• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So here we are again...

Ron Cook once said that only 2 things can motivate Rooney to act. Money, or embarrassment. The booing or chants to fire Tomlin would be embarrassment.

If good leaders surround themselves with the “right people” I’d argue Shades is definitely NOT a good leader then

He surrounds himself with Dolts

Maybe he’s just a likable guy to players that they enjoy playing for and sometimes show up for since their are obviously no consequences for phoning things in
I agree, probably an ego thing

Ron Cook once said that only 2 things can motivate Rooney to act. Money, or embarrassment. The booing or chants to fire Tomlin would be embarrassment.
I doubt it seriously..

Not that I’m in the fire Tomlin corner but if fans chanted that, I feel that would make Rooney even more defiant..

He seems to be the type…

Last edited:
Yardage success...not things like the tackle in Indy, running for first downs. Things like that.

Also, the blatant reason for yardage being a terrible metric is YAC. The QB gets credit for yards after catch which he has almost nothing to do with(yeah you can argue ball placement etc.)...and no one was better at YAC than AB. So as a stat it skews perception.
Well that's easy, just look at AB's stats without Ben. Then look at how many other WR's had career years when they played with Ben.

I doubt it seriously..

Not that I’m on the fire Tomlin corner but if fans chanted that, I feel that would make Rooney even more defiant..

He seems to be the type…
Well, he is an attorney. Most of them don't go down easy.

Look at AB's mental state after he left here. Just all the court stuff and incidents. Players when they leave a team sometimes step into a different situation that affects their numbers(personal life wise, business wise, offensive scheme wise, roster position wise, age and injuries wise) the whole "Steelers know when to part ways" myth is just that, a myth. Players have come here and stunk it up and players have come here and excelled as well. Just like they've done both of those things when they've left here dependent on situation.

Last edited:
AB’s issues continued to get worse every year, until he left, then even more so after that. I truly believe that he will eventually be found to have suffered from CTE, and his progression was much faster than typical. I don’t think he was/is in complete control of his actions. Yes, he seemed to always be this way, but to a lesser extent earlier. The brain trauma just put the pedal to the floor.

AB’s issues continued to get worse every year, until he left, then even more so after that. I truly believe that he will eventually be found to have suffered from CTE, and his progression was much faster than typical. I don’t think he was/is in complete control of his actions. Yes, he seemed to always be this way, but to a lesser extent earlier. The brain trauma just put the pedal to the floor.

AB went from just being an ******* to being a major *******. It without a doubt got accelerated from a couple of big KO,s on the field.

AB went from just being an ******* to being a major *******. It without a doubt got accelerated from a couple of big KO,s on the field.
He was the hardest working Steeler for years. During a few year span, everytime I would be at training camp he would be the last guy on the field. assuming it was like that most of the time. He just went crazy. sucks

He was the hardest working Steeler for years. During a few year span, everytime I would be at training camp he would be the last guy on the field. assuming it was like that most of the time. He just went crazy. sucks

He definitely was. I'd never question that man's worth ethic or talent. He was well on his way to being one of the best NFL wide receivers ever. Who knows what records he could have broken.

I stand corrected...memory is fading. And I never said Ben's success is solely because of everyone else. His career yardage though has a lot to do with the AB years. Schuster had a little over 100 yards more than AB that year. And that was the year AB was coming apart at the seams mentally, so your point isn't really a point. To have two great wide outs (one that had he not lost it would have been the GOAT)and yet want to only give credit to the QB is what's really funny.
JuJu is hardly a "great wideout." 2018 was a career year and his only 1000-yard season. 3 of his other 6 years, he's had well under 600 yards. Not great.

If anything, AB should get most of the credit for JuJu's solid rookie year and excellent sophomore campaign, because Brown was on the other side drawing coverage.

I agree, probably an ego thing
The maddening thing is that when his dudes want to play for him they show they can but just seems like they are unchallenged at times and allowed to go stagnant.

He’s got that “it” factor in there but “it” doesn’t show consistently and you’re probably right about the ego thing

Look at AB's mental state after he left here. Just all the court stuff and incidents. Players when they leave a team sometimes step into a different situation that affects their numbers(personal life wise, business wise, offensive scheme wise, roster position wise, age and injuries wise) the whole "Steelers know when to part ways" myth is just that, a myth. Players have come here and stunk it up and players have come here and excelled as well. Just like they've done both of those things when they've left here dependent on situation.
After he left? Haha

So here we are again 10-7. I will take it.

So here we are again 10-7. I will take it.
Nope no way

Yes they played well today, yes it was enjoyable to watch

Another year needing help to get the last playoff spot

Another year of sub standard offense

Another year of poor roster management (Harvin has a job, Rudy was 3rd string now showing to be our best QB, Pickens usage)

TJ Watt is in his 7th year with 0 playoff wins, we have almost wasted his prime years

The obligatory 2 terrible losses to crap teams to ruin playoff hopes

we used to expect more of this team, Tomlin is a master of lowering expectations

Because when he was playoff productive was when he was still mobile. Remember in the jags playoff game where he threw like 4 picks early? He could no longer "scramble" receivers open. When you took away that part of his game he wasn't the same. He didn't start off as a pocket passer/great scheme QB, and even though he evolved partly into one with Haley's help it still came back to haunt him late. He was what he was...doesn't matter how many yards he threw for, those between the ears deficiencies could no longer be compensated for with athletic ability. Brady or Rodgers he never was.

And many, many, of those yards have more to do with AB than Ben. I know that's not popular to say, but the truth seldom is.
Weird. Cause I don't remember the great AB ever being the dominant player he was in Pittsburgh.

He had a good year in Tampa, but it wasn't an AB year.

And then, AB was never heard from again...

I stand corrected...memory is fading. And I never said Ben's success is solely because of everyone else. His career yardage though has a lot to do with the AB years. Schuster had a little over 100 yards more than AB that year. And that was the year AB was coming apart at the seams mentally, so your point isn't really a point. To have two great wide outs (one that had he not lost it would have been the GOAT)and yet want to only give credit to the QB is what's really funny.
Mike Wallace
Antonio Holmes
Antonio Brown
Juju Smith Schuster
Pothead
Mapletron
Diontae Johnson

(List of guys whose careers peaked with Ben Roethlisberger.)

Emmanuel Sanders

(List of guy whose career improved post Ben Roethlisberger.)

AB was great. Truly great.

He was at his best (like most former Steeler receivers) when Ben Roethlisberger was padding HIS stats. Not the other way around.

Mike Wallace
Antonio Holmes
Antonio Brown
Juju Smith Schuster
Pothead
Mapletron
Diontae Johnson

(List of guys whose careers peaked with Ben Roethlisberger.)

Emmanuel Sanders

(List of guy whose career improved post Ben Roethlisberger.)

AB was great. Truly great.

He was at his best (like most former Steeler receivers) when Ben Roethlisberger was padding HIS stats. Not the other way around.
I guess you missed the comment here right below yours where I address that.

Again: It's just mythology

Wallace went on to do fine having very close to multiple 1000 yard seasons (missed by 30 to 100 yards)with the Dolphins, the Vikings, then going over 1000 and 800 with the Ravens. He then went to Philly where he succumbed to injuries and retired.

Ju Ju injured his last 2 or 3 seasons with Steelers so they decide to part ways traded to Chiefs where he put up 933 yards and helped win a Super Bowl. Signed with Pats* this year 3 years 33 million has only 260+ yards...but hey it's that horrid Pats* offense. Still he comes into Pittsburgh and hangs almost 100 on his former team a few weeks ago.

I'm not addressing all the other guys you mention as I'm not doing all that research but just off the top of my head..

Holmes...all kinds of problems with the law( see my quote above) who knows what his mental state was like being traded and going to a bad team. A poor man's AB.

Claypool...is Claypool , yeah he started here with a couple of good seasons as he was new, made some money and then his lack of effort and brattiness elsewhere took over. Many guys behave this way all over the league.

AB........enough said.

Dionte Johnson=Canada....enough said.

Again...the Big Ben "made" receivers is B.S. The game itself and in life situations combined with a different attitude and injury recovery when you are younger say otherwise.

Last edited:
Gild you can't keep stealing people's fantasies let them dream & be happy
Mind you I love Ben (the player not the person... let's not go there)as much as the next guy, but the worship of him by some is really silly. Dude was an incredible athlete and fun to watch, but had deep flaws in his game that in later years let me know we would never win a Super Bowl with him again.. precisely right after 2010. I stated it on this board and was flamed for saying it. Held up till his retirement.

Of course there are other factors team wise/ coaching wise to not getting to a Super Bowl, but I'll just do a Wig and lay it all at Ben's feet.

Last edited:
Complete agreement was hoping he'd get traded for picks in 18 and sick to my stomach while they held on to him. He was a cancer. It's just who he is.

I'm Batman.
Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it...