the FG after, but those kinds of choices are why they wont ever win anything
That super tough second half schedule is starting to look quite a bit easier with six games against division opponents who are now a combined 2-7 overall and 0-5 in their home games.

To be fair.....what they have done with Jones is mind-boggling.
The OL played well, luckily for Jones in his redemption game Bosa came in dinged up and left early.

Gotta love what they’ve been able to do with the depth of the OL to survive this onslaught of injuries there.

Khan/Weidl have definitely plugged some gaping holes they were left.

Seriously....who cares what he did at the end of last season....maybe Fields does.
I bet Mike did, obviously. He was an arrow pointing up guy with pedigree too. Going 4-2 in that mess is an accomplishment. Had he ended last season 1-5 like a Bear QB he’s likely not here imo.

Now 3-0 where games matter

No need to diminish his play because it was in a dumpster 🔥

I bet Mike did, obviously. He was an arrow pointing up guy with pedigree too. Going 4-2 in that mess is an accomplishment. Had he ended last season 1-5 like a Bear QB he’s likely not here imo.

Lol.....yeah. Mike was following along Fields' season and saw he finished 4 and 2 and that was the deciding factor of wanting to trade for him. Not the 3 seasons of film on Fields. Nope. And to think Fields won those games all my himself ...really? Football is a team effort. From top to bottom. Just like Fields' record this season obviously isn not all on him. We have had great defense and dare I say some very good coaching up to this point.

The OL played well, luckily for Jones in his redemption game Bosa came in dinged up and left early.

Gotta love what they’ve been able to do with the depth of the OL to survive this onslaught of injuries there.

Khan/Weidl have definitely plugged some gaping holes they were left.
did you see what jones did to bosa first play of the game? its on the interwebs somewhere. Baldinger?? cant remember.

look at how sam darnold is doing. he didn't just all of the sudden become good at qb. he's always been a good qb if you saw him in college, but the nfl is unforgiving. if a kid doesn't have good coaches and players around him, he's gonna fail. they want these guys to resurrect broken franchises, but there's usually a reason the franchise is all screwed up to begin with. what if russel wilson ended up with the chicago bears and not pete carroll and the seahawks? what kinda career trajectory would he have had?

i know i'm a homer when it comes to Fields. i really think he can, at the least, give us solid, top half of the nfl type qb play. he seems to be doing it right now.

I getting more and more confident in Mr. Fields as well. He made a BIG step Sunday and my hopes is they continue baby spoon feeding more and more offe3nse to him. As his confidence grows, so does he.

Russ can sit and soon dress and be the #2 active.

Salute the nation

I will never understand fans who think a you players first couple years are what they will be forever... its absolutely untrue in many cases...

Fields was a bust who turned the ball over and ran too much in Chicago...
he looks nothing like that so far here...

You want to talk about running into sacks with happy feet, go look at bears messageboards the past two seasons... hell he led the league in sacks taken in his second year... he had 44 last year...

This year he stays in the pocket more and has taken only 4 through 3 games

Malik Willis was so bad they traded him.. he looked lightyears better in his relief duty
Sam Darnold... Geno Smith... there are plenty of examples of why you cant look at the first few years of a QBs career and make a judgement on them..

For the record, with 2 tds in 3 games, fields is on pace to throw 11 tds in 17 games.. Unless he opens it up, Mike Tomlins passing game just doesnt lead to passing tds very frequently

Add to this, Fields (project3ed) TD count will only be 2 less than Pickett’s two year total.

I’m also going on record that Fields will exceed 15-17 passing TDs for this season.

Salute the nation

That super tough second half schedule is starting to look quite a bit easier with six games against division opponents who are now a combined 2-7 overall and 0-5 in their home games.

GREAT post top seed, I was just going to look into this. Thanks for saving me the time………

Salute the nation

did you see what jones did to bosa first play of the game? its on the interwebs somewhere. Baldinger?? cant remember.
Yep pancaked that arse. Pretty damn good considering who it was…

Add to this, Fields (project3ed) TD count will only be 2 less than Pickett’s two year total.

I’m also going on record that Fields will exceed 15-17 passing TDs for this season.

Salute the nation
He should...IF they keep the offense away from the supersafe BS...

The past couple years, we would rarely, if ever, call that play the CA3 took for a td

That throw is a set play... tge safety is gonna break on it hard... if its a second late its probably getting picked and going back the other way

You have to trust your qb and wr a ton on that to sell it presnap and throw it and for tge wr not to telegraph it...

I bet Tomlins *** was so puckered up when it got called that he shat diamonds after the game🤣

Those plays get you yac and splash play tds..

Sideline and short bs are way lower % for passing tds

Meh. The Steelers werent that high on fields...

They could have had him for a first, even at the deadline last year... they passed
They could have gotten him for a second or third... they passed
Chicago was shopping him heavily..
There were rumors of some nameless team bidding against the Steelers at the end, but in this day and age, when no actual team is named, its probably just bs trying to drive up the price

He came at a conditional fourth... and they only offered that after Pickett Punked out... not exactly what you offer when you think the guy is gonna be your starter and really want him

They always liked fields, but he was just the best cheap option available out there... they just took a gamble

I also like Fields potential, but i still think starting him early is a huge risk to his overall development cause I know Tomlin... first bad game he will be looking to toss Russ back in there and who knows what that does to his confidence...

I watched 26 of HAPPY FEETS GAMES

I SAW FOR MYSELF

Again, players can learn and grow. In two seasons and 26 games " Happy feet" took 50 total sacks

In fields first two seasons, he started 25 games and took 91 sacks...

His third year he took 44 in 13 games...

People bitched about him running too early into sacks...

He is on pace for 22 in 17 games this year...

Sometimes new people in new places have a great effect on a young man's career. It's early, but maybe we are seeing that with Fields. It's ironic that KFP, with the same exact situation, couldn't see it that way.

Sometimes new people in new places have a great effect on a young man's career. It's early, but maybe we are seeing that with Fields. It's ironic that KFP, with the same exact situation, couldn't see it that way.
He was butthurt and skeered . I am the starter how dare they question me. He has then only saw the exit sign, so they opened the door.

I get that Pickett, Rudolph, and Trubisky were friends, and that the team kind of screwed over the former two, but they were moving forward with Pickett and he should have been smart enough to not jump ship so quickly... i just dont get giving up a starter gig for a certain backup role... its foolish.

Maybe he felt Wilson was gonna beat him out regardless... he is a filthy Eagle now... Fields and Wilson are the guys now...

I get that Pickett, Rudolph, and Trubisky were friends, and that the team kind of screwed over the former two, but they were moving forward with Pickett and he should have been smart enough to not jump ship so quickly... i just dont get giving up a starter gig for a certain backup role... its foolish.

Maybe he felt Wilson was gonna beat him out regardless... he is a filthy Eagle now... Fields and Wilson are the guys now...
2 rooms that are way better now since Khan gutted and rebuilt them:

1) ILBs
2) QBs