• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers at Chiefs: 3 Things to Keep an Eye On (Wild Card Edition)

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers captured another close victory by defeating the Baltimore Ravens 16-13 in overtime off the leg of Chris Boswell. With their backs against the wall, the Steelers fought like hell to put themselves in position to snag the 7th seed in the AFC playoff picture at 9-7-1. QB Ben Roethlisberger finished 30-44 for 244 yards with 1 touchdown and 1 interception. Chase Claypool led the team in rushing with 3 carries for 33 yards, and rookie TE Pat Freiermuth led the team in receiving with 6 receptions for 53 yards on the day. Not the most impressive stat sheet for the offensive side of things, but they got the job done, and that has been the story of the season in this team’s winning performances. After a stunning Jacksonville Jaguars win against the Indianapolis Colts, the Steelers only had to wait on the result of the Los Angeles Chargers- Las Vegas Raiders matchup and root for anything but a tie. After an emotional rollercoaster of Sunday football, the Raiders took the clock all the way down to 2 seconds left in OT and called a timeout to kick a potential game-winning field goal. We were all watching like Big Ben in the video below. The Steelers at 9-7-1 go into Wild Card weekend on the road as the 7th seed to take on the 2nd seeded Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday Night Football. Can the Steelers keep Big Ben’s career alive and move into the Divisional Round?

I promise you, Sunday night was the only time you will ever see Ben Roethlisberger do this. pic.twitter.com/7LQhknxn2q

— Bart Millard (@BartMillard) January 12, 2022

Last week in review

The 3 things I noted to keep an eye on last week were:

1) Final Regular Season Game for Roethlisberger; Can he get the job done one more time?

Can our future first ballot Hall of Fame QB still get the job done? With the season on the line in overtime last week against the Ravens; the quarterback completed passes on 3rd and 7, 3rd and 9, and 4th and 8. In the most crucial point of the game, Big Ben led the Steelers down the field from their own 17-yard line for a 15 play-65-yard drive that ended with a GW Boswell field goal. Safe to say, 7 can still get the job done. Can he do the improbable and do it once again against the 2nd seeded Chiefs?

2) Chasing Strahan!

We were all on TJ Watt watch last week with the DPOY front runner within 1 sack of tying New York Giants’ legend Michael Strahan (22.5 sacks) for the NFL single-season sacks record. Watt officially only collected the 1 sack to tie the record, but we can all agree that he collected another on the Ravens’ first offensive possession when QB Tyler Huntley “aborted” the play. I hate to be THAT guy, but that play was no more aborted than Strahan’s 22.5 “sack” on Brett Favre to set the record. No matter the ruling on that play, the Steelers’ superstar outside linebacker’s name has been etched into the NFL History books. And he only did it in 15 games played this season due to injury.

3) Further Improvement of the Offensive line

Well, a lot of us were looking for the Steelers to run the ball a little more and with a little more efficiency than they did. The Steelers’ leading rusher on Sunday was a receiver and not Najee Harris. Harris ended up injuring his elbow in the game and missed some time before eventually coming back into the game to help the Steelers capture victory. Benny Snell Jr. actually led the Steelers in carries last week having one more than Harris’ 11 on the day. The Steelers offensive line did keep Roethlisberger clean for the most part of the game, only giving up 1 sack. Don’t worry Steeler fans, Harris was removed from the Steelers’ most recent injury report and will play tonight against the Chiefs!

Let’s take a look at 3 things we should watch for against the Chiefs:

1) Return of Juju

WR Juju Smith-Schuster announced earlier via Twitter that he will return to the field tonight to give the Steelers’ offense a much needed a shot in the arm. The receiver hasn’t played since Week 5 when he injured his shoulder and was ruled out for the season and placed on IR. No matter how many snaps he plays, Smith-Schuster gives this offense and Big Ben another weapon to help move the ball on offense. Juju can provide a spark in the run game as well with his exceptional blocking skills. He probably won’t be 100%, but there’s not a doubt in my mind that he won’t come out and provide 100% effort and play physically, which is something this offense can use.

God answered my prayers & I’ve recovered from my season-ending shoulder injury earlier than expected. I can’t believe I get another chance to take the field with this team and play in a playoff game to keep our season alive. Steelers Nation, #HereWeGo! pic.twitter.com/SdAKl3SrYx

— JuJu Smith-Schuster (@TeamJuJu) January 15, 2022

2) Playing Loosely: “Counted out” mentality

The Steelers love to be in the underdog role; they just embrace it. Big Ben said this past week, “We don’t have a chance, so let’s just go in and have fun.” The quarterback is right, they’re probably not supposed to be there, but they are. They made it to the dance, it’s a brand new season! The Steelers always seem to be most prepared and play the biggest in these types of situations. The whole country is counting them out besides Steeler Nation. Chiefs fans are even circulating Big Ben retirement party flyers on social media platforms. If the Steelers can make this game ugly, they’ll have a chance tonight. I expect to see some more late game heroics from Big Ben to continue the trend of 2021-22 Steelers’ winning performances.

"We don’t have a chance, so let’s just go in and have fun."

—Ben Roethlisberger on the Steelers' playoff game vs. the Chiefs

(via @steelers) pic.twitter.com/ajZJkG0PSk

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 12, 2022

3) Keep the Chiefs Off the Field; Force Turnovers

The Steelers’ defense hasn’t had much of a chance to rest this season, due to the offense not being able to sustain drives. For the Steelers to have a chance in this game, the defense will have to force turnovers and the offense needs to sustain drives to control the time of possession. The fewer times Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, and Travis Kelce are on the field the better. I expect to see the Steelers defense’ clawing after the ball any chance they get and taking chances on passes in the air to force interceptions. Although he doesn’t make many, the Steelers need to get pressure on Mahomes and force him into making mistakes. The quarterback hasn’t been invincible this year and has turned the ball over 15 times. The Steelers’ defense also needs a Defensive Player of the Year type- performance from Watt tonight. I expect to see at least 2 sacks from the DPOY front runner!

What do you think, Steeler Nation? What should we watch for in the Wild Card Matchup on Sunday Night Football against the Chiefs? Sound off in the comment section below on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..