• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

I didn’t know that. If I understand this correctly, Fields has played 100% of the snaps so far.
I would hate to think that starting Wilson is only intended to keep Fields “snap count “ to a minimum.

So I don’t. lol
It isn’t. They will not base his start on that whatsoever.

This is 9 cubic yards of nonsense especially the part about shattering fields confidence. If his confidence gets shattered maybe he needs a new line of work.

"pull plug on any advancement and conviction"
Huh? What?

Where do you get this fertilizer, I need some for my farm and why not watch your words a little bit in case you have to eat them

See you back here this weekend brother
Well, let's see.

1) The Steelers did in fact score 32 points, beat the Raiders by 19, and had the ball in field goal range at the end of the game. Not nonsense.
2) Half of the teams that have played the Cowboys have not gashed their defense. Not nonsense.
3) Fields has not been terrible as a passer; he ranks in the top half of the NFL in passer rating, ahead of a guy who just signed a $220 million contract. Not nonsense.
4) Russ is almost 36 years old and coming off a leg injury, and the OL is in disarray. Not nonsense.
5) Along with his above average passer rating, Fields has made numerous plays on the ground, including five touchdowns. Not nonsense.
6) Fields was building confidence as the Steelers' starting quarterback, and benching him now is not going to help with that process going forward. Not nonsense.
If you can't acknowledge that protecting the psyche of a starting QB in the NFL is important, especially in this case, then you're being nonsensical.

So, in summation, it is you who is full of that 9 cubic yards of shlt.

I think we and the rest of the league has seen enough of Fiekds to make a sound accurate opinion of his performance as an NFL starting QB..

And that opinion is…
Fields is not a full time STARTING NFL QB.
Full stop.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the facts about Fields here in 2024 with the Steelers don't support that view.

Don't forget that Justin is still a very young QB, Chicago subverted the kid and did what that organization does, suck. I'm not sold that he's a "backup" and not a starter just yet. I'm giving the young lad more of an opportunity before I make that judgment.

Tomlin did say that Russ is number one, and he kept Russ at number one on the depth chart this whole time. Tomlin's message has been clear about this so it should come to no surprise to Justin that this move to start Russ happens the week that he's fully healthy. This shouldn't shatter his confidence at all knowing that this is the case. None of us, nor the media is going to know the communication between the QBs and the coaches, it's only speculation and drama to drum up news stories and sound bites.
You make a good point about Tomlin's message. But the reason I think it will hurt Fields is that he has played well. He was gaining confidence as the starter. Interrupting that process now is in no way going to help him going forward, no matter what kind of relationship he has built with Russ. Wilson is a rental, not a long-term answer. I wish they would have stuck with Fields, and found out if he could have been.

Ok. Fields has been good. Most would say OK. But I preface that with I do not know what they are asking him to do. Talking about the 32 points is pretty laughable. The turnovers were 3-0 and two of the drives were done but a penalties revived. If all things are equal go with Fields. He is a better athlete and his mobility is a problem. But I don't view trying to run a complete offense as a bad thing. Doesn't work. Back to Fields vs. G-spots.
Laughable? People moan and complain about the Steelers never scoring many points, then when they do, I can't talk about it? Bullshit. Yeah, they finally got a few breaks with penalty calls that went their way for a change...so what?

The jets arent lighting anything on fire either offensively. Their highest score on the year is 23 points. Their two wins have been the broncos and New England.

Anything can happen but they dont impress me. Add to that AAron rogers is gimpy with an ankle. Questionable.
Something tells me that reuniting Rodgers with Davante Adams might help the Jets' offense in some small way.

Well, let's see.

1) The Steelers did in fact score 32 points, beat the Raiders by 19, and had the ball in field goal range at the end of the game. Not nonsense.
2) Half of the teams that have played the Cowboys have not gashed their defense. Not nonsense.
3) Fields has not been terrible as a passer; he ranks in the top half of the NFL in passer rating, ahead of a guy who just signed a $220 million contract. Not nonsense.
4) Russ is almost 36 years old and coming off a leg injury, and the OL is in disarray. Not nonsense.
5) Along with his above average passer rating, Fields has made numerous plays on the ground, including five touchdowns. Not nonsense.
6) Fields was building confidence as the Steelers' starting quarterback, and benching him now is not going to help with that process going forward. Not nonsense.
If you can't acknowledge that protecting the psyche of a starting QB in the NFL is important, especially in this case, then you're being nonsensical.

I don't begrudge you your opinion but don't try to pass off your cognitive biases as fact.

"building confidence" at pro level is BS that exists in your head. A pro QB learns the playbook & executes or doesn't.

"Protecting the psyche" of a professional is more shut that exists only in your head. You can't qualify or quantify it and that's why you don't try.

"Above average" passer rating. Congratulations. Your passer rating is better than 30 other professional QB on 31 different teams using 31 different playbooks with 31 different rosters.

Wilson had a leg injury. How is this relevant? Explain yourself

Fields "building confidence" - I'll wait while you bungle all over yourself trying to quantify that.

Raiders v Cowboys - relevance? Are you implying that this game indicates something about Fields performance, ability, future? Explain yourself

So before you run that **** holster underneath your nose and make an idiot of yourself, come with more facts and less ad hominem.

Fields is a clipboard holder and I hope he continues to "build confidence" during practice so that his fragile psyche isn't negatively affected by performance based evaluation and subsequent demotion.

How did you like my summary?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the facts about Fields here in 2024 with the Steelers don't support that view.
If you're correct about Fields, he will sign a big contract and start somewhere next season. Mark your calendar so we can revisit.

If he isn't signed to start somewhere for starter money, you're wrong...again.

Fields threw to Pickens. If Wilson does what some here think he will able to do.....it might actually cut down on some Picken targets.
Fields threw a lot of poor passes at Pickens.....maybe it was poor route running, and Pickens did drop at least 3 this season.

I’m open to the move, but wish I was at those practices so as to see this “play” difference and if they are going full bore after him (Russ) during the scrimmage part of practice.

This “JETS” defense is nothing to experiment with, it is a tough asZ “D” and I hope the Russ can manipulate is properly. I also hope the OL can give him enough time to actually pass intermediate and long. Obviously those inside slants could work as well. I don’t expect much for rushing yards out of the Russ.

Salute the nation
Inside slants and tight end throws up the seem sure would be nice to see on a regular basis!

Would that back the LBs off and open up the running game too??? We can dream I guess hahaha

I agree but why isn't he starting in TN? Levis is terrible.
Exactly. The offense looked the best its looked in years with a backup QB at the helm. So far Kahn hasn't fixed a thing with QB, the line, the running game and especially WR and OC. There is an argument to be made that besides QB and punter we are equal to worse everywhere else this season.

Well, let's see.

Which all points to the Steelers having made a promise to Russ and we are gonna have to see where it takes us. We don't have a choice.

If you're correct about Fields, he will sign a big contract and start somewhere next season. Mark your calendar so we can revisit.

If he isn't signed to start somewhere for starter money, you're wrong...again.
What's you definition of "big?" I don't see him signing for $40-$50 mill a year.

the football gods will either be pleased that we've trotted out Russ after dusting him off and dipping him in BenGay.
or they'll be offended and afford an injury to Russ so that we are forced to play Fields.

do not anger nor offend the football gods.

cleveland has and does.

What's you definition of "big?" I don't see him signing for $40-$50 mill a year.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Heard interview with Fields and asked about this week u in the air. Got to give the man credit class through and through, he told reporter I have not been plying good. Think of the X Pitt 1st round BS. Fields maned up and many don't think he has been what we wanted. I still say games er lost we had the lead and the defense did not hold up. Both games lost if the defense played half of this past week we would have won. This offense with injuries and a young line what else do you expect. The Steelers back in March did not look into having a quality receiver out on the field with Pickens's. That is not on Fileds. Fields has gone out there and made some plays when needed.

I'm sure Fields doesnt want to ride the pine. The way he side-stepped any attempt to throw shade at any decision to start Russ shows he is very mature in all this.

I'm sure Fields doesnt want to ride the pine. The way he side-stepped any attempt to throw shade at any decision to start Russ shows he is very mature in all this.
Yes…I believe he understands his situation well..
This could be his last chance to earn starters money in his next deal. If Russell fails and the Steelers don’t get a QB early in draft next season, he will probably get a new contract with the team.

He is smart to not act the part of a disgruntled teammate right now.

Somebody or more than likely , somebodies raise him right.

Exactly. The offense looked the best its looked in years with a backup QB at the helm. So far Kahn hasn't fixed a thing with QB, the line, the running game and especially WR and OC. There is an argument to be made that besides QB and punter we are equal to worse everywhere else this season.
Huh? We are far better at O Line aside from injuries, QB is light years ahead of last year and will be even better IMHO when Wilson is in and utilizes our receivers better. I am not sure where we disconnected. I was referring to why isn't Mason starting in TN.

You make a good point about Tomlin's message. But the reason I think it will hurt Fields is that he has played well. He was gaining confidence as the starter. Interrupting that process now is in no way going to help him going forward, no matter what kind of relationship he has built with Russ. Wilson is a rental, not a long-term answer. I wish they would have stuck with Fields, and found out if he could have been.
He has NOT played “well”. He has 2 decent games, 2 mediocre games and 2 games less than desirable. Is this all Fields’ fault HE!! NO. The “living in their fears” play t not lose Patented Tomlin offense is largely to blame, but Fields does share some of the blame for his play. I do think he looks like they should try and resign him, while drafting a QB early to compete , while adding in Allen to the mix.

I always thought Cowher should have kept Stewart in the slash role and got a better QB, and Stewart was a better QB than Fields is right now. When I was younger and played, the coach ALWAYS made the younger QB’s play a year as WR/RB. He believed that learning the opposite skill helped them become better QB’s.

The Steelers back in March did not look into having a quality receiver out on the field with Pickens's. That is not on Fileds. Fields has gone out there and made some plays when needed.
They have a quality receiver out there with Pickens, his name is Muth. They also drafted a prospect that has been hurt. Being able or willing to use those other two guys changes everything.

Russell fails and the Steelers don’t get a QB early in draft next season, he will probably get a new contract with the team.
The Steelers have to make the decision to sign Fields LONG BEFORE the Draft even comes around, let alone plays out.

QB is light years ahead of last year and will be even better IMHO when Wilson is in and utilizes our receivers better. .
send me some of what you’re smoking. At best we are a step better at QB with a 4-2 Fields. Everyone seems to forget that KP was 7-3 in his starts.