• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let Cam walk

If they ask him to renegotiate and take a lesser salary and he refuses, Cam will be testing the market. Will the Steelers fold and pay him his contract or cut him
He raced to come out and say if they even question not paying his entire salary (one that is a cap hit of $22 mill) he was going to bolt. Well, cool, tell him they are fixing to mess with it and give him the freedom to see what the market will pay him. I'm sure there will be a huge contingent of teams ready to pay him more than he is scheduled to make in Pgh. Every team wants a 35-year-old, part time DLman who can ring us 30 tackles and 2 sacks for over $16 mill. Huge demand there.

The STEELERS have a fine understanding of business and keeping a career player. The DRAFT & FAcy will help determine Cam’s leverage, if any is there. The team will take care of business and I don’t foresee him getting 22 mil for the season. I hope they don’t corrupt CAP hell by pushing his salary forward, he isn’t young enough to take that risk With.
Cam said he can play until he's 40. Someone needs to tell him he can't even really play at 34. Oh yea, he was injured. And what evidence is there that he won't continue to get hurt?

Cam said he can play until he's 40. Someone needs to tell him he can't even really play at 34. Oh yea, he was injured. And what evidence is there that he won't continue to get hurt?
the same of any 30 plus football player.

Like I said..what the man gets paid is between him and Rooney.
But it's us fans who have to hear how we are up against the cap, with no space to sign any free agents every stinkin' year. Are we gonna have to hear that same old crap while a defunct, old player is soaking in $22 mill of cap space? Cam thinks you get paid on "effort" in the NFL. If that were true the league would be inundated with 40-some year olds who are "giving it their best to try and get better." Just because you worked at rehab last year does not give you the right to keep your $22 mil salary, even though apparently you think it does. Oh, the entire world should change just because you want it to, right Cam?

Cam loves Tomlin. Said he couldn't see himself playing for anyone else.

So take a cut Cam. And you won't ever have to worry about playing for another HC. And make sure it is huge cut. Do it for that Tomlin guy you love so much.

the same of any 30 plus football player.
No, don't dump him in with any 30+ year old player. He's 35 and coming off a season where he was hurt over 1/2 the season, not the same thing as every 30+ year old player, not even close.

No, don't dump him in with any 30+ year old player. He's 35 and coming off a season where he was hurt over 1/2 the season, not the same thing as every 30+ year old player, not even close.
Cam was 34 17 minutes ago. now he is 35. 4 post later. Ben buttons that ****. he was injured last year, but other than that pretty healthy for his career.

I just wonder what the hell Cam Heyward did to anybody. Because now, apparently, he doesn't have the right to the salary to which he and the Steelers agreed. The right. They both signed the names to the contract. But he doesn't have the right. To a signed contract that was agreed to by both parties.

It just gets more damn stupid.

I just wonder what the hell Cam Heyward did to anybody. Because now, apparently, he doesn't have the right to the salary to which he and the Steelers agreed. The right. They both signed the names to the contract. But he doesn't have the right. To a signed contract that was agreed to by both parties.

this thread completely sucks."let Cam walk" I firmly believe both sides will make something happen

Cam has the right to the salary he signed for just the same as the Steelers have the right to cut him for $6 million.

I'm unsure what the difficulty both sides of the argument have with that concept.

Cam has the right to the salary he signed for just the same as the Steelers have the right to cut him for $6 million.

I'm unsure what the difficulty both sides of the argument have with that concept.
I fully agree. I have never questioned the right of the Steelers to do that. I do take issue with people who can't just say that and let it be. They have to disparage Cam or make stuff up...like he is a hypocrite. How the hell can he be a hypocrite when they haven't even discussed contracts yet. Nothing has happened yet. If he refuses a salary cut after saying it was good for Ben to do it, then sure. But it is way too early for that.

this thread completely sucks."let Cam walk" I firmly believe both sides will make something happen
They probably will. And I can even see the point people are making in saying maybe the Steelers shouldn't because they are kicking salary down the road again. I get all of that. But again, do we need to disparage a player that has been damn good and a model citizen while advancing those thoughts?

They probably will. And I can even see the point people are making in saying maybe the Steelers shouldn't because they are kicking salary down the road again. I get all of that. But again, do we need to disparage a player that has been damn good and a model citizen while advancing those thoughts?
nope

But it's us fans who have to hear how we are up against the cap, with no space to sign any free agents every stinkin' year. Are we gonna have to hear that same old crap while a defunct, old player is soaking in $22 mill of cap space? Cam thinks you get paid on "effort" in the NFL. If that were true the league would be inundated with 40-some year olds who are "giving it their best to try and get better." Just because you worked at rehab last year does not give you the right to keep your $22 mil salary, even though apparently you think it does. Oh, the entire world should change just because you want it to, right Cam?
I never listen to cap rumblings. They as as good as anyone in regards to figuring out the cap. This is never an excuse or a good one. It is always their decision making on and off the field which is what holds the team back.

We all know this type of contract scenario is business as usual in today’s nfl ..
Moving money
Restructures
Pay decreases
Outright released taking cap hits
Etc.. etc..

No surprise here…Cam will return at a reduced yearly pay number

I never listen to cap rumblings. They as as good as anyone in regards to figuring out the cap. This is never an excuse or a good one. It is always their decision making on and off the field which is what holds the team back.
Not if you listen to the team's mouthpiece; it constantly mentions having "no room in the cap to add any more players." I bet you $2 it will be mentioned yet again sometime in 2024. There will be articles written about it, count on it, right out of Rooney's PR dept. And with it comes the unspoken hint that "Oh well, geez, you can't call the Rooneys cheap, they are spending right up against the cap" and the sucking noodles out there will buy it. Each and every year, same song.

Not if you listen to the team's mouthpiece; it constantly mentions having "no room in the cap to add any more players." I bet you $2 it will be mentioned yet again sometime in 2024. There will be articles written about it, count on it, right out of Rooney's PR dept. And with it comes the unspoken hint that "Oh well, geez, you can't call the Rooneys cheap, they are spending right up against the cap" and the sucking noodles out there will buy it. Each and every year, same song.
Why are you a steelers fan?

Why are you a steelers fan?
All my life. Oh wait, you are one of those who thinks you are not allowed to voice any criticism on a team you are a fan of? Oh, OK, got it. That's a weird way to look at things. But OK, the Steelers are perfect and all their decisions are perfecto, go Steelers. They can do no wrong! No sense in actually thinking about their decisions, they are always perfect! Is that more like it?

So for how much money would you guys be ok for Cam staying (not counting the 6M dead cap from previous restructures), 12M? 10?

So for how much money would you guys be ok for Cam staying (not counting the 6M dead cap from previous restructures), 12M? 10?
9 seems about right... But who is losing sleep over a few more than that? Definitely not where it is now...

Cam was 34 17 minutes ago. now he is 35. 4 post later. Ben buttons that ****. he was injured last year, but other than that pretty healthy for his career.
Yea, well, it's not rocket science. Cam was born May 6th, 1989. That makes him 34 years old, and 9 months. So, you do the math. Do you want to call him 34 or 35? In 3 months he'll be 35, plenty in time to be called 35 for the very next season. So, in speaking to his age, what # would you like to use? The age he will be next season, which, with a special crack age-science-team, it has been determined that he will be 35-years-old. So, I know it sure seems insane and all, but if you're referring to Cam's age for next season, it would be more accurate to age him at 35. IF you want to specify what is age is as we speak, it's 34. Sorry for the immense confusion. But in 3 months and 4 days, he will be 35 - plenty of time for his age in the 2024 season to be 35.