• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Just watched the Clowns replay

It is virtually impossible to identify who sucks most, Canada, The O-line or Pickett.

But, with Canada gone, I guess we'll find out
I think it is all of them until they show better minus Canada who was just plain awful. I think the firing will show if anything a sense of urgency.

But yeah as I often say it is a wait and see.

I think it is all of them until they show better minus Canada who was just plain awful. I think the firing will show if anything a sense of urgency.

But yeah as I often say it is a wait and see.
We all know Canada was terrible, beyond terrible. When opponents are quoted - several times from several different games - saying that they knew the what the plays were before the snap of the ball, you've got real problems with the play caller/developer that should be dealt with immediately (we took almost 3 years). We ran the exact same play sometimes 10 times in a single game, pathetic. Our OC was legendarily bad, so very bad. And only in Pgh could a coach THAT bad last for almost 3 years.

But that being said, the horrid offense has other root problems, with the OL and QB being among them. But even with the OC and OL garbage being a reality, Kenny has been putrid in his own right. There ARE plays when he gets time to throw, has men open, and STILL stares down only ONE receiver and doesn't even LOOK for other targets. This is the Kenny norm. And on top of that, usually makes off-target, errant throws. NO offense can succeed with such lousy QB play. The man barely threw for over 100 yards for two games in a row. That's lousy for high school football.

ONE of the major problems has been addressed, we will have to see how much it helps to be rid of the horrid OC. I'm not sure how interim OCs will help, we need a fulltime new OC who should have been sought last offseason, obviously. But no other OCs had given Shades' son a scholarship, so....

Of course I don’t know for sure, but KP may be staring down the receiver because that is his directed only option. Just because other guys may be open, they could just be window dressing. There were stories about Canada and Ben going head to head over his freelancing. Hell, it was reported that he wasn’t allowed to audible. I just think Ben ignored Canada a good deal of the time, because he was Ben. I doubt the other guys could’ve gotten away with it.
I have to think that Canada in his mind was trying to make things easier for KP by only giving him part of the field and a single read. The problem with that was it limited KP’s growth, and allowed the D to only have to defend 10% of the field.

It is virtually impossible to identify who sucks most, Canada, The O-line or Pickett.

The pass blocking has been subpar that I see and we know about the easy to decipher offense. Zero play action even with a running game that's producing.

And you have Pickett either not seeing the guys who are open or he's too scared to throw the damn thing. He's probably seeing ghosts at this point. Either way he's got to fix that **** real fast or he will be on the massive pile of former starting Steeler quarterbacks who couldn't get it done.

If he hadn't shown the ability to be on target and lead the team late in games, he would have already been pulled. I want that guy back,but for 4 quarters of football.

He's done well in uptempo timing routes in the 2 min offense. And that's really what it comes down to. Everyone must be on the same page.

That stuff will take time and everyone has to out in extra work or it just won't happen. You can't half *** that stuff and hope it goes well.

From what I've heard from the interim OC, the words "attention to detail" stuck out.

He's got to produce soon or he's going to lose the starting job, they'll bring in competition and he will have to win it back again or be stuck in backup land like the other two quarterbacks on the team.

I'm pulling for him. I really like the guy, but the team is always first and what's best for it. That includes coaches. Not that I can do **** about any of it. I just want more championships. I detest being tied with pats**** for superbowl wins.

It's going to be wait and see. The best-case scenario is we see immediate improvement and the O can score some points. Next, would be we see minimal changes this year but under an entirely new O staff next year we see significant changes all around. Changes to the point the O can actually go out and win a game without complete reliance on the D. Worst case is we see little to no improvement this year or next. If this happens, we will need to look for another QB in the 2025 draft. In all scenarios, if KP has any flicker of what they saw in him when they drafted him, he should be the QB through the 2024 season to give him a fair shot at being a true NFL QB capable of leading the team.

In all cases, the entire O staff needs to go so the team can start over.

Last edited:

Are you going to walk on some broken glass before pissing on an electric fence? I assume you like to hurt yourself if you watched that game again.

Last edited:
I don't see Tomlin building a dominant O line, team, etc. Until he's gone, it's middle of the pack-ville for us

I think BEN’s ability to extend plays gave Tomlin an over-confidence level of what was needed at OL.

Look what just one exceptional (Broderick Jones) drafted player has made an impact on…….OL

Imagine if just one/two more were drafted HIGH, the impact they would make. C / LT

Salute the nation

I think BEN’s ability to extend plays gave Tomlin an over-confidence level of what was needed at OL.

Look what just one exceptional (Broderick Jones) drafted player has made an impact on…….OL

Imagine if just one/two more were drafted HIGH, the impact they would make. C / LT

Salute the nation

Its said a great line can be made from one exceptional Olman, one above average one, and the rest can be average…

We have been trying to get by with 2 average guards, one mediocre C, and two rather subpar Tackles…

Of course I don’t know for sure, but KP may be staring down the receiver because that is his directed only option. Just because other guys may be open, they could just be window dressing. There were stories about Canada and Ben going head to head over his freelancing. Hell, it was reported that he wasn’t allowed to audible. I just think Ben ignored Canada a good deal of the time, because he was Ben. I doubt the other guys could’ve gotten away with it.
I have to think that Canada in his mind was trying to make things easier for KP by only giving him part of the field and a single read. The problem with that was it limited KP’s growth, and allowed the D to only have to defend 10% of the field.
It's the same thing I noticed about my son's high school team. The coordinator calls the play before even looking at what the defense is doing, then the QB runs that play and that play only. No audibles, no progressions, throw it to Player A whether he's covered or not. My son's 6'5, 205, and had single coverage by a 5'9 or smaller CB dozens of times this past season, with the high safety on the other side of the field at the snap. Not once did they take advantage. He still led the league in yardage.

Scary that there are so many similarities in an NFL offense. Does it somehow relate back to Tomlin's "We Do What We Do" mantra? I don't know, but a distinct pattern has been emerging over the past several years with the Steelers, on both sides of the ball. I suppose we'll get some slight clarification with Canada gone.

We shall see this Sunday but in all honesty I’m not really expecting much. Yes Canada is gone and that’s a good thing but same playbook and scheme since as we all know it’s ridiculous to think you can start over with new system in season. Now what I’m going to be looking for from the great Sully/Faulkner duo is the sequencing of playcalling, are they calling the correct plays based on the defense. Can they make adjustments, will they start using play action, employing the middle of the field, reintroducing the TE back into the offense. Can these two establish a rhythm and flow in this offense. That’s what I’ll be looking for from these two.
And please let’s stop with this let’s get em in a rock fight and play snail ball the first half. That’s on Tomlin and I think it hasn’t helped Kenny develop any type of flow for the offense. Much too conservative to the point of predictability with this offense.
Lastly, Kenny absolutely must make the plays and see the field much better. Stop running into sacks but step up into the pocket and have a better vision of the field. Stop staring down and locking on to a receiver. Make the easy throws! Stop underthrowing and overthrowing receivers. Improve communication between your receivers. Get on the same page with these receivers. If I don’t see better work from Kenny the next seven games in what I just mentioned, then the Steelers must redraft the QB position in 2024 at whatever cost it takes since it’s a deep QB draft.
I have to see these improvements otherwise no change in OC will fix Kenny.

It's the same thing I noticed about my son's high school team. The coordinator calls the play before even looking at what the defense is doing, then the QB runs that play and that play only. No audibles, no progressions, throw it to Player A whether he's covered or not. My son's 6'5, 205, and had single coverage by a 5'9 or smaller CB dozens of times this past season, with the high safety on the other side of the field at the snap. Not once did they take advantage. He still led the league in yardage.

Scary that there are so many similarities in an NFL offense. Does it somehow relate back to Tomlin's "We Do What We Do" mantra? I don't know, but a distinct pattern has been emerging over the past several years with the Steelers, on both sides of the ball. I suppose we'll get some slight clarification with Canada gone.
Oh man, it's depressing to think our O has so many similarities to a HS team, and I believe it on a full scale. Just depressing.

if KP has any flicker of what they saw in him when they drafted him, he should be the QB through the 2024 season to give him a fair shot at being a true NFL QB capable of leading the team.
Unless he remains this horrid for the rest of 2023, then I say it's time to make some new plans; he's just been God awful in 2023, horrid OC or not. There's been a plethora of plays where KP has f--d up, had time to throw, had open receivers and either didn't see them or threw inaccurate passes. Either way, not good enough, no excuses.

I am still of the opinion that Canada was pissed off that Kenny changed the play on that TD to Pickens. I don't buy excuses that say otherwise.

Or upgrade C in free agency.

Unless he’s a TOP end center, I’d pass. We need a 1st rounder (if justified ability) Center or FA but top end type, not just a fill the gap type FA.

I don’t think salary cap will allow the pay for the level of center we need. Go big or go home.!!!

Salute the nation

Unless he’s a TOP end center, I’d pass. We need a 1st rounder (if justified ability) Center or FA but top end type, not just a fill the gap type FA.

I don’t think salary cap will allow the pay for the level of center we need. Go big or go home.!!!

Salute the nation
Problem is not sure there is a first round talent at C in the draft. Of course in free agency I would want an upgrade. If one isn't available I would try to snag a C in 2 or 3...

Problem is not sure there is a first round talent at C in the draft. Of course in free agency I would want an upgrade. If one isn't available I would try to snag a C in 2 or 3...

YES SIR, get a top talent, but not a “Green” type draft pick. If that talent is there and justified, pull the trigger. If NOT, FA will be the way.

Hind-sight is 20/20, Humphreys would have looked good even back then, either 1st or 2nd. Can’t change the past, but definitely need a Bona ride upgrade.

Maybe that coveted LT will be there. I just want trench workers NOT ignored as in the past.

Salute the nation

Maybe that coveted LT will be there. I just want trench workers NOT ignored as in the past.

Salute the nation
I’m not sure we need to go LT again. They need a C a G and then a RT. Moore can compete for RT with the rookie.

personally, I would love to get a great ILB if possible early, but not over pay.