• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation Draft Show: Day 2!

Yeah 11 yrs ago when Ben had two feet a metatarsal ligament and 2 kneecaps, extending plays. I hope friermuth can run the statue of liberty for yardage.
Well at least he can block. Can't wait to see friermuth splitting snaps and attpts with Eric ebron.
I'm sure the Steeler FO knows much more about the status of the OL that us internet front office gurus.

Ebron isn’t the long term answer. Value was there and a need. Must feel they can get a center and tackle later
Actually, Colbert was hinting at these moves during his/Tomlin's draft presser. "Tackle class is deep". "Center class is deep". We (I mean "I"), just took it to mean it was deep and he was happy to take one of the top ones of either, or, or each. He meant "They're deep and we won't be in a hurry to grab one of either, or, or each until later in the draft."

This is it. As much as I think the Steelers need a starting LT, they signed a number of guys who can play T/G and it seemed like there was no urgency to address the position. Colbert flat out said center was a deep position in the draft and they could get a starter later in the draft. I hope it's in the next round.

Banner won the RT job and got hurt. We know they like him. They like Finney too. They may not think he's great but i think they view him as good enough. I have read that Chukes says he plays better at LT than RT. Maybe the steelers agree with that and think he will be good enough at LT.

The wildcard too is Canada. His scheme actually takes blocking into account, unlike Fichtner's darts at a board playcalling. Canada may have told the steelers that he doesn't need great, he just needs decent at OL because his scheme has lots of play action that helps a lot.

I do consider Freiermuth a pick for the OL. They have not had a blocking TE since James left. Freiermuth is not a mauler but he's physical and does have upside to become a good inline blocker.

TE is very think in this draft. There are almost no TEs that can both block and be an above average receiver. Freiermuth may be the only one really. Pitts is pretty much a WR. A guy like Tremble is more of an H Back with questionable hands.

Al has been abysmal for 2 years now. If that is the plan, Ben will be in deep ****
I just don't get the continued pining for Al. He HAS been in decline for two years and he isn't going to get better at his age. I think they believe Chuks gives them at least the same level of play as Al did; with the probability that his play improves after a year of playing and an off season to work on his weaknesses. This is a prove it year for him in terms of a 2nd contract either in Pittsburgh or somewhere else, so he should be motivated to show that improvement.
NO to Big Al!!

Why read up when I've watched every game he played at PSU. There were times he was the only option Clifford had to throw and he still performed. He was originally going to skip 2020 like Parsons because of COVID but still played....when he got the shoulder injury he shut it down and I don't blame him.

Freiermuth was actually eligible for last year's draft and he came back. The injury does not concern me. It was a shoulder, not a knee, and he was injured mid-season so he should be fine.

I love Freiermuth. He was not a big time recruit but he showed up and made impact plays as a freshman. Penn State's WRs have been terrible the last few years. In 2019 they had Hamler who was good anf PF was the #2 threat. Last year, the WRs were awful until Dotson stepped up later in the year. PF was basically the main focus of the defense. They split him out wide quite a bit.

What i like is that he has a natural feel for the passing game. He knows how to find the open spot when his QB is in trouble.

Myers to the Packers

Aaaand there's another center off the board lol

I just don't get the continued pining for Al. He HAS been in decline for two years and he isn't going to get better at his age. I think they believe Chuks gives them at least the same level of play as Al did; with the probability that his play improves after a year of playing and an off season to work on his weaknesses. This is a prove it year for him in terms of a 2nd contract either in Pittsburgh or somewhere else, so he should be motivated to show that improvement.
NO to Big Al!!

That's my thoughts. Al was pretty bad last year so Chukes playing at least to that level is not a stretch. They could still use a LT prospect for competition.

The Steelers have downgraded at LT, C, and have a ? at RT. It was the 31st worst run blocking unit last year and the QB had to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds on 5-yard routes to save the OL in pass protection. No talent added to this area yet. Those are my concerns right now even though we found future starters at RB and TE.
If we were the 31st rushing team is it still considered a downgrade?

Reactions: GMC
Touche.
Soooo, plenty of Penn State homers around here. Can this guy block at all?

He's above average. PSU split him out wide a lot because they were thin at WR. He's physical and does not shy away from contact. Most college TEs coming out are awful blockers. Compared to most college TEs, Freiermuth is a great blocker. I think that's why he was the pick, because it's so hard to find a TE that can block at all. Most now want to be WRs. And the ones that are great blockers tend to be more like tackle eligibles and have stone hands

I tell you there is often players who need to come off the field or are limited in some way form or fashion. Najee and Pat have none of those weaknesses. They can block, they can catch. One can run well inside or outside. One can catch in the slot or put him wide like Ebron. The thing is this kid won't have the dropsees. Neither kid. You have two first round talent complete physical football players. If you zoom in on this there is plenty to be excited about.

Kyle Trask to the Bucs. Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief, right?

I'd actually like the steelers to take another TE ion RD 6 or 7. Take more of an H back type to pair with Freiermuth. Maybe McKitty from GA

I tell you there is often players who need to come off the field or are limited in some way form or fashion. Najee and Pat have none of those weaknesses. They can block, they can catch. One can run well inside or outside. One can catch in the slot or put him wide like Ebron. The thing is this kid won't have the dropsees. Neither kid. You have two first round talent complete physical football players. If you zoom in on this there is plenty to be excited about.
I agree to an extent, but are the steelers going to use 2 TEs this year enough to justify the pick? I doubt they will take Ebron off the field much so we would have to take JuJu, DJ, or Claypool off the field to get Pat on. With Ben probably only having this year left I think we need immediate help on the Oline to have any shot

The best thing Freiermuth does is the sneaky things. Lots of big plays for TEs are plays where they pretend to block then leak out on a route. Freiermuth is great at selling those plays.

Rich Eisen questioning Houston taking a QB. Could it be because Watson might be going to jail? What a jackass.

I agree to an extent, but are the steelers going to use 2 TEs this year enough to justify the pick? I doubt they will take Ebron off the field much so we would have to take JuJu, DJ, or Claypool off the field to get Pat on. With Ben probably only having this year left I think we need immediate help on the Oline to have any shot
They love using two TE sets. But didn't have the talent to use it often. They do now. McDonald faded after injuries. I expect Pat to be on the field a lot. With his physical ability you sit Ebron in certain situations not him.