• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Options at Center

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So here we are, just under one month away from the draft, and into the third week of free agency.

There are several presumed holes on the team, rOT, Wr2, CB, depth DT and S... but probably the most glaring one is at Center.

It seems obvious they are waiting till the draft to rectify it... but how they will is really less obvious than we think... they could do several things...

Lets list them:
(draft options first)

1. Draft a C in the first round. This is the move that Most of is ( including myself) think will happen. There are a couple high end starter types available... and more importantly the other positions of need may be easier to fill later in the draft... for instance I would love for them to get a great T like Mims, and have the position locked down for a decade on both sides.. because RT probably matters a bit more than C at the high end... but the reality is that we could get a starter level RT in the third... and I am not sure that will be true at C...

2 Draft a C with our pick in the second round. C is often addressed in the low first or high second by many teams. Gambling one of the starter quality guys will drop is a crapshoot, but possible.

3. Trading down in the first or up in the second.- if they feel that the C they want will be tgere near the top of tge second, but isnt worth the 20th pick... making a move like this is not out of the questiin

4. A later pick. We tend to dismiss the idea of getting a starter at a later round due to Kendrick Green failing so badly.. but it happens quite a bit... C isnt a premium position and gets devalued a bunch, so a good player can be had later in the draft... just not often a plug and play one... its also possible they have a sleeper pick lined up... one totally off the radar...

(Non draft options)
Its plausible that despite us all expecting a C added, they wont go that way at all. Several insiders have alluded they wont go back to back OL with 1 and 2 and OT is on the board...
so if they dont get one in the draft...

5. Sign Conner Williams. He is coming off an ACL and might not be ready to start the season.. but he is the best talent available in ufa. In this scenario, Herbig starts tge season until he is ready.

6. Trading for a C. Nobody is really available right now, but after the draft you probably see one to three vets become available.

7. Using Nick Herbig... herbig makes a ton of money and plays some C... maybe this was the plan all along..

8. Rolling with Spenser Anderson. We tend to dismiss late round picks because they dont have the pedigree of a first round guy, but especially at a position like C, guys can develop into starters... if they feel Anderson is a starter then releasing cole was not a gamble and there was never a hole we thought there was.

9.They bring back Mason Cole. Ugh.. but it can happen

10. Wait till cutdown day and add a guy tgen..

Easily the worse option... total gamble, and you have no time for tge line to gel or tge ab to get use to the C

I think they will sign a vet and draft a c in 1st to rounds. Beyond that I have no idea who

My Draft strategy has been the same in the mocks, and I don’t see a reason to really make a change now.
Round 1 - I take an OT here, BUT ONLY if all 3 top C’s are still on the board.
Round 2 - Hopefully one of the top 3 C’s are here to pick, but if 1-2 go off the board quickly, I look to trade up to be sure of getting one of them.
Round 3 - I am looking at an ILB here, or maybe DL. Worst case scenario, I get a WR.
Round 4 - Time to look at a QB, hopefully they get a developmental guy and actually hire someone who can develop him.
From here on out, BPA

There is a HUGE gap in commitment between the current D and O, this year they need to try and get to a more balanced position. O positions should be a priority in the Draft this year.

My Draft strategy has been the same in the mocks, and I don’t see a reason to really make a change now.
Round 1 - I take an OT here, BUT ONLY if all 3 top C’s are still on the board.
Round 2 - Hopefully one of the top 3 C’s are here to pick, but if 1-2 go off the board quickly, I look to trade up to be sure of getting one of them.
Round 3 - I am looking at an ILB here, or maybe DL. Worst case scenario, I get a WR.
Round 4 - Time to look at a QB, hopefully they get a developmental guy and actually hire someone who can develop him.
From here on out, BPA
To me you absolutely need a top three receiver in the first two rounds. At thus point that seems unquestionable.

To me you absolutely need a top three receiver in the first two rounds. At thus point that seems unquestionable.
The Draft is fairly deep at WR this year, there is going to be one to be had. At this point in time I believe that you build the team from the foundation up. A top WR would be great, if the line and QB situation was solid, which it is not. There will also be a few guys available after the Draft that can be brought in. I truly believe that WR1 is already filled and he will take big steps this year. The 2&3 WR will work itself out. Personally, I would be looking at OT, C, then (ILB, DL, WR, though no particular order). If things go way off the rail and I am forced to go C in round one, then the OT can wait and I move WR up to pick 2.

So here we are, just under one month away from the draft, and into the third week of free agency.

There are several presumed holes on the team, rOT, Wr2, CB, depth DT and S... but probably the most glaring one is at Center.

It seems obvious they are waiting till the draft to rectify it... but how they will is really less obvious than we think... they could do several things...

Lets list them:
(draft options first)

1. Draft a C in the first round. This is the move that Most of is ( including myself) think will happen. There are a couple high end starter types available... and more importantly the other positions of need may be easier to fill later in the draft... for instance I would love for them to get a great T like Mims, and have the position locked down for a decade on both sides.. because RT probably matters a bit more than C at the high end... but the reality is that we could get a starter level RT in the third... and I am not sure that will be true at C...

2 Draft a C with our pick in the second round. C is often addressed in the low first or high second by many teams. Gambling one of the starter quality guys will drop is a crapshoot, but possible.

3. Trading down in the first or up in the second.- if they feel that the C they want will be tgere near the top of tge second, but isnt worth the 20th pick... making a move like this is not out of the questiin

4. A later pick. We tend to dismiss the idea of getting a starter at a later round due to Kendrick Green failing so badly.. but it happens quite a bit... C isnt a premium position and gets devalued a bunch, so a good player can be had later in the draft... just not often a plug and play one... its also possible they have a sleeper pick lined up... one totally off the radar...

(Non draft options)
Its plausible that despite us all expecting a C added, they wont go that way at all. Several insiders have alluded they wont go back to back OL with 1 and 2 and OT is on the board...

5. Sign Conner Williams. He is coming off an ACL and might not be ready to start the season.. but he is the best talent available in ufa. In this scenario, Herbig starts tge season until he is ready.

6. Trading for a C. Nobody is really available right now, but after the draft you probably see one to three vets become available.

7. Using Nick Herbig... herbig makes a ton of money and plays some C... maybe this was the plan all along..

8. Rolling with Spenser Anderson. We tend to dismiss late round picks because they dont have the pedigree of a first round guy, but especially at a position like C, guys can develop into starters... if they feel Anderson is a starter then releasing cole was not a gamble and there was never a hole we thought there was.

Easily the worse option... total gamble, and you have no time for tge line to gel or tge ab to get use to the C

What they’re saying​

James Daniels/C/Iowa: When there’s a conversation on future NFL centers from the Big Ten, the names usually mentioned are Michigan’s Mason Cole and Billy Price of Ohio State. Iowa’s James Daniels, the name often left out, is not far behind and should be included in the narrative. Daniels was dominant during the Hawkeyes’ victory over highly rated Ohio State and on several occasions knocked several of their talented defensive tackles off the line and back to the second level. He’s a well-built lineman with the athleticism and agility to play in a zone-blocking scheme. We stamped Daniels as a third-round prospect entering the season but he has the skill and potential to move further north on draft boards.
You forgot scenario #11. 🙂🙂👍
They’ve had a plan all along….this whole time!
Cheers

The feeling that seems to be permeating is that Wr and RT is so deep, they could get a guy in the third or fourth who would be a second most years.. so they might attempt to address positions tgat are shallower first, then hit those, but who knows..
those beat guys and insiders are perpetually wrong

Lets list them:
(draft options first)

(Non draft options)

Nice break out post madinsomniac, !!!

I’m not for waiting, we have screwed the pooch to many Tim es now to wait. Creed Humphrey VS Green, ring a bell?

I think our center happens in the 1st or 2nd rounds. I just hope it’s a legitimate starter up grade.

Salute the nation

Can they go C in one if it isn't BPA? They should then either trade down in 1 or up in 2 to maximize value. Conner probably won't be available until he feels his rehab is complete. They can trade for a C still an option.

I really don't want them to go outside of the BPA of need. (their usual approach)

WR is a need. If that is the clear BPA they shouldn't hesitate.

Saying this it wouldn't shock me if they stand pat the BPA is Mims. If it wasn't due to injury the guy is probably top ten.

Last edited:

Lets list them:
(draft options first)

(Non draft options)

Using Herbig has been mentioned a couple times in the PPG.

Why does no one ever mention Daniels?
Love me some CDB! the South is gonna do it again!!! Devel went down to GA. ...... and of course

you just go ahead and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and I think your gonna finally understand.....

For however accurate the mocks are, most have the first centers going in the early second round. Washington and Carolina both have two early second round picks if the Steelers are looking for potential trade down partners.

I believe they'll stick to the best player on their board at the OT in the first round. Probably WR in round two unless (bet hedging time) one of the top three centers falls and is there at pick 51. If that happens, I think they'll try to move both third round picks to move up into the end of the second round or top of 3rd to grab a wr like Pearsall, Corley, Walker, Wilson.

So I read somewhere, at some point, that a lot of teams cut centers or otherwise have a need there. That was very early in FA if not before it. Does anyone have a good feel for how many and what teams we are likely competing with to fill the spot?

So I read somewhere, at some point, that a lot of teams cut centers or otherwise have a need there. That was very early in FA if not before it. Does anyone have a good feel for how many and what teams we are likely competing with to fill the spot?
I've seen the Dolphins and Bucs mentioned a lot with a need at center and the Steelers draft ahead of both of them.

Plenty of teams in competition for a center but they're all in our predicament, they have other needs. Centers always fall, Barton may go in the first because of his ability to play guard and tackle. He's the only guy I'd consider in round one and that's if the top five to six tackles are gone

Lets list them:
(draft options first)

(Non draft options)

I thought about these scenarios over the weekend as well.

IMO, OT and C are the biggest needs. Knowing what we know - OT holds a higher value over C - so...after much thought and consideration I believe the highest value pick would be to take an OT (there are 4 blue-chippers: Guyton (OK), Mims (GA), Latham (Bama), and Suamataia (BYU). IF none of these guys have been selected by the time we are up at 1.20 - I think the pick is OT.

If, by chance all OTs are gone - then I think the focus will shift to C. We all know the names - Power-Johnson is the frontrunner. But, if he's gone there are other options that could be targeted later in the draft all the way down to Tanor Bortolini (Wisconson), presumably, a late Day 2 early Day 3 pick.

So, there you have it - Berm's analysis of the situation. I prefer to build my OL from inside out but we have some pieces in place that allow us to invert that idea...

Disagree - AB was a sixth rounder, who is probably the best WR in the history of the team. I'm confident they can find hidden gems at WR. Now---if there's a gift horse sitting there at in the second round, i.e. Keon Coleman. Jump on it!!!

I thought about these scenarios over the weekend as well.

IMO, OT and C are the biggest needs. Knowing what we know - OT holds a higher value over C - so...after much thought and consideration I believe the highest value pick would be to take an OT (there are 4 blue-chippers: Guyton (OK), Mims (GA), Latham (Bama), and Suamataia (BYU). IF none of these guys have been selected by the time we are up at 1.20 - I think the pick is OT.

If, by chance all OTs are gone - then I think the focus will shift to C. We all know the names - Power-Johnson is the frontrunner. But, if he's gone there are other options that could be targeted later in the draft all the way down to Tanor Bortolini (Wisconsin), presumably, a late Day 2 early Day 3 pick.

So, there you have it - Berm's analysis of the situation. I prefer to build my OL from inside out but we have some pieces in place that allow us to invert that idea...
If you mention anything as the biggest need you have to include WR IMO.

I know fans are enamored with building up the O-line and rightfully so. But the team has no second or third WR option. Both which usually get more playing time than a backup T. That is a big need as of right now...