• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

starting QB next week?

Plays have to be called that allow your QB to put the ball into the EZ. Maybe they will let Wilson actually throw the football into the EZ. Not something we get from our play calling since Ben was here. The coaching staff is afraid of the dreaded TO. So they run low risk plays. Maybe if Wilson is in there they open every up a bit in the passing game.
You read my mind. How much of it is how much leash they want to give Fields? Then you have the new OC/ first game of the season part of it. One things for sure, it's going to be an interesting season. Then at the end of the year if Wilson shows he can still ball out while Fields also shows in limited play time that he has the potential Chicago squandered...you've got another interesting and tough problem come contract time.

You read my mind. How much of it is how much leash they want to give Fields? Then you have the new OC/ first game of the season part of it. One things for sure, it's going to be an interesting season. Then at the end of the year if Wilson shows he can still ball out while Fields also shows in limited play time that he has the potential Chicago squandered...you've got another interesting and tough problem come contract time.
Pretty sure that's why Fields has apparently overtaken the pole position-they would like to avoid the tough problem come contract time

Fields could actually be the future negating the need for an early pick on a QB whereas OldeRuss maybe, just might, could be the now but definitely not the future as his skills continue to diminish

I know who isn't starting: Rudy or KP

That's enough for me. That "playoff" game is very fresh in my memory from QB play to Minkah taking plays off

Fields could actually be the future negating the need for an early pick on a QB

Sure if he could read a defense , And make accurate throws. But being year 4 for him in the NFL, exactly when do you think the light will come on? How bout when you think it might flicker a lil?

Sure if he could read a defense , And make accurate throws. But being year 4 for him in the NFL, exactly when do you think the light will come on? How bout when you think it might flicker a lil?
not sure it ever will...jury is still out imo
but Chicago has never been known to develop any QB
He may just do it though, maybe not
Certainly aren't going to know the answer to that question after 1 game with us tho

Maybe between our old qb coach and our new qb coach Fields is learning to better read defenses?

Certainly aren't going to know the answer to that question after 1 game with us tho
Also as someone mentioned earlier....this is Fields 4th OC in 4 years. That certainly can't help.

Also as someone mentioned earlier....this is Fields 4th OC in 4 years. That certainly can't help.
Looking at those 3 Bears OCs Getsy, Lazor and Helfrich makes ya wonder how he did as well as he had.

3 dudes that 95% of avid fans have never even heard of…

Smith has to look like a savant comparatively speaking

Wilson can run too, not like Fields, but he isn’t Kent Graham back there. I’d like to see what Wilson can do if he’s healthy. Fields didn’t really spread the ball around, seemed like the vast majority of his downfield passes targeted Pickens,
That was by design. Fields threw mainly outs and ups. Smith had him manage the game. I think he did a good job in that role. There were no turnovers and two nice passes to Pickens downfield. That OPI just like T.J. Watt's offside was horseshit. I would start Wilson and have several RPO packages set up for Fields. Just because he doesn't start shouldn't mean you don't take advantage of his skillset.

Because he was fully suited on the sidelines and was able to play if Fields would have been injured.

It’s a calf strain not an MCL. They want to see what Fields can do. I get it. Kenny set them back 5 years and that’s if a drafted QB ends up becoming good. If they can somehow get Fields to play up to his physical potential then that is a complete game changer.

Wilson is a known commodity. But he’s not winning a Super Bowl with this team. He might be able to win us a playoff game. But that is about it.
Kenny only set them back three years. Two years as the QB and had a good enough season last year they weren't in position to get a QB this year.

This is the year. The investment must show signs of life or he may be reduced to a career back-up that matures later in his career.

Salute the nation

I got a bad feeling that Tomlin is going to screw up the quarterback situation.
Not sure why you get that feeling at all based on this season.

What I’ve seen is a master handling this quarterback situation…

Early in the week he named his starter. He’s putting pressure on Russ…Tomlin like the rest of America, wants to see what Fields can do…

He’s trying to win a damn football game & at the same time he’s putting Russ on notice

I love this competition…

Funny part is if Pickett didn't bail he would be starting. If he did well he might have kept Russ from seeing the field. Currently I still think Russ is QB1 this year. When healthy he should start. Fields will have the edge for QB1 next year

What QB not named Bradshaw or Roethlisberger have we ever developed?

What QB not named Bradshaw or Roethlisberger have we ever developed?
Those guys both had talent
You either have talent or ya dont

I’m not sure they ever “developed” a QB

And most certainly didn’t assert they would develop Fields

Simply said maybe and jury still
Out as he does have both athletic ability and arm talent

Those guys both had talent
You either have talent or ya dont

I’m not sure they ever “developed” a QB

And most certainly didn’t assert they would develop Fields

Simply said maybe and jury still
Out as he does have both athletic ability and arm talent

“Manage” might be a better word to fit this franchise and QBS.

Salute the nation

Dulac on the PG is saying his sources are telling him Fields is going to start the next 2 games. He goes on to talk about the drama this will cause if the Steelers somehow win the next 2 games and start 3-0. Drama baby!