• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

I think we and the rest of the league has seen enough of Fiekds to make a sound accurate opinion of his performance as an NFL starting QB..

And that opinion is…
Fields is not a full time STARTING NFL QB.
Full stop.

IMG-0087.gif

Sure ain’t.
All 32 teams do not have a number one capable NFL QB either
If I had to rank him right now as compare to his peers I would rank him close to bottom third of the league.
20 to 24 range .
Well that simply can't be. The NFL has 32 starting QBs. That is a fact. If level of their play isn't up to your standards of what you deem starting material....well it is simply irrelevant.

Sure ain’t.
All 32 teams do not have a number one capable NFL QB either.
If I had to rank him right now as compare to his peers I would rank him close to bottom third of the league.
20 to 24 range .
I’m confused. Maybe TAC can help me understand. Lol
You are ranking them according to their capabilities, yet none of them are capable?

Ok. Fields has been good. Most would say OK. But I preface that with I do not know what they are asking him to do. Talking about the 32 points is pretty laughable. The turnovers were 3-0 and two of the drives were done but a penalties revived. If all things are equal go with Fields. He is a better athlete and his mobility is a problem. But I don't view trying to run a complete offense as a bad thing. Doesn't work. Back to Fields vs. G-spots.

Well Wilson supposedly makes better reads and commands the offense better in practice ... listen to Jones' comments about him last week..
the staff seems reluctant to let Fields use the whole field, or he just wont.
With division play coming up, you see what Wilson brings and can switch back at the bye if he sucks
That was the rap on Fields before he was a Steeler and shocker, it ended up being true. He simply can't read the entire Field and that won't even change. You aren't gonna win a Super Bowl that way.

That was the rap on Fields before he was a Steeler and shocker, it ended up being true. He simply can't read the entire Field and that won't even change. You aren't gonna win a Super Bowl that way.

Fields had like seven issues... and four of them have been rectified in a rather short time. Some guys take time... look at Brees or hell, go look at this years passing stats...
Geno smith, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold.. Jered Goff.. all of these are legit starters after being trash early in their careers

Fields seems to be accurate in the run. He has thrown some lasers on the move. The routine plays seem to be an issue. The drive he came in after being hurt was excellent. He dropped back and fired . Hard to say why it worked there but not the rest of the game.
As for Wilson I'm not sure why people act like he is a statue. He may not be as mobile as he was, but he was a shifty guy and more than capable of running if needed. I think Flacco got up to 18 or 19 mph last week. Surely Russ is as mobile as Flacco still.

On the bright side. I was told Russ' greatness of years gone by will make everyone play better. WR's will be able to get separation(and catch the ball when it hits them in their hands and/or facemask). OL will be able to hold blocks for a few seconds longer...RB's will grind out a few more yards. It is an ability of Russ' command of the offense that will make everything click as a well oiled machine.

I hope this is all true. Fingers crossed. I will root for Russ on Sunday. I was just hoping Fields would keep the job or at least until his play dictated it to be demoted. I have a strong feeling that they will be installing packages for Fields during the game. I don't know if I would be a fan of that.....unless it works out great of course.:LOL:
Reading between the lines you don't think Rooney is trying to come through with a promise, being that if Russ is healthy he will get a chance to prove his worth with starting? I do. Russ was told he had the stater's job if healthy. If he begins to falter, totally different story. Russ is now healthy so we shall see.

I mean I guess you have to see what your offseason plans are... signing either of these guys is gonna probably cost Daniel Jones money at a bare minimum... so you have to decide is it going to be Fields for at least a few years, or Wilson for a couple years and drafting a Replacement in a year or two...
Next year is the year to draft our new QB...

Fields had like seven issues... and four of them have been rectified in a rather short time. Some guys take time... look at Brees or hell, go look at this years passing stats...
Geno smith, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold.. Jered Goff.. all of these are legit starters after being trash early in their careers
To one degree or another. Goff was never horrid, Baker got Cleveland to the playoffs and even slobberknockered us having rung up 48 points on us. Darnold and Smith were late in getting going for sure. Fields still reminds me of a QB who is a runner 1st and thrower 2nd and those guys never truly work out unless they learn how to throw, i.e. Steve Young.

Fields seems to be accurate in the run. He has thrown some lasers on the move. The routine plays seem to be an issue. The drive he came in after being hurt was excellent. He dropped back and fired . Hard to say why it worked there but not the rest of the game.
As for Wilson I'm not sure why people act like he is a statue. He may not be as mobile as he was, but he was a shifty guy and more than capable of running if needed. I think Flacco got up to 18 or 19 mph last week. Surely Russ is as mobile as Flacco still.
Wow, Flacco had legs to get him going that fast? 19? Unbelievable. That's moving.

At this point I would give Fields until the bye week. Both winnable home games and if he doesn't play well, win or lose, go all-in on Russ during the bye giving the entire offense extra time to prepare with a new QB. I know other teams can just plug in a scrub off the street and get a brilliant performance for at least one week, but not the Steelers. Well, outside of Rudolph at the end of last season. I just somehow believe if Russ plays this week they'll be in full turtle mode.
Personally, I like the perceived strategy of starting Russ (NOW) to 'warm up', if you will, against a stout defense in the Jets and the Giants won't be a walk in the park either because their pass rush is very good too.

Based on his performance in those two games - you make the decision for QB1 when it's time to run the gauntlet...

I'm still hoping they both look above average and our playbook opens wide and the OL shines.

Meh....I am thinking Russ would be right around the same spot if he was starting all season. This offense isn't designed for 250 plus yards/Four plus passing TD games.
I agree, although Mason Rudolph had some pretty solid games last season.

Crow ain’t bad with a little salt and hot sauce.
Believe me … I know lol

My favorable opinion of Wilson is strictly predicated on his tape … including last year in Denver btw..
I like the fact that his play action yards per play is almost double what Fields is. The AS offense relies on play action.

Would also be interesting to see if this gets VJ and Muth more involved as Wilson’s past performances would suggest they will be.

The D would definitely benefit from more points and the offense needs more chunk plays.

I’m hopeful, and we’ll never know until he proves he’s still got it or not…but ya gotta try something to get the spark to ignite the engine.

The patchwork OL and old QB does give me cause for tempered expectations tho.

A side of bacon and I can choke down some crow all day!

No telling what Tomlin will allow russ to try, if anything. Russ will get sacked more than Fields. Tomlins offense does poorly when moving backwards. I'm still not expecting a high score from tomlin.
Just in case you missed the plays on Sunday...

I counted 17 points 'left on the field'.

1. Justin misses a WIDE OPEN Austin in the EZ when he scrambles left albeit he picks up the first down.
2. George should have boxed out the DB and caught the ball on the dropped TD pass from Justin.
3. Under 2 mins the Steelers are well within Boz's range and the knelt on it to kill the game.

32 + 17 = 49

32 is an above average NFL score. 49, my friend, is a high score. Raise your expectations 🤪🤪🤪

Just in case you missed the plays on Sunday...

I counted 17 points 'left on the field'.

1. Justin misses a WIDE OPEN Austin in the EZ when he scrambles left albeit he picks up the first down.
2. George should have boxed out the DB and caught the ball on the dropped TD pass from Justin.
3. Under 2 mins the Steelers are well within Boz's range and the knelt on it to kill the game.

32 + 17 = 49

32 is an above average NFL score. 49, my friend, is a high score. Raise your expectations 🤪🤪🤪
But to be fair, if you are looking at that, tgen you should also be factoring in two TD drives were sustained by borderline roughing the passer calls... so tge range of points was from 32-14 to 32+17 so it could have been anywhere from 18-49...

Justin Fields is a very good football player. He is an average QB and good backup. There is NO WAY he will ever lead this or any team to the Super Bowl unless he becomes a significantly better passer. Not happening this year. Russell is a proven winner who while old still gives this team a better chance at beating an opponent if he is healthy. This was the understanding from day one and still is.

Fields hasn’t been good. He’s been good enough to not lose games that TJ Watt wins for us.
I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "...there's NO WAY he will ever lead this or any team to the SB..."

Ask yourself, regardless of the 'orders from on high', how many turnovers/interceptions has he had in 6 games??? ONE. And that ball was batted at the LOS. His passes, and I've watched every game twice, were not perfect and he missed 3 consecutive passes on Sunday; but they were not bad.

George has dropped some gifts and a TD. Jefferson has dropped a few as well. CA3 is making the most of his opportunity and missed one perfectly thrown ball, well, not so perfect a little more air under it would have been a TD...

Justin put the offense on his back and nearly won the Dallas game. Oh yeah, he plays center too and snapped it over his own head...

Again, we have a GOOD QB problem in Pittsburgh.

Who are you considering berm?
Oh, I have my top QBs...let me dig that post up from earlier in the year...BRB

EDIT - here was my initial list:

Carson Beck, Georgia
Shedeur Sanders
Quinn Ewers
Cam Ward
Jalen Milroe

***I'm adding the QB from Ole Miss to my list - Jackson Dart

Last edited:
Oh, I have my top QBs...let me dig that post up from earlier in the year...BRB

EDIT - here was my initial list:

Carson Beck, Georgia
Shedeur Sanders
Quinn Ewers
Cam Ward
Jalen Milroe

***I'm adding the QB from Ole Miss to my list - Jackson Dart
Nice list.
Ward and Beck would be my 1-2,on your list.

Here is the kid I really like and am trying to follow his progress:

KURTIS ROURKE​

Remember that name men,