• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Nike

Bravo. Bravo.

Missouri college drops Nike over Kaepernick ad

Some Nike fans protested the brand's move to feature Colin Kaepernick its latest ad campaign by burning their sports gear. One Missouri college responded by burning a metaphorical bridge.

College of the Ozarks announced that it is choosing "country over company" and is dropping Nike over the sportswear company's use of the former NFL player to promote the 30th anniversary of its "Just Do It" ad campaign.

"College of the Ozarks plans to remove all athletic uniforms purchased from Nike or that contain the Nike emblem. Student athletes will no longer wear the brand in response to the company's new ad campaign," the private, Christian college said in a statement Wednesday.

"College of the Ozarks has stated its views regarding patriotism, the American flag, and the national anthem," the statement said, noting that in October It "revised its contracts for competition in all sports, adding a stipulation that all participating players and coaches show respect for the American flag and national anthem."

40055742_293552194571980_7711471497187788802_n.jpg

40311234_242982086403291_4194688688545775920_n.jpg

Not quite the activist we thought he was. Just lining his pockets and creating a firestorm he's not willing to be a part of fixing. Just making it rain for himself.

Protests during national anthem of Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reid criticized by Josh Norman

He and former teammate Eric Reid started their movement two years ago, but the players’ voices have crystallized behind Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, who founded the Players Coalition. Jenkins and co-founder Anquan Boldin convinced the NFL to pledge $89 million to charities aiding African Americans last year, which could potentially end player protests.

Even though Kaepernick started the trend of not standing for the national anthem (Jenkins recently has stood in a tunnel, arms at his sides, as the NFL and Players’ Association debates the best anthem protocol), there are some who have mixed feelings on Kaepernick.

Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman criticized Kaepernick and Reid for their protest strategy, which he said lacked a plan.

“They weren’t really organized and communicating with nobody,” Norman told The Washington Post. “(Jenkins) was one of those who had a better plan than what was going on. He had got the guys and officials to work with him on so many things, and that’s what we’re going with.”

Jenkins had a falling out with Kaepernick and former 49ers safety Eric Reid, the latter of whom claimed that the quarterback had been kicked out of the Players Coalition by the Eagles safety. Jenkins denied that accusation, saying Kaepernick preferred an informal partnership with the group.

“When he took a knee, everybody was in shock and everything, but when the bullets start flying, I was trying to figure out where he was at,” Norman said. “He was ducking. When you’re in the line of fire and the guys that are over here are trying to have a conversation to move stuff forward, he didn’t want to have that conversation.”

----------------------

Nike put it's other sponsored athletes and partners in a awkward position, Tiger gets asked about CK, AB gets the questions.. I wonder if Nike ran the CK crap by it's athletes or partners first. This one move changes the brand significantly enough that some of these athletes and partners might not have entered into a relationship with Nike if they knew that such a polarizing move was on deck. In any case, they managed to drastically change their brand image for a lot of folks like me, who used to respect the brand and now root against it.

Nike put it's other sponsored athletes and partners in a awkward position, Tiger gets asked about CK, AB gets the questions.. I wonder if Nike ran the CK crap by it's athletes or partners first. This one move changes the brand significantly enough that some of these athletes and partners might not have entered into a relationship with Nike if they knew that such a polarizing move was on deck. In any case, they managed to drastically change their brand image for a lot of folks like me, who used to respect the brand and now root against it.

Oh I don’t know. Pay a person millions of dollars per year to wear your shoes, I am betting they aren’t really worried about the politics involved. It’s not like professional athletes are highly principled by and large. Money and free **** is usually enough these days.

Not quite the activist we thought he was. Just lining his pockets and creating a firestorm he's not willing to be a part of fixing. Just making it rain for himself.

Protests during national anthem of Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reid criticized by Josh Norman

He and former teammate Eric Reid started their movement two years ago, but the players’ voices have crystallized behind Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, who founded the Players Coalition. Jenkins and co-founder Anquan Boldin convinced the NFL to pledge $89 million to charities aiding African Americans last year, which could potentially end player protests.

Even though Kaepernick started the trend of not standing for the national anthem (Jenkins recently has stood in a tunnel, arms at his sides, as the NFL and Players’ Association debates the best anthem protocol), there are some who have mixed feelings on Kaepernick.

Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman criticized Kaepernick and Reid for their protest strategy, which he said lacked a plan.

“They weren’t really organized and communicating with nobody,” Norman told The Washington Post. “(Jenkins) was one of those who had a better plan than what was going on. He had got the guys and officials to work with him on so many things, and that’s what we’re going with.”

Jenkins had a falling out with Kaepernick and former 49ers safety Eric Reid, the latter of whom claimed that the quarterback had been kicked out of the Players Coalition by the Eagles safety. Jenkins denied that accusation, saying Kaepernick preferred an informal partnership with the group.

“When he took a knee, everybody was in shock and everything, but when the bullets start flying, I was trying to figure out where he was at,” Norman said. “He was ducking. When you’re in the line of fire and the guys that are over here are trying to have a conversation to move stuff forward, he didn’t want to have that conversation.”

----------------------

Why doesn't that surprise me???

Sorry, had to share....lol

41334921_10156861622461522_8932357821815586816_n.jpg

Of course you stand behind a guy that drives a false narrative about police brutality and serves as a role model for our youth basically telling them to disrespect the Flag of the USA. Of course.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Why did Colin Kaepernick decide to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TakeAKnee?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TakeAKnee</a>? Because US Army veteran and NFL player Nate Boyer reached out to Kap and suggested doing it as a form of respectful protest. <a href="https://t.co/0JhlD9GIZd">pic.twitter.com/0JhlD9GIZd</a></p>— VoteVets (@votevets) <a href="https://twitter.com/votevets/status/1037153636181143552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Why did Colin Kaepernick decide to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TakeAKnee?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TakeAKnee</a>? Because US Army veteran and NFL player Nate Boyer reached out to Kap and suggested doing it as a form of respectful protest. <a href="https://t.co/0JhlD9GIZd">pic.twitter.com/0JhlD9GIZd</a></p>— VoteVets (@votevets) <a href="https://twitter.com/votevets/status/1037153636181143552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 5, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tibs you ignorant slut.

That’s one guy. The vast majority of veterans believe doing anything other than standing and rendering honors to the colors is disrespectful and amounts to an insult. Even if the whole thing wasn’t based on a false premise this would fall under the heading of what Emerson said about actions speaking louder than words.

“ your actions are speaking so loudly that I cannot hear what you are saying. “

As far as this veteran is concerned, he can take a knee. It is his right. I don’t have to like it, agree with it or support it. I disagree with his methods, and I think a portion of his protest is misguided at best, but again, it is his right. My 2 cents.

It's his right as much as anyone has a "right" to do whatever they want. It isn't some constitutionally protected right, as the media and other idiots would have you believe. In that same vein, I can stop in the middle of a presentation to a customer and yell "**** you!". I'd get fired. Whatever consequences these kneelers might experience are dictated by their employer and society in general.

Blows my mind how triggered the right* is by a simple, peaceful, silent protest that hurts absolutely nobody.

*- formerly known as conservatives, currently known as Trumpsters

As far as this veteran is concerned, he can take a knee. It is his right. I don’t have to like it, agree with it or support it. I disagree with his methods, and I think a portion of his protest is misguided at best, but again, it is his right. My 2 cents.

This is the way I feel about it as well. It is his right to do it however the time and place in which he does it crosses the line from protest to insult and provocation.

I really doubt nike brought it up with their other athletes before.
I don't agree with Kaeperdunker nor nike. But I'm also not one to burn my **** or boycott.

I rarely buy nike in the first place.
So they can deal with whatever comes their way.

Again, this is a bullshit narrative! His kneeling had NOTHING to do with any kind of injustice. I remember it clear as day. He originally sat during the anthem because he was PISSY that he had been BENCHED for Blaine Gabbert. Again, it had NOTHING to do with any kind of social justice. Then when people got upset that he was sitting, he started taking a knee. He spun it into some kind of social justice protest to try to save face. HISTORY ******* MATTERS!!!!

I remember too.
Kap's always been a punk

Nike has hitched their wagon to Kap, a perceived social justice warrior. This sided Nike with BLM, people of color, and other splinter groups. I suppose that strategy might work since it appears that oprah, lebron etc. have made their money positioned that way. I think it will turn away as many customers as it appeals to. This act will stay with them long term. That strategy is dangerous.

I dont know about anyone else but I didnt see one nike comercial all day on the first game of the year.

I dont know about anyone else but I didnt see one nike comercial all day on the first game of the year.

Now that you mention it, I didn't either.

I saw the commercial last night during the Packers game, I think. I know I saw it during one game because I watched three games.