• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickens

I guess the short term good news is he will probably go off Sunday, that’s what happened the last time his name was hammered in the media all week for stuff like this.

Long term it doesn’t look good unless as Steeler Pride said someone grows a pair and gets him in line

And….now there’s this

I can’t believe this is normal behavior for an nfl player or for an nfl team to allow it.

A culture/pattern of coddling talented but diva players is the responsibility of two men at the end of the day Rooney and Tomlin. Najee has issues of his own but he’s talked about this issue on the team numerous times too.

Cue the resident Tomlin apologists and old heads here calling me a “hater” for putting this on the Tomlin in 3, 2,….
Najee has issues? That’s the first I’ve heard of that.

As I’ve said several times…
14 is crazier than a bed bug!
However..
Rooney needs to sell and transfer Tull the majority ..Tull is extremely wealthy and a great entrepreneur..
It Won't happen because Art the deuce has a son in the wings from what I understand ..
I also am aware that he is a minor owner of the Yankees .. so I don’t know if the NFL would approve that?

If this thread is still about GP, I say the same thing I said since mid season last year. Trade him for as much as you can get before he is paid.
If he is this crazy with little money, he could go full blown AB crazy after getting paid

Najee has issues? That’s the first I’ve heard of that.
By issues I mean his play hasn’t lived up to his draft pick and I’m don’t think he has the stature to be calling people out when his performance leaves a lot to be desired overall, but the offense is so devoid of leadership and star power I guess someone has to try to lead.

I would like to see tape of other teams WRs to see if they half-*** routes as well. It doesn't make it right, but I would bet it's more common than most think. I think Pickens could go either way. I don't think he will reach AB crazy, but he could become a real cancer. He could also flip a switch and become a leader. I have not seen him pout when his teammates do well like in the past so I guess there is some hope.

**** the apologists, blame goes to who is to blame.

#1 is George Pickens himself. He should own up to being a man (I know it takes longer for some to mature), acknowledge his life's goals and reach out to achieve them. Brutally honest with himself. If football isn't in the cards, he should move on with his life's work. Money is a big factor in all this as well.

#2 is Mike Tomlin in handling this (remember we only have an outsider's view). We all see needing more disciplined structure, but there is a point of where you loose the project person. Also Coach Tomlin for not vehemently addressing a second top WR, the sort of putting all the eggs in one basket in the George Picken syndrone. This is a very good example of RE-action and NOT PRO-action, something all to familiar with this coaching regime.

#3 Kahn & Wiedl both had hands in clearing Picket to draft even with the BIG red flags surrounding him.

Salute the nation
An observation here. In post #2 you blame CMT for our 2nd WR situation. Kahn & Wiedl get all this credit for bringing players in and good draft choices. They should also assume the blame for not making a move on this. They are in charge of bringing players in or out. Of course the Coach has a big influence. I’ve always believed that a GM is supposed to hold more power than a coach on player personal brought in, and also should have the power to terminate any coach on the field. There were definitely mistakes made on not getting a WR signed. Especially since we had the cap room.

Now,admittedly,I was against spending high draft choices in a trade for the 49’s dude. No way would I have been willing to give a first or second. Simply because I don’t believe our QB of the future is on our roster. I don’t even think we have the scheme or QB talent to use a true #1 to their full potential. We don’t have one QB signed for next year.It’s No time to be trading draft assets. This holds true for Devontae Adams. No way should we give up any draft choices for a 32 year old on the down swing of his career. We’ve got a tough stretch of football coming up. I get the feeling our talking about QB’s in Steeler town has been mild compared to what’s about to come. No confidence in a true QB #1 or WR #1 or 2 sucks.

What does that have to do with Picken's being the best Skill guy on the team?
There is a QB controversy in Pittsburgh, we still have no idea who the QB will be in the future.
Under Arthur Smith the supposed savior the run game is worse than the Matt Canada run game.
Broderick Jones has not lived up to his draft capitol. The only time you hear his name is when the flags come out.
Frazier looks great outside of a few very costly qb exchanges
We have zero besides Pickens at WR

There is a QB controversy in Pittsburgh, we still have no idea who the QB will be in the future.
Under Arthur Smith the supposed savior the run game is worse than the Matt Canada run game.
Broderick Jones has not lived up to his draft capitol. The only time you hear his name is when the flags come out.
Are you replying to my post?

An observation here. In post #2 you blame CMT for our 2nd WR situation. Kahn & Wiedl get all this credit for bringing players in and good draft choices. They should also assume the blame for not making a move on this. They are in charge of bringing players in or out. Of course the Coach has a big influence. I’ve always believed that a GM is supposed to hold more power than a coach on player personal brought in, and also should have the power to terminate any coach on the field. There were definitely mistakes made on not getting a WR signed. Especially since we had the cap room.

Now,admittedly,I was against spending high draft choices in a trade for the 49’s dude. No way would I have been willing to give a first or second. Simply because I don’t believe our QB of the future is on our roster. I don’t even think we have the scheme or QB talent to use a true #1 to their full potential. We don’t have one QB signed for next year.It’s No time to be trading draft assets. This holds true for Devontae Adams. No way should we give up any draft choices for a 32 year old on the down swing of his career. We’ve got a tough stretch of football coming up. I get the feeling our talking about QB’s in Steeler town has been mild compared to what’s about to come. No confidence in a true QB #1 or WR #1 or 2 sucks.
[/QUO

I hear what you are saying, but was also trying to not get my post to long. Kahn & Wiedl came in #3. Fully agree on the bringing players in and HC role. I can assure you (allegedly ) that had Coach Tomlin wanted to make the desperate play, a #2WR would have been brought in.

DK Sports Dailey Shot the other day talked about there being #2s available that aren’t named Ayuk or Adam’s. We have cap space and can bring in a decent#2 WR threat that would help a lot AND he would be better than anyone else in the WR room.

Everybody after Pickens doesn’t register for a legitimate #3, George is in that #2 range (not going by potential). Soon to be doghouse if his shenanigans don’t clear up.

Salute the nation

Yes Drink,if Mike insisted on one person I’m sure it would have went that way. I still think the GM should have final say.
In the off-season I was saying we don’t even know if we have a true #1 WR. George hasn’t done much to prove that wrong.
All that talent. 😔

tried to like you're post, don't know what happened

BizZarO World, sometimes it just reaches out and gets yaz, and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.

Salute the nation

As I’ve said several times…
14 is crazier than a bed bug!
However..
Rooney needs to sell and transfer Tull the majority ..Tull is extremely wealthy and a great entrepreneur..
It Won't happen because Art the deuce has a son in the wings from what I understand ..
I also am aware that he is a minor owner of the Yankees .. so I don’t know if the NFL would approve that?
Dino the good news is Tomlin has a son in the wings too and I heard a back room hand shake deal with Mike was made that when, and only when, he’s ready to walk away his son Dino will take over as HC for him.

Endless Ground Hog’s day for everyone!!!
Woo hoo

The OL struggles couldn’t have anything to do with all the injuries could they, guys rarely playing next to the same guy week to week

OL is about continuity and having your best available. Most of this season has been missing both…jus sayin’

i thought George was a headcase in college, too?
a couple minor things, hardly a headcase per GA Bulldog standards (from what I've seen as a lifelong Bulldog fan)

his issues seem to have become more magnified in the Tomlin turtle offense and the extreme lack of usage within it and never having a solid QB to highlight his skill set...dude is trying to get paid, and his HC, OC and QB have done him few favors thus far into his career. The frustration in him is obvious. Then you have reporters trying to bait him into saying stupid/controversial **** taboot. Those questions they were asking him the other day were weak AF obvious baiting questions just trying to stir **** up...and he held his own. **** the click bait reporters, that **** would piss me off for sure.

What cracks me up is a guy like Muth (who I do see as a good dude) taking a jab at him apparently by saying, "I block my *** off every play"...love ya Muth but if what you are doing is "blocking your *** off" that **** is comical cuz while you might be trying to block that is by far the weakest part of your game son, stay in your lane and talk about effort every play. Every time I watch Muth trying to block it cracks me up. Hines Ward can talk about blocking, Muth not so much. If you want to be a team leader a weak blocker doesn't need to be calling out another weak blocker through the media imho.

We need a receiver coach like Hines in the room or even an OL coach like Munch cuz this offensive unit as a whole brings zero nasty to the table outside of Frazier (and 1 block by Jones when he was pissed to start a game off). The identity of the entire offense is soft AF which really sucks for a run first team. Even a big guy like Najee runs like he thinks he's a scat back that can actually make jump cuts and get the edge instead of just seeing hole and hitting the hole and trucking a defender. I see an entire identity crisis on the unit and zero leaders out there to fix it. Maybe Isaac can start being that guy now that he's back, maybe?

As of this morning, Pickens has been released by the Menacing Boners fantasy football organization. Happy Trails, George, and best of luck to you.

We need a receiver coach like Hines in the room or even an OL coach like Munch cuz this offensive unit as a whole brings zero nasty to the table outside of Frazier (and 1 block by Jones when he was pissed to start a game off). The identity of the entire offense is soft AF which really sucks for a run first team. Even a big guy like Najee runs like he thinks he's a scat back that can actually make jump cuts and get the edge instead of just seeing hole and hitting the hole and trucking a defender. I see an entire identity crisis on the unit and zero leaders out there to fix it. Maybe Isaac can start being that guy now that he's back, maybe?
They got a bit of a no-nonsense WR coach this year. It goes back to what you said originally that the WRs are going off because they aren't getting the ball. Get your playmakers the ball and they won't become attitude problems.

They got a bit of a no-nonsense WR coach this year. It goes back to what you said originally that the WRs are going off because they aren't getting the ball. Get your playmakers the ball and they won't become attitude problems.
Winning seems to cure everything

Today’s diva receivers are all over the league and winning is targets, yards and TDs equating to $$$

Today’s NFL receivers are getting paid like mad in the passing league and they seem to be going crazy everywhere

Ours a bit more than others unfortunately

**** the apologists, blame goes to who is to blame.

#3 Kahn & Wiedl both had hands in clearing Picket to draft even with the BIG red flags surrounding him.

Salute the nation
Colbert was still GM and Wiedl was still at Philadelphia when Pickens was drafted. Sure, Khan probably had input as incoming GM, but Tomlin and Colbert probably had the bigger say (otherwise why would Colbert be kept in the GM role specifically for the draft).

It isn't JUST Pickens here boys. He's frustrated and rightfully so. Look at how many wide receivers in the NFL are Divas...ALL of them. There isn't one WR in the NFL that wouldn't be acting this way in this offense (Run First and often) and with this QB (inconsistent) and with this WR room (non-existent). The pressure is all on Pickens to make circus catches in critical times while covered by the defenses best corner and safety on almost every play.

Bring in a legit #2 WR OR put the ******* rookie (Wilson) in the game OR scheme Pickens open (Pick play anyone?) OR put in Russell Wilson and lets get a passing game going here.

Russell needs to start, Fields needs to be in packages as a dual threat, and Arty Smith needs to open up the playbook a bit to balance out the offense.

It isn't JUST Pickens here boys. He's frustrated and rightfully so. Look at how many wide receivers in the NFL are Divas...ALL of them. There isn't one WR in the NFL that wouldn't be acting this way in this offense (Run First and often) and with this QB (inconsistent) and with this WR room (non-existent). The pressure is all on Pickens to make circus catches in critical times while covered by the defenses best corner and safety on almost every play.

Bring in a legit #2 WR OR put the ******* rookie (Wilson) in the game OR scheme Pickens open (Pick play anyone?) OR put in Russell Wilson and lets get a passing game going here.

Russell needs to start, Fields needs to be in packages as a dual threat, and Arty Smith needs to open up the playbook a bit to balance out the offense.

All valid points Badcat, but I’m afraid Arty Smith faces a controlling obstacle that doesn’t allow normal offensive play calling.

Salute the nation