• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Shaun King Joins Locked On Steelers Podcast – Triples Down on Watson Rumors

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This morning our friend Chris Carter interviewed former NFL quarterback, Shaun King on his daily podcast, Locked On Steelers. King of course rocked SteelerNation late yesterday afternoon when he dropped the news that the Steelers and Deshaun Watson have mutual interest, and Watson would prefer to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022.

No we have covered this topic from the beginning, and if this is the first time you’re hearing of this rumor, you can get caught up by reading either of these two stories.

King Stands By Report That Steelers Will Acquire QB Watson
WATCH – Shaun King Calls Pittsburgh Deshaun Watson’s Preferred Destination

Now King and Carter got right into it on this episode of Locked on Steelers because everyone wants to know. Is Watson coming to Pittsburgh? This is what King had to say:

“Well just let me say that I have a vary unique space that I occupy in the broadcasting realm, in that I played, coached, and that I have been a broadcaster. So I have a very very extensive network of sources and you know lets just say I’ve heard on good authority and I stand by my tweet… if things go right on Friday for Deshaun Watson, that there is mutual interest on both sides on making Deshaun Watson the next quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Now to keep it in context, this is the National Football League, nothing is 100% done until it’s actually complete.”

“I stand by that report, I’m a big fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Mike Tomlin.”

Carter asked King his thoughts on Pittsburgh Post Gazette beat writer Gerry Dulac, and much of SteelerNation immediately coming out and saying these reports were false, and ‘never going to happen’.

“Well I just think when you said never and not in the realm of possibilities that’s a dangerous line to take when you’re dealing with the national football league.”

King would go on to say that he’s not paid to break stories, so he has no horse in the race. Which he is correct. He’s getting some media coverage, and some action on some tweets. But I seriously doubt he’s gained many followers, and you don’t get paid for engagement on tweets like that. So King doesn’t have any reason to make something up.

“I’m not paid to break news so when I post something it’s from a reliable source and it’s legitimate,” King would continue on. “This isn’t just me throwing something out into the stratosphere. This isn’t me trying to get clickbait like I have it from a reliable source that if things go well Friday that there is mutual interest to make Deshaun Watson the next quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

If there ends up being no clarity to the Watson situation after Friday, King says the Steelers will have to make a decision.

“Do we [Steelers] wait on Deshaun Watson or do we go on with plan B. And sometimes that happens as well.”

King said he believes that a trade for Watson would come at the same price tag as Russell Wilson. He said that the Steelers could lessen the blow of draft compensation by adding in players of better caliber than Drew Lock, and Noah Fant, neither of which would be considered super stars. There isn’t a whole lot of players on the roster that the Steelers could afford to lose. The first name that comes to mind is Chase Claypool, but losing him along with free agents JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, and Ray-Ray McCloud wouldn’t give Watson much chance to succeed even if he did arrive in Pittsburgh.

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow at Watson’s Grand Jury hearing. The likelihood of nothing changing on Friday is very real, but if Watson does get good news on Friday.. look out.

WATCH THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW WITH SHAUN KING AND CHRIS CARTER HERE

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..