• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Maybe i've been wrong...and hope

Watch Pickett. Most of the time he didn't even scan the left half of the field.

The thing is, I don't / can't anymore. Pickett relieved himself of duty, by his choice. That in itself tells a story of not confident enough to gamble on himself.

Some can come up with a myriad of excuses, but bottom line is he abandoned his opportunity to take control of hbis destiny.

Salute the nation

The thing is, I don't / can't anymore. Pickett relieved himself of duty, by his choice. That in itself tells a story of not confident enough to gamble on himself.

Some can come up with a myriad of excuses, but bottom line is he abandoned his opportunity to take control of hbis destiny.

Salute the nation
I was one of his defenders right up to the moment he quit. He showed his true colors. At this point I am happy to be rid of him and Canada. Frankly I don't care who was at fault as they are gone. Let's get this ******* season going so we can all move on to arguing something new.

I was one of his defenders right up to the moment he quit. He showed his true colors. At this point I am happy to be rid of him and Canada. Frankly I don't care who was at fault as they are gone. Let's get this ******* season going so we can all move on to arguing something new.
I was always in his corner. Still wish him well, not against the Steelers of course. But outside of that once you request out, I”ll help you with my support going right out the door with you.

Watch Pickett. Most of the time he didn't even scan the left half of the field.
You are assuming that he was allowed to even go left. I stand by my position, KP was given 1, maybe at times, 2 throws on any given pass play. He was told in advance that he would sit if he didn’t follow the script. New players don’t get to freelance like an 18 year vet QB.

Salute the nation
I disagree 100%. He knew if/when he got traded he was not going into a starting position. He simply wanted to get away from the stink of the Steeler's lies. Tomlin lies. Say what you want. NOBODY wants to work for a boss who constantly lies to you. Whether it is real life and/or sports. Rudy dealt with it year in and year out. Rumour is he was about to resign until more lies came in and he simply then signed elsewhere. All Pickett had to do was look how the Steelers/Tomlin treated Rudy. Anyone and everyone would want to get away from that ASAP!!!! Pickett just wanted to be in a professional atmosphere with a winning culture(speculating). He got lucky going to Philly. Philly will be fighting to get to the SB every year vs. Pittsburgh fighting just to get to .500 every year. Where would you choose to be? In the end though...Pickett will be one play....one injury from playing. Whether he was in Pittsburgh or Philly. The difference is Philly most likely will be fighting for a SB appearance in the end while Pittsburgh will be hoping to hit that .500 mark.

You are assuming that he was allowed to even go left. I stand by my position, KP was given 1, maybe at times, 2 throws on any given pass play. He was told in advance that he would sit if he didn’t follow the script. New players don’t get to freelance like an 18 year vet QB.
This.....Speculating of course......Pickett ran the offense as he was told. Week in and week out. Being the good boy. Doing as he was told. Team player. How did they reward him? Told him one thing and did another. Something Tomlin did for a few years with Rudy. No one here doesn't think Rudy didn't tell Pickett his story? Come on.

I disagree 100%. He knew if/when he got traded he was not going into a starting position. He simply wanted to get away from the stink of the Steeler's lies. Tomlin lies. Say what you want. NOBODY wants to work for a boss who constantly lies to you. Whether it is real life and/or sports. Rudy dealt with it year in and year out. Rumour is he was about to resign until more lies came in and he simply then signed elsewhere. All Pickett had to do was look how the Steelers/Tomlin treated Rudy. Anyone and everyone would want to get away from that ASAP!!!! Pickett just wanted to be in a professional atmosphere with a winning culture(speculating). He got lucky going to Philly. Philly will be fighting to get to the SB every year vs. Pittsburgh fighting just to get to .500 every year. Where would you choose to be? In the end though...Pickett will be one play....one injury from playing. Whether he was in Pittsburgh or Philly. The difference is Philly most likely will be fighting for a SB appearance in the end while Pittsburgh will be hoping to hit that .500 mark.
I will continue to say this entire "lies" thing is the dumbest narrative I've ever heard related to professional sports. Getting to Tomlin, he is always at or near the top of the list NFL players say they want to play for. He hasn't handled every situation well, but he's still a good coach and his players believe in him. Pickett wanted out and probably even went to a destination of his choice where he has zero chance of being a starter. There was a decent chance Wilson would've failed and Pickett would've been right back in the starting role. Instead, he chose to be content as a backup QB behind one of the best in the league.

Who cares what happened with Rudolph? Khan found a better option as a starter.

If you're worried about the coaches and front office trying to improve the roster by "lying", then maybe Dan Moore should request a trade since the Steelers drafted two tackles the past two years. Nick Herbig probably should ask for his release because he won't even have a shot at beating out Frazier. Calvin Austin needs to request a trade because the Steelers drafted Wilson and signed multiple wide receivers. Daniels and Seumalo should probably raise a stink because McCormick could replace either one of them next year. Mark Robinson is probably fuming because the Steelers signed three ILBs last year who all passed him up then signed Patrick Queen and drafted Payton Wilson to beef up the position. He should've just been handed the job.

I will continue to say this entire "lies" thing is the dumbest narrative I've ever heard related to professional sports. Getting to Tomlin, he is always at or near the top of the list NFL players say they want to play for. He hasn't handled every situation well, but he's still a good coach and his players believe in him. Pickett wanted out and probably even went to a destination of his choice where he has zero chance of being a starter. There was a decent chance Wilson would've failed and Pickett would've been right back in the starting role. Instead, he chose to be content as a backup QB behind one of the best in the league.

If you're worried about the coaches and front office trying to improve the roster by "lying", then maybe Dan Moore should request a trade since the Steelers drafted two tackles the past two years. Nick Herbig probably should ask for his release because he won't even have a shot at beating out Frazier. Calvin Austin needs to request a trade because the Steelers drafted Wilson and signed multiple wide receivers. Daniels and Seumalo should probably raise a stink because McCormick could replace either one of them next year. Mark Robinson is probably fuming because the Steelers signed three ILBs last year who all passed him up then signed Patrick Queen and drafted Payton Wilson to beef up the position. He should've just been handed the job.
And yet you have the QB silliness of the past couple seasons, the horrific toll of Canada, and then recollections of Ingram, Deebo, Blount, etc. clearly all disgusted with Tomlin.

Yeah....sorry. I will simply push your reponse...... instead of reading your short novel of a response. I am sure it was a good response though. 🙂

He was a great football player. He's currently made the purgatory hall waiting for the..

First ring of the 7th circle in hell standing in a boiling river of blood.

1SunSeptember 101:00PM ETboxscoreL0-1San Francisco 49ers73015239198412223912031881-13.55-9.730.78
2MonSeptember 188:15PM ETboxscoreW1-1Cleveland Browns26229255200552204082101984-16.6319.512.81
3SunSeptember 248:20PM ETboxscoreW2-1@Las Vegas Raiders231817333228105193622936935.433.820.12
4SunOctober 11:00PM ETboxscoreL2-2@Houston Texans63012225111114124451312139-8.54-15.662.59
5SunOctober 81:00PM ETboxscoreW3-2Baltimore Ravens171017289202871193352101253-5.0816.12-3.84
6Bye Week
7SunOctober 224:05PM ETboxscoreW4-2@Los Angeles Rams241717300214861935421913514.14-3.066.47
8SunOctober 291:00PM ETboxscoreL4-3Jacksonville Jaguars102017261191702203772711063-3.682.59-2.01
9ThuNovember 28:15PM ETboxscoreW5-3Tennessee Titans20162232616016623340235105110.92-3.61-3.77
10SunNovember 121:00PM ETboxscoreW6-3Green Bay Packers2319213241192051739928311627.06-8.813.18
11SunNovember 191:00PM ETboxscoreL6-4@Cleveland Browns1013122497717220259163961-6.046.18-1.74
12SunNovember 261:00PM ETboxscoreW7-4@Cincinnati Bengals1610224212681531102221972514.326.04-3.05

Week 12, New coach, 421 yards...just one example...you should rethink your own.
I SAID RETHINK YOUR POSITION ABOUT THE PLAYERS BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR 40-50% OF THE OUTCOME OF THE GAMES....

40-50% on players being responsible for the outcomes is way, way too low. As that means a coach is 50-60% responsible for the outcome...Naw...HELL NAW...I never ever once saw a coach throw a TD as time expires, smack a game ending homer, or hit a game winning buzzer-beater...

Last edited:

Well said 448, thanks for all your great post(s) along the way.

Things change daily amongst coaches and players. Out-right lying isn’t something that can be trusted and yet these players play a lot on trust. It wouldn”t make well for recruiting / keeping / developing chemistry amongst the team. I don’t see a flying exit ing of the masses either.

Doesn’t matter to me either way, but Pickett chose to leave instead of fight, so good riddance.

Salute the nation

They professionals, but they are not perfect. Players do come to the NFL with technical deficiencies that were never corrected in HS or College. How many guys do you see tackling with their head down? Still happens though it is much better than it used to be. How many guys still try to tackle with just the shoulder and fail to wrap up? I see it all the time. It is more complicated with blocks. Kid coming out of college may have never done a reach block or a fold block. Not every system uses the same blocking techniques. The techniques get much more refined at the Pro Level. Humans make mistakes. Humans pick up bad habits. Why are there pitching coaches and batting coaches for baseball and swing coaches for pro golfers? Because Humans are not perfect creatures and bad habits develop. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a certain level of skill when they get there, but it is unreasonable to assume they day they get their paycheck that they have perfect technique in all things. The coaching staff that does not watch and coach and teach such things should simply not be a coach. IMHO, watching and correcting technique is constant and a positional coaches primary function.

I need evidence. I need to see a video demonstration of how technique is more "refined" going from college to pro. None exists.
By the time a player becomes a pro he should know all the blocking techniques.

I can understand blocking schemes in the pros being different. I can understand being coached on when to apply certain blocks

Those in other professions make mistakes too. But making mistakes are beside my point.
A professional should not have to be told to wrap up when he tackles. That is fundamental. It is what you learn in High School. That is my point.

So how does a O line coach hired right out of college all of a sudden understand these apparent techniques that are so unique in the pro game?
How do coaches in the NFL returning to the college game not take advantage of the apparent more refined blocking techniques used in the pros?

Probably because they don't exist is my guess.

The Giants have found their coach to improve things up front.
New York is hiring University of Louisiana-Lafayette offensive coordinator/offense line coach Rob Sale to fill its offensive line coach vacancy, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday.

Thats an old story. Just sayin.

Last edited:
I SAID RETHINK YOUR POSITION ABOUT THE PLAYERS BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR 40-50% OF THE OUTCOME OF THE GAMES....

40-50% on players being responsible for the outcomes is way, way too low. As that means a coach is 50-60% responsible for the outcome...Naw...HELL NAW...I never ever once saw a coach throw a TD as time expires, smack a game ending homer, or hit a game winning buzzer-beater...
You ever see a coach from, let's say Seattle...call a slant on a third and one at the goal line instead of running the ball? Lost them a Superbowl. I stand by what I said.

I'm not necessarily convinced they found a better option at the QB position, considering how well Rudolph played last season and how Wilson's last two teams were willing to eat a lot of salary to unload him.

It's hard to have much faith in how Tomlin handles and evaluates QBs when he refused to give Rudolph a shot, while continuing to put Kenny and Trubisky on the field, for nearly two years after Ben retired.

Who knows how things would have turned out had they just gone with Rudolph in 2022. Hard to imagine they would have been any worse than they were.

I was always in his corner. Still wish him well, not against the Steelers of course. But outside of that once you request out, I”ll help you with my support going right out the door with you.

My parting words to Mr. Pickett………..

”Don’t let the door hit yaz, where the good LORD split yaz”

Salute the nation

I'm not necessarily convinced they found a better option at the QB position, considering how well Rudolph played last season and how Wilson's last two teams were willing to eat a lot of salary to unload him.

It's hard to have much faith in how Tomlin handles and evaluates QBs when he refused to give Rudolph a shot, while continuing to put Kenny and Trubisky on the field, for nearly two years after Ben retired.

Who knows how things would have turned out had they just gone with Rudolph in 2022. Hard to imagine they would have been any worse than they were.
Tomlin's handling of QBs is nothing short of embarrassing, to be direct. In 2021, there was NEVER a competition, to speak of. Nothing ever of the sort, even though the official team narrative was that there was a 3-way competition. Never was. Always a scam.

Tomlin's handling of QBs is nothing short of embarrassing, to be direct. In 2021, there was NEVER a competition, to speak of. Nothing ever of the sort, even though the official team narrative was that there was a 3-way competition. Never was. Always a scam.
Welcome back from your vacation. Did you get any sun? Buy any Tomlin posters? Any Cam or Najee jerseys? You might get some good deals if you look around.

If I want a dog to hunt pheasants, I'm not gonna get a bulldog. It doesn't fit the system. The Steelers had an idea of what they wanted on offense, and they probably felt it was Pickett or Trubisky who gave them the best chance at that. Now if you want to argue their idea about the offense was wrong, no argument here. It was terribly wrong. I'm not sure I understand why Tomlin still has a job after that disaster. But I don't think there was some conspiracy there to screw over Rudolph. And anyway, it wasn't like he was the 2nd coming before 2021.

Welcome back.

If I want a dog to hunt pheasants, I'm not gonna get a bulldog. It doesn't fit the system. The Steelers had an idea of what they wanted on offense, and they probably felt it was Pickett or Trubisky who gave them the best chance at that. Now if you want to argue their idea about the offense was wrong, no argument here. It was terribly wrong. I'm not sure I understand why Tomlin still has a job after that disaster. But I don't think there was some conspiracy there to screw over Rudolph. And anyway, it wasn't like he was the 2nd coming before 2021.

Welcome back.
No Rudolph wasn't the 2nd coming, but he sure as sh-- was the best QB they had on the roster and absolutely refused to give him a look. And why was that? Because he didn't kiss Tomlin's @ss enough? Why?

No Rudolph wasn't the 2nd coming, but he sure as sh-- was the best QB they had on the roster and absolutely refused to give him a look. And why was that? Because he didn't kiss Tomlin's @ss enough? Why?
And you know this how? A guy who doesn't keep kissing @ss, would have he kept coming back? I don't think @ss kissing had anything to do with it. It's a stupid statement.

Look, they were wrong. You are something. You even argue when most of your point is agreed with. I just don't see a conspiracy there. And I do not recall too many people here pining for Rudolph at that time. Hindsight is 20/20.

And you know this how? A guy who doesn't keep kissing @ss, would have he kept coming back? I don't think @ss kissing had anything to do with it. It's a stupid statement.

Look, they were wrong. You are something. You even argue when most of your point is agreed with. I just don't see a conspiracy there. And I do not recall too many people here pining for Rudolph at that time. Hindsight is 20/20.
Those of us wanting to give Mason a chance existed, don't fool yourself. And you got the @ss kissing mixed up.

I wonder how everything went down on the Pickett front. Probably similiar to the Rudy front sadly. Our FO puts out what it wants for their own narritive.

Pickett got hurt. I am sure Tomlin told him when he is healthy he is the guy. We got to the playoffs and Tomlin went back on his word to Pickett and went with the hot hand. I don't fault Tomlin. I do fault Tomlin when he switched up what we were doing on offense for those couple of weeks with Rudy and then we switched back to our offense of old for the playoff game. Tomlin truly believes we have some elite defense he can ride with. Hopefully, if we make it to the playoffs this year he finally has learned his lesson. The game is not the game of years past......

My parting words to Mr. Pickett………..

”Don’t let the door hit yaz, where the good LORD split yaz”

Salute the nation
Tomlin has handled ALL of his QB's horribly. Even Ben. Put the blame on Pickett though. He saw a chance to get out of the **** show and did. He was going to be 2nd string here and now he is most likely going to be 2nd string in Philly. One play....one injury away from playing. Difference is he is on a better team now. Philly is said to be a SB contender......while simply Pittsburgh a possible .500 club. A win for Pickett.

Pickett got hurt. I am sure Tomlin told him when he is healthy he is the guy. We got to the playoffs and Tomlin went back on his word to Pickett and went with the hot hand. I don't fault Tomlin. I do fault Tomlin when he switched up what we were doing on offense for those couple of weeks with Rudy and then we switched back to our offense of old for the playoff game. Tomlin truly believes we have some elite defense he can ride with. Hopefully, if we make it to the playoffs this year he finally has learned his lesson. The game is not the game of years past......
Good luck. Tomlin has to be the most-learning imposed head coach of all time. He is just learning impaired.