• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Have A Deal In Place For Brandon Aiyuk

Hopefully, in late April when the Steelers are making their 2nd and 3rd round picks, we’re all having a good laugh at what wasn’t.

Hopefully, in late April when the Steelers are making their 2nd and 3rd round picks, we’re all having a good laugh at what wasn’t.
Perhaps. But the room still needs a WR for this season.

Steelers rumors

A. The Cleveland debacle the next few years is hilarious.. i think they have less cap over the next 4 seasons than anyone else by a mile... when these guys they keep pushing out age out and must be cut or retire, they are gonna have a total meltdown...

B. in the CBA, it lists penalties for holding out while under contract in the season...like BA is apparently idiotically trying to do... it starts with a paltry fine and escalates to 45 grand a day iirc... it also allows teams to suspend them without pay for 4 games...

But the thing i dont understand is it says the league can penalize them 1 year accrued towards UFA status... I cant find a clarification if that means they have to play on the same contract the next season, or if they just become a RFA instead of a UFA...

Kicking Watson’s contract down the road is eclipsing the perceived cap increases for the next few years. I think Haslam, is getting antsy.

The “penalty” is that unless Ayiuk didn’t sign, or didn’t report in before game six (or it may be eight now) the he loses the accrued year (2024) and his accrued year is tolled. So he doesn’t gain another year of tenure, he would have been right back to what where he was on March 3 2024.

A lot of teams have wasted a lot more players without the franchise wind we have had. Wins don't grow on trees. Ask the Browns and Bengals and Lions what wasting players is like. The Lions wasted one of the best ever in Sanders……

Don’t forget Megatron. Like Sanders, his desire to play was worn down after so many years of non-direction.

Perhaps. But the room still needs a WR for this season.
We ride with who we have. As we always have. We will need players to have special seasons....but usually SB teams have a few players that have those.

A lot of teams have wasted a lot more players without the franchise wind we have had. Wins don't grow on trees. Ask the Browns and Bengals and Lions what wasting players is like. The Lions wasted one of the best ever in Sanders. I have gotten to witness 8 Super Bowls over 5 decades and with every coach we have had since I was born. I have only seen us play one game in 18 years in which we were eliminated from the playoffs before kickoff. So even with some ugly playoff losses the last decade I will gladly cheer for team and realize we could be a lot worse off.
Yes indeed the Steelers are better off as Mikey is wasting better players careers than the players careers’ the Bengals and Lions were wasting

He’s wasting some of the best players in league like HOF QB BB, best WR in time period Brown, best RB during time period in Bell, etc and continues this day with generational talent Watt and WPMOY Heyward…it’s quite impressive how much talent he has wasted

“Doing less with more” the mediocre Mike standard

Yes indeed the Steelers are better off as Mikey is wasting better players careers than the players careers’ the Bengals and Lions were wasting

He’s wasting some of the best players in league like HOF QB BB, best WR in time period Brown, best RB during time period in Bell, etc and continues this day with generational talent Watt and WPMOY Heyward…it’s quite impressive how much talent he has wasted

He has had some stars, but he has had no depth at all for most of his tenure. I believe the opposite of you on this and think he has done more with less. Bell was NOTHING when he left this team. He was also hurt for the playoffs frequently along with many others. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

A big case and point for the haters. You claim he wastes talent laden rosters then you also claim he has had many bad drafts and fails to develop talent. It can't be both. If he is bad a drafting and developing talent then how have we had talent laden rosters.

I’ve been saying this for over 25 years, Mike Tomlin will and has done the least, with the most.

Yes, my Clairvoyancey has been strong for quite some time………………………

Salute the nation

A complete dumpster fire is brewing. Double team Pickens and stack the box. 1 dimensional. Then Pickens gets frustrated after, oh, a game and a quarter and all that's left of the season is hearing Tomlick say that they're are gonna run to the fire.

Last edited:
He has had some stars, but he has had no depth at all for most of his tenure. I believe the opposite of you on this and think he has done more with less. Bell was NOTHING when he left this team. He was also hurt for the playoffs frequently along with many others. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

A big case and point for the haters. You claim he wastes talent laden rosters then you also claim he has had many bad drafts and fails to develop talent. It can't be both. If he is bad a drafting and developing talent then how have we had talent laden rosters.
What is Tomlin's playoff record for the past 10 years? The only time Tomlin won in the playoffs was when he had coaches that were from the prior HC's staff still in place. He was made to retain them. When they left....so did our success in the playoffs. Weird how that has worked out.

A complete dumpster fire is brewing. Double team Pickens and stack the box. 1 dimensional. Then Pickens gets frustrated after, oh, a game and a quarter and all that's left of the season is hearing Tomlick say that they're are gonna run to the fire.
Yes the stack the box and double Pickens is a concern of mine. Especially with Muth for me being a little bit of a mystery. I didn’t think he was as productive enough for a myriad of reasons but some of those questions still remain. If we have nobody else outside of GP getting consistently open that O will have their share of difficulties.

What is Tomlin's playoff record for the past 10 years? The only time Tomlin won in the playoffs was when he had coaches that were from the prior HC's staff still in place. He was made to retain them. When they left....so did our success in the playoffs. Weird how that has worked out.
I disagree. I think most of his recent playoff losses have been we were simply not the better team and that is because he got us there when we shouldn't have made it. Previous years was a lot of bad injury luck and turnovers. Some of which you can blame on him but certainly not all of it. Like Bens turnovers against Cleveland. Yet Tomlin still had us in that game until the end when we could have easily folded. Say what you want and believe what you want. As much as I want to win it all I think he has done a hell of a lot better job than many give him credit for. Except for challenges, he totally sucks at challenges.

I disagree. I think most of his recent playoff losses have been we were simply not the better team and that is because he got us there when we shouldn't have made it. Previous years was a lot of bad injury luck and turnovers. Some of which you can blame on him but certainly not all of it. Like Bens turnovers against Cleveland. Yet Tomlin still had us in that game until the end when we could have easily folded. Say what you want and believe what you want. As much as I want to win it all I think he has done a hell of a lot better job than many give him credit for. Except for challenges, he totally sucks at challenges.
since the last playoff win, which playoff loss was not Tomlin's fault?

A big case in point for the haters. You claim he wastes talent laden rosters then you also claim he has had many bad drafts and fails to develop talent. It can't be both. If he is bad a drafting and developing talent then how have we had talent laden rosters.
I’ve never said he made talent laden rosters or drafted well

He had the great fortune of inheriting a HOF QB that made many WRs careers…Wallace, Sanders, Holmes, AB were all cuz BB

A great QB elevated his WRs making good guys great…he was such a threat he even made it easy for the RB because guys had to defend the entire field.

Colbert had a few hits here and there and there were always a few stars around the HOFer, but hardly what I’d call a “talent laden” roster (an assertion I haven’t made), hardly a well coached team (an assertion very few have made) and about average in terms of drafting.

He simply inherited a HOF QB and road the coat tails to only levels of coming close to the Steeler standard he has ever reached.

So yeah in a QB driven league we had a great one who made some others around him great too…despite Tomlin trying to waste their entire careers they were still able to over come him once

But it took a couple miracles.

Now this Groundhog’s Day we watch it with another generational talent in Watt…

At least it’s College Football season!!!!

He had the great fortune of inheriting a HOF QB that made many WRs careers…Wallace, Sanders, Holmes, AB were all cuz BB

A great QB elevated his WRs making good guys great…he was such a threat he even made it easy for the RB because guys had to defend the entire field.

Colbert had a few hits here and there and there were always a few stars around the HOFer, but hardly what I’d call a “talent laden” roster (an assertion I haven’t made), hardly a well coached team (an assertion very few have made) and about average in terms of drafting.

He simply inherited a HOF QB and road the coat tails to only levels of coming close to the Steeler standard he has ever reached.

So yeah in a QB driven league we had a great one who made some others around him great too…despite Tomlin trying to waste their entire careers they were still able to over come him once

He also had Troy for most of his prime years.
Qb for the defense

In a QB driven league where it seems all QBs do well against our Defense....rookies journeyman and vets.....because their offenses allow them to throw all over.....then we have our offense that Tomlin has trotted out for the last handful of seasons. Ben last year they even handcuffed him(until the fourth quarter anyways). Then Ben just did what Ben wanted. Even our post Ben qbs had some success in the 4th quarters when allowed to throw the ball all over. Usually because we had to because we were losing. This is all on Tomlin's philosophy for his offense. Hopefully this season Tomlin figures out we are in the year 2024 and not 2014.

Well, since the players play, I would say they share at least some of the responsibility. Pretty hard standing around over on the sideline to be completely Tomlin's fault.

I also continue to be fascinated by the HOF QB accusation. What coach that has been successful hasn't "road the coattails" of a great QB? I guess I fell asleep for years and Belechick was successful without Tom Brady. Noll won a SB without Bradshaw! Who knew?

Well, since the players play, I would say they share at least some of the responsibility. Pretty hard standing around over on the sideline to be completely Tomlin's fault.

I also continue to be fascinated by the HOF QB accusation. What coach that has been successful hasn't "road the coattails" of a great QB? I guess I fell asleep for years and Belechick was successful without Tom Brady. Noll won a SB without Bradshaw! Who knew?
Unsure what your second paragraph is about.

As to the rest, here are the results:

2023 Playoffs
Wild Card (1/15/24) @ Buffalo Bills - L, 31-17 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

2021 Playoffs
Wild Card (1/16/22) @ Kansas City Chiefs - L, 42-21 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

2020 Playoffs
Wild Card (1/9/21) vs. Cleveland Browns - L, 48-37 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

2017 Playoffs
Division (1/14/18) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars - L, 45-42 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

Does anyone recall any commentary, after any of those losses, that the Steelers were the better prepared or coached team? That the D was well prepared and performed well or that the Offense executed a good game plan?

C'mon man. Someone -- usually the head coach -- is held accountable for poor performances like the Steelers last 4 losses.

Unsure what your second paragraph is about.

As to the rest, here are the results:

2023 Playoffs
Wild Card (1/15/24) @ Buffalo Bills - L, 31-17 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

2021 Playoffs
Wild Card (1/16/22) @ Kansas City Chiefs - L, 42-21 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

2020 Playoffs
Wild Card (1/9/21) vs. Cleveland Browns - L, 48-37 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

2017 Playoffs
Division (1/14/18) vs. Jacksonville Jaguars - L, 45-42 (Recap | Gamebook | Highlights | Photos)

Does anyone recall any commentary, after any of those losses, that the Steelers were the better prepared or coached team? That the D was well prepared and performed well or that the Offense executed a good game plan?

C'mon man. Someone -- usually the head coach -- is held accountable for poor performances like the Steelers last 4 losses.
And he should be. That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that the idea that any loss is ALL on the coach. It just isn't and you know it. He doesn't fumble or throw picks or miss blocks and tackles. Without question he is partly responsible and should be somewhere else or in the booth. But not ALL.

As per the 2nd paragraph, I was reading the thread and someone, not you, talked about Tomlin riding Ben's coattails. Agreed. But what successful coach doesn't have great players? Did Tomlin get the most out of those teams, especially from 2014-2017? No. Another reason he shouldn't be here anymore.

Sometimes the arguments used frustrate me. I've done it too, but we are smarter than that.

All of them and none of them. I stated my feelings. You are welcome to blame him for getting an inferior team into the playoffs then losing. You are welcome to blame Ben for turning the ball over. You are welcome to blame whomever. It is all opinions. There is no one perfect answer. I just choose to give him the benefit of the doubt based on a variety of factors. And remain hopeful it will turn around with better QB play and the new OC he hired.