• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial thoughts after the game

I have enough to blame the coaches for. I blame bad player decisions. Doing it again this season? Then I would lean back to the coaches.
Yeah I can blame a lot on coaches. The challenge with literally no chance to look I cannot. DJ a seasoned vet not just walking back with the win. I cannot blame either.

I remain kinda frustrated about the Moore vs Jones discussion. Moore was a 5th (hey folks, 5TH round pick) who has played left since his rookie year. Who else does that regularly from the 5th? No one. The issue is NOT Jones vs Moore. Jones should be starting, PERIOD. The person losing their spot should not be Moore, it should be Chucks. Moore to right, Jones at left, Chucks being an overpaid being warming person. Tell me why this is wrong.

It's coaches not having any control over players being stupid at the absolute worst time possible. Chicken and egg.
You're right because the coaches aren't allowed to be on the field to hold DJ/Pickens' hands to make sure they don't do stupid **** at the absolute worst time possible.

I remain kinda frustrated about the Moore vs Jones discussion. Moore was a 5th (hey folks, 5TH round pick) who has played left since his rookie year. Who else does that regularly from the 5th? No one. The issue is NOT Jones vs Moore. Jones should be starting, PERIOD. The person losing their spot should not be Moore, it should be Chucks. Moore to right, Jones at left, Chucks being an overpaid being warming person. Tell me why this is wrong.
The pass protection was a mess early on and the ground game didn't light it up. It felt like it did, but Harris averaged only 3.8 YPC which had some nice runs. Let this line develop with Jones and get him out there opening holes for these backs. It's his strength.

You're right because the coaches aren't allowed to be on the field to hold DJ/Pickens' hands to make sure they don't do stupid **** at the absolute worst time possible.
Perhaps sit the player. Don't let them be bigger than the TEAM. Instill this. We saw what AB and Bell gave us....NOTHING.

Perhaps sit the player. Don't let them be bigger than the TEAM. Instill this. We saw what AB and Bell gave us....NOTHING.
How long are you going to sit them for? And who are you putting in that's going to do the job as well?
One of the Steelers' problems is that, for all the WRs they've drafted and developed, they don't keep a lot of them and are actually pretty thin at the position when it comes to quality backups.

How long are you going to sit them for? And who are you putting in that's going to do the job as well?
One of the Steelers' problems is that, for all the WRs they've drafted and developed, they don't keep a lot of them and are actually pretty thin at the position when it comes to quality backups.
You start with perhaps a half of a game. For a professional that would/should be enough one would think. If not you take it farther. Thing is you SHOW this to the TEAM. They see this. No special treatment. A culture is created.

Yeah they can scold them behind closed doors. No need to bench either WR. Really they don't have that luxury with this scheme or lack of consistent pass catching options.

Yeah they can scold them behind closed doors. No need to bench either WR. Really they don't have that luxury with this scheme or lack of consistent pass catching options.
If you are creating something bigger than this year.....the future culture...then yes. If a player doesn't wise up then you sit them. Whether it is a half. A series. A game. Whatever. You bite the bullet for the greater good. It is called coaching.

The pass protection was a mess early on and the ground game didn't light it up. It felt like it did, but Harris averaged only 3.8 YPC which had some nice runs. Let this line develop with Jones and get him out there opening holes for these backs. It's his strength.
Pass protection was a mess early because the Rams were bringing more rushers than the Steelers had blockers.

I agree it's time for Jones to start. But I'd strongly consider giving Moore time at RT where Chuks hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. No way I'm paying him about $12 million next season.

If you are creating something bigger than this year.....the future culture...then yes. If a player doesn't wise up then you sit them. Whether it is a half. A series. A game. Whatever. You bite the bullet for the greater good. It is called coaching.
And then folks would ***** about so and so sitting while we lost a game ... while trying to send a message. We'd definitely hear the Jan Bradys under those circumstances: "Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin"
Oh, and a whole half? Really? Craziness!!

I would hope anything they would need to do can be done during the week of practice. Sit them down and tell them what you want policed up. Sure there is other options if it continues beyond this point. But hoping it doesn't get to the point.

I'm still confused about the DJ taunting sequence. I thought dead ball fouls were enforced after the result of the play, so how did it offset the PI? Shouldn't it have been 1st and 10, 15 yards from the PI spot?

Think he was a 4th. But other than that spot on

It's coaches not having any control over players being stupid at the absolute worst time possible. Chicken and egg.
If you’re coaching at the professional level. What can you do? Are you going to yell at your top guys and make them retaliate against you?

Yelling at players doesn’t work at the professional level in any sport. Especially in this generation. That’s how coaches lose respect.

I don’t like the boneheaded taunting stuff either. But it’s a damned do/don’t situation. These guys are grown men. Protected by union. AB was able to get away with it cause that’s just culture now sadly.

And then folks would ***** about so and so sitting while we lost a game ... while trying to send a message. We'd definitely hear the Jan Bradys under those circumstances: "Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin"
Oh, and a whole half? Really? Craziness!!
Agreed. Not much can be done.

I know I’d retaliate against my employer if they tried to punish me if I was being productive. Lets just say if I’m being a jackass yet productive. That’s Tomlin’s situation with DJ and Pickens

I would hope anything they would need to do can be done during the week of practice. Sit them down and tell them what you want policed up. Sure there is other options if it continues beyond this point. But hoping it doesn't get to the point.
Sure. Here we have several players this week hurting us from their actions. Let us see what the future brings us with their actions going forward. What do you do if it happens again though? Ask nicely for them to stop?.

The stupid stuff with Pickens and Johnson needs to stop.

Lucky it didn't cost them the game.
Cowher would never tolerate that stuff. Tomlin seems to high five if

Tackling and coverage is below average. This team continues to put fans through the wringer, emotions run the gamut from the very lows to very highs. Canada continues to show time for coach that can call a complete game. Finally, I need another beer.