• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Our Oline needs to hold more

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So I ve been watching alot of non steelers football again this year… and it seems a bunch of teams are holding a ton… like way more than normal… so I looked up holding penalties, and all these really good offensive lines also are holding a ton… teams like Cleveland, Baltimore, KC and Miami are all in double digit Offensive holding calls…

The refs simply don’t call a lot.. and smart teams are pushing the envelope with it because of that…

We have a grand total of 1 this year… which is a lot less than the number of kill shots that we have let on the qb… or number of times the rb gets whacked in the backfield

So I ve been watching alot of non steelers football again this year… and it seems a bunch of teams are holding a ton… like way more than normal… so I looked up holding penalties, and all these really good offensive lines also are holding a ton… teams like Cleveland, Baltimore, KC and Miami are all in double digit Offensive holding calls…

The refs simply don’t call a lot.. and smart teams are pushing the envelope with it because of that…

We have a grand total of 1 this year… which is a lot less than the number of kill shots that we have let on the qb… or number of times the rb gets whacked in the backfield
Ahhh, but the league’s “Steelers Rules” means we would be the one team they penalized more often than not.

Ahhh, but the league’s “Steelers Rules” means we would be the one team they penalized more often than not.
Sadly, you're correct. I didn't watch the KC game, but somebody made a comment here that Patty had at least 5 seconds to find his man. I don't know how this is possible without a slight, or outright hold.

Yeah, no doubt. I watch our guys (especially Watt) basically get held every play and nothing. I guarantee you if our guys did the same flags would be flying everywhere. They would need to order extra flags for the game.

Yeah, no doubt. I watch our guys (especially Watt) basically get held every play and nothing. I guarantee you if our guys did the same flags would be flying everywhere. They would need to order extra flags for the game.

I saw a metric ton of plays where the OL had a hand grabbing the front of a guy from behind… that used to be a 100% call every time, and now theymight call one a game..

I saw a metric ton of plays where the OL had a hand grabbing the front of a guy from behind… that used to be a 100% call every time, and now theymight call one a game..

Right? And now you can have a picture-perfect sack (Steelers) get a flag and a picture-perfect roughing penalty (Jags) and no flag. There are lots of better examples, but that is one of the best comparison of opposite calls in the same game.

Don't even get me started on the mystery "covering the center/ball) on Boswell's kick in the Jags game. Never saw it called. And when it was finally called it was, 100%, the wrong call. If anything, the Jags were offsides.

They call them the way " they" see them. They sure do have to check with headquarters a lot these days.

There's definitely something to this "holding", or "being good at holding" thing. I wish the Steelers would get better at it.

No one was better at holding than the late 90s broncos. other than maybe the entire brady era pats*

Our special teams should try trick plays.
He never signaled for a fair catch.

Last edited:
Our offense should practice flopping to draw penalties. Defense too for that matter.

American-Football-Injury.gif

Last edited:
Risky proposition but given the number of more obvious and ridiculous roughing the passer penalties it makes sense that the officials would also be looking the other way on holding calls.