• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sam Hartman 2024's Brock Purdy

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Really liked Hartman last year and instead of declaring for the draft he took the NIL money. Looking draft boards he is likely a 7th round pick or an UDFA but I have him as a solid 5th round pick and in 2022 I had Brock Purdy as a 5th round pick. So first lets compare them physically.

Sam HartmanBrock Purdy
Height6' 1⅛"6' 0⅝"
Weight211 lbs212 lbs
Wingspan75¼"70⅛"
Arm Length31⅜"29"
Hand Size9¾"9¼"
Hartman wins all but one category. And in weight they are pretty much the same. Neither are physically imposing QBs and if I were to compare Hartman physically to a current NFL QB it would be Baker Mayfield. So this is a big reason why he is down on so many draft boards.

Now lets look at athleticism.
Sam HartmanBrock Purdy
10-yard1.63s1.55s
40-yard4.8s4.84s
Vertical28½"27'
Broad Jump109"na
3-Cone7.19sna
20 Yard Shuttle4.34sna

Again pretty similar. Brock is a little quicker off the line and Hartman is a little faster down the road. Hartman shows a little more burst in the vertical and Brock didn't elect to compete in the rest.

Lets looks at stats. It is a little hard because Hartman is 24 and is actually older than Brock. He has played a lot more college football so I am doing averages and percentages to try to get a fair comparison.

Sam HartmanBrock Purdy
completion %
59.8​
67.7​
Y/A
8.2​
8.3​
TD %
7.06%​
5.52%​
INT %
2.58%​
2.25%​
QB Rating
147.2​
151.1​

Brock easily wins the completion percentage but Hartman has increased his accuracy every single season and last year had 63.5%. Other than that they are pretty comparable. Hartman gets the ball in the endzone a bit better but both were safe with the football and had great QB ratings.

This is a guy I would hope the Steelers would look into considering we do not have a 7th round pick and if he goes undrafted we should be calling him with a real opportunity to be the #3 QB this year with the opportunity to be the only QB on the rosters right not that has a contract past the 2024 season. Hartman's age is a negative when you look at ceiling but for our needs his experience, albeit college, gives him a pretty solid and high floor. I feel worst case scenario he would be a good back up. Here are the things I like from him in the Arthur Smith offense.

Hartman displays great poise and accuracy in the pocket. Will sit in and take a shot and step into the throw. Even when evading defenders always has his eyes down field and makes accurate throws on the run. Typically gets the ball out on time. Will get to his 2nd, 3rd and even 4th read in a clean pocket. Does a nice job looking off safeties and linebackers to create space for his receivers. Throws a nice accurate and easily catchable football and doesn't lead his receivers into defenders. Utilizes the middle of the field exceptionally well. His weaknesses are he does throw a nice deep ball but there's not a ton of arm there. I would not have him throw a lot of out routes and as you can see by watching the film his coaches did not ask him to do a lot of that. Going on 25 you have to question his upside at this point. Has improved his mechanics every year but there's room to improve still.

Very talented guy...

But was slightly disappointed in his play last season with ND...

Output was down from his previous two years at Wake and his QBR was 21st in nation....

Very talented guy...

But was slightly disappointed in his play last season with ND...

Output was down from his previous two years at Wake and his QBR was 21st in nation....
Yep, but look at what Notre Dame surrounded him with. Both leading receivers had under 500 yards. One was a TE who is projected as an UDFA and the other a freshman receiver. The strength of the team was the running game but Hartman averaged 246 yards a game and 2.4 touchdowns. ND brought him in to stabilize the offense and pepper the ball around.

Like I said I am looking at guys who are going to be on that bubble of getting drafted. I don’t want a QB early unless a Drake Maye falls to 20. I do hope we somehow pick up a 7th round pick. There’s a few guys I think have potential that likely fall out of the draft and having that 7th round pick to scoop one of them up before they can pick their team would be nice. Devin Leary and Kedon Slovis are a couple more I feel we should be interested in.

Yep, but look at what Notre Dame surrounded him with. Both leading receivers had under 500 yards. One was a TE who is projected as an UDFA and the other a freshman receiver. The strength of the team was the running game but Hartman averaged 246 yards a game and 2.4 touchdowns. ND brought him in to stabilize the offense and pepper the ball around.

Like I said I am looking at guys who are going to be on that bubble of getting drafted. I don’t want a QB early unless a Drake Maye falls to 20. I do hope we somehow pick up a 7th round pick. There’s a few guys I think have potential that likely fall out of the draft and having that 7th round pick to scoop one of them up before they can pick their team would be nice. Devin Leary and Kedon Slovis are a couple more I feel we should be interested in.
He should have boated his #s a lot vs. Pitt, Central MI, TN state, Wake, Stanford, OR State etc.

I can't see spending a pick on QB unless it's the last pick. They are installing a new offense with 2 new QBs. There aren't enough reps to go around. Wilson is the starter who needs enough reps to be able to start. Fields is the developmental QB.

Hartman is a athletic and a good fit in the offense. I can see using a last pick on him. The only other QB i can see is Jordan Travis because he's injured. He will go rounds later than his talent and it could be a great value.

Really liked Hartman last year and instead of declaring for the draft he took the NIL money. Looking draft boards he is likely a 7th round pick or an UDFA but I have him as a solid 5th round pick and in 2022 I had Brock Purdy as a 5th round pick. So first lets compare them physically.

Sam HartmanBrock Purdy
Height6' 1⅛"6' 0⅝"
Weight211 lbs212 lbs
Wingspan75¼"70⅛"
Arm Length31⅜"29"
Hand Size9¾"9¼"
Hartman wins all but one category. And in weight they are pretty much the same. Neither are physically imposing QBs and if I were to compare Hartman physically to a current NFL QB it would be Baker Mayfield. So this is a big reason why he is down on so many draft boards.

Now lets look at athleticism.
Sam HartmanBrock Purdy
10-yard1.63s1.55s
40-yard4.8s4.84s
Vertical28½"27'
Broad Jump109"na
3-Cone7.19sna
20 Yard Shuttle4.34sna

Again pretty similar. Brock is a little quicker off the line and Hartman is a little faster down the road. Hartman shows a little more burst in the vertical and Brock didn't elect to compete in the rest.

Lets looks at stats. It is a little hard because Hartman is 24 and is actually older than Brock. He has played a lot more college football so I am doing averages and percentages to try to get a fair comparison.

Sam HartmanBrock Purdy
completion %
59.8​
67.7​
Y/A
8.2​
8.3​
TD %
7.06%​
5.52%​
INT %
2.58%​
2.25%​
QB Rating
147.2​
151.1​

Brock easily wins the completion percentage but Hartman has increased his accuracy every single season and last year had 63.5%. Other than that they are pretty comparable. Hartman gets the ball in the endzone a bit better but both were safe with the football and had great QB ratings.

This is a guy I would hope the Steelers would look into considering we do not have a 7th round pick and if he goes undrafted we should be calling him with a real opportunity to be the #3 QB this year with the opportunity to be the only QB on the rosters right not that has a contract past the 2024 season. Hartman's age is a negative when you look at ceiling but for our needs his experience, albeit college, gives him a pretty solid and high floor. I feel worst case scenario he would be a good back up. Here are the things I like from him in the Arthur Smith offense.

Hartman displays great poise and accuracy in the pocket. Will sit in and take a shot and step into the throw. Even when evading defenders always has his eyes down field and makes accurate throws on the run. Typically gets the ball out on time. Will get to his 2nd, 3rd and even 4th read in a clean pocket. Does a nice job looking off safeties and linebackers to create space for his receivers. Throws a nice accurate and easily catchable football and doesn't lead his receivers into defenders. Utilizes the middle of the field exceptionally well. His weaknesses are he does throw a nice deep ball but there's not a ton of arm there. I would not have him throw a lot of out routes and as you can see by watching the film his coaches did not ask him to do a lot of that. Going on 25 you have to question his upside at this point. Has improved his mechanics every year but there's room to improve still.

Can't be any worse that thay 7th rounder we took in Colbert's last year.

As an ND fan, Hartman was a massive disappointment. He had an elite offensive line and a stellar running game. Some of his decisions when throwing the football were ******* awful. He didn't show nearly the arm strength I thought he had at Wake. Indeed, our receiving corp was not great. He still made some terrible throws for an experienced QB. He still had a pretty good season and if the DC had 11 players on the field instead of 10 in the last two plays of the game we might have beaten Ohio State.

As an ND fan, Hartman was a massive disappointment. He had an elite offensive line and a stellar running game. Some of his decisions when throwing the football were ******* awful. He didn't show nearly the arm strength I thought he had at Wake. Indeed, our receiving corp was not great. He still made some terrible throws for an experienced QB. He still had a pretty good season and if the DC had 11 players on the field instead of 10 in the last two plays of the game we might have beaten Ohio State.
I always am thankful for fan of a college teams insight. They often give a decent clear perspective.👊