• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL 2023 draft simulator

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would not criticize using pick 16 on Skoronski, but think that when Sutton leaves, the Steelers are back to depending on Witherspoon to take the #2 CB spot and that did not work out well in 2022. I think three CB's are definitely worth a top-20 pick: Ringo, Porter Jr. and Gonzalez.

Cam Smith of South Carolina is just a tick below that level because he is just not as big as the first three. The next tier of Witherspoon (Illinois) and Branch (Alabama) is definitely not the same level. I can all but guarantee that one of the three in the "2nd tier" becomes a very good NFL CB, but the question is, "Which one?"

You draft Ringo, Porter Jr. or Gonzalez and you have a guy who is in your defensive backfield for 5 seasons doing good things.
I think they make Sutton a priority resign not that they still don't need a corner in addition to. He is too versatile for the Steelers to let go IMO. Being able to play multiple positions on the D. Spoon's role on D has sailed. I don't think the team is revisiting his decline.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure which of the 2 mock draft sites have truly better rankings but I am thinking this one does. Snagged a good OT in the first and a good CB in the 2nd. With our 2nd second-round pick I made our OL a strength with arguably the best G in the draft. Morris is very athletic to go opposite Cam. If he doesn't start in year 1, he will push for the spot early. Xavier is another big-bodied WR. Hopefully, Austin comes back from his injury and is given a chance. The Steelers have a habit of leaving injured rookies on the side of the road and don't give them much of a chance in year 2 after the injury. We've seen it time and time again. I've said I don't know much about Baldonado from Pitt but his athletic profile and story make him a very intriguing late-round pick. Eichenberg is another interesting late-round pick.

I still think we need that big, powerful NT in the middle who commands double teams to make the entire D work. I think it is foolish for Tomlin to keep ignoring the elephant in the room because of "sub-package football". Any big man that can command double teams in the middle of the line and collapse the pocket like Big Snack used to is an asset to the entire D. These guys aren't just 2 down players if used correctly. This draft didn't fall that way but I think we need that big NT in the next draft or two to make our D truly special while Watt is still in his prime.

Nice. Witherspoon reminds me a ton of Cam Sutton. Same size, speed, very good instincts when the ball is in the air. Eichenberg at 234 would be a steal. He is a run stuffer for THE Ohio State. Not great in pass coverage but against the Rats and Clowns, he would pay dividends.

Jones is very good. Has the skill set to be a plug-and-play starter with the benefit of going against Nolan Smith in practice and edge rushers like Anderson, Ojulari, Sanders, and the awesomely-named Princely Umanmielen on game-day.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So this is my "hell yeah, big uglies all the way, woo-hoo!!!" draft.

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

Siaki Ika
    DT Baylor
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• PIT

Devon Witherspoon
    CB Illinois
    trade icon
  • PIT

Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

• PIT

Jaylon Jones
    CB Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • 2024 NYG 6th

You want to do the goal-line drill? Sure. You bet. Jalen Carter at 16? Ika at 50? No way I let the Rats get Mazi Smith. Those three plus Heyward, Loudermilk, and the DL is rock solid for the next several seasons. Campbell is big, mobile, a tackling machine and quite good in zone coverage. He of course will not have any blockers in his way because Carter, Ika, Heyward and Smith are destroying at least 6 blockers. Harrison a talented LT, Witherspoon and Jones both solid CB's.

Yeah, yeah, C, S and WR. But the defensive line!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I would not criticize using pick 16 on Skoronski, but think that when Sutton leaves, the Steelers are back to depending on Witherspoon to take the #2 CB spot and that did not work out well in 2022. I think three CB's are definitely worth a top-20 pick: Ringo, Porter Jr. and Gonzalez.

Cam Smith of South Carolina is just a tick below that level because he is just not as big as the first three. The next tier of Witherspoon (Illinois) and Branch (Alabama) is definitely not the same level. I can all but guarantee that one of the three in the "2nd tier" becomes a very good NFL CB, but the question is, "Which one?"

You draft Ringo, Porter Jr. or Gonzalez and you have a guy who is in your defensive backfield for 5 seasons doing good things.
In my offseason, I am re-signing Sutton :)

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In my offseason, I am re-signing Sutton :)

I'd buy that for quite a few dollars.

Even then, imagine Gonzalez or Porter Jr. as the #1 CB, Pierre as the #2, and Sutton on the slot receiver. Upgrade the DL, ILB, make sure TJ stays healthy, and now the defense is elite.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So this is my "hell yeah, big uglies all the way, woo-hoo!!!" draft.

pfn-logo-black

• PIT

Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

Siaki Ika
    DT Baylor
    trade icon
  • PIT

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• PIT

Devon Witherspoon
    CB Illinois
    trade icon
  • PIT

Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

• PIT

Jaylon Jones
    CB Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • 2024 NYG 6th

You want to do the goal-line drill? Sure. You bet. Jalen Carter at 16? Ika at 50? No way I let the Rats get Mazi Smith. Those three plus Heyward, Loudermilk, and the DL is rock solid for the next several seasons. Campbell is big, mobile, a tackling machine and quite good in zone coverage. He of course will not have any blockers in his way because Carter, Ika, Heyward and Smith are destroying at least 6 blockers. Harrison a talented LT, Witherspoon and Jones both solid CB's.

Yeah, yeah, C, S and WR. But the defensive line!!
Put 2 NT's in at once or sub one for the other to keep both fresh for all 3 downs throughout the game. Putting 2 huge NT's in the middle would actually be interesting. They would completely collapse the pocket. Teams would have to run to the outside and our OLB's would run wild from the outside. Hmmmm.....A new D concept.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Put 2 NT's in at once or sub one for the other to keep both fresh for all 3 downs throughout the game. Putting 2 huge NT's in the middle would actually be interesting. They would completely collapse the pocket. Teams would have to run to the outside and our OLB's would run wild from the outside. Hmmmm.....A new D concept.

Goal-line or 3rd and 4th and short, both in the game. Otherwise alternate them. You have two 340 lb. athletic NT's who stay fresh, they are going to do damage.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'd buy that for quite a few dollars.

Even then, imagine Gonzalez or Porter Jr. as the #1 CB, Pierre as the #2, and Sutton on the slot receiver. Upgrade the DL, ILB, make sure TJ stays healthy, and now the defense is elite.
What are we doing with this offense, hoping that it gets better with the same players?

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
  • 13 Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia​

• 33 Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State​

• 43 Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia​

• 74 Jordan Addison, WR, USC​

• 109 Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama​

• 209 Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame​

• 225 Cal Adomitis, LS, Pitt​

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What are we doing with this offense, hoping that it gets better with the same players?

Draft has more than one round. 1st pick - CB

But very good LT at 33, then WR at 46. Or 77. WR I like in the 2nd - he may not last until 46 - is Rashee Rice of SMU. Great hands. Catches in traffic. Solid footwork, puts both feet inbounds. Big (6'2", 200 lbs.) so he can play the X or Y. Pickens, Rice, and (we hope) Calvin Austin along with Freiermuth would be a challenging matchup.

If Steelers go Rice at 33 - and I have done that in a couple mocks - then Jaelyn Duncan at 46. Or Freeland at 77. Both very good prospects at LT. Duncan is huge but moves like he is a 250 lb. TE.

Oh, and fire Canada.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
  • 13 Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia​

• 33 Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State​

• 43 Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia​

• 74 Jordan Addison, WR, USC​

• 109 Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama​

• 209 Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame​

• 225 Cal Adomitis, LS, Pitt​

Coach would make that happen. I mean, Johnson, Ringo, Addison, and Anderson are projected to go a bit higher but when you WANT those players to be there, then they should be there. I call it the "Ed Reed" dynamic.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach would make that happen. I mean, Johnson, Ringo, Addison, and Anderson are projected to go a bit higher but when you WANT those players to be there, then they should be there. I call it the "Ed Reed" dynamic.
I just reasoned that because the actual draft hasn't happened, this is still possible.
Annnnnd, if I'm right....... :ROFLMAO:

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
the trades are getting crazy on that site. drop back 4 picks get a 2024 1st. Drop back 8 picks, pick up a 2023 2nd and 2024 1st and 2nd. Would love it if that actually happened.

I am going to stop taking trades. the Steelers very seldom actually move around.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
  • PIT

Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

Siaki Ika
    DT Baylor

• PIT

Warren McClendon
    OT Georgia

• PIT

Dontayvion Wicks
    WR Virginia

• PIT

Doug Nester
    OG West Virginia

• PIT

Aidan O'Connell
    QB Purdue

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
  • PIT

Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia

• PIT

Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• PIT

Siaki Ika
    DT Baylor

• PIT

Warren McClendon
    OT Georgia

• PIT

Dontayvion Wicks
    WR Virginia

• PIT

Doug Nester
    OG West Virginia

• PIT

Aidan O'Connell
    QB Purdue
Went hard in the trenches!

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
16. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State - if he's one of the guys still there, we're very unlikely to pass on him.
33. Broderick Jones, T, Georgia - Huge man with strength and mobility. Kick Moore inside to LG.
46. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia - Cole hasn't been too bad, but you don't put low octane gas in a Lamborghini. He'll help protect Pickett while also opening the run game.
77. Steve Avila, G, TCU - Another huge man. Gives us competion inside the line, and he offers versatility to also play C.
112. Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin - Fits the DL size mode we've been going for.
212. Payton Wilson, LB, NC State - Fiery inside LB to replace the undersized Bush.
225. Dontae Bull, OT, Fresno St - Likely a practice squad player, but could also contribute after Chuks' current contract is up.

Leaves me needing a WR, but we have Pickens and Johnson returning. Austin and Miller are also going to be back after being IR'ed for the season. I don't see WR as a huge need this go-around.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
16. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State - if he's one of the guys still there, we're very unlikely to pass on him.
33. Broderick Jones, T, Georgia - Huge man with strength and mobility. Kick Moore inside to LG.
46. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia - Cole hasn't been too bad, but you don't put low octane gas in a Lamborghini. He'll help protect Pickett while also opening the run game.
77. Steve Avila, G, TCU - Another huge man. Gives us competion inside the line, and he offers versatility to also play C.
212. Payton Wilson, LB, NC State - Fiery inside LB to replace the undersized Bush.
225. Dontae Bull, OT, Fresno St - Likely a practice squad player, but could also contribute after Chuks' current contract is up.

Leaves me needing a WR, but we have Pickens and Johnson returning. Austin and Miller are also going to be back after being IR'ed for the season.
Not banking on Austin or Miller. But I like your draft. We could still pick up a slot option in free agency.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Leaves me needing a WR, but we have Pickens and Johnson returning. Austin and Miller are also going to be back after being IR'ed for the season. I don't see WR as a huge need this go-around.

That would be a very good draft. Porter Jr. looks to be a force as a #1 CB. Big, physical, can go 1-on-1 against big receivers like Chase and Cooper. Jones is a very good prospect. He will be a starting tackle, probably at LT, RT at the worst. Van Pran is not as big as some centers but has excellent balance and blasts defenders with a punch to win the leverage war.

I think Benton is undervalued and could wind up being a force in the middle. Wilson is a tackling machine. Bigger than Bush, good quickness. I suspect he runs a 4.65 at the combine and never makes it to 212 but if he does, damn right he is a good pick.

Don't know anything about Avila and Bull other than the fact Bull is a great name for an offensive lineman.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
another go at it... I'm not trading for future draft picks, keeping all my picks in this draft.

16. Porter, CB, Penn State
33. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
49. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
77. Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
99. Mazi Smith, DT, Meatchicken
112. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, LB, Washington
225. Akheem Mesidor, DT, Miami (FL)

recurring theme in my drafts is I lean more to Porter in the 1st, even if there is a higher ranked player available on this mock site. I look for a OT with our first pick in the second round, then either a C or BPA. I think Cole has done an adequate job, but I'm looking to upgrade wherever I can, except at QB and RB. My first three picks would, IMO, be excellent. Hyatt could very well make DJ expendable, even if we trade him mid-draft. Hyatt has the hands and speed to complement Pickens. Smith would fill in for Alualu, who should retire this off-season. Zion would rotate in with Watt, Highsmith and Reed to keep our pass rush going while Mesidor would or could hopefully replace Wormley (FA).

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
another go... bored at work

18. (traded with Detroit, who chose Will Levis). Received Picks 18 and 48.
Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern - Could be the top LT in the draft. And we traded down to get him while getting another pick to boot.

33. JL Skinner, S, Boise State - A safety who's 6-4, 220? Hell yes. Kazee is 30 and Edmunds is a FA again. We'll bring back one of those and still need a S.

46. My top choices were DT Gervon Dexter (6-6, 312), TE Darnell Washington (6-7, 270), C Sedrick Van Pran (6-4, 310). We could use any of the three. In the end, I chose Dexter.
Gervon Dexter, DT, Florida

48. Chargers offered Picks 55 and 87. Trade accepted.

55. Could have taken him before, but he's still there after trading down, so ...
Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia. Gives us two starting caliber TEs and insurance in case Muth gets concussed more. Gentry is a FA.

77. Owen Pappoe, LB, Auburn
. Bush has played his *** off the roster. Not too excited to replace him with another smallish LB, but here we are. Pappoe is said to be a physical freak and a leader. Flip of Bush.

87. Considered Luke Wypler, but he sounds more like what we already have in Mason Cole. So...
Lukas Van Ness, OLB, Iowa - we see how much our defense centers around an above average pass rush and how it fails when TJ is out. Van Ness could rotate in and help keep TJ and Highsmith rested and ready.

112. Connor Galvin, OT, Baylor.
I move him inside at LG and let Dot walk after the '23 season.

212. Matthew Bedford, OL, Indiana. Jack of all trades, starting at every position except Center at Indiana

225. Dontay Demus, WR, Maryland.
Checks off the relevant boxes. Big, strong, fast. Maryland.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
another go at it... I'm not trading for future draft picks, keeping all my picks in this draft.

16. Porter, CB, Penn State
33. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
49. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
77. Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
99. Mazi Smith, DT, Meatchicken
112. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, LB, Washington
225. Akheem Mesidor, DT, Miami (FL)

recurring theme in my drafts is I lean more to Porter in the 1st, even if there is a higher ranked player available on this mock site. I look for a OT with our first pick in the second round, then either a C or BPA. I think Cole has done an adequate job, but I'm looking to upgrade wherever I can, except at QB and RB. My first three picks would, IMO, be excellent. Hyatt could very well make DJ expendable, even if we trade him mid-draft. Hyatt has the hands and speed to complement Pickens. Smith would fill in for Alualu, who should retire this off-season. Zion would rotate in with Watt, Highsmith and Reed to keep our pass rush going while Mesidor would or could hopefully replace Wormley (FA).
Solid draft. Would love if it played out like this.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Going to assume there's no repuS lwoB this year or even a post season, but what's interesting is that with 2 games left there's a shitload of teams at 6-9 or 7-8.
Top 10 pick is still in the realm of possibility I think, but so is a 20+ pick.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else notice the NFL Draft Mock Database simulator now has us with only one pick in the 7th and none in the 5th or 6th? We only have 6 picks now. The PFN simulator still has us with 2 picks in the 7th.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else notice the NFL Draft Mock Database simulator now has us with only one pick in the 7th and none in the 5th or 6th? We only have 6 picks now. The PFN simulator still has us with 2 picks in the 7th.
I am think the Steelers are going to trade back at some point to get more picks there are a lot of draft picks in between our 4th round and our 7th round picks