• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My take on Shazier

• Thread starter Thread starter Idioteque
  • Start date Start date
I like the Shazier pick better than Jarvis last year. At least Shazier is an athlete worthy of his draft position. I just don't like the fit and again we run into issues with Timmons being way overpaid for what he delivers.

If Timmons was not on this team, i'd love the Shazier pick, because then we could just plug in Vince Williams or any other dime a dozen run stuffing LB next to him in run situations. Williams sits on passing downs and is replaced by a DB who can cover. Shazier is free to roam.

Steelers don't want to be caught in a defense but my fear is they just did that to themselves because now it seems they will be staying in the base 3-4 most of the time even against 3 WR sets. I mean if they grab a CB in Rd 2, when does he get on the field now? When does Shamarko see the field?

I don't like this front 7. I hate it and that's the whole strength of the steeler scheme. I was hoping Jarvis would be transitioned to ILB, but i guess that won't happen now. Instead he'll just continue to not rush the passer because he lacks the athletic ability and size.

Maybe they will end up swapping Shazier and Jarvis. Shazier doesn't shed blocks well but at least he's fast.

I think you're downplaying the importance of the Buck role. We haven't had a playmaker at Buck since 2010. It's not a position that you can just plug some lump into and get results. Williams got exposed badly his rookie season, and the team was awful against the run.

Drafting Shazier potentially keeps our playmakers on the field. Now a base 3-4 look isn't a death sentence for anything besides 11 personnel. Nickel was awful to watch last year because teams just ran it down our throats.

I think the Steelers made a big step towards updating the defense for the new NFL. All they need is another Heyward up front. Hageman for round 2 let's go.

While at my son's little league game tonight, I heard Ryan Shazier being interviewed on Sirius/XM Radio. Intelligent, great communication skills, high effort, high character, major community involvement and strong family background. As a side note... he kept it under his hat with the teams that interviewed him (except the Steelers), but he is a life-long Steelers fan. That should help a little when it comes time for his second contract! LOL.

From thesidelineview.com

The numbers don't tell the entire story. From his first start as a freshman in 2011 when he registered 15 tackles v. Penn State, Shazier hardly ever went a full 60 minutes without making a significant impact.

Let's get this out of the way, he's light. 226 lb. light. There are some teams' scouts that won't like him that small. There'll be some teams that won't know where to play him. He's a bit smaller version of St. Louis Rams LB Alec Ogletree. Well, minus the baggage and about ten to 15 pounds. But, like Ogletree, Shazier can fly to the football. There isn't a better space linebacker that I've seen on tape than Shazier. However, what stands out to me more so about Shazier than Ogletree is the former Buckeye's ability to find the football, his football IQ and his all-around football intelligence.

He reads and deciphers plays extremely well. He lined up all over the field in a multitude of positions at Ohio State in his three years as a starter. He'll show as an outside rusher. He'll line up in a Will linebacker spot in even fronts. He'll blitz the A gaps. He'll line up as a Mike linebacker in even fronts as well.

Some scouts are worried that he has to be protected but if there's anyone who plays off of blocks better, I don't know who it is. He'll get engulfed by guards/tackles at the second level on occasion but who doesn't, honestly? That said, he has active hands and knows how to stack and shed well for a guy his size. I don't think he has to be as protected as some scouts believe.

He plays downhill, reads well, has a high football IQ, gets off blocks and closes on the football. Uh, need anything else? Okay, okay, another 12 to 15 pounds would be nice. But, I wouldn't trade that extra weight for his ability to close on ball carriers, inside or out.

Where the **** are his eyebrows? An industrial accident or did he have them plucked?

How can you draft a guy with no ******* eyebrows?

Colbert =

gonefishing.jpg

^^^
Does that disease cause upper arm mass loss too?

Great, another Gilligan-armed LB. Looks like a big safety to me. I don't see this guy shedding NFL blocks at all.

^^^
Does that disease cause upper arm mass loss too?

Great, another Gilligan-armed LB. Looks like a big safety to me. I don't see this guy shedding NFL blocks at all.

While the kid can get stronger, he didn't do too bad at the combine bench. His 25 reps were better than Crichton (24), Ebron (24), Zack Martin (23), Khalil Mack (23), Kony Ealy (22), and a host of others. In fact, his 25 reps put him in the top 100 in the bench. So, there must be some STRENGTH in those arms; and he can get stronger. You can't however teach speed.

I like Shazier. As an Ohio State fan, I've seen him play plenty, he's all over the field. However, we could've traded down and easily still gotten him. I think they panicked (AGAIN!) when Fuller was taken. This reeks of the Revis situation all over again. I think Shazier will help, but Dennard would have helped more. I was shocked the pick was not Dennard. My biggest fear was that they were going to take Zach Martin, so I guess it could have been worse.

I like Shazier. As an Ohio State fan, I've seen him play plenty, he's all over the field. However, we could've traded down and easily still gotten him.

Reportedly, the Cowboys were on the phone with his agent when we took him. Not to mention, the Ravens took a (lesser) ILB one pick after us.

Exactly the cowboys were in love with Shazier. He was their pick..so can we stop with the "we could of traded down and still gotten him" bullshit.

No, and Shazier may need a stout run-stuffer to pair with to maximize each other's talents. Maybe we snag Preston Brown 2-3 rounds from now.

And do what with Timmons?

That's another aspect of this that I find troublesome. From the perspective of the Steelers, it somewhat has a "we finally admit that Timmons kind of sucks" vibe to it.

Pittsburgh Steelers snag Ryan Shazier at No. 15

NFL.com
Published: May 8, 2014

The Pittsburgh Steelers passed on needs at wide receiver and cornerback to select the best player remaining on their draft board.

With the No. 15 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Steelers drafted Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier.

The fastest linebacker to enter the NFL since Brian Urlacher was a freakishly talented safety at New Mexico, Shazier can play inside or outside. He will likely be ticketed for the spot next to Lawrence Timmons, giving Pittsburgh the league's most dynamic inside-linebacker duo.

This is one of our favorite of Thursday night's picks. Faced with an aging defense lacking playmakers, the Steelers staved off Father Time by landing a player with the talent for perennial Pro Bowl berths.

If general manager Kevin Colbert can land a red-zone threat such as Allen Robinson in the second round, he will be right back in the mix for the AFC North crown in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...gn=Twitter_atl

This thread is an example of why I come to Steeler Nation, great candid conversation on the Steelers.

I honestly do not know how I feel about this pick, IMO, the hole at buck was their BIGGEST need and has been for a couple of years. I just never considered Shazier as an answer there.

Love his intangibles, seems to be a great guy with solid values and ethics, someone who won't get arrested in Vegas beating up an opponent like his position coach did. (Who is going to be coaching Who?)

Love his speed.........I'm just worried that we have WAY too much inexperience at the LB positions and that scares the **** out of me........

Dont see how this has anything to do with Timmons..you need two guys who can cover in todays NFL. Both Timmons and Shazier can cover Tight ends and Running backs. **** Shazier can run with some slot receivers. Both can blitz. This pick puts the teeth back into X blitz we love to use. Now Polamalu doesnt have to be a inside linbacker. Teams are going to have to guess who is coming and who is dropping. Lets us stay in base vs some 3wr sets.

I wasn't aware the Cowboys were ready to pounce. If that's the case, and if Shazier was (obviously) the Steelers best available player, then I feel better about the pick. I've always liked him, and I think he will be a sorely needed playmaker. I think I was just locked in on Dennard that I was shocked he wasn't the pick.

I'd love to see Shazier bury Johnny Jackass come week 1.

I think anyone reading into this that Timmons is on his way out, reads this board way too much. The coaching staff LOVES Timmons, he isn't going anywhere. This is a pick to put someone next to Timmons that is worth a damn. Let's also keep in mind that this is only ONE PICK in this years draft. Still have 6 more rounds to go.

I agree, this is not a reflection on Timmons at all. He and Cam were one of they lone really bright spots on our defense last year. If anything, adding Shazier to the starting lineup will make Timmons even better.

I keep trying to like this pick but just am not sold. I watched his highlight film and it wasn't great. He is very small. His arms look like twigs. Someone posted on here he was 237. I saw this morning that he was listed at 222. That is a safety. After they picked him, someone mentioned a hybrid type player and maybe that is what he will be. He is fast as hell. He seems like a big reach when we had more pressing needs. I don't see him sniffing the field this year and maybe not even next. At 1.15, you have to get a guy that has a legitimate chance to start his first year. I don't see that here.

The pick just baffles me. I hope it works out but unless we can get a starting CB and WR in free agency for this year, we are looking at an 8-8 season, at best. This pick does not improve our D in 2014.

I'll keep reading about the kid and will just have to wait and see. I hope he turns into something special.

I think, potentially, he could become an Urlacher type of player, which would be pretty sweet.

I keep trying to like this pick but just am not sold. I watched his highlight film and it wasn't great. He is very small. His arms look like twigs. Someone posted on here he was 237. I saw this morning that he was listed at 222. That is a safety. After they picked him, someone mentioned a hybrid type player and maybe that is what he will be. He is fast as hell. He seems like a big reach when we had more pressing needs. I don't see him sniffing the field this year and maybe not even next. At 1.15, you have to get a guy that has a legitimate chance to start his first year. I don't see that here.

The pick just baffles me. I hope it works out but unless we can get a starting CB and WR in free agency for this year, we are looking at an 8-8 season, at best. This pick does not improve our D in 2014.

I'll keep reading about the kid and will just have to wait and see. I hope he turns into something special.

So who would start over Shazier? Williams? Garvin? Lol. Dude your out of touch.

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac:

Dallas Cowboys were ready to select Ryan Shazier at No. 16 until #Steelers grabbed him. Agent was on phone w Cowboys.

When it first happened I wasn't very happy with the pick.

I'm still mulling it over in my head this morning. I think it's another Tomlin pick. He loves him some run-and-hit linebackers and evaluated/grades them like he's still running the Tampa-2 defense. You can tell from Colbert's quote in the article above he has concerns about Shazier's size ("...he has to get stronger, he’s going to have to get bigger. There are some big guys who will get on him on occasion...").

Our defense is changing now into Tomlin's vision. Cowher's big and physical guys are getting replaced with smaller and faster guys. Heyward, Timmons, Jones, Worilds, Shazier.... that's the direction the defense is going.

We'll see how it translates onto the field. I probably would have gone CB (Dennard or Roby) and I had Mosley as a higher rated ILB for a 3-4 defense.

Now you watch the games.

Shazier was 237 at the combine and he is ripped up. Now, if he played at 222, that means he added 15 pounds prior to the combine. I would hate to see how ripped up he was prior to that 15 pounds. Now, if he truly played at 222 (or less), he should be better able to handle the stuff inside at 237. I mean, that is a meal shy of 240 and in this day and age, that is pretty good size for a 21 year old ILB. It was said he struggles sometimes to pack on weight, but he was also a college student and there are many more things you can do when you have $$$ to help you train and retain size.

Again, my only issue with him was how he got bounced around. If he can work on that and learn to slide through the wash a little better, slip more blocks, shed some guys, then I like the player. I would hope that Butler can help him learn to do those things, if not, why is Butler there?