• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

I wonder how Falcon fans are feeling about signing "old man" Kirk Cousins for more than 100 million to "compete" against their young hot shot QB?

Last edited:
Way off base here. No one called him elite.
Then why draft him in the 1st round??? You don't waste a 1st round pick on a QB if you're only expecting him to be a game manager. It may not be fair to him, but that comes with the job.

So just top 5 picks are suppose to be elite? I don't think he was ever going to be elite, but the Steelers/Tomlin must've, you don't take a QB in the first round in the hopes that they can just manage a game.
There's a reason 20 teams passed on him. I didn't like the pick either but the FO took the shot. The word elite wasn't in any Pickett draft analysis, he was the best QB of slhis draft, don't know how or why that makes him automatically elite

There's a reason 20 teams passed on him. I didn't like the pick either but the FO took the shot. The word elite wasn't in any Pickett draft analysis, he was the best QB of slhis draft, don't know how or why that makes him automatically elite
I'm not saying he's elite, I'm not saying any draft person said he was elite, but you don't take a QB at #20 overall to be a game manager, Tomlin/Steelers thought he was going to be "The Guy" or they wouldn't have taken him. That's why they brought Wilson in, they realized Pickett is nothing more than a career back up.

I'm not saying he's elite, I'm not saying any draft person said he was elite, but you don't take a QB at #20 overall to be a game manager, Tomlin/Steelers thought he was going to be "The Guy" or they wouldn't have taken him. That's why they brought Wilson in, they realized Pickett is nothing more than a career back up.
They were supposing he could develop. He hasn't yet and now he better beat Wilson on his 3rd year in the league.

The Steelers did not install a new offense after Canada left. It was the same playbook. The situational playcalling improved a ton but it’s not like they drew up secret plays. Mason just executed them far better than Kenny or Mitch. Instead of fleeing the pocket at the first perceived pressure, Mason stayed in the pocket and made the right read and throw.

Here’s the plays to Pickens vs the Bengals. I don’t think Kenny makes any of these big plays. On the first one, Mason does have some pressure in his face. I bet Kenny would have rolled out. That would not have been the fault of the play design.

I’m attempting to get through to you that we don’t know what we have in Kenny Pickett.
He was put in the absolute worst situation with an incompetent OC but when he was fired Kenny shined at Cincinnati.
The smart thing to have done is give Kenny the opportunity to play under a competent OC in 24 with some actual NFL playcalling but no, they panicked because this defense is getting older.
They are not a QB away from being a contender and Wilson will not get them that far.
You didn't let it marinate long enough...

Not at all. We rushed to sign him first day of free agency (sounds familiar to this year oddly enough), and then drafted a QB in the first round.

Then we extended him after he was benched for Kenny and it was clear he wasn't in the plans as QB1.

We then cut him, a year into his extension.

Explain how that isn't being mishandled. Now we're doing it again with Kenny and Wilson. This franchise was LUCKY Ben fell into their laps. Between Bradshaw and Ben was a **** show, and now we're doing it again after Ben.
I get it, but...

None of that mattered when Mitch had his chances during live action. When the bullets were flying and the mortars were dropping around him---Mitch sucked and ducked. And then would, obviously, be very generous and give the opposing team an apple turnover for their troubles...

All these people blaming Canada were probably the same ones saying Ben was holding Canada back, still probably one of the single dumbest things I've ever read on this board in it's 25 year history.

Does everyone understand Pickett was a 1st round pick, he was the first QB taken in the entire draft. He's supposed to be elite, not just decent, he's never shown one elite quality in his 25 starts, NONE. Stop blaming the OC, if you're an elite QB you're going to make things happen no matter who the OC is, Pickett has done none of that.
Thread done.

I leave the country for a bit and this lunacy happens! What a bunch of desperate attention seeking BS! Wilson Is as done as an ice cream sickle left of the sidewalk in August! WOW tomlin just can’t do enough to bring this franchise down! Wilson had great weapons, hof offensive coach in denver didn’t get **** done but he is here with none of the tools he had in Denver? really? Anyone buying into that bs?

The NFL draft is a crap shoot from 1:1

I leave the country for a bit and this lunacy happens! What a bunch of desperate attention seeking BS! Wilson Is as done as an ice cream sickle left of the sidewalk in August! WOW tomlin just can’t do enough to bring this franchise down! Wilson had great weapons, hof offensive coach in denver didn’t get **** done but he is here with none of the tools he had in Denver? really? Anyone buying into that bs?
Wilson beat 4 playoff teams in a 5 game winning streak in October and November. The reason he was in turmoil wasn't his play. It was because the Broncos wanted to break his contract and the CBA by relinquishing his injury guarantee. Wilson refused - why wouldn't he. Then the Broncos (I'm sure because of Payton) decided to bench Wilson at the end of the season because of the injury clause, and just cut ties because of the terrible contract THAT THEY AGREED TO!

Then why draft him in the first round? I would expect any first round draft pick to be elite at their position.
Hardly. Many years there are not enough first round grades to fill the first round. Matt Williamson averages about 18 to 24 first round grades and he is a former scout. Not all first-round grades would even be considered elite. Only maybe the top 10 if that.

Last edited:
Reactions: GMC
I don't think that is why they brought Wilson in at all. They promised real competition and that is what he is but at a bargain bin discount rack price. I doubt they even consider him if he wasn't cheap and easily jettisoned. It doesn't have to speak to their thoughts on Kenny one bit. At his price they can't really lose. He would be a great backup at one hell of a price if he gets beat out and if he complains or whines, he is easily cut. He either makes Kenny better or can start if needed and we would be ok. I think you and others are reading way too much into this. But hell, I could be the one wrong. We will see, maybe.

The Steelers did not install a new offense after Canada left. It was the same playbook. The situational playcalling improved a ton but it’s not like they drew up secret plays. Mason just executed them far better than Kenny or Mitch. Instead of fleeing the pocket at the first perceived pressure, Mason stayed in the pocket and made the right read and throw.

Here’s the plays to Pickens vs the Bengals. I don’t think Kenny makes any of these big plays. On the first one, Mason does have some pressure in his face. I bet Kenny would have rolled out. That would not have been the fault of the play design.

Go watch Kenny's first game and the throw he makes to Muth in the pocket with a guy in his face. He can do it. He made some big time throws his rookie year. He made one to win the game to Pickens that in my mind was the beginning of the end of Canada after his sour puss reaction. He can do it. the question is can he fix his mentality and get back some of that bravado we saw in late game situations before Matt ruined his head.

REALITY CHEQUE $$$$$$$$$$$$

R Wilson 1year 1.2 Million ........ STEELERs only have one QB on current roster (KP)..... even if they signed him to hand out gatorade or hold a clip board .... he fills a need ....cheap ..... if he takes Kenny's job so be it ......... if he plays backup ... he is alot better than Mitch was ... If we draft a QB he provides a form of mentor ...
It allows us to free up money to land guys like Patrick Queen .......... hell I would guess he is cheaper than the punter we just signed...

our other options that are now signed to contracts ........... I am glad we took advantage of the Broncos situation ... and love the fact they will be paying his salary for the most part

Mitch Trubisky...................... 2 year 5.25 Million
Jacoby Brissett ................... 1 year 8 Million
Tyrod Taylor......................... 2 year 18 Million
Drew Lock ............................1 year 5 Million
Sam Darnold........................ 1 year 10 Million
Marcus Mariota ....................1 year 6 Million
Gardner Minshew .................2 year 25 Million
Baker Mayfield ......................3 year 100 Million
Kirk Cousins .........................4 year 180 Million

Consider dear Steeler friends! What Kenny has to be is efficient. He does not need to be elite, but efficient.
Put in a real offense if the Steelers can get 25 to 28 TDs with under 10 ints, 3200-3500 yards, with a good passer rating not great but good, I’m happy.
With a powerful running game, opening play action I just need Kenny to be efficient.
I’m not delusional thinking he will ever be Ben because he won’t, but I don’t need him to.
He needs to clean up his mechanics, get in a good system and I think he’ll be fine,
I never thought of Kenny as being elite and that’s fine, doesn’t need to be, not too many of those out there anyway. I want to see how he performs under Arthur Smith and if he can be that efficient QB I think he can be.

I was never a Wilson guy, always thought he was 1000% overrated.
That said, I've watched enough Football to know that a half shot Wilson is worlds better than kenny Pickett. It actually renewed my faith in the front office to some degree. Just knowing that they have seen enough of Kenny to make big moves at QB, makes me think they are tired of losing just like us fans.
Wilson even at this stage is better than 75% of the QB in the league.
Do I think Wilson is gonna lead us to the Superbowl, doubtful, but he gives us a punchers chance.
Anyone who keeps Kenny on the bench is good for the Steelers. Anyone. Considering we got him for next to nothing its a win win.
I also believe Russel could have got more money from other teams, the vet minimum contract means he Wants to be here because he wants to win, and believes the Steelers are his best chance.
That and he saved us from a Justin Fields disaster, atleast Wilson has a winners pedigree, he's been to the top of the mountain.
Love it

Wilson is getting paid 39 MILLION dollars total. The Steelers are only on the hook for 1.2 million of it.

I don't see a defense that's superbowl caliber. They couldn't even stop two 2-10 teams at home in back to back weeks.

They'll have to score way more than they've been doing the last 4-6 years to offset that wet rice paper in the middle of the field.

I am optimistic about them and the draft coming up.
If they can address Center and another Tackle who are above the mark, they could really do something on offense.

Kenny was not given every opportunity to shine. One and a half games without the worst OC the NFL has seen in well over a decade is not every opportunity...
You don’t get unlimited chances in the NFL. You gotta take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. Kenny had his chance and he treated it like it was his birthright. Now he’ll have to sit back and watch (just like Mason did) and wait for another opportunity. It may or may not come along. Call it unfair if you like, but that’s the way of today’s NFL.

You don’t get unlimited chances in the NFL. You gotta take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. Kenny had his chance and he treated it like it was his birthright. Now he’ll have to sit back and watch (just like Mason did) and wait for another opportunity. It may or may not come along. Call it unfair if you like, but that’s the way of today’s NFL.
You assume he doesn't beat out Wilson. I wouldn't make that assumption.

REALITY CHEQUE $$$$$$$$$$$$

R Wilson 1year 1.2 Million ........ STEELERs only have one QB on current roster (KP)..... even if they signed him to hand out gatorade or hold a clip board .... he fills a need ....cheap ..... if he takes Kenny's job so be it ......... if he plays backup ... he is alot better than Mitch was ... If we draft a QB he provides a form of mentor ...
It allows us to free up money to land guys like Patrick Queen .......... hell I would guess he is cheaper than the punter we just signed...

our other options that are now signed to contracts ........... I am glad we took advantage of the Broncos situation ... and love the fact they will be paying his salary for the most part

Mitch Trubisky...................... 2 year 5.25 Million
Jacoby Brissett ................... 1 year 8 Million
Tyrod Taylor......................... 2 year 18 Million
Drew Lock ............................1 year 5 Million
Sam Darnold........................ 1 year 10 Million
Marcus Mariota ....................1 year 6 Million
Gardner Minshew .................2 year 25 Million
Baker Mayfield ......................3 year 100 Million
Kirk Cousins .........................4 year 180 Million
Wait a minute wait a
Minute!!!

Where is Mason’s name on that list?

T- biscuit getting yet another chance, scrubs like Mariotta and Lock and injury prone old man Taylor all getting paid!

**** Cam Newton May sign before Mason and then Mason comes crawling back to Pit on a vet min deal too 😂

I want all our backup QBs combined to be paid less than the punter!!

You can bet Rudolph isn't signing for vet minimum. Not here anyway
That’s not really up to Mason though. It depends on the market. I am not sure if he’ll get offered a starting position or not, I doubt it. He may get called to be a back-up somewhere. Remember, this is the same guy who didn’t get a single call last year and hasn’t been mentioned yet this year.

He’s not as much in the driver’s seat as Steeler fans would have you believe. He wanted out last year, but was smart enough not to burn his bridges here. Truth be told, he is more indebted to Tomlin than Tomlin is to him.