• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Offseason Thread

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Step 1, before anything else, we have to make a decision on Tomlin... or he has to make it, or whatever... he isnt a bad coach, but his perspective here is stagnant.
I think he was tge right guy in 07... but his development has been stunted because of his security here... I think him moving on benefits both sides.

Step 2, we need to reformat the entire staff. We need a culture overhaul

Step 3, decisions on the new scheme and philosophies going forward must be made

Step 4, we need to prune the roster. There are some obvious cap cuts like Robinson and trubisky, and there are guys like DJ heading into contract years, who have high value and should probably be moved

Step 5 draft... they best still be building from the lines out.

Probably step 4 comes with addressing the QB position. Hopefully step 1 comes with a quickness...

I also think Chuks gets cut and possibly Ogunjobi. He had plays here and there but he seems to be off the field more than on and he is invisible most of a game. He's been injured and rarely practices even in camp. His conditioning can't be the greatest and maybe that's why he can't play 3 downs in a row. They paid him too much. I don't know what his cap hit would be but he and really the entire DL needs an overhaul. Benton is really the only true starter I see for next year assuming Heyward retires. The DL and how they play just leaves too many gaping holes for runners to get through.

I don't think this season was a success, I'm leaning toward straight up failure. Not only did they not win a playoff game--and a big reason for it was dropping two straight home games in a week to 2-win teams--but they are entering the offseason with a huge question mark at quarterback. QB3 ended performing the best this season and Pickett regressed. It's truly a crossroads this offseason.

1. Coaching
-If Tomlin stays, 3-year extension with a new OC, DC, OL, WR, TE coaches. I would interview anyone from the Shanahan tree and any former OC that have head coach experience.
-If Tomlin leaves, I'm interviewing Harbaugh, Macdonald, Vrabel, Flores, Johnson, Slowik, Frank Smith, and there are probably a few others I'm not looking up right now.

2. Quarterback
-Path 1 is to commit to Kenny Pickett. Invest in the offensive line and wide receivers.
-Path 2 is bring in competition for Pickett. On the cheap route, let Rudolph and Pickett battle it out. There are always cheap QB options to consider.
-Path 3 is to go out and get a QB. Maybe it's Kirk Cousins, maybe you trade way up to get QB3 in the draft. I don't know who all will be available.

3. Draft
The Steelers should be in great position to add another stud CB. They could use another DL, but there aren't as many prospects for the first, IMO. I think the 2nd or 3rd is a spot to get a C. I also want another receiver and I would love someone to be in the mold of an Amon-Ra St. Brown.

I don't think this season was a success, I'm leaning toward straight up failure. Not only did they not win a playoff game--and a big reason for it was dropping two straight home games in a week to 2-win teams--but they are entering the offseason with a huge question mark at quarterback. QB3 ended performing the best this season and Pickett regressed. It's truly a crossroads this offseason.

1. Coaching
-If Tomlin stays, 3-year extension with a new OC, DC, OL, WR, TE coaches. I would interview anyone from the Shanahan tree and any former OC that have head coach experience.
-If Tomlin leaves, I'm interviewing Harbaugh, Macdonald, Vrabel, Flores, Johnson, Slowik, Frank Smith, and there are probably a few others I'm not looking up right now.

2. Quarterback
-Path 1 is to commit to Kenny Pickett. Invest in the offensive line and wide receivers.
-Path 2 is bring in competition for Pickett. On the cheap route, let Rudolph and Pickett battle it out. There are always cheap QB options to consider.
-Path 3 is to go out and get a QB. Maybe it's Kirk Cousins, maybe you trade way up to get QB3 in the draft. I don't know who all will be available.

3. Draft
The Steelers should be in great position to add another stud CB. They could use another DL, but there aren't as many prospects for the first, IMO. I think the 2nd or 3rd is a spot to get a C. I also want another receiver and I would love someone to be in the mold of an Amon-Ra St. Brown.
I would probably go with path 2 and 3. That room in addition to the coaches needs revamped.

It's simple, if Tomlin stays then it'll be the same old **** we've watched the past decade. That means he gets his guys he wants on his staff. I don't think he comes back if he doesn't have control over that, so if he's back that means he still has the same power he does now.

I thought Tomlin was the guy in 2007, but, I know people hate this, he won with a loaded team and staff from Cowher. Once those players, coaches moved on, the worse everything about this franchise has gotten. He hasn't rebuilt anything, is there one unit on this team that is better than the one he took over in 2007? That's one thing that Cowher did that gets very little recognition, he turned over the roster 2 or 3 times. Took Noll's 7-9 team and went 11-5 and by the time they made the Super Bowl 4 years later there wasn't a ton of Noll's players left, then once his guys started aging out in the last 90's he turned the roster over again for the early 2000 runs.

It's simple, if Tomlin stays then it'll be the same old **** we've watched the past decade. That means he gets his guys he wants on his staff. I don't think he comes back if he doesn't have control over that, so if he's back that means he still has the same power he does now.

I thought Tomlin was the guy in 2007, but, I know people hate this, he won with a loaded team and staff from Cowher. Once those players, coaches moved on, the worse everything about this franchise has gotten. He hasn't rebuilt anything, is there one unit on this team that is better than the one he took over in 2007? That's one thing that Cowher did that gets very little recognition, he turned over the roster 2 or 3 times. Took Noll's 7-9 team and went 11-5 and by the time they made the Super Bowl 4 years later there wasn't a ton of Noll's players left, then once his guys started aging out in the last 90's he turned the roster over again for the early 2000 runs.
The biggest knock on Cowher's resume is he couldn't win AFC Championship games. Now our playoff appearances are spot the opponent 21+ points and play catch up.

The route to Tomlin leaving is the Deuce rubbing his pennies together and saying we won't give you an extension and Mike saying then let's go our seperate ways. Mike leaving comes through Mike snd indirectly through the Deuce. He will not fire Mike. No chance.

I think Tomlin was a cultural renewal. From what I read in Cowhers book he was kinda ready. I think the teams need that renewal and badly need it now. There is no way Tomlin should have been tasked with rebuilding team post Ben. No way. And frankly they held onto Ben too long too.

I argued with my Steelers fan friend last night and my gym buddy today. If anyone wants to bet 50 bucks that if the Steelers keep Tomlin they will be right back here next year......I will give 2-1 odds. So if you are going to inevitably replace him start now and get the growing pains done sooner. I can live with the Steelers being irrelevant for 4 or 5 years if it brings them back to true championship contention.

I think Tomlin was a cultural renewal. From what I read in Cowhers book he was kinda ready. I think the teams need that renewal and badly need it now. There is no way Tomlin should have been tasked with rebuilding team post Ben. No way. And frankly they held onto Ben too long too.
Cowher put so much pressure on wanting to get that 5th ring, that once they won it, I think his urgency was gone, he was happy. As for Ben, I disagree, no one knew he was going to blow his elbow out, he had 5100 yards and 34 TD's, then threw 55 TD's post elbow, the issue there was we ignored the Oline for so long that it aged out.

If Tomlin stays and we all feel that will be the case he needs to let his ego go and bring in some coaches to make these young players better.

Signing Jaylon Johnson in FA would give us the best CB combo in football. Then we draft a LT followed by QB and DL.

Signing Jaylon Johnson in FA would give us the best CB combo in football. Then we draft a LT followed by QB and DL.
We already have our LT on the roster. We need a C and a RT. I honestly think a QB could wait. Let's build the OLine and see what we have, then we can make a plan for QB. They let Ben get killed for several years at the end. If you really want a franchise QB in here, you can't give him a **** Oline and expect him to have success! Trenches, trenches, trenches!!!

If I’m Rooney, I sit Tomlin down and ask him if he’s still interested in coaching. If he says “yes” I bring up the Pittsburgh media and fan sentiment and ask if he might be interested in coaching elsewhere. If he says “no” the conversation becomes an unfortunate one.

Cowher put so much pressure on wanting to get that 5th ring, that once they won it, I think his urgency was gone, he was happy. As for Ben, I disagree, no one knew he was going to blow his elbow out, he had 5100 yards and 34 TD's, then threw 55 TD's post elbow, the issue there was we ignored the Oline for so long that it aged out.
I would say they just were not a real contender in his last 4 years. A Russell Wilson deal wouldn't have hurt.

I will still go back to what I have been preaching in the past. We need big uglies. Our DL is terrible. Heyward is gone now or in another year. All we have is Benton and Ogunjobi who is very unreliable. They just gave him a contract but he played all year hurt and rarely practiced. Leal and Loudermilk haven't developed. Adams is a backup, at best. We still need a big NT to stop the run, get push on passing plays, and command double teams. I will continue to say that until I'm blue in the face. Teams that have one seem to do well with it. Our OL needs Jones back to LT, a new RT, and a new C. Cole has been horrible. He dribbles multiple balls back to the QB in every game. That just can't happen. You fix the lines and then work outward. Everything else becomes easier with good men in the trenches. We need a CB, LB, and WR on top of that.

QB, if we need one will be another year down the road at the earliest. If KP doesn't improve significantly this offseason and with a new O staff, they need to look to the draft again next year. I'm not going to get into it with the KP haters/whiners. They literally whined about him in his 1st year and many when he was drafted. They aren't going to change their tune no matter what he does on the field. He has his issues but countless QB's have improved after only starting for less than 2 years. Look at the guy who just kicked our butts. He sucked his 1st 2 years. Heck, we gave Harvin 3 years (and hopefully no more than that) as our punter for crying out loud. We gave Bush 4 years. KP has less than 2 years starting. They will keep him at QB1 next year. Rudolph played well and was the hot hand otherwise KP would have been back in there. They will offer Rudolph QB2 money with incentives. He may or may not take it. If he doesn't, no big deal. I like Rudolph but he, KP, and Trubisky are not franchise QB's as things stand right now. KP still has the most upside. Rudolph can be serviceable if QB1. This argument can be tabled until next offseason. If KP sucks, let's hope he sucks enough to get us a top-10 pick.

Team was not competitive, in fact they were embarrassed, coaching looks suspect, player commenting that they need more structure in the building, HC walking out of presser like a petulant child, an organization that was the best once upon a time and briefly flashed greatness again 15 years ago has been a bottom feeder for years now. Complete disarray. We are one of the worst organizations in Pro sports.

Listen truth may hurt but if you sugarcoat it don't expect changes and improvement. Another winning season coming right up!

Deciding between Pickett and Rudolph Tomlin has got quite a predicament on his hands next year.
Perhaps I would want to leave too and let someone else deal with it!

Unless someone sighs Rudolph.

I argued with my Steelers fan friend last night and my gym buddy today. If anyone wants to bet 50 bucks that if the Steelers keep Tomlin they will be right back here next year......I will give 2-1 odds. So if you are going to inevitably replace him start now and get the growing pains done sooner. I can live with the Steelers being irrelevant for 4 or 5 years if it brings them back to true championship contention.
Ben aside, they have been exceptionally irrelevant for at least a decade.

Or

Or Donahoe did,,, 😉

The only thing that is going to change the status quo is the coaching staff. If Tomlin is on the sideline without a competent OC and DC that are allowed to implement and run their system, then they're just wasting time and money on anything else.

Deciding between Pickett and Rudolph Tomlin has got quite a predicament on his hands next year.
Perhaps I would want to leave too and let someone else deal with it!
Tomlin benched Pickett for the biggest games of the year yet local reporters still seem to indicate Tomlin will keep Pickett as QB1 heading into next year.