• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ray Fittipaldo Pittsburgh Post Gazette Steelers chat: 07.01.19

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Always good to see peoples perspective on the team. Some good questions in there today ! (Not that I always agree with his answers)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat: 07.01.19
powered by
JotCast

Ray Fittipaldo
11:48 Welcome to my Steelers chat. Post your questions and we'll get started.

Mr CJ Jr
11:49 Hello Ray (welcome back), Is it just me or is this off-season refreshingly boring, especially compared to the last couple of off-seasons? No contract issues (i.e. tags), no "disgruntled employees", etc. Thoughts?

Ray Fittipaldo
11:50 No, you are right. There was the Le'Veon Bell contract hanging over their heads at this time last year. No drama with Brown or really anyone else. No one getting into trouble. No arrests. Brian Batko had it easy when he was on the beat the past two weeks. Now watch, I'm back on for a week and something will happen. Ha ha.

slashsteel
11:51 As of right now who comes off the bench at free safety? #SteelernationSaysHi

Ray Fittipaldo
11:53 That's one of the things they have to figure out in training camp. Kameron Kelly filled in there for a week of OTAs when Sean Davis was out. So did Jordan Dangerfield though I don't think he's a serious option at free. Then you have PJ Locke and Dravon Askew-Henry, two undrafted free agents who should get a look this summer. If no one stands out they'll pick one up off the scrap heap after final cut-downs. It's not an ideal way to build a roster, but when you;re thin at a position you don't have much choice.

Paul from Louisville
11:53 Do you think they will keep 6 receivers this year?

Ray Fittipaldo
11:54 I think that will depend on how Danny Smith and Mike Tomlin compose their special teams core. Darrius Heyward-Bey has been the sixth receiver, but he really only played special teams. So is there another receiver to fill his role? I'm not sure. DHB's special teams role could go to another player at another position.

imasteelerfan43@yahoo.com
11:55 Am I being too optimistic to be seriously excited about this year. I feel like the distractions were serious and now gone. Ben has been challenged to be a new kind of leader (I think he is up for it), young talent (unproven I know) mixed with veteran leaders, the only real question in all three phases is safety... better than most...

Ray Fittipaldo
11:57 The Steelers will contend in a jumbled AFC North. For my money, the Browns, Ravens and Steelers are all in the same boat. One will emerge. Why not the Steelers. As you mention, Ben is motivated, and he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. They have big shoes to fill at WR, but they have talented players. They're just unproven. Sure they have some depth issues at a few spots, but does every other team. I'm not going to tell you they'll win the division, but I do think they'll be in it til the end.

TomnBloomfield
11:57 We know QB is usually the highest paid, but What NFL team position is typically the lowest paid? Thanks!

Ray Fittipaldo
11:57 That's easy: long snapper.

Mike
11:58 Do you think this team can start showing up for lessor teams or is this what we have to accept for the Mike Tomlin coaching era. I think this team can still win despite Tomlin. Your thoughts?

Ray Fittipaldo
11:59 Playing down to competition has been a problem, but not many coaches can boast of Tomlin's record. You might argue has has squandered more opportunities than others because he's been blessed with a better roster in most years, but not overall record.

Jeff M
11:59 I am a Mike Tomlin supporter, maybe one of the few left. How do you think the rest of the league views Tomlin? Most well-respected coaches establish lengthy coaching trees, like Andy Reid and Bill Belichick have. However, Tomlin has never had an assistant hired as a HC, unless you argue Bruce Arians should count, I don’t. Do you think this is an indication the league does not think much of Mike Tomlin?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:01 You make a good point. Tomlin hasn't had assistant move on to become head coaches in the pros. (Sean Kugler became a head coach in college at UTEP.) It should be noted Tomlin kept some of Bill Cowher's staff so he didn't have as many chances to hire young up-and-comers so to speak.

FloridaSteelers
12:02 Ray, I have a really good feeling about the Steelers this year. I believe the chemistry is so much better then years past & this will lead to more victories. How do you feel about them this year?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:02 I think they'll win between 8 and 10 games.

JerseySteel
12:02 Hi Ray - how long do you think it will take the new receiver corps to gel and hit their stride? If it is 5-6 games, it could hurt their playoff chances

Ray Fittipaldo
12:04 Well, I think with Ben Roethlisberger attending most of the OTAs and minicamp will help with the transition. They got a good head start with the work they put in this spring. That doesn't mean there won't be hiccups in the early going. There very well might be, but I like the talent Ben has at his disposal.

Professor Flush
12:04 Any thoughts on the placekicker competition this summer? Will Boswell be afforded every chance to keep his job due to salary cap implications? Do the Steelers view last year as an aberration? Was there any truth to Chris having a hip injury that affected his kicking leg?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:07 Boswell was injured in warm-ups before the Saints game. He played through the injury in that game, but he was replaced for the final game of the regular season. That is the only injury I am aware from last season. And after what happened last season I don't think Boswell will be given any special treatment. If Matthew Wright has a better camp he'll be the kicker when the season opens. Remember, the Steelers delayed a big bonus for Boswell until late August. They'll still take on a significant dead-cap hit if they release him, but it won't be as bad as it could have been if Boswell did not agree to delay the bonus payment.

BlackJack Bill
12:07 What do you see Jaylen Samuels role this year? Why not use him on swing passes out of the backfield like he did on many occasions at NC State?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:08 I'm interested to see how his role does grow. He proved to be a versatile and productive player as a rookie. But I think there is more potential to tap there. We saw a little two-back stuff in the spring and Conner and Samuels. So that will be an option and the most obvious way to get him more opportunities without cutting into Conner's playing time.

Jack R
12:08 Hi Ray! Who do you have tabbed as this year’s “camp darling”? I’d personally go with Sutton Smith. His speed and tackling ability is bound to wow the fans in attendance.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:11 He's a good choice. I know he was a camp darling last year, but I think Ola Adeniyi can take another big step this year. I'm expecting that out of him because he has tons of potential. You'll see some receivers emerge because there will be opportunities. That player last year was Damooun Patterson, who ended up on New England's practice squad after the Steelers cut him. So keep an eye on Diontae Spencer, who played in the CFL the past four years. He was impressive this spring

Big Steeler Dog in Miami
12:11 Are we almost finished with the Artie Burns experiment?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:11 Yeah almost unless there are some injuries
Professor Flush
12:11 Are you ready for some Benny and the Jets? Could he, Samuels and Connor be a triad running back group?

Ray Fittipaldo

12:12 They certainly have some players with different skill sets. I like the diversity. I'm still not convinced they'll divvy up the reps like a lot of other teams do. Tomlin loves to have a horse and Conner performed well in that role last year.

Bones
12:13 Thanks for the chat Ray, I always enjoy your take on things. I'm surprisingly excited about the season ahead, I think they plugged all their holes and took out the trash. I know everyone's worried about the TE situation, but am I completely wrong thinking that Jaylen Samuels may be in-line for more of an H-back/TE role and Snell may be the backup RB? Not only as needed, but consistently throughout the year?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:14 I'm not sure about that. I really like Samuels' skill set, but he's not going to be a blocking tight end. The Steelers have used their extra tight ends as blockers the past few years. Unless they go away from what they've been doing I don't think Samuels will be among the core group of TEs. He could line up as an H-back in packages, but he's not big enough to thrive as a true backup TE.

Big Steeler Dog in Miami
12:15 It seems folks are nervous about giving Joe Haden a contract extension due to his age. If we signed him for say three years could he potentially move to free safety if his speed begins to diminish? What kind of contract numbers do you see for a Haden extension?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:16 $11 or 12 million a year I think. And yes, I do think Haden can transition to safety at some point. But right now, they need him as a CB because he continues to play well there.

Big Steeler Dog in Miami
12:16 Any chance we keep 4RB's this year? Lots of hype surrounding Edmunds.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:17 I don't think so. Probably 3 and one on the practice squad again unless Edmunds is so good on special teams that he forces his way onto the 53-man roster.

BlackJack Bill
12:18 Will there be more emphasis on DBs and Safeties "catching the ball" for INTs this year, or is this secondary afflicted with Ike Taylor syndrome, ie, HANDS OF STONE?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:18 It's been an emphasis this entire offseason. That doesn't mean they'll automatically intercept more passes, but they're actively working to improve in that area.

Maxwell
12:18 Hello Ray. Could Johnny Holton be viewed as a Heyward-Bey replacement? Seems like he’s a perfect fit as a gunner and reserve receiver option.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:21 Possibly. I know he played parts of the past three seasons with the Raiders, but I'm not up to speed on what he did special teams-wise there. The Steelers have to find ways to improve their special teams. If that means keeping some players that don't have "positions" then so be it. You can't go into a season lacking quality depth at key spots, but I feel like they've hung onto a few too many vets the past few years who didn't necessarily stand out as special teamers. You can probably name them.

BlackJack Bill
12:21 69 days until Patriots game. Are you ready for the season?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:21 It's 66, but who's counting?

TJ Watt
12:21 Ray, over/under 13 sacks for me this season?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:22 That's actually a good number. I think you'll see more attention (and respect) from offensive coordinators after last season.

Professor Flush
12:22 Is Big Red (#44) in trouble for a roster spot? Will his special teams play be the difference in making the team this year?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:23 The Steelers clearly wanted to get faster at LB. We'll see if any of the new guys can play special teams as well as Matakevich. They have to prove they can do that in the preseason games.

Big Steeler Dog in Miami
12:23 Hi Ray. I have spent most of the summer hearing from my friends how bad the Steelers are going to be this year. I think that the Steelers should at a minimum have a better record than last year which should get them in the playoffs. Crazy?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:24 Not crazy at all. All it would take to be better than last year is get to 10-6. That's not out of the question with such a talented roster.

Scl
12:24 Ray, I’ve read the moncrief is now the likely #2 receiver, but what percent chances would you give Diontae and Washington of becoming the number #2?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:25 I honestly don't think the Steelers will have a true No. 2 receiver this year. You might see Moncrief line up as the starter every games, but you'll see plenty of Johnson and Washington when they want to take advantage of matchups. And if Washington ends up being the starter the same holds true. Moncrief and Johnson will still play plenty.

Scl
12:26 What are your realistic expectations for the type of impact Bush makes as a rookie?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:26 If Bush does not play a lot and play well the Steelers won't be much better. I hate to put a lot of pressure on such a young player, but if he's good it will add another dimension that the defense was lacking last season.

Stillerz
12:27 Love the chats Ray! What player on offense and defense do you see taking the biggest leaps this year? I’m hoping with a completely healthy dline and dominant linebacker (watt) opposite, that Dupree can be a 8-9 sack guy

Ray Fittipaldo
12:28 It would be nice if Dupree finally put it all together. That would boost the defense for sure. As for the offense, I think Diontae Johsnon will be more productive than James Washington was as a rookie. I'm not predicting JuJu-type rookie stats, but I think he'll play a signifiant role if he's able to stay healthy.

Stillerz
12:29 What are your thoughts on Chucks so far? Think he has a good chance of becoming a starter at some point this year?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:30 Feiler will enter camp as the player to beat out, but Okorafor has the talent to emerge at some point. When that will be is still anyone's guess. He won't turn 22 until August, and he's still relatively new to the game. This is only his sixth or seventh year playing the game.

BlackJack Bill
12:30 Is the Washington State safety Jalen Thompson worth a midround selection in the supplemental draft, perhaps a third or fourth rounder?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:32 The supplemental draft has been around sine 1977, and the Steelers have never taken part.

Steely Dan
12:32 Is there any reason to think Sean Davis could be a breakout player this season? A very underwhelming start to his career but I get he has been moved all over

Ray Fittipaldo
12:33 He says he's most comfortable at free safety. This will be his second season there so it's fair to expect improvement. I don't know about a breakout year, but I think they expect more than one INT from their starting FS.

Steely Dan
12:33 Do you think Ola can unseat Chick as the #3 OLb?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:33 I do.

Cowherpower
12:33 Hi ray. From Canada. Steelers fan from 84’. Why do the Steelers always grind out games. Noll 80s cowher 90s used to blow out teams. Not Tomlin and Big Ben.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:34 I don't have the stats in front of me, but Keith Butler mentioned this spring how the rules of the game today make it so games are close late in the fourth quarter. Sure there will be a few blowouts every year, but the way the game is officiated and the way teams throw the ball it's easier to make up points.

Silly in PHILLY
12:35 what are your thoughts on WR Spencer? Looks shifty and can fly- seems like he could be a difference maker working the slot since he covets the skills required for that position, eh?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:35 He stood out in the spring, but I don't really know how he fits in that receiving corps. Maybe if there is an injury, but they have quality depth there.

stlrfan70
12:36 Am I wearing black and gold glasses or can this defense be top 5?

Ray Fittipaldo
12:36 My magic 8-ball says they're black and gold glasses, but I do think they can be better than last year.

Kiwi Jimmy
12:37 Is this a must "show me" year for Tuitt? Is his potential getting into the way of his performance? If he had a killer year, that would make Cam so much better, in my humble opinion.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:38 I wrote about Tuitt last month. He hasn't lived up to his contract. He's the highest-paid defender on the team. He has to start being more productive. I know he's played through injuries, but that's part of the deal.

Summer heat sucks
12:38 Do you think the Steelers will extend Hargrave if he has a big year? I just don’t see them paying top dollar to a third defensive lineman after paying Tuitt and Cam. Seems like A lot of that Antonio Brown money freed up next year will go to lock down JuJu.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:40 You make a good point about tying up big $ money in a DL that plays about 50 percent of the snaps. I suppose you can go out and get another guy like him in the draft, but it's going to cost you a second- or third-rounder. Guys like Hargrave don't grow on trees. He's been effective as a pass rusher in limited opportunities, and while not big, he's been OK as a run defender. I'd extend him for the right price, but I agree you can't pay big $ to a nose that isn't on the field all the time.

Dana
12:41 I'm not so sure Cleveland is gonna be too much of a factor later in the season. Too many big egos to feed. The potential for drama and infighting is great! Think AB x 5 or 6.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:42 You might be right, but the talent on paper is undeniable. They went out and acquired one of the top 2 receivers in the NFL. I know questions remain about their defense, but I'll be shocked if they finish under .500.
12:43 Backup safety, backup tight end. Ola vs. Chickillo for No. 3 OLB. Those are a few.

BlackJack BIll
12:44 Love the chats. Are you concerned how quickly Devin Bush grasps the defense? i am not, since he grew up with a father in the NFL.

Ray Fittipaldo
12:45 That's always a concern for a rookie, but they weren't shy about exposing him to a lot of different things in the spring. He lined up with the starters from Day 1. He called the signals. They clearly want him to be the QB of the defense. We'll see how he handles it this summer, but he seems like he's equipped to handle it.
12:46 Thanks for another great chat. My next one will be Monday July 22, a few days in advance of players reporting to Latrobe. In the meantime, enjoy the summer!

Last edited:
Nice find & post slash. Ray seems a little conservative / reserved in his prediction answers. I think the STEELERS will be 10 or above, heavy on the above and win the division. I do like how many position / individual battle we have to look forwards to.

Salute the nation

Nice find & post slash. Ray seems a little conservative / reserved in his prediction answers. I think the STEELERS will be 10 or above, heavy on the above and win the division. I do like how many position / individual battle we have to look forwards to.

Salute the nation
Yeah he is conservative across the board. But what is learned over the years is camp always brings a few surprises. This one has enough on its plate to give us a few more beyond the norm....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Salute the nation

FYI Drink, Fittipaldo has said while he covers the team, it’s not the NFL team he is a fan of. He gives an outside unfiltered look with his articles and chat responses.

I no no clue who his team is since he’s been with PPG forever and covered everything from high school baseball through the Sandusky trial. He does have an even keel in regards to reporting. I don’t get much “him” being in the articles like some other writers.....Ed, Steigerwald and the guy at the Trib.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app