• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Teams most memorable moments

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a poll, but it's interesting to see how some of the voting is turning out. Some more recent plays beating out older classic plays, you've got the obvious ones winning, like the immaculate reception, the catch, etc. It's really funny to see the Bengals most memorable moment is the same as the 49ers. Pretty sad when your teams most memorable moment is another team beating you.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/11186494/each-nfl-team-most-memorable-play?src=mobile

Perspective is a part of history.

Voted Immaculate reception for STEELERS. Also voted bengals "the catch" just to keep their losing percentage up :)

Salute the nation

I voted for Stonio's catch. It was a SB winning catch, whereby the Immaculate Reception was a playoff win. Both GREAT plays.

Steeler's three choices are among top 10 for entire NFL; arguably top 3 for dramatic effect and importance to franchise/championships.

We are indeed fortunate.

It was a small thing, in a regular season game I believe, but because I'm old and remember stuff, back in the 70's Joe Greene once had an accidental interception, ran it back, and threw a hip fake that worked.
That has always stuck with me.

That is messed up. They only gave the Bills options for painful losses - wide right, Beebe chasing Leon Lett down in the Super Bowl loss, and the Titans music city miracle. How about the greatest comeback in playoff history which was actually a Bills victory. I couldn't care less for them as a team but that is insulting.

Last edited:
Steeler's three choices are among top 10 for entire NFL; arguably top 3 for dramatic effect and importance to franchise/championships.

We are indeed fortunate.

Very true as we have many respectable plays to ponder, some teams NOT so many.

I think you mean "were" fortunate.

glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty I look at it as current, like today. Our past shows us are future.

That is messed up. They only gave the Bills options for painful losses - wide right, Beene chasing Leon Lett down in the Super Bowl loss, and the Titans music city miracle. How about the greatest comeback in playoff history which actually a Bills victory. I couldn't care less for them as a team but that is insulting.

You hit this on the head!!!! just another way to scheme things to get the sheep to follow. Truly, that come back was awesome, & i'm not even a Bills fan.

Salute the nation

That is messed up. They only gave the Bills options for painful losses - wide right, Beebe chasing Leon Lett down in the Super Bowl loss, and the Titans music city miracle. How about the greatest comeback in playoff history which was actually a Bills victory. I couldn't care less for them as a team but that is insulting.

I hate these dumb ESPN polls as much as anyone, but the Bills comeback against the Oilers was a great half of football as a whole...not sure there is a particular moment from that game that sticks out though.

The only reason that the Immaculate Reception got the vote over Holmes' touchdown is because of how unique it was. Holmes' had the edge over Harrison's (which may be the greatest defensive play ever) only because it was the moment that won the game. Completely different response if it wasn't phrased as "most memorable" play.

I think you mean "were" fortunate.

Bills and stains only have disappointment to look back upon, especially in the memorable play dept. No SBs, downstream from Detroit, both are industrial wastelands with joke owners for past decade....

We are indeed fortunate.

It's a blessing not to have any negative plays define your team. Most teams have at least one negative play against them as part of their identity. The Immaculate Reception changed our franchise, and was the first playoff win ever in our history. HUGE play that helped negate the identity of perpetual looser into a hard driving dynasty.

Tough also that these three plays are the only ones they listed. You could have Swan's levitating catch in the SB. The reverse x pass or Fast Willie's Superbowl record run in XL. Or Franco's big game in SB9. Troy's int return to clinch the AFCC vs the Ravens. The comeback vs the Brownies with Maddox. Even the upset of the Oilers with Bubby and the 50yd kick by Gary Anderson to win that playoff game when they started terribly that season.

We could have been known as the team the lost the coin flip on Thanksgiving when we called it correctly, or the team that lost to Tebow in the playoffs, or the team that gave up the Garard 4th and 2 play in Pittsburgh. At least we're not defined by losing or negative plays.

Interesting choices. James Harrison's Touch Down for us. Any teams highlight that shows the cowboys getting beat on the play in question, The Patriots cheating to win with the snow plow for the field goal. Bret Farve and an interception, Herm Edwards return, and what his name getting his leg broken by LT.

It's a blessing not to have any negative plays define your team. Most teams have at least one negative play against them as part of their identity. The Immaculate Reception changed our franchise, and was the first playoff win ever in our history. HUGE play that helped negate the identity of perpetual looser into a hard driving dynasty.
True, we have enough good plays to outweigh Plaxico spiking a live ball.

Well OK then, what moment stands out as the most dubious moment in Steelers history? This certainly isn't it, but I will always remember Barry Foster (as a kickoff returner) treating a kickoff like it was a punt which allowed the 49ers to jump on the live ball and take possession at our 5-yard line. I think that was the first game I ever attended (I was 12 at the time).

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/22/sports/nfl-blunder-by-a-steeler-helps-49ers-go-to-6-0.html

Tough also that these three plays are the only ones they listed. You could have Swan's levitating catch in the SB. The reverse x pass or Fast Willie's Superbowl record run in XL. Or Franco's big game in SB9. Troy's int return to clinch the AFCC vs the Ravens. The comeback vs the Brownies with Maddox. Even the upset of the Oilers with Bubby and the 50yd kick by Gary Anderson to win that playoff game when they started terribly that season.

We could have been known as the team the lost the coin flip on Thanksgiving when we called it correctly, or the team that lost to Tebow in the playoffs, or the team that gave up the Garard 4th and 2 play in Pittsburgh. At least we're not defined by losing or negative plays.

I think the fumble against the Colts by Bettis could have been the bad play for us, thank God Ben made that tackle.

A play that has stuck with me is Troy's INT/TD in the AFCC against the Ravens that clinched it. After that you were still a little anxious, but you felt pretty good that it was the ballgame. That is the plays I remember.

Going back to me younger days, it would be Stallworth's catch in the SB against the Rams. Same type of thing. Swann's TD in 10 against the Cowboys. Holmes against the Cardinals.

As great as Harrison's play was, and I am not taking anything away from it, it didn't clinch anything. As a stand alone play, I think it may have been the best play in SB history.

As great as Harrison's play was, and I am not taking anything away from it, it didn't clinch anything. As a stand alone play, I think it may have been the best play in SB history.

Certainly the longest time-wise. Which is part of what made it great, that you didn't know or even believe that he'd make it all the way.

Certainly the longest time-wise. Which is part of what made it great, that you didn't know or even believe that he'd make it all the way.

Yea, when the play happened, at first there was relief. Well, they'll go into halftime up three, instead of tied or down. Then he began to work downfield. When he made it past the 50, it was, 'Holy ****, he could score!" So it was relief until the 50, then your mind could start thinking of bigger things. A lot of long plays the guy gets in the clear and goes, tou can tell he is going to score. Which makes Harrison's play all the better.

I know the guy is 36 or whatever. But I would take him back in a heart beat. That is why I could never coach. Harrison could be 83, have dementia and be in a wheelchair and I might sign him up. I would give him that kind of loyalty after a play like that.

True, we have enough good plays to outweigh Plaxico spiking a live ball.

That play still, as funny as it is now, is a SUPER bonehead play!!!

Well OK then, what moment stands out as the most dubious moment in Steelers history? This certainly isn't it, but I will always remember Barry Foster (as a kickoff returner) treating a kickoff like it was a punt which allowed the 49ers to jump on the live ball and take possession at our 5-yard line. I think that was the first game I ever attended (I was 12 at the time).

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/22/sports/nfl-blunder-by-a-steeler-helps-49ers-go-to-6-0.html

Remember it well, I was screaming " jump on it, its a live ball". Barry eventually redeemed himself with his play the next couple years.

BAD REFEREE PLAY, I know we have a few to talk about, but the one interception by troy, called incomplete, was B-A-D. I think it was against the colts?

Salute the nation

Yea, when the play happened, at first there was relief. Well, they'll go into halftime up three, instead of tied or down. Then he began to work downfield. When he made it past the 50, it was, 'Holy ****, he could score!" So it was relief until the 50, then your mind could start thinking of bigger things. A lot of long plays the guy gets in the clear and goes, tou can tell he is going to score. Which makes Harrison's play all the better.

I know the guy is 36 or whatever. But I would take him back in a heart beat. That is why I could never coach. Harrison could be 83, have dementia and be in a wheelchair and I might sign him up. I would give him that kind of loyalty after a play like that.

He'd still be stronger and a better pass rusher than Jones.

He'd still be stronger and a better pass rusher than Jones.

Sorry Wingman, I'm not so sure about this statement. There comes a time when youth out performs age. Granted Jame's experience can make up a lot of ground, but you have to be on the field to use it. I can see Harrison as a relief type role, but not a full time starter. I don't think he would make a full season. Jones has youth and another year under his belt. It may not seem like much, but it does keep adding to his ability. At the end of the year, you just have harrison a year older, but with Jones & his youth, you have a more experienced LB able to play for years to come.

Salute the nation

It's amazing the plays you remember over the years. I can still vividly remember Willie Williams shoestring tackling the Colts RB (Warren?) on 3rd and 1 in the AFCC in 95

As far as dubious goes....pick any moment from our loss to the Chargers in 94