• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Maybe i've been wrong...and hope

No argument about Couch Tomlin, he should have been jettisoned years ago.

Could care less about poor Kenny, he chose to not be here, for what ever reason he had.

As in Philly, he had as reasonable chance, possibly a better chance to start in Pittsburgh, even if he was 2nd QB on roster. Wilson is old and could just as well fail, not near the competition as the Philly QB.

He left, I didn’t want the door to hit yaz where the good lord split yaz. In a sense I was showing I cared about his safety……

The End

Tomlin has handled ALL of his QB's horribly. Even Ben. Put the blame on Pickett though. He saw a chance to get out of the **** show and did. He was going to be 2nd string here and now he is most likely going to be 2nd string in Philly. One play....one injury away from playing. Difference is he is on a better team now. Philly is said to be a SB contender......while simply Pittsburgh a possible .500 club. A win for Pickett.

Salute the nation

Pickett got hurt. I am sure Tomlin told him when he is healthy he is the guy. We got to the playoffs and Tomlin went back on his word to Pickett and went with the hot hand. I don't fault Tomlin. I do fault Tomlin when he switched up what we were doing on offense for those couple of weeks with Rudy and then we switched back to our offense of old for the playoff game. Tomlin truly believes we have some elite defense he can ride with. Hopefully, if we make it to the playoffs this year he finally has learned his lesson. The game is not the game of years past......
I find it interesting how many players say Tomlin is upfront and honest. You rarely hear a bad word about him, even from guys who have left. But there is this conspiracy that he lies to guys. IDK...is it lying or changing circumstances? Someone brought up the Blount thing from way back for example. I'm sure Blount was told he'd get carries. But the way Bell was playing, why take the ball out of his hands? Same with Rudolph. James Harrison was great, but by 2017 he was one dimensional, albeit he was pretty damn good in that one dimension. But are you gonna take too many snaps away from Watt or Dupree? But they should have been able to figure something out there. I just don't see the deceit that some do. The Buffalo playoff game. They were a lot better team then the 3 teams the Steelers played to finish out the year. That was a big factor in that game.

None of that changes the fact that I think Tomlin should be coaching somewhere else or in the booth.

I find it interesting how many players say Tomlin is upfront and honest. You rarely hear a bad word about him, even from guys who have left. But there is this conspiracy that he lies to guys. IDK...is it lying or changing circumstances? Someone brought up the Blount thing from way back for example. I'm sure Blount was told he'd get carries. But the way Bell was playing, why take the ball out of his hands? Same with Rudolph. James Harrison was great, but by 2017 he was one dimensional, albeit he was pretty damn good in that one dimension. But are you gonna take too many snaps away from Watt or Dupree? But they should have been able to figure something out there. I just don't see the deceit that some do. The Buffalo playoff game. They were a lot better team then the 3 teams the Steelers played to finish out the year. That was a big factor in that game.

None of that changes the fact that I think Tomlin should be coaching somewhere else or in the booth.
Where there's smoke, there's typically fire. Blount, Harrison, that LB, Kenny - there's ample proof that Tomlin lied to those folks and THEN didn't have the stones to tell them, but then just ran away and hid. No more being "buddies" with players he lied to. No cute musings or fancy sayings, just run from his lies.

Are we still talking being lied to in professional sports? Unless you are a star, teams are always looking to find an upgrade.
Well, when you are a #1 pick at QB with a team who doesn't have a QB....you get every chance to succeed. The fact that the Steelers said goodbye to Kenny says a lot: You don't got the goods, fella.

Where there's smoke, there's typically fire. Blount, Harrison, that LB, Kenny - there's ample proof that Tomlin lied to those folks and THEN didn't have the stones to tell them, but then just ran away and hid. No more being "buddies" with players he lied to. No cute musings or fancy sayings, just run from his lies.
IIR Ingram was another hostage. I think maybe Tomlin sold them hard on roles in some cases that could not be etched in stone once they got here. In any event, I've always wondered if the numerous hostage situations were the result of Shades's charm and blowing free agent smoke about the player's new role and capitalizing off the whole "Head Coach NFL players would most like to play for.."

Some of these guys seem to have gotten Jason Tatum'd by Kerr..

IIR Ingram was another hostage. I think maybe Tomlin sold them hard on roles in some cases that could not be etched in stone once they got here. In any event, I've always wondered if the numerous hostage situations were the result of Shades's charm and blowing free agent smoke about the player's new role and capitalizing off the whole "Head Coach NFL players would most like to play for.."

Some of these guys seem to have gotten Jason Tatum'd by Kerr..
Shades is hardly an innocent bystander in all this. He knows he makes promises he doesn't keep and then runs, runs when he doesn't deliver. And then he's suddenly "not available" to talk to. Gee whiz.

Shades is hardly an innocent bystander in all this. He knows he makes promises he doesn't keep and then runs, runs when he doesn't deliver. And then he's suddenly "not available" to talk to. Gee whiz.
The media needs to put him on blast. God forbid a media person put the Stillers on blast though

The media needs to put him on blast. God forbid a media person put the Stillers on blast though
Yea, won't happen, Rooneys make sure of it. All your media privileges get taken away if you don't "play ball" with them.

Reactions: MTC
Yea, won't happen, Rooneys make sure of it. All your media privileges get taken away if you don't "play ball" with them.

“Link”

Salute the nation

that dirty rotten no good empty promise maker. Non delivering unavailble bystander...
Finally seeing the light...as dim as it might be.....it is a start. Fingers crossed for another 9 and 8 season. Tomlin is the bestest HC ever!!!!! No losing seasons baby!!!!!!🤪

Finally seeing the light...as dim as it might be.....it is a start. Fingers crossed for another 9 and 8 season. Tomlin is the bestest HC ever!!!!! No losing seasons baby!!!!!!🤪

no yum yum.... this is parody. I dont like him either. I just dont want to hear about it in every post.

And no post season win to boot, same ole, same ole. Shades baby, as shoddy as he is, he has the job forever.

He’s still living rent free in your head..

And no post season win to boot, same ole, same ole. Shades baby, as shoddy as he is, he has the job forever.
……rent free, dude. MT is to you as Marino was to Ray Finkle.

Post season is for over achievers....

He’s still living rent free in your head..
Unfortunately he will be in everyones heads for a few more seasons after his extension. Hopefully he can get us another SB win or 2. 🤔

Let me preface this by saying I have always held players more responsible for the outcome of games than coaches. Players do the...playing. Not coaches. I have always felt it is a convenient place for players (and at the lower level, parents) to hide if the player just doesn't have it physically or mentally. Blame the coaches.

But I listened to the Williamson thing he does this morning and he stated a number of facts concerning Matt Canada, and holy shiit. Over the first 4 games of last year. I'll just state two. Evidently, if the Steelers were in the gun, they passed 92% of the time on 1st down, if under center, they ran 85% of the time. It always seemed the other teams knew what was coming, they were on it so fast, and now there is factual proof of that. So I guess to a large degree it was the coaching!

But they still had winning records the last three years. It defies logic when you hear the numbers. Which means that maybe Austin is a better DC than he is given credit for, in light of some of the injuries they have has on that side of the ball over the years. But the reason for hope is offensively, they have nowhere to go but up, and if the defense plays well they may really have something.
Back to the original post... I agree with you.

These stats (92% pass when in gun and 85% run when under center) combined with the fact they were among the lowest play action teams in the league AND they never threw the ball in the middle of the field made them incredibily predictable. There are defensive assistant coaches in the league making 6 or 7 figure salaries who spend hours each day watching film to find tendencies and scout their opponents. I'm just some dude who watches the Steelers every week sitting on my couch and I could predict their play calls 75% of the time or more the last 2-3 years. If I can do that, then you know their Steelers opponents could. The opposing LBs were always coming downhill on run plays b/c they knew it was coming and had no fear of being beat by play action or a pass over the middle. The opposing D-line could tee off on pass rush when the Steelers were in gun. Etc.

Frankly Najee, Warren, Friermuth, Pickens, Johnson, Pickett, Chuks, etc. all had reason to be frustrated. Everyone of them probably were asking their agent to get them out of Pittsburgh. They all looked worse than they are and couldn't excel becasue they were rarely put in a position to win by their coaches. These guys were always playing with one arm tied behind their back.

Tomlin was complicit in this because he should have seen it and addressed it sooner. Every NFL team employs assistants whose job is to scout their own team. They had to know how predictable they were.

Given that they've hovered around .500 and been in the playoffs or in contention for the playoffs the last 3 years with arguably the worst offense in the league... it won't take that much improvement on offense for them to be a legitimate contender. The offense doesn't have to be good, just not suck.