• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potential Steelers unheralded gamechangers vs San Francisco wk 1

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So the media is mostly focused on the stars and high end starters in this game… Mincah, TJ, Cam Heyward, Pickett, Pickens, Peterson…

But here are some guys that could have a HUGE impact but are totally off the radar

Honorable mention: . Boswell… yeah Kickers are important, but this could be a very low scoring game and the 49rs could be down to their 3rd string K off the PS…. Bos didn’t have a great season last year but if he rebounds he could be the deciding factor in this game… particularly in Pittsburgh where kicking is not easy to begin with

5. Damontae Kazee. The 49ers will look to avoid Fitzpatrick and opposite him, Kazee is a way better playmaker than Edmunds was. He will likely get opportunities to make plays on the ball… and he can do just that
In 53 starts he has 14 picks and 7 forced fumbles … edmunds started 75 games for us and had 5 picks and no forced fumbles…

4. Darnell Washington. Mount Washington is a great blocker and while his routes need work, he is a massive physical mismatch on anyone out there.. his blocking should help with Bosa, which might be enough on it’s own, but expect him to be targeted a couple times this game… especially in the end zone.

3. Nick Herbig. He certainly is not ready to be a full time lb yet or anything… but he is super disruptive due to his quickness and balance. He is undersized but has that ability to stay on his feet at hard angles… that lean/size combo can be difficult for tackles to play against… even great ones. It changes the physics of leverage. I’m expecting him to make a splash play or two on limited snaps

2. Calvin Austin 3. Speed kills. This guy is going to get looks on returns as well as some slot and Outside looks at wr… nothing breaks down a defense like elite speed. If he makes a couple of plays the 9rs d is going to have serious issues… remember their safeties might be a little beat up, their top cb is potentially out, and they lost their best slot coverage guy in the offseason.. plus they have DJ, Pickens, and Muth to deal with as well….

1. Connor Heyward. This guy is a utility tool playmaker…. It’s fitting that he has “ward” in his name because he reminds me of a stockier, smaller ward. If the Steelers use him right he can find tge holes to exploit as a runner and pass catcher, plus provide some blocking too..

I was thinking that Washington may turn out to be important as well. Warner and Greenlaw are fast and Friermuth may have trouble getting seperation but if Pickett throws the ball were only Washington can reach, it won't matter if their lbs are on him like a glove. This is in addition to what you mentioned about his help neutralizing their defensive line.

Couple this with mother nature. Tomorrow's forcast calls for occasional showers with heavy downpours at time. It could turn into a real slugfest upfront negating some of the 49er defensive team speed.

I was thinking that Washington may turn out to be important as well. Warner and Greenlaw are fast and Friermuth may have trouble getting seperation but if Pickett throws the ball were only Washington can reach, it won't matter if their lbs are on him like a glove. This is in addition to what you mentioned about his help neutralizing their defensive line.

Couple this with mother nature. Tomorrow's forcast calls for occasional showers with heavy downpours at time. It could turn into a real slugfest upfront negating some of the 49er defensive team speed.
Letting Gentry go is a huge statement in favor of Washington, I think he will be a real contributor to the running game and red zone play call

Letting Gentry go is a huge statement in favor of Washington, I think he will be a real contributor to the running game and red zone play call
I think Washington surprised them a little with his pass catch capable. They knew his potential as a blocker. Obviously both areas are developing but I think he will have some good moments this season. Hopefully starting tomorrow.

Only time will tell if Tomlin can figure out how to use Washington, CA3, and Herbig properly. Tomlin can be stubborn as a mule introducing new players, plays, schemes.

FINALLY the day is here!

I’m anxious to see if Pat P. really did find a ‘tell’ or if he’s just trying to get in the young QBs mind. What I’m really hoping is the game plan goes well enough that they can keep some of their playmakers under wraps for another week. If you can run it in from the 8 on 1st and goal you don’t have to throw a jump ball to Washington on 3rd and goal from the 3. …except for Austin, I’d love to see him and Pickett team up for a long TD to start the season.

FINALLY the day is here!

I’m anxious to see if Pat P. really did find a ‘tell’ or if he’s just trying to get in the young QBs mind. What I’m really hoping is the game plan goes well enough that they can keep some of their playmakers under wraps for another week. If you can run it in from the 8 on 1st and goal you don’t have to throw a jump ball to Washington on 3rd and goal from the 3. …except for Austin, I’d love to see him and Pickett team up for a long TD to start the season.
Patrick Peterson is running his mouth about nothing. Done it most of his career. Better hope he can back it up.

As far as Austin, he’s 4th on the depth chart at the moment. He’ll get maybe 15-20 snaps a game, if that. He can be a difference maker if he can take advantage of limited snaps and earn more playing time.

My pick is Herbig. The guy has been pissing excellence since he got to Pittsburgh. Circumstances are different in the regular season, but he did well against starters, back ups and scrubs. Dude is just different.

I forgot one more guy here… Leal… if Ogunjobi isn’t able to play, Leal replaces him…and even if he does he still spells him. Leal has elite pass rushing potential… the Steelers bring DL guys along slowly a lot of times…

as O have mentioned earlier, the SF interior line was good last year, but that was their first year starting for all three… the LG is aaron banks, who had a strong passblocking year but a weak runblocking one. …but much of that lines success was driven from the excellent tackles… lf leal can add a 4th pass rush problem to the equation, it’s possible that they are forced to keep a back in to block and a TE to help with TJ… that simplifies coverage a ton

Herbig and Benton are the two I want to see in action the most .......

Mount Washington's blocking skills will be needed today ........hope he shows well