• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post it here. What are your thoughts on Mason Rudolph being the starter

1. Actually, Lebeau and Whiz were the coordinators when Tomlin was hired. Lebeau had already had a shot at being a HC. It did not go well for him. Whisenhunt withdrew his name from consideration to be the Steelers HC once it became apparent he would not be just handed the HC job. He did enjoy two stints as an NFL HC. His record as a HC is 48-73. Yeah, he was definitely a better choice.

2. No, my opinion is that once Tomlin is gone, I don't care what color the HC is. I wouldn't want them to hire a black coach that sucks just because he's black. And, I wouldn't want them to hire a white coach that sucks just because he's white. Hire whomever they think is the best option and let's roll with it.
Actually Russ Grim was the assistant head coach. And Whiz was a coordinator. And Whiz did not withdraw his name. He wasn’t picked and he resigned to go be the cards head coach. He brought the cards to a bowl with old *** kurt warner. But after that he sucked. Never had a single season with a QB like Roethlisberger though. And if he was chosen and over Tomlin and hadn’t had a playoff win for 5-6 years I’d be calling for his head too.

Hey, we agree! I just want them to hire the best coach. My worry is they’ll give an unfair advantage for a black coach or who knows maybe a black woman by then. I know you think that sounds nuts but people who think like the Rooney’s are insane. Literally insane. You have to think of a person who has no logic or accountability. That’s Art the Deuce.

Actually Russ Grim was the assistant head coach. And Whiz was a coordinator. And Whiz did not withdraw his name. He wasn’t picked and he resigned to go be the cards head coach. He brought the cards to a bowl with old *** kurt warner. But after that he sucked. Never had a single season with a QB like Roethlisberger though. And if he was chosen and over Tomlin and hadn’t had a playoff win for 5-6 years I’d be calling for his head too.

Hey, we agree! I just want them to hire the best coach. My worry is they’ll give an unfair advantage for a black coach or who knows maybe a black woman by then. I know you think that sounds nuts but people who think like the Rooney’s are insane. Literally insane. You have to think of a person who has no logic or accountability. That’s Art the Deuce.
Whiz left to become the Cards HC before the interviews were even finished. He withdrew his name from consideration for the Steeler HC job by doing so.
https://football.realgm.com/analysis/1527/Steeler-Coaching-Search-Down-To-Final-Four
https://legendsrevealed.com/sports/...ke-tomlin-as-their-coach-over-ken-whisenhunt/
https://stillcurtain.com/2011/10/22...es-and-futures-of-the-steelers-and-cardinals/

Your first link states nothing of Whisenhunt resignation. Your second says the rumor of Whisenhunt leaving to go to Arizona is false but even so the site doesn’t look very reputable.

ESPN says Whiz didn’t even get a second interview.

Your first link states nothing of Whisenhunt resignation. Your second says the rumor of Whisenhunt leaving to go to Arizona is false but even so the site doesn’t look very reputable.

ESPN says Whiz didn’t even get a second interview.
Your link is from the day AFTER Whisenhunt took the Cardinals job. Of course the Steelers would turn to someone else after he left. As far as the second interview thing, you yourself stated that he had been groomed for the position. Why would they need to give a second interview to someone they were intimately familiar with? It's even possible (though unknown) that they felt he really wouldn't make a good HC before giving him a courtesy interview. Throw in the rumors at the time that Ben just didn't like the guy and ...

Is there a need to start the insults? Especially between good posters and not trolls?
Anger got the best of me. But to be fair I’ve said many times my opinion on Tomlin is supported by facts. I understand it’s an opinion and everyone can have their own. But I am very careful to state when something is my opinion.

Your link is from the day AFTER Whisenhunt took the Cardinals job. Of course the Steelers would turn to someone else after he left. As far as the second interview thing, you yourself stated that he had been groomed for the position. Why would they need to give a second interview to someone they were intimately familiar with? It's even possible (though unknown) that they felt he really wouldn't make a good HC before giving him a courtesy interview. Throw in the rumors at the time that Ben just didn't like the guy and ...
Still more proof than a rumor. A rumor your site calls false. If anything it looks like I was right and the Steelers were hiring a black guy regardless of who was the best coach for the job.

Still more proof than a rumor. A rumor your site calls false. If anything it looks like I was right and the Steelers were hiring a black guy regardless of who was the best coach for the job.
You could take a lot of things out of those articles. You chose what you wanted to. I disagree. I think they just didn't want to hire Whisenhunt (which was proven to be a good decision based on his record as a HC). It's actually all water under the bridge now.
Question is "Where do the Steelers go from here?"

Here’s one from the Trib. Rooney denying they offered Grimm the job then rescinded and hired Tomlin. Who knows what happened.

You could take a lot of things out of those articles. You chose what you wanted to. I disagree. I think they just didn't want to hire Whisenhunt (which was proven to be a good decision based on his record as a HC). It's actually all water under the bridge now.
Question is "Where do the Steelers go from here?"
But you stated he resigned. He didn’t. The Steelers chose Tomlin over Grimm and Whisenhunt. That’s the fact of the matter.

But you stated he resigned. He didn’t. The Steelers chose Tomlin over Grimm and Whisenhunt. That’s the fact of the matter.
He withdrew his name when he took the Cardinal's job. The Steelers then announced Tomlin as their HC. He took the Cards job BEFORE Tomlin was chosen as the Steelers HC. Grimm? Grimm had never even been a coordinator. Want to talk about not having the qualifications. Grimm had never even been responsible for developing complete offensive gameplans, play calling, etc. But, that's beside the point. Whisenhunt got tired of waiting for a job that he thought should have been given to him. He took another one. The Steelers then hired Tomlin.

Whiz left to become the Cards HC before the interviews were even finished. He withdrew his name from consideration for the Steeler HC job by doing so.
If memory serves, the Cards offered the HC job to Whiz before the Steelers were done interviewing and they wanted a yes or no answer. He'd pass on a firm offer to take a chance he gets promoted with his current team, which may or may not have happened, so he opted for the sure thing.

He withdrew his name when he took the Cardinal's job. The Steelers then announced Tomlin as their HC. He took the Cards job BEFORE Tomlin was chosen as the Steelers HC. Grimm? Grimm had never even been a coordinator. Want to talk about not having the qualifications. Grimm had never even been responsible for developing complete offensive gameplans, play calling, etc. But, that's beside the point. Whisenhunt got tired of waiting for a job that he thought should have been given to him. He took another one. The Steelers then hired Tomlin.
Grimm was the assistant head coach. He was out of coaching a decade or so later so maybe he wasn’t a great coach/candidate.

Tomlin had one year as a defensive coordinator where he was dead last in pass defense. Considering he was a DB coach that should have been a red flag. And the fact we had two coordinators on staff who had been groomed to be head coaches that we passed on is another fact to support my opinion that Tomlin was a narrative hire and NOT the best option.

Hey, your opinion is once Tomlin is out we won’t hire another black head coach. I think they have proven they will give an emphasis on promoting their narrative. I could very well be wrong. And if they don’t I will be first surprised and second admit I was wrong. But proof is in the pudding. Guess one day we will see who is right.

My opinion is supported by facts dumbass. Learn to read.
Here’s a fact. He took over a Cowher team just removed from winning a super bowl with a hall of fame QB. And his entire career has been with a hall of fame QB. So no monkey wrench. As Cowher’s team got older and Roethlisberger had less to work with the team has gotten worse.

Maybe he puts a great team together now and we win multiple super bowls. I’d be the first to admit I was wrong. But if he blows the next three years will you admit I might be right?
Excuse me? You must have me confused with someone else with the dumbass comments. I just showed you the error in your logic. If you want to be a juvenile prick, I will end the convo here.

Excuse me? You must have me confused with someone else with the dumbass comments. I just showed you the error in your logic. If you want to be a juvenile prick, I will end the convo here.
You haven’t refuted ANY of my facts.

Was Tomlin a DC for more than 1 year?

Was the Vikings Last in pass defense under the 1 year Tomlin was the DC?

Have we won a playoff game in the last 5 years?

Please, tell me how those are “opinions.”

not accurate enough doesn't have that soft touch to make finesse plays that ben makes look effortless, better off drafting Pickett or Willis and having Mariota or Foles for a year.
As for the draft as not going QB rnd 1 I wouuld take Jordan Davis switch base d to 4-3 as I see him a Vita Vea Vilfork dominate 1T that could always demand double teams and still be a force , with him Bush will be a pro bowler

First off, Duck did not out play Rudy, he came in when he got hurt. After the helmet deal, I think they rushed him back too soon, because of Duck’s Play.

Second, if Marriota or Trubinsy were any good, they would still have their starting gigs right now. The were demoted for a reason, and going to a team with ZERO history of coaching up ANY QB, is not going to turn their career around.

Third, there is too much money that needs to be spent fixing 10 other positions, to spend on a top FA QB. I don’t put it past them, as Tomlin was a penchant for doing stupid ****.

Rudy is the best option right now. He may fail, but he may not. He gives them a chance to right the ship, for the next guy, if it doesn’t turn out to be him.

This is pretty much where I’m at with this. It’s not a perfect roster, so unless we get some blessing come out of nowhere I see it being Rudolph or a journeyman next year. Build the team then get the QB.

Rudolph will get first crack at it. But I could see somebody like Fitzpatrick coming in also.

I’m not upset about us not having anyone yet, because quite honestly how often do teams find their next QB with the franchise guy still in house? Very rarely. Not a single one comes to mind right now, but I’m sure there are some.

You haven’t refuted ANY of my facts.

Was Tomlin a DC for more than 1 year?

Was the Vikings Last in pass defense under the 1 year Tomlin was the DC?

Have we won a playoff game in the last 5 years?

Please, tell me how those are “opinions.”
Facts mixed with opinion doesn't make it racially based. I explained in another thread a team that has a winning record year after year after year isn't canning a HC based on our dislike for his playoff inadequacies.

:focus:

Seems to me that a mobile quarterback would be better suited for Canada's RPO offense. I don't think Tomlin will move on from Canada, therefore Rudolph wouldn't appear to be the best fit. Others have mentioned Trubisky; I'd rather see him under center for the Steelers next year.

per wiki ...The 2006 season was the Minnesota Vikings' 46th in the National Football League. Under new head coach Brad Childress, the team finished with a 6–10 record; however, they led the league in rushing defense, surrendering only 985 rushing yards; they are one of only two franchises in NFL history to allow fewer than 1,000 rushing yards in a 16-game season (the other was the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens in 2000).- This is from Tomlin's last year as a DC before that he was a part of a SB staff. So let us not pretend he didn't have some attributes that didn't attract the FO. Plenty of coaching experience although light as a DC. So he was considered a up and comer by some. And blew the Steelers away in the interview process. Won a early SB, went to a second one. The problem wasn't early so that is where it leans toward my opinion being accurate. His problem was in time the poor decisions he and Colbert made as a tag team. He had a good run and faded. Nothing in skin color based there. With the Steelers having a history of keeping their coaches when they like them nothing with present day.

per wiki ...The 2006 season was the Minnesota Vikings' 46th in the National Football League. Under new head coach Brad Childress, the team finished with a 6–10 record; however, they led the league in rushing defense, surrendering only 985 rushing yards; they are one of only two franchises in NFL history to allow fewer than 1,000 rushing yards in a 16-game season (the other was the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens in 2000).
How ironic that now, after 15 seasons with the Steelers, Tomlin's run defense has come full circle to rank #32 in the league.

Facts mixed with opinion doesn't make it racially based. I explained in another thread a team that has a winning record year after year after year isn't canning a HC based on our dislike for his playoff inadequacies.
That’s fine. That’s your opinion. Some people are ok with mediocrity. Some aren’t.

per wiki ...The 2006 season was the Minnesota Vikings' 46th in the National Football League. Under new head coach Brad Childress, the team finished with a 6–10 record; however, they led the league in rushing defense, surrendering only 985 rushing yards; they are one of only two franchises in NFL history to allow fewer than 1,000 rushing yards in a 16-game season (the other was the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens in 2000).- This is from Tomlin's last year as a DC before that he was a part of a SB staff. So let us not pretend he didn't have some attributes that didn't attract the FO. Plenty of coaching experience although light as a DC. So he was considered a up and comer by some. And blew the Steelers away in the interview process. Won a early SB, went to a second one. The problem wasn't early so that is where it leans toward my opinion being accurate. His problem was in time the poor decisions he and Colbert made as a tag team. He had a good run and faded. Nothing in skin color based there. With the Steelers having a history of keeping their coaches when they like them nothing with present day.
Yes, because everyone just threw on them. Fine he was the best run defense coordinator in 2006 for a 6-10 team. And 14th overall defense.

I guess I just don’t see a resume of a NFL head coach. Again it’s an opinion but it’s not like he had a top 5 defense for 5 years. He had one mediocre year at DC. I guess if that’s not enough to support my opinion I don’t know what would.

That’s fine. That’s your opinion. Some people are ok with mediocrity. Some aren’t.
Why am I fine with mediocrity? I never have hid my want for a replacement. Even from the beginning conversation. I also based my opinion on facts. Right?

Yes, because everyone just threw on them. Fine he was the best run defense coordinator in 2006 for a 6-10 team. And 14th overall defense.

I guess I just don’t see a resume of a NFL head coach. Again it’s an opinion but it’s not like he had a top 5 defense for 5 years. He had one mediocre year at DC. I guess if that’s not enough to support my opinion I don’t know what would.
No I remember that run D they were nasty good. He was thought as an up and comer. Sure there was some question marks but there was some things the club liked. You came across that the facts you presented support your racial opinions. But you really failed to prove anything remotely factual to support that. His regular season record doesn't support any theories of race playing a factor. The only thing that is accurate is we have a HC that isn't getting it done in regards to the postseason. Again this is coming from a fan that wants him replaced. I just think the race angle is unsupported.