• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jets Coach Did Not Want Le'Veon Bell

I suspect that the organization’s viewpoint of Le’Veon evolved as he held out further and further into the season. I’m sure when they offered a contract and tried to tag him, they valued his on-field contributions enough to overcome whatever problems he posed.. but by the end of the year, they were done

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I suspect that the organization’s viewpoint of Le’Veon evolved as he held out further and further into the season. I’m sure when they offered a contract and tried to tag him, they valued his on-field contributions enough to overcome whatever problems he posed.. but by the end of the year, they were done

Yep

two progressive headaches that eventually had to be excommunicado'd.

They could have revoked the tag at any time and they didn't. He could have signed at any time and he didn't. I don't believe for a second that they thought Bell was the greatest RB in the league at the start of the year and they had to have him and then by the end of the year he was a "Distraction" and they were glad he was gone. Makes no sense to me. Fact is the organization is bi-polar right now. They are willing to break the bank for Bell but then don't even draft a RB high when he leaves. Conner was hurt at the end of last season and Snell is the opposite of Bell. Snell is a power back that isn't a pass catcher. He hits the hole fast and hard.

Again I have no problem not taking a RB high. I'm just saying their philosophy makes no sense and the way they draft makes no sense. They weren't willing to go into the season 2 years ago with a young inexperienced RB by committee and that's when Ben is younger. So they tagged Bell at around $14 million. Same last year but they were forced use Conner and others. Now when Ben is 2 years older they don't need no stinkin' high priced RB, they'll go with a often injured young starter and a group of inexperienced RBs. Their philosophy is mind boggling.

In fairness, earlier in his career Pouncey was always hurt too. So much so, in fact that I had essentially given up on him. He has since proven very reliable on the injury front. I sincerely hope Conner and McDonald can do the same.

Draft made perfect sense to me. They brought in free agents at weak positions at ILB,WR, and CB. Arguably the weakest areas of the team.

And attacked those weak areas in the draft.

You had two capable RBs that were productive at two different points and time spans within the season. So they didn't see the RB as the greatest weakness.

I disagree with the tag they put on Bell, but they made every effort to pay the man. And when the man held out another man jumped in and showed that he was capable in Conner.

So going into this draft with a year to look at the situation, and evaluate it. They went with the approach that they did.

This offseason they were more aggressive in free agency and the draft.

And for me that is all I could hope for.

If anything there shouldn't be any coaching excuses if they fall short.

Only thing I would have liked to see was a better kicking option brought in.

Draft made perfect sense to me. They brought in free agents at weak positions at ILB,WR, and CB. Arguably the weakest areas of the team.

And attacked those weak areas in the draft.

You had two capable RBs that were productive at two different points and time spans within the season. So they didn't see the RB as the greatest weakness.

I disagree with the tag they put on Bell, but they made every effort to pay the man. And when the man held out another man jumped in and showed that he was capable in Conner.

So going into this draft with a year to look at the situation, and evaluate it. They went with the approach that they did.

This offseason they were more aggressive in free agency and the draft.

And for me that is all I could hope for.

If anything there shouldn't be any coaching excuses if they fall short.

Only thing I would have liked to see was a better kicking option brought in.

I disagree with some things they did in the draft but the fans always have excuses. They had no excuses 2 years ago. They had none last year. But still they can't get it done. Same will happen this year. If they don't go far it will be more excuses. "They lost AB and Bell" or "The defense is young they need time to gel" or "The WRs are young and need time to gel" ETC....

There is always an excuse for someone that is looking for one.

I disagree with some things they did in the draft but the fans always have excuses. They had no excuses 2 years ago. They had none last year. But still they can't get it done. Same will happen this year. If they don't go far it will be more excuses. "They lost AB and Bell" or "The defense is young they need time to gel" or "The WRs are young and need time to gel" ETC....

There is always an excuse for someone that is looking for one.

We know the coaching issues this team has.

Most fans wanted a coaching change, so I don't think I buy into fans dishing out excuses. Not on a large scale at least.

For me it is hoping for the best..Despite their obvious shortcomings.

And I try to be objective and give credit when credit is due. As I give blame when that is due as well.

It is your option to think of things as bipolar, but they cleaned out the malcontents.

Attacked some glaring issues draft wise.

On a team that had no intentions of canning Tomlin one can at least hope for enough changes that the season ends with better results.

I think in some areas they gave themselves a fighting chance to do just that.

They could have revoked the tag at any time and they didn't. He could have signed at any time and he didn't. I don't believe for a second that they thought Bell was the greatest RB in the league at the start of the year and they had to have him and then by the end of the year he was a "Distraction" and they were glad he was gone. Makes no sense to me. Fact is the organization is bi-polar right now. They are willing to break the bank for Bell but then don't even draft a RB high when he leaves. Conner was hurt at the end of last season and Snell is the opposite of Bell. Snell is a power back that isn't a pass catcher. He hits the hole fast and hard.

Again I have no problem not taking a RB high. I'm just saying their philosophy makes no sense and the way they draft makes no sense. They weren't willing to go into the season 2 years ago with a young inexperienced RB by committee and that's when Ben is younger. So they tagged Bell at around $14 million. Same last year but they were forced use Conner and others. Now when Ben is 2 years older they don't need no stinkin' high priced RB, they'll go with a often injured young starter and a group of inexperienced RBs. Their philosophy is mind boggling.

It's hard to argue any of this. Different circumstances obviously dictated different decision-making etc. but the whole Le'Veon Bell saga is a strange one, and not just because of him.

We know the coaching issues this team has.

Most fans wanted a coaching change, so I don't think I buy into fans dishing out excuses. Not on a large scale at least.

For me it is hoping for the best..Despite their obvious shortcomings.

And I try to be objective and give credit when credit is due. As I give blame when that is due as well.

It is your option to think of things as bipolar, but they cleaned out the malcontents.

Attacked some glaring issues draft wise.

On a team that had no intentions of canning Tomlin one can at least hope for enough changes that the season ends with better results.

I think in some areas they gave themselves a fighting chance to do just that.

I understand Tomlin isn't going anywhere but there are plenty of fans that still give excuses. This year is was "If the kicker had made those FGs we would be in the playoffs". We also heard about Bell this year during the season when Conner went down. "IF Bell were just here". Hell there were entire threads started about the Steelers "missing" Bell.

Let the drama unfold. Maybe the Steelers will win against the Jets this year, it's one of those they "should" win.

I put the entire Brown crap-show on Tomlin. Had he managed his players better and avoided the favoritism and fawning that he obviously pushed Brown's way, he likely would not have been the complete basket-case he turned into.

This year, Tomlin has got to demonstrate that he can coach the team to an upper-tier performance when, for the first time in his ENTIRE career he doesn't have the entire offense stocked with ringers. He's got 1 H.O.F. guy now and one up and coming receiver. Fortunately he still has one of the best offensive lines in football, but he's lost the coach that built, molded and coached up those guys. So it will be very interesting to see how that unfolds.

Tomlin, in my opinion, has no excuses whatsoever. He's added talent to the defense. That is his area of specialty so I expect the defense to start pulling their own weight plus some this season. Fans cannot reasonably expect the offense to put up the kind of numbers they have in the past. That is completely unrealistic. Now they need to be a more ball-control, get a lead and hold it kind of team. That is entirely on Tomlin. 100%

I put the entire Brown crap-show on Tomlin. Had he managed his players better and avoided the favoritism and fawning that he obviously pushed Brown's way, he likely would not have been the complete basket-case he turned into.

This year, Tomlin has got to demonstrate that he can coach the team to an upper-tier performance when, for the first time in his ENTIRE career he doesn't have the entire offense stocked with ringers. He's got 1 H.O.F. guy now and one up and coming receiver. Fortunately he still has one of the best offensive lines in football, but he's lost the coach that built, molded and coached up those guys. So it will be very interesting to see how that unfolds.

Tomlin, in my opinion, has no excuses whatsoever. He's added talent to the defense. That is his area of specialty so I expect the defense to start pulling their own weight plus some this season. Fans cannot reasonably expect the offense to put up the kind of numbers they have in the past. That is completely unrealistic. Now they need to be a more ball-control, get a lead and hold it kind of team. That is entirely on Tomlin. 100%

i wish that was true but i dont think rooney feels that way

Interesting tidbit from Peter King...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...44=1#10-things-i-think-i-think?cid=fmiatwNBCS

• I assume the reports of Gase not wanting Le’Veon Bell for $13.5 million a year are true. (I don’t blame him.) But the leaks in that building are never-ending, and in this case, the leaks could drive a wedge between a guy who doesn’t seem very happy to be a Jet in the first place, Bell, and the guy who’s going to be calling his number this fall. Gase better figure a way to tamp that down. I don’t know if he can.

Looks like someone is learning what color the grass is on the other side of the fence, and quickly.

Popcorn,.................. With butter is an above the neck decision. Now obviously you need a little salt and a Jumbotron...........

Salute the nation

It's called guaranteed money". something the Steelers absolutely will NOT do - for anyone but Ben.

It's called guaranteed money". something the Steelers absolutely will NOT do - for anyone but Ben.

Bell knew if he signed he would have gotten the money he signed for. It wasn't about that. It was about his ego. In the end, he took less with the Jets. Chances are looking as he won't see the end of his contract with them and he hasn't even played a down for them yet. Add in the lost season and his whole guaranteed angle is lost. Amazing how the media played this that Bell got what he wanted ...total FA. LOL...Yep. He got it but lost millions doing it.

It's called a "signing bonus" and his slightly less pretty cousin the "roster bonus"... Those are guaranteed. A fella just has to show up.

It's called a "signing bonus" and his slightly less pretty cousin the "roster bonus"... Those are guaranteed. A fella just has to show up.

Which I think is what Bell wants since his odds of playing 16 games and hitting incentive bonuses are pretty slim.