• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Peter King on Tomlin

Frosty

Reaction score
From his column today......
Not a Tomlin fan.
From Ed Borkowski: “As a 50-plus year Steeler fan I wish you media guys would stop exalting Mike Tomlin. It’s like a parent bragging about a child never failing elementary and secondary school with a C average. He has no coaching tree, can’t win a challenge, plays down to the competition, waits three years to replace a useless offensive coordinator, wastes more talent than any head coach ever. Has had no playoff success except with Bill Cowher’s team. All I want is to replace my dinosaur head coach with an aggressive younger head coach who has some creativity.”

Ed, I was in Pittsburgh Thursday for the Steelers’ loss to New England, and you’re certainly not alone. Listening to talk radio a bit on my trip and feeling the fans there Thursday—with a second straight home loss to a bad team—I wonder if owner Art Rooney might be thinking of changing coaches. But I’m shocked, overall, at the lack of respect for a coach who has averaged 10.9 wins per year in 17 seasons. A “C average”? That’s insane. If Tomlin hits the open market, you’ll see how many owners in the NFL would be chasing him. Having said that, after seven years without a playoff win, and with the struggles now, and with the loafing you see on multiple plays from would-be star receivers, I do think it’s a legit question about whether he’s reached his expiration date with this franchise. But I’ll tell you why—if Tomlin would be on board with hiring an aggressive and cutting-edge offensive coordinator this off-season—I think he should stay.

One: He has not lost the team. The players still respect him, though he’s got to get more consistent effort from Diontae Johnson and George Pickens.

Two: It’s hard to win in the NFL. That sounds elementary, but it’s odd to me that so few people respect how hard it is to keep a team in contention every single season, and the Steelers have been first or second in the division in 13 of his 16 full seasons. Bill Belichick has eight losing seasons in 29 years of head coaching. Tomlin has zero in 16 seasons, with this one still in the balance.

Something else in the Tomlin column:

Tomlin post-Ben Roethlisberger: 16-14, .533.

Matt LaFleur post-Aaron Rodgers: 6-6, .500

Belichick post-Tom Brady: 28-35, .444

Arthur Smith post-Matt Ryan: 13-17, .433.

Joe Judge/Brian Daboll post-Eli Manning: 24-39-1, .383.

No one cares about the history, which I get. Do people care about free agents who come to Pittsburgh, in small or large part, because they want to play for Tomlin? Patrick Peterson did. I do think Tomlin’s got to have a plan for the offense that isn’t just cosmetic, and for trying to save Kenny Pickett. If he does, I’d vote for a contract extension for Tomlin. That’s important, in my mind. If he doesn’t, if he just wants to shuffle the current offensive staff without choosing an overhaul, then it might be time to move on.

who cares, zero post season success!
Funny he brings up the records post those QB's, how about listing all the QB's that have a higher rating than Pickett, Tomlins current QB if Peter King wants to talk QB's?

King is typical of the main stream media that have no clue.
Comparing Tomlin’s career with Belicheck is absurd. One has won six SBs while the other has one to his name.
And who cares that other teams will be lining up to hire him if he’s let go here. That is strictly irrelevant as we will only be focused on our new coach.
If he would be in that high of demand then Rooney needs to explore moving him in a trade.
King refuses to talk about the numerous collapses over several seasons or constantly blowing games to teams with bad records,
Tomlin built this team, hired these coaches and coordinators now he’s stuck with this mess and frankly I don’t think he has a clue how to fix things.
King needs to tell the entire story and report on it accurately, truthfully, and objectively otherwise it’s just a hodgepodge of nothingness.

Two: It’s hard to win in the NFL. That sounds elementary, but it’s odd to me that so few people respect how hard it is to keep a team in contention every single season, and the Steelers have been first or second in the division in 13 of his 16 full seasons. Bill Belichick has eight losing seasons in 29 years of head coaching. Tomlin has zero in 16 seasons, with this one still in the balance.

I can appreciate this. HE win superbowls and is a contender... I can take a losing rebuild... I cant get behind 9-8 and no playoffs... Screw you peter king.

Comparing Tomlin’s career with Belicheck is absurd. One has won six SBs while the other has one to his name.
And who cares that other teams will be lining up to hire him if he’s let go here. That is strictly irrelevant as we will only be focused on our new coach.
If he would be in that high of demand then Rooney needs to explore moving him in a trade.

King refuses to talk about the numerous collapses over several seasons or constantly blowing games to teams with bad records,
Tomlin built this team, hired these coaches and coordinators now he’s stuck with this mess and frankly I don’t think he has a clue how to fix things.
King needs to tell the entire story and report on it accurately, truthfully, and objectively otherwise it’s just a hodgepodge of nothingness.
They make it sound like we should be shaking in the corner with fear at the thought of other teams snatching Shades up.

Not me, I hope MT does well elsewhere and we finally get out of this perennial rut, even if it takes a couple of years.

I agree with Frosty. IF he is willing to go outside his comfort zone rebuilding the offensive coaching staff this offseason, I am willing to give him a chance. I think Kenny deserves a chance as well with a new system and OC. His choices on offense will determine my outlook on him past next season.

I can appreciate this. HE win superbowls and is a contender... I can take a losing rebuild... I cant get behind 9-8 and no playoffs... Screw you peter king.
That’s the thing. Somehow there’s a disconnect because you would think a coach who never had a losing season in 16 years would have more than three playoff wins in the last 13 years.

That’s the thing. Somehow there’s a disconnect because you would think a coach who never had a losing season in 16 years would have more than three playoff wins in the last 13 years.
The very fact he hasn’t had a losing season may contribute to not winning more playoff games. He never got the better picks to try and reload. Couple that with the camp hit he dealt with due to Ben and our depth sucked even if we had some good stars. He might be better off had he lost some more games a few years.

If there's value in Tomlin then I feel at the very least Khan should look into trading him. Lets REALLY see what teams think about him. If there's multiple first round pick offers then we have a decision to make. Ride out the mediocrity in hopes he can right the ship. Or take the draft picks and Khan can hire his own coach and coaching staff. Obviously, Art has to sign off on it but after firing Canada I feel he would at least be open to the conversation. Because if we don't trade him or fire him we then have to extend him.

Yeah I started laughing when I saw the bravado on the non losing seasons at zero vs Belichick. Um he went to what 9 SUPERBOWLS and won SIX of them.

If there's value in Tomlin then I feel at the very least Khan should look into trading him. Lets REALLY see what teams think about him. If there's multiple first round pick offers then we have a decision to make. Ride out the mediocrity in hopes he can right the ship. Or take the draft picks and Khan can hire his own coach and coaching staff. Obviously, Art has to sign off on it but after firing Canada I feel he would at least be open to the conversation. Because if we don't trade him or fire him we then have to extend him.
Why do we have to extend him? I see no reason whatsoever to “have to”. I am a supporter of his but I am also willing to hold his feet to the fire and make him play for his dinner. If he has the fire to want to stay he can coach for his next contract. Extra motivation.

Why do we have to extend him? I see no reason whatsoever to “have to”. I am a supporter of his but I am also willing to hold his feet to the fire and make him play for his dinner. If he has the fire to want to stay he can coach for his next contract. Extra motivation.
Lame duck coach and then the flip side if we don't extend him and he has a super bowl winning season he could just hit the open market and leave us high and dry. If he was a coordinator I could see us making him ride out his contract but he is the head coach so they likely show him more respect than that.

I honestly don't think he knows how. And it could probably be cured by allowing outside, smart people in the building but Shades is too stubborn. Successful CEO's, Presidents, whoever it may be surround themselves with talented, smart people.

I agree with Frosty. IF he is willing to go outside his comfort zone rebuilding the offensive coaching staff this offseason, I am willing to give him a chance. I think Kenny deserves a chance as well with a new system and OC. His choices on offense will determine my outlook on him past next season.

To be clear, those are King's words. I just pasted the story.

here are lies, damned lies and statistics. The Tomlin statistics fall into this category.
King is a kiss-@ss to the NFL, period. That makes him a kiss-@ss to the Steelers, automatically. Do you think you get to his position by being 100% truthful and honest in his "reportings?" Pullllleeeeezzeee. He is a corporate "yes man" ready to spew their official rhetoric at the drop of a hat. You want evidence? OK, how about when the Steelers were trying to trade Jason Gildon when he was just a shadow of his former self? (It's where he got the name "Gildong," in case you forgot/never knew.)

At the time, in 2003, Gildon was used up, nothing left in the tank and most everyone knew it. But Pgh wanted to try to trade his shadow and get something for nothing; can't blame them for trying - like they did with Claypool. So what did "Mr. NFL reporter" have to say about Gildon at that time? That he was still an awesome pass rusher and heavily sought. I mean, here is King, a supposed NFL insider, claiming Gildon was this highly sought after killer edge rusher. King was merely spewing what the Steelers wanted, truth be damned. (Gildon went on the play for the Jags for one "nothing" season, recording a total of 3 sacks. Yea, thanks for the keen insight, King.)

King is nothing but a peddler of scam. A pettifogger. A shyster. His words are irrelevant.

To be clear, those are King's words. I just pasted the story.
Thought the last paragraph was yours. My bad. Still mostly agree with giving him a chance next year. We need some change but unless he walks away he doesn't deserve to be fired during a contract.

You’ve always been in Mike’s corner,you’re loyal,we all have our opinions. I can respect that.
My only problem with what you say is “ I am willing to give him a chance”.

He’s been here for how many years? He’s had his chance. He hired his OC. He’s already done that. More than once.

If he would have let him go after one year,seeing the obvious. It would never workout. Move on. I could have maybe forgiven him. But to let it go like it did for 3 seasons is truly unforgivable. After the first year,all I heard was Canada this,Canada that. I didn’t even blame him. Mike hired him,Mike let it continue.

Now you want to let him do it again. And then the excuses begin again. I can hear them all already.

Of course Mike should have some input on our next OC. But the hiring should be up to our GM and his process. With no prejudice. Mike had his kick of the can. He failed.

Last edited: