• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JUSTIN FIELDS

For a second? Sorry that is just too pricey. His turnovers are concerning. Have to say no thank you.

If Rudy returns, then I see a mid-rnd pick to be the #3. Trubisky gone if Rudy returns.

Salute the nation

You really have to wonder about a team willing to pay such a horrid backup QB so much. You just have to question their judgment - questionable at best.
You really have to wonder about how the Steelers saw 1 year of Mitch and thought, we need to extend this steaming pile of crap

That moves from questionable to downright blinders on bumbling idiots

You really have to wonder about how the Steelers saw 1 year of Mitch and thought, we need to extend this steaming pile of crap

They extended him to become the primary B/U, AND reduce his cap hit. He then proceeded to play himself out of the B/U role, so now his cap number is way too high.

$3 million is a lot for a 3rd string QB. Saving $3 million is better than saving nothing. Unless Mason leaves and the Steelers decide to go with Mitch again as the backup, I doubt he stays.
So is a $4.6 million dead cap hit. I don't think Rudolph stays at this point. He'll get the opportunity somewhere else that he didn't have last year.

Justin Feilds started = 40 games

Interceptions=======30

fumbles===========38

All per DK sports

My Take
Our coaching staff (Tomlin) detests turn overs, I highly doubt Fields will wear the B & G.

Salute the nation

38 fumbles is hard to believe. NFL.com has him with 38 fumbles. 15 are listed as rushing fumbles which leaves 23 fumbles while passing. Are these bad snaps? Are these botched read option exchanges?

It's still not good but I have a feeling that 38 includes a bunch that weren't really his fault.

I would not trade a 2 for Fields. I'd consider it for a 3rd because he does have an elite skillset and that would be worth the gamble there. Also consider, they may be able to get a 3rd if they traded Kenny. If you trade for Fields or another vet starter, then I think you have to trade Kenny.

So is a $4.6 million dead cap hit. I don't think Rudolph stays at this point. He'll get the opportunity somewhere else that he didn't have last year.

If I'm Mason, I'm waiting until after draft and free agency to sign anywhere. Pick a situation where you have a legit place to start. That could be Pitt if they don't draft a QB with a high pick or sign/trade for an established veteran. No way I'd sign somewhere and then find myself in the same situation where you get passed over for an unproven young QB.

If I'm Mason, I'm waiting until after draft and free agency to sign anywhere. Pick a situation where you have a legit place to start. That could be Pitt if they don't draft a QB with a high pick or sign/trade for an established veteran. No way I'd sign somewhere and then find myself in the same situation where you get passed over for an unproven young QB.
This is the Not For Long League. Weigh that money and get what you can get. The most money offered will more than likely get him a chance to start through competition. But sure he needs to eval Pittsburgh and see if he thinks that his a legitimate chance with them.

The $4.6 million is gone regardless of whether he’s on the team or not. It’s irrelevant to future decision making.

I don't think Chicago is trading fields anyway. There is no clear cut #1 QB in the draft. The bears showed a little life at the end of the year so i think fields will get one more shot. I would try to trade the pick if i was the bears and upgrade a few positions instead As for Mason i don't see him staying here. I think it will create a weird team dynamic that Tomlin doesn't want to deal with.

They extended him to become the primary B/U, AND reduce his cap hit. He then proceeded to play himself out of the B/U role, so now his cap number is way too high.
Push money down the road to retain garbage and then find yourself circling the trash bin in free agency Cuz of pushing money down the road to retain garbage players

Brilliant!!!

I'm not saying 'no' outright, because I do agree w/ your assessment of Fields at a high-level.

What scares/concerns me is 'another QB from Chicago' on the roster...Tribby gave us a false sense of hope - will Justin do the same???

I'll wait for @SteelBuckeye to give his blessing on this decision...
Nope. The only reason I would be for bringing Fields on board would be because of his success as a Buckeye. Unfortunately, that success hasn’t transferred to the NFL. Not all great college QBs become great NFL QBs.
Maybe Fields does get it together. He’s become better each of the last two years. But, I don’t think the Steelers should gamble assets and cap space on that “maybe”

I don't think Chicago is trading fields anyway. There is no clear cut #1 QB in the draft. The bears showed a little life at the end of the year so i think fields will get one more shot. I would try to trade the pick if i was the bears and upgrade a few positions instead As for Mason i don't see him staying here. I think it will create a weird team dynamic that Tomlin doesn't want to deal with.
I almost think they have to go QB, they're drafting #1 in a QB heavy top 10, Fields stats are mediocre at best, 38 career fumbles or something crazy. if I were the Bears and someone offered something decent for Fields I'm taking it.

It goes back to ego protection once again; instead of admitting a mistake they stay with their horrid decision and double down on it, acting/pretending like he was a good decision all along, instead of just admitting his signing was an error of judgement. It's quite unbelievable. I think it's obvious it was a Deuce decision all along. "Don't second guess the boss. He's right even when he's wrong."

Push money down the road to retain garbage and then find yourself circling the trash bin in free agency Cuz of pushing money down the road to retain garbage players

Brilliant!!!
I happen to agree with you, but the Salary Cap forces teams to do things that are not always in their best interests, when they make financial mistakes in the first place.

Trubinsky signing MAY been a questionable signing originally, by financial terms defiantly made it one. Year 2 created too much “Dead Money” to cut him and then be forced to replace him, so you are FORCED to extend him to lower his number, AND still have what you believe to be the B/U at that position.

And when we trott out Kenny as our stater nothing will change in 2024. Our qbr will still be among the worst in the NFL.
QBR is a garbage meaningless stat. Its literally a couple people at espn grading what they think about a qb play without knowing any of the facts needed for subjective grading. Ben routinely had piss poor QBR stats... Lamar " im a rb" Jackson was like 4th in QBR this year... because its a ******* popularity contest ranking, not a real stat

The $4.6 million is gone regardless of whether he’s on the team or not. It’s irrelevant to future decision making.
It's not irrelevant to future decision-making, because if Trubisky's not on the team, then they have to find another backup quarterback, and figure out how much they can pay that player.

$3 million is a lot for a third-string QB, but keep in mind that this is the team which paid Rudolph precisely that amount to be their #3 quarterback in 2022.

It's not irrelevant to future decision-making, because if Trubisky's not on the team, then they have to find another backup quarterback, and figure out how much they can pay that player.

$3 million is a lot for a third-string QB, but keep in mind that this is the team which paid Rudolph precisely that amount to be their #3 quarterback in 2022.
Right, but they could draft a QB in the mid to late rounds as the 3rd QB and still save money cutting Trubisky. The $4.6 million isn't a reason to keep him.

I personally don't get all the trade hype around Fields and the Steelers. Is it because some think he only needs a change of scenery and the Steelers proven talent developers can turn him into an elite NFL QB? We already have the higher picked Bears first round QB draft bust on our team. I'm fine not adding another.

Justin Fields took some of those Dr. Oz bioheal gummies spamming this board.

Would look great in the B&G after those gummies

I happen to agree with you, but the Salary Cap forces teams to do things that are not always in their best interests, when they make financial mistakes in the first place.

Trubinsky signing MAY been a questionable signing originally, by financial terms defiantly made it one. Year 2 created too much “Dead Money” to cut him and then be forced to replace him, so you are FORCED to extend him to lower his number, AND still have what you believe to be the B/U at that position.
you simply don't fix mistakes by making more mistakes, in these situations two negatives don't make a positive
if ya make a mistake take your damn medicine and deal with it
another mistake won't fix a damn thing

they were in no way FORCED to extend him, several other options were available to them
Khan is not such a moron that there is only 1 play or only 1 player on a team
He's been around long enough to know there are several options in roster construction in any given situation
If you ever paint yourself into a 1 option corner than you really suck at painting/your job

I personally don't get all the trade hype around Fields and the Steelers. Is it because some think he only needs a change of scenery and the Steelers proven talent developers can turn him into an elite NFL QB? We already have the higher picked Bears first round QB draft bust on our team. I'm fine not adding another.
a fumble prone QB with accuracy issues
for vet minimum as a free agent with no trade compensation-sure, bring him in and kick the tires...

anything more than that would be uncivilized.

you simply don't fix mistakes by making more mistakes, in these situations two negatives don't make a positive
if ya make a mistake take your damn medicine and deal with it
another mistake won't fix a damn thing

they were in no way FORCED to extend him, several other options were available to them
Khan is not such a moron that there is only 1 play or only 1 player on a team
He's been around long enough to know there are several options in roster construction in any given situation
If you ever paint yourself into a 1 option corner than you really suck at painting/your job
Your such a genius, it’s a wonder you are not a GM for 3 teams at once.

Without a salary cap, I would agree with most everything thing you said. Unfortunately making decisions in the Salary cap era, are completely different.

It's just common sense MT-it doesn't take a genius

But thanks for recognizing my genius, but no damn way I'd be a GM, I don't believe in working over 40hrs in a week so 1 team would be too much, much less 3
Can't poke holes in the argument so ya might as well take shots at me, laughable...that's generally what people that can't refute the argument end up doing

Thanks for playing...making decisions in the salary cap era doesn't change one damn thing about the FACT that you don't fix a mistake by adding another to it

Yea, I guess I was "trying to be nice." Some of this team's decisions fall into the "and what in the F were they thinking?" category as some Yinzer fans try desperately to defend the cracked decisions. Bring back Canada after 2 record-setting horrid offensive play was beyond questionable, but there it lays; they actually thought that was a wise move. But it all come back o the head coach and his disastrous decision making, and to the owner, giving Shades the lattitude to make the decisions. Just God awful.

At least there are signs that Deuce has taken some of the decisions out of Shades control, It really hasn't gone too well with Shades calling the shots. But if we end up with the same kind of futility on offense with Smith as OC, we are in serious trouble as a team with Shades as HC. Can we at least improve our PPG instead of going backwards like last year? From 17 PPG to 25? Doubtful. Our mandatory starting QB is good for 1/2 a TD pass a game....1/2.