• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Our Young O-line

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
After watching some of the game again, it was apparent that once they switched Jones to LT and brought Fautnu in (after Fautanu settled down) the line started to cook. Frazier gets off the ball with authority and purpose looking to kick someone’s ***. He can move some bodies around. Nate Herbig, even though he miscued the snaps, looked like a road grater too, you just can’t fumble that exchange. Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook are good. I think Anderson is the replacement for Daniels. I like this young line. By midseason, they can be one of the best in the league.

After watching some of the game again, it was apparent that once they switched Jones to LT and brought Fautnu in (after Fautanu settled down) the line started to cook. Frazier gets off the ball with authority and purpose looking to kick someone’s ***. He can move some bodies around. Nate Herbig, even though he miscued the snaps, looked like a road grater too, you just can’t fumble that exchange. Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook are good. I think Anderson is the replacement for Daniels. I like this young line. By midseason, they can be one of the best in the league.
Expect a slow start, what else in Pgh?

It wouod be nice if their season was properly spaced. I'd always prefer to live with growing pains with high celing players till you get some issues worked out but there us not much room for error in terms of losing games you need to win in the first third.

This team is young almost everywhere, expecting them to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders is unrealistic. They are in rebuild mode, and NOT a serious contender, this year. They are likely to be a 7-10 to 10-7 team, with an outside chance of getting an opportunity to lose another 1st round playoff game.

My hope for this year is to solidify the OL for the future, re-sign Muth and Pickens, get Wilson worked up to WR2. Combine that with establishment of young guys on D, and they could be a QB away from respectability.

I actually liked what I saw more from Allen than Fields last night, though the competition they played against made that more likely. I still think they should work Plumlee into a “Slash” type role. Seeing him returning kicks leads me to believe they are trying to find a reason to keep him.

It wouod be nice if their season was properly spaced. I'd always prefer to live with growing pains with high celing players till you get some issues worked out but there us not much room for error in terms of losing games you need to win in the first third.
I don‘t think they are contending this year, I’ll be happy if they get the young players experience for next year. Who knows, maybe they can make a late season run. I think they lose games early whether they play the young guys or not, so you might as well play them.

I look forward to they young guys gelling and then a 2TE set with Washington and Muth. Maybe even slide Muth outside and bring in Moore as a TE opposite of Washington. This would give then 2 OT‘s on each side, as well as 2WR’s and Harris. The WR’s shouldn’t draw doubles, as then the OL and Harris/Warren & Fields destroy you inside.

Last edited:
But you do realize they don't give a **** whether they think they will contend or not. Herbig might get replaced if he keeps ****** up. But especially with Fautanu getting beat and MCL sprain they are not living with those growing pains. Moore starts left. Jones Right. You don't need crystal balls to see that one. It's Mike Tomlin.

This schedule, you are absolutely right in NEED for early wins.

I think those growing pains are there regardless, thus the more need for the rookies top start sooner (day one).

Salute the nation

I don't see it, but a lot of analysts have us going 4-0 to start the year: @ATL, @Broncos, LAC and @ Colts. I'd be pleasantly surprised with a 4-0 start.

The one play he manhandled the guy and threw that arse to the ground . Yeah this guy need to be first team reps moving forward.
I’ve said this before on here Slash. Kendrick Green drafted in the 3rd round had 33 starts in College. 29 of those starts at guard.
4 of those starts over 3 years at C. And only because the starting C got injured. Hey….lets let him start all 15 games at C in his rookie season as a C for the Pittsburgh ******* Steelers.
While everyone and their Dog were screaming at Green all season,I was silently screaming at Tomlin For putting him in this position. Green should have sued Tomlin for Fraud.

Zack Frazier. Has started 47 career games at West Virginia. With 37 straight starts at Center. With enough accolades to write a book.

If CMT doesn't start Frazier from Day one after what he did to Green it will be total incompetence. I didn’t want to make this about Tomlin but this makes me see red. To me in the last couple years there were two truly fireable situations for Coach. One was the Green handling and the other was retaining Canada after the first season After it was clearly obvious that he was in over his head.

I’ve said this before on here Slash. Kendrick Green drafted in the 3rd round had 33 starts in College. 29 of those starts at guard.
4 of those starts over 3 years at C. And only because the starting C got injured. Hey….lets let him start all 15 games at C in his rookie season as a C for the Pittsburgh ******* Steelers.
While everyone and their Dog were screaming at Green all season,I was silently screaming at Tomlin For putting him in this position. Green should have sued Tomlin for Fraud.

Zack Frazier. Has started 47 career games at West Virginia. With 37 straight starts at Center. With enough accolades to write a book.

If CMT doesn't start Frazier from Day one after what he did to Green it will be total incompetence. I didn’t want to make this about Tomlin but this makes me see red. To me in the last couple years there were two truly fireable situations for Coach. One was the Green handling and the other was retaining Canada after the first season After it was clearly obvious that he was in over his head.
Putta boom, putta boom boom, gotcha gettit right as schitchkit boom bow. Kerpow.

After those muffed snaps I would be giving Frazier every opportunity to start over Herbig.

I am not 100% sure the best path. the Rookies are used to playing what 9-12 games a season? it would almost be better to let them start on the sidelines and then wean them into the starting line up.
One thing that sucks about that would be we do not really have a starting center other than 54.

I am not 100% sure the best path. the Rookies are used to playing what 9-12 games a season? it would almost be better to let them start on the sidelines and then wean them into the starting line up.
One thing that sucks about that would be we do not really have a starting center other than 54.
I hear what you’re saying Blitz,but by his reasoning,he started Green. I’d think he should start Frazier. I’m one of the ones that don’t think we will even come close to a SB push. So playing the OLine together as many games as possible is very important to me for the future. I have no problem with them faltering as they gain experience. And I hope we all have patience. Wilson and Fields get sacked a ton of times. And certainly not all on the O Line.

I hear what you’re saying Blitz,but by his reasoning,he started Green. I’d think he should start Frazier. I’m one of the ones that don’t think we will even come close to a SB push. So playing the OLine together as many games as possible is very important to me for the future. I have no problem with them faltering as they gain experience. And I hope we all have patience. Wilson and Fields get sacked a ton of times. And certainly not all on the O Line.
Reason number 805 on why I am glad I have nothing to do with how the Steelers day to day operation

I was talking about this earlier on twitter. You have a guy raw at the position that had no business being force fed the start that ultimately failed at C. Then you have a guy sitting behind a guy that isn’t a true C, that did actually play C in college and was one of the best at that position. Gave up no pressures in his first preseason start. Just to this nature he would get my first team reps.

I will expand this seeing that the Oline looks mismanaged.

You trade for a veteran C. Clowns just did, Steelers need to follow suit. If not then yeah you force feed Frazier moving forward.

You trade Moore for a RT veteran. Lefts are more in demand so this should be doable. You move Broderick to LT permanently. Then let the RT start until Troy is ready.

Last edited:
I was talking about this earlier on twitter. You have a guy raw at the position that had no business being force fed the start that ultimately failed at C. Then you have a guy sitting behind a guy that isn’t a true C, that did actually play C in college and was one of the best at that position. Gave up no pressures in his first season start. Just to this nature he would get my first team reps.

I will expand this seeing that the Oline looks mismanaged.

You trade for a veteran C. Clowns just did, Steelers need to follow suit. If not then yeah you force feed Frazier moving forward.

You trade Moore for a RT veteran. Lefts are more in demand so this should be doable. You move Broderick to LT permanently. Then let the RT start until Troy is ready.
i get your reasoning. But for me I don’t trade for a C. I put Frazier in. I keep Herbig as backup,with him practicing snaps overtime. Hopefully Getting coached Up. I think Herbig is a bit of a mauler and could be a valuable backup. We will see what type of cuts are coming up For RT.

Agreed. I rewatched the game and McCormick was an excellent pick!!!

Last edited:
i get your reasoning. But for me I don’t trade for a C. I put Frazier in. I keep Herbig as backup,with him practicing snaps overtime. Hopefully Getting coached Up. I think Herbig is a bit of a mauler and could be a valuable backup. We will see what type of cuts are coming up For RT.
Say Troy goes down, then you are stuck starting a G at C. Just think their approach to this is short sided somewhat

With a little luck, maybe they'll pick up an experienced center off waivers who is at the tail end of their career to help spell Frazier. I'm a huge fan but I don't see him lasting all year without getting dinged up/worn down.
4 times state wrestling champion. 159-2 record. Center in the NFL will be child’s play for what he’s used to. 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Say Troy goes down, then you are stuck starting a G at C. Just think their approach to this is short sided somewhat
I’m guessing you meant Zack,not Troy. Mike has no problem starting a G,at C see no reason that he would not want one as a backup. Obviously it depends if Herbig show’s positive progress. And it also depends on our final roster numbers. If we need to carry an extra at another position. Not short-sighted whatsoever. Seems Herbig first preseason game with his first start and 2 snaps has doomed his career for life. I seem to remember Maurkice sailing them over Big Ben’s head and then making him play shortstop.

I’m guessing you meant Zack,not Troy. Mike has no problem starting a G,at C see no reason that he would not want one as a backup. Obviously it depends if Herbig show’s positive progress. And it also depends on our final roster numbers. If we need to carry an extra at another position. Not short-sighted whatsoever. Seems Herbig first preseason game with his first start and 2 snaps has doomed his career for life. I seem to remember Maurkice sailing them over Big Ben’s head and then making him play shortstop.
What did Herbig do last year to garnish a vote of confidence? Yes I meant Frazier oops.😉

I am not judging Herb on one preseason game but an overall body of work. He isn’t new to the team. Pouncey was done @ that point of his career. So at least he had an excuse for poor play.