• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sams Being drafted

Did Sams coming out ,, help him get drafted,, or did it hurt his draft status?

• Helped him get drafted

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Hurt his draft status

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Had no effect

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Dolphins suspended their player from team activities. The league didn't do anything yet.

While true, you don't think there was a call or two made?

Sure, and Tupac just called me from seven eleven.

This has gone past ridiculous when a player is suspended from team activities for simply tweeting "ridiculous". I'm sick and tired of this politically correct BS.

Am I the only one that was not bothered by Sam kissing his boyfriend? I was indifferent about it and only realized it was going to be a big deal when I went on-line and saw the **** storm of offended people.

Then I thought, what if you were homophobic AND racist. Now that would be cool. Which would offend you more? The gay kiss or the interracial nature of it? Or do they synergistically combine into one giant hate tornado. A hatenado.

Many of you are on your conservative pulpit. The question wasn't whether or not you were okay with gays, the question was Did Michael Sams "coming out" hurt his draft stock?

YES it did.

He already proved me right... he wasn't good enough to get drafted above the 7th... there is not a single measureable that justified a high draft pick... a random DPOY award, which is about as far from a indicator of success as you can get. He got drafted where he belonged. Let me state this again.... NFL teams do very in depth investigations of players they think they may draft. There have been gay players who were known to be gay by everyone but the public drafted before... its not like the Pis they hire aren't going to turn that up. There isn't any discrimination here... its a total non issue. The guy was a low round pick that got picked in the low rounds... not some hero. He needlessly interjected his sexual preference into the draft discussions in hopes it would propel him higher... teams weren't going to do that.

The guy might be out of the league in a year or maybe he hangs on, develops into an ok player and is a footnote in history... he was never going to be a star.

***Says the guy with no NFL experience....I guess we will have to wait and see where he ends up in a few years.

First and foremost, you don't know me personally or probably most of the people you are calling homophobic. I can assure you I am not. His "story" was just as trumped up and a non story as Johnny Manziel falling in the draft. That story was tiring as well. When is the last time any network covered a projected seventh round pick like Sam? I can tell you, never. I don't care that he is gay, had the Steelers drafted him I would have wanted him to succeed like every other player they draft. What's normal should be players being evaluated on their merits and their measurables. Once you stray from that it's no longer about football and of no interest to me when I'm watching football. It's a story for someone who needs a soapbox to climb on. I'll pass.
I'm not on a soapbox and no I don't know you from Adam, I believe as do many, that his draft stock dropped because of his coming out...before he came out he was a 3rd or 4th round projection...
He will be evaluated on his talent alone from here on out... let's see how he does. then we can talk again.

totally agree. 31 other teams didnt think he could either help them or make the position switch from DE to OLB.
Rams did. He's getting his chance, which is all anyone could ask for. Regardless of round.

Correct, exactly. He is getting his chance. That is all he can ask.

Am I the only one that was not bothered by Sam kissing his boyfriend? I was indifferent about it and only realized it was going to be a big deal when I went on-line and saw the **** storm of offended people.

Then I thought, what if you were homophobic AND racist. Now that would be cool. Which would offend you more? The gay kiss or the interracial nature of it? Or do they synergistically combine into one giant hate tornado. A hatenado.

Oh the shame of it all, a black man and a white man kissing! The hatenado ensues! LMFAO!

To paraphrase Chris Rock, he's living every black gay athlete's dream. He got a job in the NFL, and a white guy.

It hurt his draft stock. It helped point attention to just how poor his combine numbers were.

If he was Michael Sam, the DPOY who had an awful combine for some reason, someone may have taken a flier on him in the 5th. Michael Sam, the gay athlete who ran like **** at the combine got squeezed down farther.

No, it didn't. He was a borderline prospect to be drafted before he came out. Then he went out and completely BOMBED the Combine. Any player, including Sam himself before coming out, would have not been drafted. He was picked because then the Rams and the NFL can pat themselves on the back for how tolerant they are. He KNEW it would force his way to be drafted, and that's why he came out. He's too small to be a DE, and too slow to be a LB. He will not make it in the NFL.

Good point Deacon, I forgot that, he's too weak too.

Correct, exactly. He is getting his chance. That is all he can ask.

Apparently not. According to you, he must also slot into a high round to prove there is no bigotry in the NFL.

Do some film study. Compare him to other pass rushing prospects. Listen to some professional scouts. He's been far, far down the list since way before his attention-whoring announcement/plea. The guy had 9.5 sacks in his first three years. His measurables weren't just off the mark, they were awful. Here are some scouting reports from before he came out:

http://optimumscouting.com/rankings/static-rankings/de-rankings.html <-- ranked 18th among DEs, with a 6th-round grade

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...illers-scouting-notebook-for-senior-bowl-week <-- quote: "Sam enjoyed a great 2013 season, but finding a spot for him in the NFL will be more difficult than originally thought."

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/21/4767356/sam-seeks-football-identity-at.html <--quote: "Sam is the 12th-best outside pass rusher in the draft, according to ESPN’s Scouts Inc."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700418/michael-sam <-- projected in the 5th round

http://stationcaster.com/stations/wgfx/media/mp3/Greg_Cosell_with_Midday_180-1394050976.mp3 <-- Greg Cosell, arguably the most respected national scout in America, says he was nothing more than a roleplayer who will need to play special teams to stick around in the NFL.

"Compares favorably to Chargers 2009 first-round pick Larry English, an overhyped, overdrafted, marginal producer in the pros." <-- Nolan Nawrockim NFL.com

Josh Norris called him a Day-3 selection.

This stuff came out BEFORE his historically awful combine and Pro D. Even the most ***-kissing, sanctimonious, I-Heart-Michael-Sam scouting sources on Earth said he was a low-round pick at best:

"Sam (6-foot-1 5/8, 261) earned 2013 co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year on the strength of 19 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles. Despite a productive college track record, Sam is short on athleticism with a 4.91 forty time and 25 1/2-inch vertical. His low draft position is much more the result of limited attributes than his sexual orientation. Sam's upside is a sub-package pass rusher who plays around 20 snaps per game." - Rotoworld

"Sam must show scouts that he has enough blue-chip qualities to merit consideration in the later rounds," wrote Brooks. "Sam must show more smoothness and fluidity executing turns/transitions as an outside linebacker or impress scouts with his first-step quickness and burst." - Bucky Brooks, NFL.com

"He needs to jump better than that at his Pro Day or I think it's a real chance, you're talking about (a) seventh-round pick, possibly even going undrafted." - Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com

"It could be argued that Sam is the fourth-best pass rush prospect on the Tigers... If Sam can show that at the combine (his film indicates he will not) then he has potential to make it on the next level... A majority of his production came in three games against inferior competition without a need to show much of a pass-rushing repertoire. He doesn’t show much of what the NFL looks for on special teams, and it’s difficult to project a position for him on the next level. For those reasons, Sam would project to be no better than a mid- to late-round pick. He could go undrafted. To my eyes Sam is decidedly average, with nothing exceptional about his game—though he will be helped by the fact that this draft is not deep with pass rushers, and those are always needed.

Please, please STFU before you know what you're saying.

I think something that should be considered is that perhaps his poor combine does not reflect his true athleticism. If this is at all the case though, it points to another problem, namely his poor preparation and training. He had to have known that all eyes were going to be on him at the combine. If he was still not ready and/or didn't take that seriously? It's another knock on him that would affect his draft stock.

He was drafted by the LA (California) Rams................What does that tell ya?

If it is not a big deal then why is every paper, sports talk site blowing this out of the water? I still believe when he wasn't picked and Pro Talk and ESPN began yelling foul, that God-Del did some phone calls to the teams left to pick. My question was there someone else that did not get picked because Sam's was picked only on being Gay? What do they call that??

One of my fondest memories happened in Pittsburgh.

Supe kissed me, with tongue, than Dave joined in. Wont go into detail but it was a moving experience

One of my fondest memories happened in Pittsburgh.

Supe kissed me, with tongue, than Dave joined in. Wont go into detail but it was a moving experience

by "moving" do you mean "stomach churning" or "bowel moving"? Nevermind, i dont want to know...

I'm sorry if I offend yinz but I'm not only a racist but an admitted homophobe too. It is against everything I have ever been taught both at home and in my religious teachings. To me it's not only sickening but an affront to decent society and a major player in the spread of aids.

That being said, the Country seems to be changing and people like me are being suppressed and labeled as haters. I don't hate them, just don't believe in their 'cause' and as a result..don't really give a **** if he does good or not. Politics has now entered the NFL locker room...congrats !

I read what you wrote, and had to read it again How could you write that?

I'm stunned...

It's youns!

Interesting phrase homophobe, implies fear of ****'s. A political correct misrepresentation of a dislike for an act or of a thing. I do not agree with the **** life style support it or in any way think it is acceptable behavior. I am not afraid of it. I do not like vomit either, nor am I afraid of that. I do not discriminate toward anyone regardless of any of their physical traits or tendencies they are what they are. To imply that everyone that does not favor something is afraid of it is nuts. To think someone will be prejudiced and discriminate against another because they do not like something about them is also nuts. It can happen but that does not mean it will. To assume that someone is both a racist and homophobe because they are not on board with the lifestyle of another that they may find disgusting is simply pathetic and shows a total lack of understanding on the part of the individual with those beliefs.There must be some reason that so many racists are members of a minority.

No, it didn't. He was a borderline prospect to be drafted before he came out. Then he went out and completely BOMBED the Combine. Any player, including Sam himself before coming out, would have not been drafted. He was picked because then the Rams and the NFL can pat themselves on the back for how tolerant they are. He KNEW it would force his way to be drafted, and that's why he came out. He's too small to be a DE, and too slow to be a LB. He will not make it in the NFL.

Nail, meet Hammer!!!!!!

Salute the nation

Steelers sign Sams roommate from Missouri as an undrafted free agent.

Mizzou TE Eric Waters is signing with Pittsburgh as an undrafted free agent.
6:20 PM - 10 May 2014 from a comment section on one of the sports pages.

One interesting note of Waters, he was Michael Sam's roommate at Missouri, Let the jokes begin He is a tight end, or was.