• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett Year 2....EXPECTATIONS....

The problem is that a rookie QB's success is going to be measured by fans against guys like Mahomes and Burrow. There's a reason there is only one Patrick Mahomes. Those guys don't grow on trees.

I think most people judged Pickett as a rookie. If Mason Rudolph or Mitch put up the same exact season as Pickett, they’d both be roasted as ineffective. Heck, Mason would get roasted if there was a video of him taking out his trash. How dare he use drawstring bags!

I see this offense as severely limited. That alone somewhat caps my expectation of the QB in this offense. Just watch that video and it’s the checkdowns that are open. Hard to sustain offense without big plays.

Yep here's that chyt...

Coach Canada calls the plays, son. Coach may recommend in certain situations but the play calling is on Matt.

Now, about Kenny's production...

I expect 24 TDs, 5 INTs, 5 rushing TDs, and 6 sacks on the year. Total passing yards - 2999.
Big Ben only managed 22 TDs in Matt Canada's offense. Pickett throwing 24 in year two will be a huge stretch, IMO, especially when they want to run the ball.

If the Steelers can score 24 points a game, that is 408 total.
Boz averages about 110 per season, so TDs need to be about 300 points, or about 50ish for the season.
If the D gets 4, special teams gets the usual 0, the RBs get 15 rushing, then you need about 30 more to come from KFP, running or passing.
I do not care how far he runs, or passes, as long as the QB of the Steelers can produce almost 2 TDs per game.

Big Ben only managed 22 TDs in Matt Canada's offense. Pickett throwing 24 in year two will be a huge stretch, IMO, especially when they want to run the ball.
To be fair Roethlisberger was about 65% of what he was and his line was probably the worst offensive line put together in the history of the franchise.

Part 2 of Warner's breakdown on KP and more jabs at Canada's offense. Multiple plays where Warner just says he doesn’t know what they’re doing with the route combos..

Pickett or O’Canada ?

Salute the nation

Warner did one or two other analyses of Pickett last season and there was some criticism of the play calling and design there as well.

It does kind of reinforce concerns about whether Pickett has the right coaching to realize whatever potential he has.
Meh Mike Sullivan is the QB coach and he got a lot out of Manning 3.0… who I thought was the least Manning of all the nfl Mannings..

The NFL doesn't put any stock into the Wonderlic anymore either. They got rid of it and replaced it with the S2 test. I don't think there's been any statistical evidence between Wonderlic scores and NFL success either.

The wonderlic is basically a 90 year old psych exam developed by a psychologist. It doesn’t try to measure IQ, its based on dated Psych keys… the trick is to skip all the complicated questions and just grab the gimmes and do guesstimates on the others. You have less than 15 seconds per question and many are written to be time crunches…

In an era when pen and paper were the only thing that they had, it tried its best… but for what it is billed as… a cognitive test that judges the best employees, its a crappy way to do it..

Im not going to get into the specifics.. there are thousands of articles and research papers devoted to that… it quickly grew into a business fad and has taken almost a century to realize that in most cases it had no merit…

Now here is the rub.. go to any single wonderlic site and they are blowing themselves about what a great tool it is… yet every single study trying to correlate it to any sort of success has shown it’s totally horseshit.
For instance for my adult life I’ve always heard that “ rule of 26” crap recited around each draft…
Well the NFL did an actual study and found that not one single viable stat correlated to wonderlic scores above 2%… it’s literally useless…

Part 2 of Warner's breakdown on KP and more jabs at Canada's offense. Multiple plays where Warner just says he doesn't know what they're doing with the route combos.

They don't know what they are doing , meaning the coaches Tomlin & Canada or Pickett doesn't know what he's doing? Why do I get the feeling it's a bit of both. Kurt Warner's QB break downs are excellent. Not only is he a HOF QB, but you can tell he knows his stuff.

I think Pickets lacks the arm to successfully complete and threaten an opposing defense on the 5,6,7,8, and 9 routes. He was the 2nd worst QB in the NFL on these routes and the has Pickens. The velocity on his passes well sucks and he not that accurate despite completing a lot of sub of sub 5 yard passes ( the distance the ball travels )..of the check down version. Dude is a game manager and other QB's that are back ups can do that...without being Ko'd out of two games in a limited amount of starts.

They don't know what they are doing , meaning the coaches Tomlin & Canada or Pickett doesn't know what he's doing? Why do I get the feeling it's a bit of both. Kurt Warner's QB break downs are excellent. Not only is he a HOF QB, but you can tell he knows his stuff.

I think Pickets lacks the arm to successfully complete and threaten an opposing defense on the 5,6,7,8, and 9 routes. He was the 2nd worst QB in the NFL on these routes and the has Pickens. The velocity on his passes well sucks and he not that accurate despite completing a lot of sub of sub 5 yard passes ( the distance the ball travels )..of the check down version. Dude is a game manager and other QB's that are back ups can do that...without being Ko'd out of two games in a limited amount of starts.
There you go thinking again. So expand on these 5,6,7,8 and 9 routes. I think you are 1 2 3 4 full of sh!t.

There you go thinking again. So expand on these 5,6,7,8 and 9 routes. I think you are 1 2 3 4 full of sh!t.

I think you lack the football understand of what I am talking about.

I think you lack the football understand of what I am talking about.
Well by all means explain the 5,6,7,8, and 9 routes. And show an example of Pickett's short comings in this area.

Coach not all those routes require a strong arm and in fact the 9 route (fade) you need almost no arm to get that one done. Just accuracy and timing. I would say an out route (5) is the most important to have arm strength. Kenny has enough. Not great but he has an NFL arm. He doesn't have Roethlisbergers arm when he was 25 but he also doesn't have Chad Pennington's arm either. I would say my biggest concern would be his decision making. I would say most of his interceptions were ill advised throws. The good news is that is correctable. If he was getting picked off because of his arm you likely aren't going to add 5mph to your throw when you are 25 to make up for it. But you can learn to read the defense better and anticipate where to throw the ball better. I just don't understand why you won't give Pickett a shot. I mean there's guys cough*Jarvis Jones*cough that I KNEW had bust written all over him. I still rooted for him to succeed and gave him a chance. And I have said from the get go I will not judge Pickett as a whole until year three is complete. He had a poor first half of the season last year. BUT he did improve his decision making. I expect he will throw more tds this first half of the season than he did last half of the season last year. And I expect a similar but probably greater int ratio the first half. Because if he takes more attempts in the red zone you likely throw more picks. That is just logical thinking. So think imo would be a stat line to hope for in the first 9 games. 9 tds to 4 ints. Those aren't great numbers. But those would show a big improvement and nice step in the right direction. THAT IS WHAT WE ALL WANT AS STEELERS FANS.

coach now learned route numbers and uses them constantly to show a feel of knowledge but as always there's no backing up his statements. "Pickett has a ****** arm so he sucks" and he will die in that hill no matter what.

coach now learned route numbers and uses them constantly to show a feel of knowledge but as always there's no backing up his statements. "Pickett has a ****** arm so he sucks" and he will die in that hill no matter what.
My favorite hill he died on was the Troy head size hill and why he was going to be a bust. Classic Coach.

Coach not all those routes require a strong arm and in fact the 9 route (fade) you need almost no arm to get that one done. Just accuracy and timing. I would say an out route (5) is the most important to have arm strength. Kenny has enough. Not great but he has an NFL arm. He doesn't have Roethlisbergers arm when he was 25 but he also doesn't have Chad Pennington's arm either. I would say my biggest concern would be his decision making. I would say most of his interceptions were ill advised throws. The good news is that is correctable. If he was getting picked off because of his arm you likely aren't going to add 5mph to your throw when you are 25 to make up for it. But you can learn to read the defense better and anticipate where to throw the ball better. I just don't understand why you won't give Pickett a shot. I mean there's guys cough*Jarvis Jones*cough that I KNEW had bust written all over him. I still rooted for him to succeed and gave him a chance. And I have said from the get go I will not judge Pickett as a whole until year three is complete. He had a poor first half of the season last year. BUT he did improve his decision making. I expect he will throw more tds this first half of the season than he did last half of the season last year. And I expect a similar but probably greater int ratio the first half. Because if he takes more attempts in the red zone you likely throw more picks. That is just logical thinking. So think imo would be a stat line to hope for in the first 9 games. 9 tds to 4 ints. Those aren't great numbers. But those would show a big improvement and nice step in the right direction. THAT IS WHAT WE ALL WANT AS STEELERS FANS.
short version:

Kenny doesn't have a noodle arm.

Cooch has a noodle brain.

are you giving up on Kenny already?
He gave up on Pickett in like week 9. His take on a rookie is typical of what I was talking about earlier. If the guy doesn't come out and have a great rookie season like Herbert or Burrow, well then he sucks. Those guys are special players and they don't grow on trees. At the very least, Pickett deserves a year in an offense that isn't knee capped by a mental midget like Matt Canada. Then maybe you'll know what you have.

Pickett has been pretty mid so far. I just can't say definitively if it is Pickett Or Canada or both because the offense is a mess that sets no one up for success.

I can't believe I'm saying this now but I am starting to have doubts about Kenny Pickett's potential in the Burgh. I thought the sky was the limit for this kid but so far this season we've seen some weak spots in his game. Most importanly ball placement on deep throwns downfield......passes behind WR's or to the inside shoulder when the throws should be over the opposite side or thrown ahead of them so they can get under the football and make the easy reception. You can see all this in one on one matchups....in a regular season game....these throws are going to be easily picked off by a Safety in coverage. I hope I'm wrong but I think if things continue the way they are right now Kenny Pickett is going to struggle again in Season 2 as the Steelers starting QB.

I'm keeping my expectations for Kenny low in year 2. I expect him to take us to a Super Bowl victory but I'm not expecting him to win Super Bowl MVP.

My doubt on Kenny is his ceiling. He'll be a solid NFL QB but maybe not the guy that elevates a team. I also think Canada's offense is very limiting so it will be hard to judge Kenny. It's like judging a nascar driver when he's driving the pace car.

Based on what I've seen, the guy is Andy Dalton. Hopefully he'll improve on that.

Way way too early to label Kenny. The guy has had only one year under his belt. Hell less than a year starting. Some of yinz just need to Guns n Roses your approach to Pickett. You know.. just a little patience.

Yeah yeah

Way way too early to label Kenny. The guy has had only one year under his belt. Hell less than a year starting. Some of yinz just need to Guns n Roses your approach to Pickett. You know.. just a little patience.

Yeah yeah

Kenny ****-ing Pickett needs time to build his pow - Pow - POW- Brand.!!!

Salute the nation