• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

From Reddit before the Steelers got him:

"This is the truth of Russell Wilson: he needs a number one receiver. He’s the kind of quarterback that will feed a star receiver, nonstop, and be able to make enough plays, not turn the ball over and move the offense. In Denver our receiving core was absolutely ****, so it was Russ running around behind the line trying to make something happen.

Russell still has a canon for an arm, surprisingly good scrambling, won’t throw over the middle, takes way too many sacks, but won’t throw interceptions. He’s very responsible with the ball. He needs a true stud #1"

"Wilson doesn't fit Payton's scheme in the slightest. Payton's scheme involves very quick processing, winning the play at the line of scrimmage, dominating the middle of the field. Juxtapose that with Wilson's hero-ball, unwillingness to do anything in the middle of the field (outside of check-downs), and off-script playstyle, Wilson is essentially the antithesis of what Payton wants in a QB.

Wilson is a middling to below-middling QB, but can still find success with a run-heavy offense where he has a strong supporting cast around him. If he lands in the right spot, with a solid roster and an OC willing to adjust to his playstyle, he can still find success. I think a lot of Broncos fans will be bewildered next season if he's playing for a wildcard playoff team, but I think that's pretty likely given how cheap a team will be able to get him. Since the Broncos will likely be paying 95%+ of his salary, teams like the Steelers or Raiders will likely be interested in kicking the tires on him for 2 years while they develop a young QB behind him."
From Reddit?

Thanks, but I'll judge the guy for myself once he's playing for the Steelers. But as far as the risk/reward for his acquisition? Couldn't be happier.

Great post.

I liked KP coming out of college, and I was hoping he would develop into a good pro. For the variety of reasons you chronicled above, some of which aren't his fault, unfortunately it's just not happening. And if the modicum of confidence he had left wasn't drained at the end of last season, it certainly is now.
I did too. He was realistically a second-round QB who we got in the first. Prior to his final season at Pitt, he was a day 3 developmental QB. I get taking a chance and I really didn’t think he’d be that bad in the NFL.

The issue with moving forward with him as a starter is he really hasn’t shown any flashes. Sure there were some late-game heroics, but we needed him to take over some games. They just couldn’t put points on the board with Pickett under center.

On top of it, Mason coming in and immediately making the offense look better only hurt Pickett’s chances. Coaches don’t bench their starting QBs for the biggest games of the year and the playoffs. A true starter isn’t benched for “the hot hand.”

From Reddit?

Thanks, but I'll judge the guy for myself once he's playing for the Steelers. But as far as the risk/reward for his acquisition? Couldn't be happier.
Nothing wrong with Reddit. This is a discussion among Broncos fans I think it's insightful.

Yada, yada, yada!
Russell Wilson has been sacked on average over 40 times per season the last four years.
He also has had issues with fumbles.
Hands, jeez, who gives a **** about the size of his hands.
Russell Wilson is 5’10” and Kenny is 6’3”.
That stuff means nothing.
Yes, Kenny hasn’t played up to expectations, with a new OC, a legitimate OC it would be nice to see him set up to succeed.
Now we have to watch this slug Wilson who did crap in Denver.
Broncos wanted him so badly they’re paying him 38 million to go away.
Kenny on hearing the news.....
GIXCfSBXUAAgEcP

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - mishandled Mitch??? Surely you jest???

Not at all. We rushed to sign him first day of free agency (sounds familiar to this year oddly enough), and then drafted a QB in the first round.

Then we extended him after he was benched for Kenny and it was clear he wasn't in the plans as QB1.

We then cut him, a year into his extension.

Explain how that isn't being mishandled. Now we're doing it again with Kenny and Wilson. This franchise was LUCKY Ben fell into their laps. Between Bradshaw and Ben was a **** show, and now we're doing it again after Ben.

Seems like some people are Kenny Pickett fans ahead of being Steeler fans.

Kenny gets the Canada excuse. That may explain why his numbers were low, but not why his numbers were historically awful.

Wilson is washed up you say? He had to play under Daniel Hackert his first year in Denver. A guy who turned in one of the worst coaching jobs in history and was fired after 1 season. Anybody who saw the Jets on hard knocks saw what a clown this guy is. His only skill is being Aaron Rodgers personal playcaller.

Here were Wilson's stats in 22
64% for 3524 yds 16 TD 11 INT

Wilson then had to learn a new offense under Payton. An offense that plays to his weaknesses.
66% 3070 yds 26 TD 8 INT and a 98 QB rating, which was higher than Mahomes, Allen, and Joe Burrow.

So, in Wilson's worst years, he's still far better than Kenny. And that is despite having to learn a new offense 2 years in a row. Javonte Williams was injured as well .

But i guess Kenny is the only QB in history to ever have a bad OC. Maybe we should give him 50 more starts. Statistically, Kenny would have 26 TD passes by his 50th start.

What am I saying? Now that Matt Canada is gone, Kenny will probably throw 40 TDs this year.

You know what Wilson also had a lot more of than Kenny the last few years? Touchdown passes. 42 to 13.

Maybe your oldest son should take another look. Russ had a 100+ QB rating in 8 games last season. Denver won 5 of those. They lost the remaining games by 3 points or less, and in every one of those, the Broncos either had the lead or were tied in the fourth quarter. Doesn't sound like "garbage time" to me.

People that are butthurt for Kenny because of this move need to get over it. The Steelers have upgraded their (starting) quarterback position for $1.2 million dollars. Unheard of in today's NFL. Personally, I think this bings a little needed buzz to the team, and I'm intrigued to see how Wilson does in Pittsburgh this year.
I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining about the signing would be doing the same if we had passed on the signing and Wilson had gone elsewhere for the league minimum.

From Reddit before the Steelers got him:

"This is the truth of Russell Wilson: he needs a number one receiver. He’s the kind of quarterback that will feed a star receiver, nonstop, and be able to make enough plays, not turn the ball over and move the offense. In Denver our receiving core was absolutely ****, so it was Russ running around behind the line trying to make something happen.

Russell still has a canon for an arm, surprisingly good scrambling, won’t throw over the middle, takes way too many sacks, but won’t throw interceptions. He’s very responsible with the ball. He needs a true stud #1"

"Wilson doesn't fit Payton's scheme in the slightest. Payton's scheme involves very quick processing, winning the play at the line of scrimmage, dominating the middle of the field. Juxtapose that with Wilson's hero-ball, unwillingness to do anything in the middle of the field (outside of check-downs), and off-script playstyle, Wilson is essentially the antithesis of what Payton wants in a QB.

Wilson is a middling to below-middling QB, but can still find success with a run-heavy offense where he has a strong supporting cast around him. If he lands in the right spot, with a solid roster and an OC willing to adjust to his playstyle, he can still find success. I think a lot of Broncos fans will be bewildered next season if he's playing for a wildcard playoff team, but I think that's pretty likely given how cheap a team will be able to get him. Since the Broncos will likely be paying 95%+ of his salary, teams like the Steelers or Raiders will likely be interested in kicking the tires on him for 2 years while they develop a young QB behind him."
Whoever wrote this...nailed it! I don't watch any other NFL games besides the steelers, and I've never watched Russel Wilson play so I watched his "highlights" yesterday morning and this is exactly what I saw. the guy essentially bails out of the pocket at the first sign of pressure and does keep his eyes down field but loves to take off and run. Side note, the Broncos offensive line is complete *****! I loved his term "Hero ball", that will be a recurring phrase here at Steeler Nation for sure. The Highlights had 90% of the balls thrown to Sutton. Jeudy and Mims had a few here and there, but Sutton is the "Star" receiver that Wilson targeted in this man's Reddit article.

Thanks for sharing Gildong.

Fields costs you Draft capital AND a higher salary, for the SAME one year rental.

In a discussion WITHOUT an agenda, Wilson is a BETTER QB than Fields. No one can argue that is not true for 2024.

Steelers have shown ZERO ability to develop a QB, let alone rehabilitate a failing QB.
True but I figured if they went with Fields, they'd be looking at extending him for something like Mayfield got. Obviously, they weren't comfortable enough to go the Fields route. I'm good with that. It's also obvious KP will be gone after 4 years. I would be shocked if they picked up his 5th-year option after this coming year unless he somehow gets on the field and shows he has improved significantly.

I did too. He was realistically a second-round QB who we got in the first. Prior to his final season at Pitt, he was a day 3 developmental QB. I get taking a chance and I really didn’t think he’d be that bad in the NFL.

The issue with moving forward with him as a starter is he really hasn’t shown any flashes. Sure there were some late-game heroics, but we needed him to take over some games. They just couldn’t put points on the board with Pickett under center.

On top of it, Mason coming in and immediately making the offense look better only hurt Pickett’s chances. Coaches don’t bench their starting QBs for the biggest games of the year and the playoffs. A true starter isn’t benched for “the hot hand.”
Kenny made that same offense look better immediately as well. He has shown flashes. Had he not gotten hurt we are not having this discussion with him having the rest of the season not playing under Canada. Mason looked better following Mitch not Kenny. Kenny was moving the offense well before he reinjured the ankle, he had been playing hurt on. Yes, he needs a lot of improvement but let's not pretend, ignore or forget he did show improvement the minute Matt was gone.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - mishandled Mitch??? Surely you jest???
The only mishandling of Mitch was whoever saw his brief example of "work" as a Steeler and thought "hey let's give this guy an extension"
T-biscuit was a horse that needed put out to pasture...not handed any sort of extension...and it was OBVIOUS

Nonetheless..... The biggest question to me is.... How do we beat the Chiefs?? Until that puzzle is solved.... There won't be any championship run.

Wilson did beat KC last year with a mediocre Denver team and he has beat Mahomes as a Seahawk too. As a new poster here I should point out that I was a huge Steelers fan in the mid 70's (who wasn't ?) living in Seattle. I was at the Seahawks first ever game in '76 then followed them and Wilson up until a move to Western PA a few years ago where I am now a big Steelers fan once again.

Anyone familiar with the Rocky series knows about regaining the 'eye of the tiger' as Apollo points out in Rocky 3(?) as the fame had gotten to Rocky Balboa and caused him to lose his edge. The same thing happened to Russel Wilson during his tenure in Seattle. The first red flag was his marketing some kind of fizz water then attending major league Spring training camps for extended periods. Marrying Ciarra was the last straw. His attention and play wandered and he was not the same. A less talked-about event that occurred some 6 years ago or so involved the death of his longtime personal guru and mentor who had guided his life since the loss of his father. He was said to be devastated by this loss and the gentleman has yet to be replaced.

Russ himself is a gentleman and a very good person. Yes he comes across as nerdy and ungenuine at times which alienates him from his teammates so this is something he will need to work on to find success with the Steelers. Unfortunately until another 'Apollo Creed' appears to get him focused back to that eye of the tiger, killer instinct mode I'm afraid to say that the Steelers will not advance.
So adding Russ, a guy you say has lost his edge (a negative) to Shades another guy who has OBVIOUSLY lost his edge (another negative) won't work well then.
It appears we are just adding negatives to a situation and by that logic and we will be just digging a ditch for a future.

Now if we can just find a way to multiply these negatives, instead of adding them, we may be onto something!

Moral of the story Russ and Mike need to ride off into the sunset together and have some kids...they'll be the best football players ever!!!

Sorry, but this smells of Tomlin stink signing Wilson. It’s just like shades to be stary eyes over Russell Wilson just like he was with Patrick Peterson enamored with their past accomplishments ignoring the facts that these guys are done.
All I see here is another ******* non losing season and another year wondering about if we have our guy in Kenny or not. We won’t know in 24 if Wilson stays healthy about Kenny so a wasted year for KP.
This QB situation has me as a glass one fifth full guy now...but that is only because I'm an optimist

We know we don't have a HC that can get us there
We know Kenny wasn't the answer (sorry)
Now we add aging Russ, who by all accounts can't be as bad as Kenny but could also be bringing a case of cancer with him?

Wow, this team makes me wanna drink sometimes...told ya I'm an optimist and yep...where's my fifth?

Calling him a 2nd round QB may even be a bit too kind
He probably should've went right along with Ridder, Willis and the other misfits from that draft
Mason was a 3rd round guy, Mason looked better...maybe KP was a late 3rd round guy?

Any way it was a helluva reach and nothing more than a homer pick by the FO and accomplished its desired result of selling jerseys to homers
QB jerseys sell when its an early pick, good news is more jersey sales next year Deuce...winning$$$

All these people blaming Canada were probably the same ones saying Ben was holding Canada back, still probably one of the single dumbest things I've ever read on this board in it's 25 year history.

Does everyone understand Pickett was a 1st round pick, he was the first QB taken in the entire draft. He's supposed to be elite, not just decent, he's never shown one elite quality in his 25 starts, NONE. Stop blaming the OC, if you're an elite QB you're going to make things happen no matter who the OC is, Pickett has done none of that.

All these people blaming Canada were probably the same ones saying Ben was holding Canada back, still probably one of the single dumbest things I've ever read on this board in it's 25 year history.

Does everyone understand Pickett was a 1st round pick, he was the first QB taken in the entire draft. He's supposed to be elite, not just decent, he's never shown one elite quality in his 25 starts, NONE. Stop blaming the OC, if you're an elite QB you're going to make things happen no matter who the OC is, Pickett has done none of that.
He was never supposed to be elite, that's why he wasn't a top 5 pick. You are exaggerating

He was never supposed to be elite, that's why he wasn't a top 5 pick. You are exaggerating
So just top 5 picks are suppose to be elite? I don't think he was ever going to be elite, but the Steelers/Tomlin must've, you don't take a QB in the first round in the hopes that they can just manage a game.

Yada, yada, yada!
Russell Wilson has been sacked on average over 40 times per season the last four years.
He also has had issues with fumbles.
Hands, jeez, who gives a **** about the size of his hands.
Russell Wilson is 5’10” and Kenny is 6’3”.
That stuff means nothing.
Yes, Kenny hasn’t played up to expectations, with a new OC, a legitimate OC it would be nice to see him set up to succeed.
Now we have to watch this slug Wilson who did crap in Denver.
Broncos wanted him so badly they’re paying him 38 million to go away.
I was never a Wilson guy, always thought he was 1000% overrated.
That said, I've watched enough Football to know that a half shot Wilson is worlds better than kenny Pickett. It actually renewed my faith in the front office to some degree. Just knowing that they have seen enough of Kenny to make big moves at QB, makes me think they are tired of losing just like us fans.
Wilson even at this stage is better than 75% of the QB in the league.
Do I think Wilson is gonna lead us to the Superbowl, doubtful, but he gives us a punchers chance.
Anyone who keeps Kenny on the bench is good for the Steelers. Anyone. Considering we got him for next to nothing its a win win.
I also believe Russel could have got more money from other teams, the vet minimum contract means he Wants to be here because he wants to win, and believes the Steelers are his best chance.
That and he saved us from a Justin Fields disaster, atleast Wilson has a winners pedigree, he's been to the top of the mountain.
Love it

Way off base here. No one called him elite.

I was never a Wilson guy, always thought he was 1000% overrated.
That said, I've watched enough Football to know that a half shot Wilson is worlds better than kenny Pickett. It actually renewed my faith in the front office to some degree. Just knowing that they have seen enough of Kenny to make big moves at QB, makes me think they are tired of losing just like us fans.
Wilson even at this stage is better than 75% of the QB in the league.
Do I think Wilson is gonna lead us to the Superbowl, doubtful, but he gives us a punchers chance.
Anyone who keeps Kenny on the bench is good for the Steelers. Anyone. Considering we got him for next to nothing its a win win.
I also believe Russel could have got more money from other teams, the vet minimum contract means he Wants to be here because he wants to win, and believes the Steelers are his best chance.
That and he saved us from a Justin Fields disaster, atleast Wilson has a winners pedigree, he's been to the top of the mountain.
Love it
Just not ready to give up on KP yet!