• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

I want one that can do both, if needed...

I think Justin’s passer rating is around 93-ish, I think middle of the pack.

Not sure where Russ will be, been to long since game action to know.

Salute the nation

If it were up to me, I would very reluctantly go ahead and give Wilson the nod because…..

IMG-0088.jpg

This ^. We have to know what we have in Russ. While the Jets will have numerous receivers to throw to and easily carve us up in the secondary UNLESS we can get pressure on whomever they will have available at QB, we MAY need to sustain drives on offense SOMEHOW to keep their offense off the field.

1. Fields is less likely to sustain drives with a predictable "run-first" offense with a stacked box and quality defenders, which the Jets have. Without being able to either change the play or to quickly pivot, we have seen what we will get for at least the first half. Two of his sustained drives last week were aided by roughing calls.

2. RW, if given the ok to call/change plays based on alignment will be key. He can read the field better and hopefully faster because he won't have any more time than our OL has given Fields to work with.

3. The offensive line is still "offensive" as we will be blocking more players than we have available to do so UNTIL we can establish ANY real passing threat. Teams will keep 7-9 in the box and be ready for the run and be aggressive in coming after whomever our QB is if he is running play-action. This will be an every game occurrence until we establish the ability to read coverage and deliver the ball to who is least covered.

IMO, Russ gives us more of an ability to see what/where the ball needs to do BUT with it, he may try to "squeeze" more throws which will create opportunity for turnovers. Bottom line, if we crush Rodgers/QB, we create our own and keep him from picking us apart.

Here’s a wrinkle in the decision as well. If Fields plays 51% of our snaps the Bears get a 4th round pick vs a 6th.

Sure ain’t.
All 32 teams do not have a number one capable NFL QB either.
If I had to rank him right now as compare to his peers I would rank him close to bottom third of the league.
20 to 24 range .
So Fields falls in YOUR 20 to 24 range....where does Wilson fall? Top 15? Top 10? Top 5?

Here’s a wrinkle in the decision as well. If Fields plays 51% of our snaps the Bears get a 4th round pick vs a 6th.
I didn’t know that. If I understand this correctly, Fields has played 100% of the snaps so far.
I would hate to think that starting Wilson is only intended to keep Fields “snap count “ to a minimum.

So I don’t. lol

I didn’t know that. If I understand this correctly, Fields has played 100% of the snaps so far.
I would hate to think that starting Wilson is only intended to keep Fields “snap count “ to a minimum.

So I don’t. lol
It's for the season...so, he 'could' be right...

So Fields falls in YOUR 20 to 24 range....where does Wilson fall? Top 15? Top 10? Top 5?

WhoAley ****, if Wilson is top 5, get that ****-er in there……………………..

Salute the nation

So I don’t. lol
He hasn’t played 100%. Kyle Allen played one. But what I’m saying is Fields hasn’t lit the world on fire. If Russ does the same the Steelers might consider the difference in a 4th vs 6th in weighing who plays.

My take on a few things, I know you have all been waiting in anticipation.

1. Fields has not really been lighting things up. Going with Wilson now that he is said to be healthy is the smart move on Tomlin’s part, though it could bit him in the azz too. A DECENT NFL starting QB should be able to produce 20-25 TD passes every year, or why pay them the big bucks. Fields is on pace for 14-15, not much better than Pickett was doing, and not up to the level of expectations. Starting Wilson gives them a CHANCE to improve on those numbers.

2. The team is still trying to find a competent QB, and I don’t doubt that if Wilson plays middle of the pack or better that they try to extend him for at least 2 years. Wilson would be foolish to not entertain such an offer. Without the starting opportunity, no way does he think about sticking around. They also seem to believe that they have Fields over a barrel, and may be able to sign him cheap if they choose to.

3. If I were Fields, being pulled after being 4-2 record running a BS offense that was being handicapped by the HC, I would take the first offer out of town. Just like Rudolph did after last season. If he is put back in to replace Wilson, I would recommend that he definitely leave.

4. I think I would like to see a bit more from Allen, even if it means waiting for next year. If for some reason Wilson is removed as the starter, I move Allen to #2 and give him a shot if something happens to Fields as the returning starter. Running QB’s always seem to get hurt, so he might get the chance.

5. If Wilson is playing decent, I would work Fields into a “Slash” type role. You can always dress Allen as the emergency #3 QB, when in reality he would be the B/U to Wilson. If an injury were to happen to Wilson during the game, you can decide if you want to go with Fields or not.

Typically I like using athletic QBs in slash roles... but Fields absolutely should not be... that guy has to work on his QBs almost exclusively..... i am fine with him running goaline and short yardage offenses... but as a QB

i think playing russ and see how it goes,, why not. Weve seen what fields can do. He isnt lighting it on fire through passing. He just isnt.
If wilson craps the bed. Why not put justin fields back in? Not hurting anyone.. If the guy gets pissy,, hes no better than Kenny PIcket.

It also lets the coach have more than one weapon. Maybe the line gets better and protects better. Its possible.

That said, The jets arent lighting anything on fire either offensively. Their highest score on the year is 23 points. Their two wins have been the broncos and New England.

Anything can happen but they dont impress me. Add to that AAron rogers is gimpy with an ankle. Questionable.

Give Wilson the 2 primetime games prior to our bye week. If he looks good, he stays. By good, I mean winning both games. Winning 1 out of 2 would depend on how they won and how they lost. Either way, you go into the bye with a decision moving forward this year. They really don't want to lose both players at the end of the year. If Wilson loses both games, you have to go back to Fields or truly risk losing both players.

If the Oline was the oline they thought it would be them I would say give Russel a chance. But him behind this current line is asking for trouble.

Didn't lose the team when they benched chukes. Didn't lose the team when they didn't re sign pat Pete, or Devin bush. Didn't lose the team when they cut into najees carries with Warren. Didn't lose the team when they traded dionte Johnson.
I dare say Pickens will be giddy as a school girl.

Didn't lose the team when they benched chukes. Didn't lose the team when they didn't re sign pat Pete, or Devin bush. Didn't lose the team when they cut into najees carries with Warren. Didn't lose the team when they traded dionte Johnson.
I dare say Pickens will be giddy as a school girl.
Fields threw to Pickens. If Wilson does what some here think he will able to do.....it might actually cut down on some Picken targets.