• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Initial Thoughts on Charger Game

A broken watch is right twice a day. Let’s just wait till he wins a P/O game again, before making a statement like that.
Certainly not all of us. But maybe 2 or 3 of us

The OL definitely had it's problems but they were playing a very good D. There were too many plays where Najee got the ball and multiple D players were right there for the handoff. One in the 3rd quarter, Fields pitched the ball to Naj and there were literally 3 defenders there when the ball arrived and another 1 step behind them. I don't. know if that is poor OL or they knew the play or both.
Najee also operates better between the tackles
Unfortunately negative plays occur for him when he tries to gain the edge and outrun the D…simply not the strength of his game. He needs to keep north south, but he also gets some of those just brutal 3 dudes in the backfield plays too.

Patterson actually was looking good too down the stretch closing out the game.

I have the right to change my mind weekly, but I am starting to think maybe Tomlin knows more about coaching an NFL than a few of us.
I look at Tomlin as the exact poker player I was early in my professional career. I’d win about 80% of my sessions but always around $100-200

I learned some nuances of the game and realized how predictable my consistent conservative play was. Once I learned how to change gears, and become intellectually aggressive my game opened up and my winning percentage dipped to about 75% of sessions played. But my income per session tripled to quadrupled. I was winning the big pots/games.

If he can add that intelligent aggression and lose some predictability he could over come the hump and start winning bigger sessions/games.

Not sure he’ll ever break out of his conservative, consistent predictability but if he does he could actually be dangerous.

And he definitely knows more about coaching than most. I like how Romo discussed the discipline he brought to practice this week bringing in refs to flag penalties. It showed in the result today of a more disciplined team on the field.

Love to give credit where credit is due and he definitely deserves kudos for that. Good win for Mike and the good guys!!!

The OL is a work in progress and improved as the game went on against a physical team. That's all I ask.

I have a new theory.

In the beginning of the Tomlin era , it was Cowher's team. I honestly believe that. However, as Cowher's players were phased out, it turned into Colbert's team. Soft as hell. Now that the Khan man has taken over, the team has become more physical. Old fashioned Steelers football. Now we may see the real Tomlin 🤞

It's tough to cook if you don't have the ingredients.
My lord it has been like 6 years. When is that progress going to show

Pickett was tge reverse fields... he had to prove he could play better from q1 to 3... he did ok when he wasnt trying to play super safe...

If football was baseball, Fields would start and play 3 quarters and Pickett would play the 4 th🤣🤣🤣🤣🤦🏻‍♂️
Just tired of hearing
...Fields has to this. He hasn't proved this. There will always be something. He had a **** show of a career in Chicago. I give props to Tomlin up to this point. I give props to Fields. I hope it all gets better going forward with both.

Remember Smith is the one that helped that O in Tennessee thrive when nobody thought much of it.

Fast forward not a lot think much of the O but they have showed flashes.

I will continue pimping Smith he has shown a lot in a little time.
Possessing the ball
And controlling TOP fits Mike’s style and helps the D shine. They’re actually piecing together a
Puzzle with Smith fitting as an OC to the style as well.

The crayon eater just loved to put the pressure on the D with those 1 minute “drives”

I think they realized they didn't need to play him, so they had a few plays for Patterson to rest Najee a bit. I hope Warren's injury is getting properly healed, so that he can get back in the next few games and Patterson can be used a bit more like Deebo Samuel.
That guy is one big son of a gun. I appreciate how he stepped in at RB and basically bulldozed over defenders. It brought me back to the Bettis days. I really missed that grit in our game and really like seeing it make a comeback.

Just tired of hearing
...Fields has to this. He hasn't proved this. There will always be something. He had a **** show of a career in Chicago. I give props to Tomlin up to this point. I give props to Fields. I hope it all gets better going forward with both.

Its just people need to temper expectations. There is a tendency to overhype these guys and it leads to fan support collapsing if they have a bad game
Fields has an excellent arm, but Chicago did him very dirty... especially Nagy... right now we are only asking him to take baby steps out there... people are getting excited because its more tgan we allowed 2019 Rudolph or the past two seasons of Pickett, but we arent really asking him to win games with his arm yet...

We havent needed to..

No team needs or should want a Lamar Jackson... that just gets you stuck in the close but no cigar category in the playoffs... they all should covet a Patrick Mahomes...

chicago taught fields to be the former, but he could be similar to the latter with his skillset... so yeah, Fields still has a ton to prove... that doesnt mean he isnt doing good or isnt a potential long term solution here...

He is running a pretty safe O... today we finally saw a couple riskier read and throws... so they are slowly expanding his responsibilities... but he isnt playing all pro ball or anything yet...

He started focusing on pickens less as well..

All of this is growth... but again, tempered expectations is the best here...

QB - This is the first week I got a sense they're building Fields and he's gaining comfort in the offense. The arm talent is there and he played a good game with subpar OL play and no running game for most of the day. The lack of talent at WR shows up each week, but they schemed up enough to get guys like Miller and Austin to make big plays.

OL - They are a mess right now. There are some good moments, just too many bad ones. Jones had a mental lapse to allow a free rusher for a sack--it seems like most of his issues are mental. Moore regressed toward his normal and Spencer Anderson isn't playing to the level he was at in the preseason. He was not good today. I thought McCormick played well and was huge in the second half when coming in as eligible in sparking the ground game. This group really needs Seumalo back in the lineup.

RB - Harris really made the most of his carries to run out the clock as did Patterson. They ran physical and beat up the defense.

WRs - It's not an impressive group, but they did enough today to get it done. Trading DJ was fine, not replacing him has hurt the progress of the offense.

DL - Benton hasn't quite got the pressures I thought he would early, but I actually think this group is playing a little smarter in the sense that they're playing better run defense than the past.

LBs - Patrick Queen started to make more of his presence felt, but man that dropped INT hurt. Herbig will give up some against the run compared to Highsmith, but he is a better pass rusher. Dude is a stud.

DBs - Fitzpatrick seems back in form now that he's back in his position. JPJ so much better defending the run.

Overall, the offense finally felt like more of an NFL offense at moments today. Other parts they were terrible, but it was a good defense they were up against. Arthur Smith did a great job in the second half to exploit that group. The defense is for real and getting to the point where it is more exciting to watch the team when they're on the field than the offense because of the big-play capability. Even though it wasn't his most active game, Watt came up with a huge sack when the Steelers needed it.

That guy is one big son of a gun. I appreciate how he stepped in at RB and basically bulldozed over defenders. It brought me back to the Bettis days. I really missed that grit in our game and really like seeing it make a comeback.

That guy is a big hammer. He looks like a TE.

That 4th quarter was pure Steeler art!

We have exactly two (2) starters from opening day last year and three(3) starters on the OL from the end of last season right now. Smh
Regardless, you will acknowledge this OL has been a trainwreck for almost a decade?

I will certainly acknowledge lots of injuries this year and tons of moving parts but ****.

Its just people need to temper expectations. There is a tendency to overhype these guys and it leads to fan support collapsing if they have a bad game
Fields has an excellent arm, but Chicago did him very dirty... especially Nagy... right now we are only asking him to take baby steps out there... people are getting excited because its more tgan we allowed 2019 Rudolph or the past two seasons of Pickett, but we arent really asking him to win games with his arm yet...

We havent needed to..

No team needs or should want a Lamar Jackson... that just gets you stuck in the close but no cigar category in the playoffs... they all should covet a Patrick Mahomes...

chicago taught fields to be the former, but he could be similar to the latter with his skillset... so yeah, Fields still has a ton to prove... that doesnt mean he isnt doing good or isnt a potential long term solution here...

He is running a pretty safe O... today we finally saw a couple riskier read and throws... so they are slowly expanding his responsibilities... but he isnt playing all pro ball or anything yet...

He started focusing on pickens less as well..

All of this is growth... but again, tempered expectations is the best here...
Temper expectations? I doubt think the Fields expectations can be tempered more than what they have been.

The Fields haters used the limited play calling to hammer on Fields. Like most couldn't see it was the play calling that was holding him back.

Even Romo was giving him praise for his reads....and plays he made. Yet we still had people stating Fields looks confused during his reads.

I am happy with I have seen from Fields. Is he perfect? Nope. Can he improve? Sure. We are 3 and 0 though.

Fields is hitting over 73% of his passes. Taken limited number of sacks. Has thrown only a handful of horrible passes. Could Wilson's stats be better? Possible. His record couldn't be better though.

Wilson has zero chances of being our future after this season. Might as well ride with Fields. It has been fun so far. No?

Nice to see our D playing as well as they have. Gives Fields a chance to know that he doesn't have to be THE team. Just a player on the team.

Heyward hasn’t dropped off despite fans thinking he wouldn’t recover from past injury. He was defensive leader for so long those types don’t always fall off a cliff. Sometimes Father Time sure not always.
Still don't know if he is worth $16 mill a year this season ....yet for 2 more afterwards. Hell.....we didn't want to pick up Harris' 5th year option for half of that salary for the year. Mind boggling honestly.

Regardless, you will acknowledge this OL has been a trainwreck for almost a decade?

I will certainly acknowledge lots of injuries this year and tons of moving parts but ****.
I will. Colbert completely ignored using any meaningful draft picks on it for a decade.

Will you now acknowledge that it takes time for an OL to get up to running speed with as many changes as they've had the past 2 seasons. Or are you complaining just because?

Still don't know if he is worth $16 mill a year this season ....yet for 2 more afterwards.

So far, he has been worth it. Hard to imagine there is a DT in the league playing better than him through three games, especially against the run.

The question is whether he can continue playing like this without breaking down at some point.

I will. Colbert completely ignored using any meaningful draft picks on it for a decade.

Will you now acknowledge that it takes time for an OL to get up to running speed with as many changes as they've had the past 2 seasons. Or are you complaining just because?
Not complaining just because. That’s not me, you must have me confused with someone else.

If watched this train wreck of an O for too long. I see it end BB career early imo. It’s been a complete **** show. I can’t even recall when they were good.

So far, he has been worth it. Hard to imagine there is a DT in the league playing better than him through three games, especially against the run.

The question is whether he can continue playing like this without breaking down at some point.
I don't know.....last week I did not even know he played. He had a good game. I don't watch other games. Especially to watch DTs/DEs or whatever you want to call Cams position. I will take your word on he is the BEST player at his position this season
...even though I am highly doubtful of it.

Temper expectations? I doubt think the Fields expectations can be tempered more than what they have been.

The Fields haters used the limited play calling to hammer on Fields. Like most couldn't see it was the play calling that was holding him back.

Even Romo was giving him praise for his reads....and plays he made. Yet we still had people stating Fields looks confused during his reads.

I am happy with I have seen from Fields. Is he perfect? Nope. Can he improve? Sure. We are 3 and 0 though.

Fields is hitting over 73% of his passes. Taken limited number of sacks. Has thrown only a handful of horrible passes. Could Wilson's stats be better? Possible. His record couldn't be better though.

Wilson has zero chances of being our future after this season. Might as well ride with Fields. It has been fun so far. No?

Nice to see our D playing as well as they have. Gives Fields a chance to know that he doesn't have to be THE team. Just a player on the team.

There was a Bears fan that posted here shortly after acquiring Fields. He said he spoke for many Bears fans about being upset over letting Fields go. He said Fields was screwed over in Chicago, and if I remember correctly, he predicted Fields would succeed here.
So far so good.

I think one thing being overlooked is the special teams. Punting was very good, but the kickoff coverage was special. Boz was Boz. We got some other WRs involved. Miller and CAIII stepped up. Muth caught multiple passes. Seems like the coaches trusted fields more and let him go even with the lead. Najee got going late, Jones played decent after a rough start. Not too many negatives today