• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

Why did they go after this has been.
I'm just curious if those calling Wilson a washed up has been have any idea what his stats have been. He wanted out of Seattle because that was a team in decline. Denver and Sean Payton absolutely screwed him. Even so he put up more than decent numbers last season despite it being obvious Payton wanted him out.

I do not like the move one bit. I think it sends a horrible message to Kenny who after Canada was fired played well at Cincinnati and at home the first half against the Cardinals.
Don’t set yourselves up for a SB run with this guy like the Broncos thought they were doing when they signed him. I’m not going to do that!
They needed to run with Kenny this season under Arthur Smith and a stronger OL and give him a legitimate chance.
This stinks of Shades once again who continues to screw up everything he touches with QB being his centerpiece.
Facts:

1. Kenny has happy feet
2. Kenny has very small hands
3. Kenny has single vision
4. Kenny throws as many INTs as TDs
5. Kenny has had TWO concussions
6. Kenny has had TWO surgeries on his ankles
7. Kenny thinks he's not learning while he's on the sideline

Now, let's roll with Kenny for the entire year.

Guess who the blame will be on if we see the same ol' Kenny???

Canada... And clutch is something you can't coach into a player. Other things that people are complaining about with Kenny can be...which is prob why we have a new QB coach.

But her, we got a cheap old QB, all is saved. They mishandled Mason, they mishandled Mitch, now they are repeating the process with Kenny.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - mishandled Mitch??? Surely you jest???

Now that the Fields market has tanked, I would have much rather gotten him for a 3rd (what the pundits are now saying he can be had for.) since you are blowing up KP's chances of staying on the team with the new OC passed his rookie contract. Fields is young and has by no means hit his peak or his ceiling. Wilson is on the last legs of his career.
Marsha says "hi"...

Nonetheless..... The biggest question to me is.... How do we beat the Chiefs?? Until that puzzle is solved.... There won't be any championship run.

Wilson did beat KC last year with a mediocre Denver team and he has beat Mahomes as a Seahawk too. As a new poster here I should point out that I was a huge Steelers fan in the mid 70's (who wasn't ?) living in Seattle. I was at the Seahawks first ever game in '76 then followed them and Wilson up until a move to Western PA a few years ago where I am now a big Steelers fan once again.

Anyone familiar with the Rocky series knows about regaining the 'eye of the tiger' as Apollo points out in Rocky 3(?) as the fame had gotten to Rocky Balboa and caused him to lose his edge. The same thing happened to Russel Wilson during his tenure in Seattle. The first red flag was his marketing some kind of fizz water then attending major league Spring training camps for extended periods. Marrying Ciarra was the last straw. His attention and play wandered and he was not the same. A less talked-about event that occurred some 6 years ago or so involved the death of his longtime personal guru and mentor who had guided his life since the loss of his father. He was said to be devastated by this loss and the gentleman has yet to be replaced.

Russ himself is a gentleman and a very good person. Yes he comes across as nerdy and ungenuine at times which alienates him from his teammates so this is something he will need to work on to find success with the Steelers. Unfortunately until another 'Apollo Creed' appears to get him focused back to that eye of the tiger, killer instinct mode I'm afraid to say that the Steelers will not advance.

Last edited:
Nonetheless..... The biggest question to me is.... How do we beat the Chiefs?? Until that puzzle is solved.... There won't be any championship run.

Wilson did beat KC last year with a mediocre Denver team and he has beat Mahomes as a Seahawk too. As a new poster here I should point out that I was a huge Steelers fan growing up in Seattle in the mid 70's (who wasn't) living in Seattle. I was at the Seahawks first ever game in '76 then followed them and Wilson up until a move to Western PA a few years ago where I am now a big Steelers fan once again.

Anyone familiar with the Rocky series knows about regaining the 'eye of the tiger' as Apollo points out in Rocky 3(?) as the fame had gotten to Rocky Balboa and caused him to lose his edge. The same has happened to Russel Wilson during his tenure in Seattle. The first red flag was his marketing some kind of fizz water then attending major league Spring training camps for extended periods. Marrying Ciarra was the last straw. His attention and play wandered and he was not the same. A less talked-about event that occurred some 6 years ago or so involved the death of his longtime personal guru and mentor who had guided his life since the loss of his father. He was said to be devastated by this loss and the gentleman has yet to be replaced.

Russ himself is a gentleman and a very good person. Yes he comes across as nerdy and ungenuine at times which alienates him from his teammates so this is something he will need to work on to find success with the Steelers. Unfortunately until another 'Apollo Creed' appears to get him focused back to that eye of the tiger, killer instinct mode I'm afraid to say that the Steelers will not advance
Very interesting back story. Thanks...

Facts:

1. Kenny has happy feet
2. Kenny has very small hands
3. Kenny has single vision
4. Kenny throws as many INTs as TDs
5. Kenny has had TWO concussions
6. Kenny has had TWO surgeries on his ankles
7. Kenny thinks he's not learning while he's on the sideline

Now, let's roll with Kenny for the entire year.

Guess who the blame will be on if we see the same ol' Kenny???
Yada, yada, yada!
Russell Wilson has been sacked on average over 40 times per season the last four years.
He also has had issues with fumbles.
Hands, jeez, who gives a **** about the size of his hands.
Russell Wilson is 5’10” and Kenny is 6’3”.
That stuff means nothing.
Yes, Kenny hasn’t played up to expectations, with a new OC, a legitimate OC it would be nice to see him set up to succeed.
Now we have to watch this slug Wilson who did crap in Denver.
Broncos wanted him so badly they’re paying him 38 million to go away.

Yada, yada, yada!
Russell Wilson has been sacked on average over 40 times per season the last four years.
He also has had issues with fumbles.
Hands, jeez, who gives a **** about the size of his hands.
Russell Wilson is 5’10” and Kenny is 6’3”.
That stuff means nothing.
Yes, Kenny hasn’t played up to expectations, with a new OC, a legitimate OC it would be nice to see him set up to succeed.
Now we have to watch this slug Wilson who did crap in Denver.
Broncos wanted him so badly they’re paying him 38 million to go away.
Can I buy you some pom poms???

Denver, as a team, was HOLISTICALLY terrible last year. Russell Wilson won FIVE games straight before the wheels started to come off the bus again.

We've already shown you the comparison of Kenny's stats (last year) to Russell's. Do you honestly think Kenny is the better QB? Kenny, who COULD NOT get his spot back from Mason Rudolph.

Let that last sentence marinate like some good jerked chicken, 24 hours, before you respond...

They’re just kicking the can down the road to more years of 9-7. Wilson will not win playoff games at 36. He will be dump off short pass chump when the rats and browns rush him. He’s 36, doesn’t have mobility, doesn’t want to get hit, and just adds another skill position diva to our offense that already has them in spades, at least Rudolph and Pickett tried to forge a relationship with the youngwide receivers, Wilson is a selfish older player and will do none of that, get ready for Instagram drama gents

He will give our beloved hc another year of 8-8 to 10-6 football and a wild card exit ceiling.

Omar needs to be allowed to decide what QB is their long term guy then trade up to a premium pick to get him, then get a competent head coach to develop him-none of which will happen of course
He was running in TDs for the broncs and making big runs without sliding. Watch some Broncs tape.

Sorry, but this smells of Tomlin stink signing Wilson. It’s just like shades to be stary eyes over Russell Wilson just like he was with Patrick Peterson enamored with their past accomplishments ignoring the facts that these guys are done.
All I see here is another ******* non losing season and another year wondering about if we have our guy in Kenny or not. We won’t know in 24 if Wilson stays healthy about Kenny so a wasted year for KP.

Can I buy you some pom poms???

Denver, as a team, was HOLISTICALLY terrible last year. Russell Wilson won FIVE games straight before the wheels started to come off the bus again.

We've already shown you the comparison of Kenny's stats (last year) to Russell's. Do you honestly think Kenny is the better QB? Kenny, who COULD NOT get his spot back from Mason Rudolph.

Let that last sentence marinate like some good jerked chicken, 24 hours, before you respond...
I’m attempting to get through to you that we don’t know what we have in Kenny Pickett.
He was put in the absolute worst situation with an incompetent OC but when he was fired Kenny shined at Cincinnati.
The smart thing to have done is give Kenny the opportunity to play under a competent OC in 24 with some actual NFL playcalling but no, they panicked because this defense is getting older.
They are not a QB away from being a contender and Wilson will not get them that far.

Kenny ain't Bradshaw...he's Shawshank without the Redemption!!!
I agree with you most of the time but I think Kenny is far better than Matt let him look. I think if he takes the challenge he can beat Wilson for the spot.

so according to Denver fans, who may be jaded.... Wilson is out because he wouldn't throw over the middle anymore and just used garbage time to pad stats..

So basically he already knows tge offensive scheme here 🤣
I’ve also heard that about Wilson not wanting to use the middle of the field and padding stats in garbage time.
My oldest son lives in Colorado and caught all their games and he confirmed as much.

Wilson has a lot of sacks and fumbles the last few years and that should be interesting with Tomlin.
You know what Wilson also had a lot more of than Kenny the last few years? Touchdown passes. 42 to 13.
I’ve also heard that about Wilson not wanting to use the middle of the field and padding stats in garbage time.
My oldest son lives in Colorado and caught all their games and he confirmed as much.
Maybe your oldest son should take another look. Russ had a 100+ QB rating in 8 games last season. Denver won 5 of those. They lost the remaining games by 3 points or less, and in every one of those, the Broncos either had the lead or were tied in the fourth quarter. Doesn't sound like "garbage time" to me.

People that are butthurt for Kenny because of this move need to get over it. The Steelers have upgraded their (starting) quarterback position for $1.2 million dollars. Unheard of in today's NFL. Personally, I think this bings a little needed buzz to the team, and I'm intrigued to see how Wilson does in Pittsburgh this year.

I’m attempting to get through to you that we don’t know what we have in Kenny Pickett.
He was put in the absolute worst situation with an incompetent OC but when he was fired Kenny shined at Cincinnati.
The smart thing to have done is give Kenny the opportunity to play under a competent OC in 24 with some actual NFL playcalling but no, they panicked because this defense is getting older.
They are not a QB away from being a contender and Wilson will not get them that far.
Canada was part of the problem no doubt, but you can watch All 22 tape of Kenny missing wide open guys over and over in games. Whatever his problem is..it is a problem. Mason was better in the pocket than he was, very telling.

Wilson did beat KC last year with a mediocre Denver team and he has beat Mahomes as a Seahawk too. As a new poster here I should point out that I was a huge Steelers fan in the mid 70's (who wasn't ?) living in Seattle. I was at the Seahawks first ever game in '76 then followed them and Wilson up until a move to Western PA a few years ago where I am now a big Steelers fan once again.

Anyone familiar with the Rocky series knows about regaining the 'eye of the tiger' as Apollo points out in Rocky 3(?) as the fame had gotten to Rocky Balboa and caused him to lose his edge. The same thing happened to Russel Wilson during his tenure in Seattle. The first red flag was his marketing some kind of fizz water then attending major league Spring training camps for extended periods. Marrying Ciarra was the last straw. His attention and play wandered and he was not the same. A less talked-about event that occurred some 6 years ago or so involved the death of his longtime personal guru and mentor who had guided his life since the loss of his father. He was said to be devastated by this loss and the gentleman has yet to be replaced.

Russ himself is a gentleman and a very good person. Yes he comes across as nerdy and ungenuine at times which alienates him from his teammates so this is something he will need to work on to find success with the Steelers. Unfortunately until another 'Apollo Creed' appears to get him focused back to that eye of the tiger, killer instinct mode I'm afraid to say that the Steelers will not advance.

Very good first time post, keep them coming…………………. Welcome to the board and back to STEELERS football.

Salute the nation

I agree with you most of the time but I think Kenny is far better than Matt let him look. I think if he takes the challenge he can beat Wilson for the spot.

He has no choice but to ”take” the challenge. I’m hoping its a fair QB competition and the truly best QB plays because as I see it, could be both’s last year here.

Salute the nation

I hope Kenny beats him out in the summer but Tomlin most likely already promised the job to Wilson.
Pickett was showing better after Canada got fired and he should have been given the chance in 24 under a new OC.
Chances are he performs better under Smith and if he doesn’t then we draft a WN in 25.
Wilson has a lot of sacks and fumbles the last few years and that should be interesting with Tomlin.
We shall see but I hate the move and think it does no good for Kenny’s progress.
The Steelers failed to develop Pickett in a number of ways.
1. Hiring Matt Canada in the first place. Keeping him after his first season was bad. Keeping him again after his dismal second season as OC and an even worse decision.
2. A pathetic offensive line for Pickett's first year.
3. Planning for a strong running game, but not buying into the philosophy until around 10 or so games into each season of Pickett's first two years.
4. Lazy effort by his receivers, completing ignoring the tight end in the passing game, as well as not utilizing the running backs.

Investments in all these areas would've set Pickett up for success. However, his faults were evident the entire time.
1. Scrambling himself into pressure, whether that was rolling out or simply not stepping up into the pocket. He created too much pressure on his own and yet some continued to blame the OL when it was a clean pocket.
2. The inability to throw TDs. He had trouble with this three years while at Pitt. His NFL numbers in this department are embarrassing. What's worse is Pickett fans (I say this in the sense they'd rather him succeed than the team) point to two dropped TDs as though an extra 2 TDs would be some sort of accomplishment.
3. Missing throws that were there. Canada was bad, real bad. Pickett just flat out missed passes that were wide open.

As poor as his surroundings were, Pickett would still be the starting QB if he had a better pocket presence, better anticipation on his passes, and threw TD passes last season. There were plenty of opportunities to have success in these areas and he didn't. In two seasons he didn't dominate a single game and arguably only had one full game where he played well. Other than that, he had good quarters here and there. That's it.

You know what Wilson also had a lot more of than Kenny the last few years? Touchdown passes. 42 to 13.

Maybe your oldest son should take another look. Russ had a 100+ QB rating in 8 games last season. Denver won 5 of those. They lost the remaining games by 3 points or less, and in every one of those, the Broncos either had the lead or were tied in the fourth quarter. Doesn't sound like "garbage time" to me.

People that are butthurt for Kenny because of this move need to get over it. The Steelers have upgraded their (starting) quarterback position for $1.2 million dollars. Unheard of in today's NFL. Personally, I think this bings a little needed buzz to the team, and I'm intrigued to see how Wilson does in Pittsburgh this year.
From Reddit before the Steelers got him:

"This is the truth of Russell Wilson: he needs a number one receiver. He’s the kind of quarterback that will feed a star receiver, nonstop, and be able to make enough plays, not turn the ball over and move the offense. In Denver our receiving core was absolutely ****, so it was Russ running around behind the line trying to make something happen.

Russell still has a canon for an arm, surprisingly good scrambling, won’t throw over the middle, takes way too many sacks, but won’t throw interceptions. He’s very responsible with the ball. He needs a true stud #1"

"Wilson doesn't fit Payton's scheme in the slightest. Payton's scheme involves very quick processing, winning the play at the line of scrimmage, dominating the middle of the field. Juxtapose that with Wilson's hero-ball, unwillingness to do anything in the middle of the field (outside of check-downs), and off-script playstyle, Wilson is essentially the antithesis of what Payton wants in a QB.

Wilson is a middling to below-middling QB, but can still find success with a run-heavy offense where he has a strong supporting cast around him. If he lands in the right spot, with a solid roster and an OC willing to adjust to his playstyle, he can still find success. I think a lot of Broncos fans will be bewildered next season if he's playing for a wildcard playoff team, but I think that's pretty likely given how cheap a team will be able to get him. Since the Broncos will likely be paying 95%+ of his salary, teams like the Steelers or Raiders will likely be interested in kicking the tires on him for 2 years while they develop a young QB behind him."

The Steelers failed to develop Pickett in a number of ways.
1. Hiring Matt Canada in the first place. Keeping him after his first season was bad. Keeping him again after his dismal second season as OC and an even worse decision.
2. A pathetic offensive line for Pickett's first year.
3. Planning for a strong running game, but not buying into the philosophy until around 10 or so games into each season of Pickett's first two years.
4. Lazy effort by his receivers, completing ignoring the tight end in the passing game, as well as not utilizing the running backs.

Investments in all these areas would've set Pickett up for success. However, his faults were evident the entire time.
1. Scrambling himself into pressure, whether that was rolling out or simply not stepping up into the pocket. He created too much pressure on his own and yet some continued to blame the OL when it was a clean pocket.
2. The inability to throw TDs. He had trouble with this three years while at Pitt. His NFL numbers in this department are embarrassing. What's worse is Pickett fans (I say this in the sense they'd rather him succeed than the team) point to two dropped TDs as though an extra 2 TDs would be some sort of accomplishment.
3. Missing throws that were there. Canada was bad, real bad. Pickett just flat out missed passes that were wide open.

As poor as his surroundings were, Pickett would still be the starting QB if he had a better pocket presence, better anticipation on his passes, and threw TD passes last season. There were plenty of opportunities to have success in these areas and he didn't. In two seasons he didn't dominate a single game and arguably only had one full game where he played well. Other than that, he had good quarters here and there. That's it.
Great post.

I liked KP coming out of college, and I was hoping he would develop into a good pro. For the variety of reasons you chronicled above, some of which aren't his fault, unfortunately it's just not happening. And if the modicum of confidence he had left wasn't drained at the end of last season, it certainly is now.