• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Non trolling Jacksonville Pregame thread

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So this starts a three game home-stand and really will tell a lot where we are at.

The big issue with this game (and I picked us to win this in the preseason guesses about how the season would play out) is that Lawerence has figured out how to handle blitzing this season.. he unloads it super fast.. …he faces middle of the league pressure and sacks and has the third most scrambles in the league.

His pocket time is 2 seconds mostly because the ball is out In about 1.5 on most plays.. but they don’t really push the ball down the field…

their average pass attempt travels 6.9 yards in the air… that is lower than the dinky Steelers offense…and 5th worst in the league, but they have a pretty high YAC number.. they are sixth in the league right now…and they are really relying on that…

Now the thing is the Steelers D is probably the second or third best in the league at preventing YAC… their achillies heel is actual air yards. They
have really limited the catch and run short stuff, but if you can thwart their pass rush and buy time, you can totally attack their pass defense downfield.

So basically the question is if Lawerance can hold onto the ball and attack downfield and if the oline can hold up for him.
Their run game stinks.. our run D sucks… …its a push

On the flip side the Jags have an excellent run D, and our run game blows… but they don’t have a good pass D and it’s equally poor vs air yards and YAC.. which I think can be exploited…

The Jags have a great 3 down RB in Etienne and a very good QB and passing game. Our D has struggled with both running and passing, especially in our losses, so this will be a huge test. Heck, we couldn't really stop the Rams 3rd and 4th string RB's but they didn't run it down our throats and the passes to Puca were short and he made huge plays out of them. The D will struggle unless Watt and Highsmith can come up huge again.

So this starts a three game home-stand and really will tell a lot where we are at.

The big issue with this game (and I picked us to win this in the preseason guesses about how the season would play out) is that Lawerence has figured out how to handle blitzing this season.. he unloads it super fast.. …he faces middle of the league pressure and sacks and has the third most scrambles in the league.

His pocket time is 2 seconds mostly because the ball is out In about 1.5 on most plays.. but they don’t really push the ball down the field…

their average pass attempt travels 6.9 yards in the air… that is lower than the dinky Steelers offense…and 5th worst in the league, but they have a pretty high YAC number.. they are sixth in the league right now…and they are really relying on that…

Now the thing is the Steelers D is probably the second or third best in the league at preventing YAC… their achillies heel is actual air yards. They
have really limited the catch and run short stuff, but if you can thwart their pass rush and buy time, you can totally attack their pass defense downfield.

So basically the question is if Lawerance can hold onto the ball and attack downfield and if the oline can hold up for him.
Their run game stinks.. our run D sucks… …its a push

On the flip side the Jags have an excellent run D, and our run game blows… but they don’t have a good pass D and it’s equally poor vs air yards and YAC.. which I think can be exploited…

So, we will run run run punt, a lot.

Maybe O’Canada can carry his momentum over to this game;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Salute the nation

They need to change up the defensive scheme to stop the run. Some push up the middle would be a dream.Which is exactly what the jags will focus on doing combined with the death by 1000 paper cuts passing game. If both are working, they'll take shots downfield. It would be nice if Fitzpatrick didn't have to be run support all game.

If they play way off the wideouts they'll get cut a lot.

I don't even know what the offense is going to do other than run into a wall. Their defense just like every other damn team they've faced for 4 years will be stacking the box with 8-9 guys and blanketing our wideouts. Pickett will most likely need to push the ball downfield. He needs time and will need to take advantage of an aggressive jags defense. I wish this offense had some nice screen plays setup for Warren and DJ. Those guys can go in open space. CA3 has been quiet for a while. That kid needs to be downfield in open spaces. Some slants would be perfect for him. Just get him away from the big guys.

The game will probably be a slug fest and hopefully they can hit some big plays downfield later in the game. When all else fails go deep and throw it up for George.

If the defense can get pressure on Lawrence, he will be good for at least 2 picks.

Jax is one of the more balanced teams in the NFL. Middle of the pack rushing and passing and the only area offensively they are above average would be points per game. The most important stat of all. Doug Pederson got the shaft in Philly imo and is a very underrated coach. Their defense is improved but still susceptible. Run defense is much better than pass so this game imo will largely hinge on Pickett making throws and getting us into the endzone.

My guess is a high scoring affair. 28-31 Jacksonville.

The Jags have a great 3 down RB in Etienne and a very good QB and passing game. Our D has struggled with both running and passing, especially in our losses, so this will be a huge test. Heck, we couldn't really stop the Rams 3rd and 4th string RB's but they didn't run it down our throats and the passes to Puca were short and he made huge plays out of them. The D will struggle unless Watt and Highsmith can come up huge again.
Puca is a rather unique guy…
He got yac because of physicality, not just his speed and quickness… Im not sure we see someone like him the rest of the way.

The steelers are bad about letting guys get open if the qb has time, but they tackle them pretty quickly…

They need to change up the defensive scheme to stop the run. Some push up the middle would be a dream.Which is exactly what the jags will focus on doing combined with the death by 1000 paper cuts passing game. If both are working, they'll take shots downfield. It would be nice if Fitzpatrick didn't have to be run support all game.

If they play way off the wideouts they'll get cut a lot.

I don't even know what the offense is going to do other than run into a wall. Their defense just like every other damn team they've faced for 4 years will be stacking the box with 8-9 guys and blanketing our wideouts. Pickett will most likely need to push the ball downfield. He needs time and will need to take advantage of an aggressive jags defense. I wish this offense had some nice screen plays setup for Warren and DJ. Those guys can go in open space. CA3 has been quiet for a while. That kid needs to be downfield in open spaces. Some slants would be perfect for him. Just get him away from the big guys.

The game will probably be a slug fest and hopefully they can hit some big plays downfield later in the game. When all else fails go deep and throw it up for George.

If the defense can get pressure on Lawrence, he will be good for at least 2 picks.
I am hoping Pickett is starting to turn the corner and settling in to more consistent accurate outcomes.

I think with the D capable of restricting points and Canada always willing to do his part this could very well be a low scoring game.

Regardless give me some more of that 4th quarter magic please.

Jax has always given us a tough time, starting with the very 1st time we played them (who remembers that game down in Jax when Cowher just about lost it?) We are gonna have to play pretty well to beat this team.

I am hoping Pickett is starting to turn the corner and settling in to more consistent accurate outcomes.

I think with the D capable of restricting points and Canada always willing to do his part this could very well be a low scoring game.

Regardless give me some more of that 4th quarter magic please.

Steelers 4th qtr. offense against the rams----------192 yards (close to that as memory allows)

Steelers entire game offense against the rams ---245-ish (close to that as memory allows)

I'll take that 4th quarter majic anytime all game long.

Salute the nation

Jax has always given us a tough time, starting with the very 1st time we played them (who remembers that game down in Jax when Cowher just about lost it?) We are gonna have to play pretty well to beat this team.

Was that against Tom Cophlin(spell) or Jack Delrio coaching.?

Salute the nation

Nobody should be hoping for 4th quarter magic in this game. Just like with the old eagles, the Jags DBs will look to bait throws with the lead.. they will give up lots of yards, but get a bunch of picks. Id ratger play from ahead in this…

Nobody should be hoping for 4th quarter magic in this game. Just like with the old eagles, the Jags DBs will look to bait throws with the lead.. they will give up lots of yards, but get a bunch of picks. Id ratger play from ahead in this…
So, you're saying KP should start audibilizing on their first series?

Jags play us tough even when they're terrible. This will be a tough game no matter what.

Jags play us tough even when they're terrible. This will be a tough game no matter what.
Yep , I believe they are favored. Won't be an easy game for sure. But like I have said this season are any of them easy under Canada?

Canada and Tomlin don't like to score in the first half. They like to keep it close. But if the opponent puts up 20 before halftime....good night Irene.

First thing I wanna say three game homestand after starting season two games at home.......who makes this schedule. However, when I retire if this happens I will be renting Air bnb in Pittsburgh.

The Jaguars always play well against the Steelers, but then again, so do the Raiders and west coast teams in the Pacific time zone and the Steelers won both those games. Lawrence is efficient and Etienne is feeling it right now. He's been hot the past couple of weeks finding the end zone.

Would love to see Washington doing a chip block and then releasing to the seam. I guess this sounds like nuclear science to Canada and tomlin

I remember all to well. I worked on assembly line as a lead/supervisor. One of the other leads made hundreds of copies of the front page of sports proclaiming the huge expansion team upset of Pittsburgh. All day long as I inspected my area the line rolled a long with those copies on every piece of equipment and all my employees more than happy to laugh at me.

Yep , I believe they are favored. Won't be an easy game for sure. But like I have said this season are any of them easy under Canada?
Nope. Honestly, I can’t remember the last easy game for the Steelers.