• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let Cam walk

9 seems about right... But who is losing sleep over a few more than that? Definitely not where it is now...
My understanding is his salary is at $22 mill as far as a cap hit, with $16 mill as far as actual pay for 2024. Seems a little rich for a "going to be 35 in May," part time player. Fans have voiced that "he was hurt" while putting up only 2 sacks in 2023. But is a 35-year-old likely to be healthy all year at this point? How many snaps will he actually be on the field for? Even "when healthy" you see him on the sidelines a lot.

Reactions: xjx
Yea, well, it's not rocket science. Cam was born May 6th, 1989. That makes him 34 years old, and 9 months. So, you do the math. Do you want to call him 34 or 35? In 3 months he'll be 35, plenty in time to be called 35 for the very next season. So, in speaking to his age, what # would you like to use? The age he will be next season, which, with a special crack age-science-team, it has been determined that he will be 35-years-old. So, I know it sure seems insane and all, but if you're referring to Cam's age for next season, it would be more accurate to age him at 35. IF you want to specify what is age is as we speak, it's 34. Sorry for the immense confusion. But in 3 months and 4 days, he will be 35 - plenty of time for his age in the 2024 season to be 35.
You called him 34 then 35

Try to trade him
You and I both know Steelers won't trade Cam. Do something with his contract or cut him seems to be the likely routes.

All my life. Oh wait, you are one of those who thinks you are not allowed to voice any criticism on a team you are a fan of? Oh, OK, got it. That's a weird way to look at things. But OK, the Steelers are perfect and all their decisions are perfecto, go Steelers. They can do no wrong! No sense in actually thinking about their decisions, they are always perfect! Is that more like it?
100% Not true. but there is a happy medium beside "let Cam walk" and addressing the issue. If they just cut him it is a bad move. if they request him to take a pay cut or try and work it out with and the come to an impasse, then yeah it is probs right for both sides. Hope it does not come to that.

100% Not true. but there is a happy medium beside "let Cam walk" and addressing the issue. If they just cut him it is a bad move. if they request him to take a pay cut or try and work it out with and the come to an impasse, then yeah it is probs right for both sides. Hope it does not come to that.
OK, I don't seriously disagree that much. But to see his attitude which was "if they try to make me take a dollar less then I'm gone" needs adjusted. Who the F does he think he is? As if he's been making peanuts his entire career in PGH? Not so much. He can take that attitude and cram it.

I'd ask Cam to drop some bodyfat, add some muscle, work on ROM,flexibility, mobility and conditioning.

That's missing in a lot of today's high level athletes. Hell I'd be training my *** off between now and camp. They all need to. Maybe not James Harrison level of muscle, but at least that level of drive,intensity and consistency.

I'd ask Cam to drop some bodyfat, add some muscle, work on ROM,flexibility, mobility and conditioning.

That's missing in a lot of today's high level athletes. Hell I'd be training my *** off between now and camp. They all need to. Maybe not James Harrison level of muscle, but at least that level of drive,intensity and consistency.
That's interesting. I agree with everything except the body fat part, and I could be wrong about that. I am not an expert by a long shot, but sometimes I wonder if football players today are too highly tuned. They are almost track athletes or body builders. It doesn't seem to me you had the same number of injuries back in the 70s you have today. Why I say that is if you look at the Steelers first three Super Bowls in the 70s pretty much all the starters as I recall for the year started the Super Bowls. Now maybe that is just good luck, but I wonder. In '79 they lost Ham and Wagner during the year. But still, compared to today it seems like every team in the playoffs have lost a handful of normal starters. So why is that? One of my theories is that they don't train enough like football players, they train like track athletes or body builders. I think a football player needs a certain level of body fat to help absorb and avoid injury. The Steelers of the 70s were not a fat team, they were in great football shape, and I think that is a difference.

However, in 1980 the Steelers were a train wreck. There is a game against Cincy on Youtube in which Jim Smith, Theo Bell and Calvin Sweeney were the WRs, Russell Davis was in a lot at running back and Tyrone McGriff was a playing a lot at guard. Not exactly household names. I remember a little about that game. But I wonder if that was more about a lot of their players played the equivalent of a whole extra season in playoff games beginning in 1974. That is a lot of wear and tear.

That's interesting. I agree with everything except the body fat part, and I could be wrong about that. I am not an expert by a long shot, but sometimes I wonder if football players today are too highly tuned. They are almost track athletes or body builders. It doesn't seem to me you had the same number of injuries back in the 70s you have today. Why I say that is if you look at the Steelers first three Super Bowls in the 70s pretty much all the starters as I recall for the year started the Super Bowls. Now maybe that is just good luck, but I wonder. In '79 they lost Ham and Wagner during the year. But still, compared to today it seems like every team in the playoffs have lost a handful of normal starters. So why is that? One of my theories is that they don't train enough like football players, they train like track athletes or body builders. I think a football player needs a certain level of body fat to help absorb and avoid injury. The Steelers of the 70s were not a fat team, they were in great football shape, and I think that is a difference.

I never said bodybuilders and I am an expert on it.

Functional muscle will always be better than a bunch of blubber. Aaron Donald and JJ Watt are poster children for what massive functional amounts of muscle can give you, when it's combined with athletic ability.

You and I both know Steelers won't trade Cam. Do something with his contract or cut him seems to be the likely routes.
Maybe we can orchestrate a trade of Cam and Connor since having brothers on a team is Obviously the key to success

Can’t believe in a copy cat league the other teams haven’t all figured out the greatest coach ever and his key to success

"Trading him" would require another team to agree to forking out $16 mill for 2024 AND give up players/draft picks. Any team come to mind who would be that gullible to do such a transaction? I'm guessing we are on the hook for the other $6 mill, but another team would have to agree to pay the other $16 mill for 2024. And to give up a player/draft pick. Any team come to mind who would be willing to give up such for a part-time, 35-year-old DLman? (I realize you know this, asking rhetorically.)

And yet Cam acts all indignant over his contract, as if he is in position to do so. As if he has been underpaid for years and is so deserving of an additional $16 mill in 2024 and if the team even considers asking him to re-do his deal that they are so out-of-their-damn mind? Oh, and yes Cam, we drafted your damn "little meatball" brother to play TE, the only under 6' TE in the NFL. I guess we owed that to you as well. Oh and I thought Connor was the "missing piece" to make Canada's high school system work. I guess not.

I read we will be $16 mill over the cap next year. Cam is a good place to start in balancing the cap all out.

I'll say it again...I just can't figure out what Cam and his brother did to anybody. Do they run around at night and shiit on your lawns?

Once again, Cam has every right to expect his contract. It is a signed document by both parties. Again...both the Steelers and Cam signed the contract. I am not saying the Steelers should give him whatever the contract says. We all get the business side. That will be worked out one way or the other. You all know how the Steelers work. They will get busy on this around the time the new league year starts. It is so early yet.

As far as I can tell, Cam biggest sin is being a Tomlin guy, as well as getting old and injured. TJ Watt is a Tomlin guy. So is Highsmith. So is Minkah. Somebody oughta warn those guys not to get old or have an injury.

I read we will be $16 mill over the cap next year. Cam is a good place to start in balancing the cap all out.
Always have liked Cam but yeah that contract in itself has to be dealt with in some way form or fashion. He won't be the only one but he is a necessary component on not just getting cap compliant but clearing enough space to be active in free agency. As this team has a lot of needs. I look for Peterson's, Chukes, Tribisky, and possibly Watt and Highsmith to be tweaked as well.

Always have liked Cam but yeah that contract in itself has to be dealt with in some way form or fashion. He won't be the only one but he is a necessary component on not just getting cap compliant but clearing enough space to be active in free agency. As this team has a lot of needs. I look for Peterson's, Chukes, Tribisky, and possibly Watt and Highsmith to be tweaked as well.

Currently, Trubisky has a little leverage. Should Rudolf not return (i hope he does not return), that puts us a little in the hole on QB availability.

I’d rather pass up somehow and move Mitch, but his trade-ability is very limited. Should we find a FA, then his leverage shrinks. I also see the STEELERS pulling the trigger on that “injured” QB (can’t remeber his name) in the 3rd, instantly giving KP8 viable competition.

Salute the nation

Most guys with big contracts never see the end of them.

All of those big balloons in later years take you over the cap and you have to start letting guys go.

It's not like this is some great defense for the money invested.

If TJ doesn't pressure the qb or is out,it fails miserably.

Most guys with big contracts never see the end of them.

All of those big balloons in later years take you over the cap and you have to start letting guys go.

It's not like this is some great defense for the money invested.

If TJ doesn't pressure the qb or is out,it fails miserably.

Totally hear what you are saying.!!!!

I’d like to add (not to you) that many here are taking CAM’s words a little out of context. He spoke of the pay thingy shortly after a PO loss and I’m sure his emotions were a little high at the time, I’m sure mine would be.

I’m confident that both him & FO will get it ironed out to agreement for him to play out his career here…albeit a year or two.

My real concern is if the FO pushes to much money ahead, crippling cap space down the road.

Would he be worth 14 million guaranteed over 2 years with yr 1 7million and year two 5 million salary ?

Salute the nation

The Steelers continually hold on to these “name” players ride the feel good story. It’s a business. And a few players need to redo contracts or they need to retire.

Man I made an avocado bowl for breakfast.
2 avacado, 3 hard boiled egg, ham, bacon, diced up onion super small, pepper, a teaspoon of mayo and spicy mustard, jalepeno dust. Mix well.

Super good and super good for you

by tweaked i would hope that means T-biscuit and PP cut or restructures for the minmum possible...their true worth

And definitely can move money around like they always do for players that are actually producing like Watt and Highsmith

With tackles always at a premium do you think Chuks would have any trade value?

Totally hear what you are saying.!!!!

I’d like to add (not to you) that many here are taking CAM’s words a little out of context. He spoke of the pay thingy shortly after a PO loss and I’m sure his emotions were a little high at the time, I’m sure mine would be.

I’m confident that both him & FO will get it ironed out to agreement for him to play out his career here…albeit a year or two.

My real concern is if the FO pushes to much money ahead, crippling cap space down the road.

Would he be worth 14 million guaranteed over 2 years with yr 1 7million and year two 5 million salary ?

Salute the nation
But why would he accept to extend his contract one more year without any new money?