• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Set To Meet With Big Name Quarterback Russell Wilson

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers need a quarterback, and apparently, they are going to begin their search with new free agent Russell Wilson. Wilson was just officially released by the Denver Broncos earlier this week in a record-breaking move. That record being the $85 million in dead cap money that the Broncos have to take on by releasing the former Super Bowl Champion.

READ MORE

The Pittsburgh Steelers need a quarterback, and apparently, they are going to begin their search with new free agent Russell Wilson. Wilson was just officially released by the Denver Broncos earlier this week in a record-breaking move. That record being the $85 million in dead cap money that the Broncos have to take on by releasing the former Super Bowl Champion.

READ MORE
Seriously doubt this is an actual story. Russ won’t take a reduced salary or be considered “2nd string”. He has a mantra to overcome since he’s getting drilled from all media sides.

Seriously doubt this is an actual story. Russ won’t take a reduced salary or be considered “2nd string”. He has a mantra to overcome since he’s getting drilled from all media sides.
I dunno I heard he might be willing to take less. Not sure about the second string status. Probably a feeling out process right now...

I dunno I heard he might be willing to take less. Not sure about the second string status. Probably a feeling out process right now...
I think at this point, Wilson is looking for a real chance to start, not be a part of some fantasy exercise of a fake QB competition, which is what Pgh will be, with Kenny being handed the starting job, the table slanted his way during preseason.

Look,Wilson wants to start, but there are few actual expected open starting jobs this season, even just as a spot filler while a Rookie develops behind you...

One of those spots is Denver.. meaning Wilson might only have one or two chances to be a starter...

In which case he has to start thinking about what happens if no one wants him as a starter,

He would have two options...
1. take a backup job and hope to wrest the job away from the starter,
Or
2. Sign nowhere and wait for a major injury to potentially open something up midseason

Of option 1, we clearly have the easiest path to advance

As for tge steelers, rumor is Wilson would take league minimum cause he doesnt need money

Seing that even Mason probably costs over 6 million dollars, getting a starter capable guy for cheap makes all the sense in the world

I feel like Wilson will opt for scenario 2 though

Question. Do yiu believe you can win a SB with Russell Wilson in say next season assuming we are talking about a one year deal? Or just another 10 win season dummying in the playoffs. Please clarify?

There was a big segment of the McAfee show about this. Denver is paying him 30+ million this season so he said he might sign for only a few million.

Question. Do yiu believe you can win a SB with Russell Wilson in say next season assuming we are talking about a one year deal? Or just another 10 win season dummying in the playoffs. Please clarify?
Maybe---but I do know he is our current best option to at least get to the AFC Championship game.

BTW----This is GREAT FREAKING NEWS IMHO!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN ROONEY!

Maybe---but I do know he is our current best option to at least get to the AFC Championship game.

BTW----This is GREAT FREAKING NEWS IMHO!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN ROONEY!
I don't think you would win a playoff game with Russell Wilson. He is shot. Another person afraid to win 6 games instead of 10.

I don't think you would win a playoff game with Russell Wilson. He is shot. Another person afraid to win 6 games instead of 10.
Russ is an upgrade over Kenny, I know, not setting the bar too high. There are only a few "NFL starters" worse than Kenny: O'Connell, Zach Wilson, Ridder and Bryce Young. Only Young will probably remain a starter this year. Kenny, the only 26 year-old QB in his 3rd year who is too young and inexperienced to be any good. Hey, but Art believes!

I'd much rather they bring in Fields. Now that they are showing interest and Wilson hasn't been cut, the Donkey's are going to want some sort of compensation. Wait until he is cut. This is a desperation move if they are bringing in an old QB to start. Wilson is nothing to write home about. Not in the least.

I'd much rather they bring in Fields. Now that they are showing interest and Wilson hasn't been cut, the Donkey's are going to want some sort of compensation. Wait until he is cut. This is a desperation move if they are bringing in an old QB to start. Wilson is nothing to write home about. Not in the least.
I don't belive they are entitled to any compensation.

If this is their way of “pushing” Kenny and a QB competition this team is in worse shape then I originally thought.

The Broncos gave Wilson permission to talk to teams before free agency. No trade compensation is needed. He talks to the Steelers and they wait until he's released.
Also, since Russ is being paid by the Broncos ($30M) this year, chances are the Steelers (or any other team) can get him at a bargain because no matter what he gets, the Broncos are paying the rest. Hell, if he's pissed, he signs with another team for vet min and makes the Broncos eat the rest.

Win a SB..... With or without Tomlin?

You're right: Wilson was not anything to write home about. But compared to Kenny, he was nearly God-like. It really doesn't matter, Pgh is not going to bring any vet who will expect to start because that's not the role they are looking for. Oh yes, they mouthed the words "QB competition" but that's where it ends; words only, no true intent. Although there are some rumblings that the overall team does not agree on making Kenny the actual starter, the ONE member of the team - the owner - kind of has the heaviest say. You see, Kenny was Art's call to begin with, and his ego has a say in all this. Art was able to mouth the words "QB competition," but they were just words to keep the fans from rebelling.

Patience is a virtue. But virtues can be taken too far. The Giants were patient with Daniel Jones....

No way Emimem lets him take the league minimum.

No way Emimem lets him take the league minimum.
He's not getting the league minimum. He's guaranteed $30 million from the Broncos. Any salary he receives from another team is just an offset of that $30M. A team would have to pay above $30M before the Broncos don't have to pay; even then, they are responsible for the first $30M.
And brother, let me tell ya, neither the Steelers nor any other team is gonna pay Wilson anywhere near $30M to play this year. The Broncos are going to have to eat a **** ton of his salary this year. And league minimum is definitely in play under those circumstances.