• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

IF we went receiver with the 1st pick in the draft...

They focused on lines last year. Never underestimate the Andy addition...
They used a 1st and a 7th rounder on OL; not what I'd call a monofocus on the OL. We need at least an equal effort this year, I'd say more actually. We need a 1st or 2nd AND a 3rd or 4th. We need BOTH a C and a RT. And a 7th rouder on either isn't enough. Nope. And signing ham and eggers like Cole in FA doesn't cut it either. I'd say 2 picks on OL and 1 on DL within the 1st 5 picks is what is needed.

I heard he was a good lad...
When I heard he was "another DJ," my excitement meter didn't bounce. Do they mean he runs good routes but drops tons of balls, runs backwards after the catch and has maturity problems? I hope not!

When I heard he was "another DJ," my excitement meter didn't bounce. Do they mean he runs good routes but drops tons of balls, runs backwards after the catch and has maturity problems? I hope not!
Good route runner and instant stop and run ability. Rally interesting option but he won't be there for the 2nd pick

Good route runner and instant stop and run ability. Rally interesting option but he won't be there for the 2nd pick
If he won't be there in our 2nd pick then I'd kiss him goodbye.

I like BACON and could eat it for breakfast every day. I choose to miss valuable time in kind of a way of "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" sort of way.

Salute the nation
True Bacon lovers shy away from using“BACON” and heart in the same paragraph. Of course,I guess,true BACON lovers don’t give a ****.

PS
My bacon mushroom and cheese omelette was truly delicious this morning. Instead of my usual hash browns for a side dish,I fried up the rest of the bacon strips.

Cheers DIC!

Yes SIR, there are some who say the value of a center is in the third round,

I say not so fast.

The top two centers will be gone before we pick in the second. We NEED a guy who will start immediately from first mini-camp to regular season. Don’t need a project or someone who needs to sit a year to see if they can or not play.

JPJ and the Frazier kid are the ONLY two that fit that bill out of the gates.

What is so hard with that concept, for the FO not to comprehend???

Salute the nationb
Good lord…..I think you and I have been saying this for years.
Since The year before Pouncey retired. Enough of the Bull-****.
I would have had an all star ready for his second contract by now. It’s nauseating. Instead of this patch work Bull-****.
Just get it ******* done already.
Excuse my language this morning.

Pickens who isn't the greatest route runner.
of course we also need someone to coach up Pickens to start running some great routes.
You would think he’d want to work super hard at doing this on his own. It would turn him into a 20 million receiver.
You’d think that’s enough incentive. This will really be an interesting year for George. All eyes will be on him this year….lets see if he’s got what it takes to be next level.

Good lord…..I think you and I have been saying this for years.
Since The year before Pouncey retired. Enough of the Bull-****.
I would have had an all star ready for his second contract by now. It’s nauseating. Instead of this patch work Bull-****.
Just get it ******* done already.
Excuse my language this morning.
What we've been seeing is the Tomlin influence on drafting. I pray to Go we are done with that: bargain bins for OLmen. It's like shopping for movies out of the bargain bins at Walmart or Target: Glitter, Striptease, Batman & Robin, Battlefield Earth, The Wickerman and Gigli.

They used a 1st and a 7th rounder on OL; not what I'd call a monofocus on the OL. We need at least an equal effort this year, I'd say more actually. We need a 1st or 2nd AND a 3rd or 4th. We need BOTH a C and a RT. And a 7th rounder on either isn't enough. Nope. And signing ham and eggers like Cole in FA doesn't cut it either. I'd say 2 picks on OL and 1 on DL within the 1st 5 picks is what is needed.
I said, "lines" they also drafted Benton so that is 3 picks in one class,two being high picks. I think that is a good start. You aren't getting much more than that in a draft class with other needs.

Cole regressed after the draft during the season. They weren't focusing in on C early. They had other higher needs.

So they are going in the right direction, even if it doesn't meet your satisfaction.

I just do not think they are in position to draft a WR in the 1st. as others hve said, get the lines fixed 1st. C,OT,DL. also need another CB. Lots of needs. WR is a need but can be found lter.

I just do not think they are in position to draft a WR in the 1st. as others hve said, get the lines fixed 1st. C,OT,DL. also need another CB. Lots of needs. WR is a need but can be found later.
Sure C (a need) and RT(an upgrade want) would be nice and very well could be picks 1 and 2. I think if wide receiver isn't taken until 3 they need to double dip.

They picked up a free agent DE don't know if they D-line it this draft with so many needs. I guess they could squeeze one in but we know CB and QB will be options as well...

I said, "lines" they also drafted Benton so that is 3 picks in one class,two being high picks. I think that is a good start. You aren't getting much more than that in a draft class with other needs.

Cole regressed after the draft during the season. They weren't focusing in on C early. They had other higher needs.

So they are going in the right direction, even if it doesn't meet your satisfaction.
This draft will tell us everything we need to know about where their priorities are for fixing both lines. We need a minimum of a C, RT and DLman, period.

This draft will tell us everything we need to know about where their priorities are for fixing both lines. We need a minimum of a C, RT and DLman, period.
They picked up a DE in free agency and resigned their depth NT.

Their priorities will be their biggest weakness.Or should be.

Starting Center
Number 2 and 3 WR
Inside CB
RT so Broderick can move to LT
QB

Lot of needs with only 5 high to mid value picks available.

They are still down a pass rushing OLber and a starting ILber that probably won't be ready game 1.

Their priorities are plugging holes, there is no wait and see needed.

Mathematically it will be hard to plug all the needs, they will have to revisit free agency- post draft to give themselves a fighting chance to try to fill all those needs...

They picked up a DE in free agency and resigned their depth NT.

Their priorities will be their biggest weakness.Or should be.

Starting Center
Number 2 and 3 WR
Inside CB
RT so Broderick can move to LT
QB

Lot of needs with only 5 high to mid value picks available.

They are still down a pass rushing OLber and a starting ILber that probably won't be ready game 1.

Their priorities are plugging holes, there is no wait and see needed.

Mathematically it will be hard to plug all the needs, they will have to revisit free agency- post draft to give themselves a fighting chance to try to fill all those needs...
It's tough because they have glaring holes at center and two at receiver, yet they simply need more playmakers on this team, particularly on offense. The playmakers can't shine until the offensive line is settle and with no starting center and a bottom-5 LT in the league, they almost have to force the answer at these positions first.

What we've been seeing is the Tomlin influence on drafting. I pray to Go we are done with that: bargain bins for OLmen. It's like shopping for movies out of the bargain bins at Walmart or Target: Glitter, Striptease, Batman & Robin, Battlefield Earth, The Wickerman and Gigli.
You do realize that we drafted OL guys in the first two rounds pretty much the same under Tomlin as under Cowher... and Cowher didnt even want Stephans...
the real difference is that Cowher loved to stockpile mid to late round ol guys... he only had one draft he didnt take any OL... and that was a year we only had like five picks...
under tomlin I think its up to four...

Its not drafting, its development and useage... Dotson and Greene should have shown that..

You do realize that we drafted OL guys in the first two rounds pretty much the same under Tomlin as under Cowher... and Cowher didnt even want Stephans...
the real difference is that Cowher loved to stockpile mid to late round ol guys... he only had one draft he didnt take any OL... and that was a year we only had like five picks...

Its not drafting, its development and useage... Dotson and Greene should have shown that..

I hear yaz, Tomlin couldn’t develop a Polaroid picture let alone a football player. He also didn’t want to bring in any sub-coaches who could either.

Salute the nation

That's a good point; The Shades' era has virtually no player development going on. Dotson and Green really did make that point. Dotson goes from not even worth playing to getting a new contract making him one of the highest paid OGs in the league. And all he was was a big FAIL in Pgh.