• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Mt. Rushmore buy or sell?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 5
Oh yeah Slash! Couldn’t argue with any of those.i think you just have to add a fifth head up there.
Dobra Shunka himself. The great Ham! Jack that is!

Lists Bradshaw, Big Ben, Mean Joe, and Jack Lambert.

I saw this floating around twitter do you agree if not what is yours as it stands now?
No debate on MJG. If this is players only or a combination of players and owners/coaches/etc., he’s still there.
Since the pic in question is players only, I will maintain that motif.
1) MJG is the rock that our franchise was built on.

These next three are not as definitive as MJG. I think there will always be debate, but….

2) Jack Lambert is the face of the franchise. Maybe not our best LB of all-time, but a HOFer and tougher than a $2 steak. Who do I think of when I think Steeler? Count Dracula himself.

3) Mike Webster is the heart of the franchise. The man literally gave his life for the team. Brought his lunchpail, went to work, and anchored the 70s dynasty. He even stuck around and blocked for the bums after TB.

4) Troy Polamalu is the soul of the franchise. Hard to go outside of the dynasty, but was special enough to warrant it…..and then some. Such a unique player and the lynchpin of LeBeau’s defense. A pure student of the game plus everything you can’t teach.

The only one rock solid on that list in my opinion is Greene. After that it's a **** load of debate.
Who is the other three you would lean towards?

No debate on MJG. If this is players only or a combination of players and owners/coaches/etc., he’s still there.
Since the pic in question is players only, I will maintain that motif.
1) MJG is the rock that our franchise was built on.

These next three are not as definitive as MJG. I think there will always be debate, but….

2) Jack Lambert is the face of the franchise. Maybe not our best LB of all-time, but a HOFer and tougher than a $2 steak. Who do I think of when I think Steeler? Count Dracula himself.

3) Mike Webster is the heart of the franchise. The man literally gave his life for the team. Brought his lunchpail, went to work, and anchored the 70s dynasty. He even stuck around and blocked for the bums after TB.

4) Troy Polamalu is the soul of the franchise. Hard to go outside of the dynasty, but was special enough to warrant it…..and then some. Such a unique player and the lynchpin of LeBeau’s defense. A pure student of the game plus everything you can’t teach.
A good list but can we leave a QB off the equation?

Most important position IMO.

Who is the other three you would lean towards?
I would say this. I don't totally disagree with the four. Ben being the x factor on the recent championships after so many dissapointments and Bradshaw being the trigger man on the dynasty. But there are just so many greats that outside of Joe Greene you just don't have a slam dunk.
And I will say this he probably won't get the championship pedigree but when its all said and done TJ Watt may be the greatest defender this team has seen. In my opinion he should be three time DPOY.

I would say this. I don't totally disagree with the four. Ben being the x factor on the recent championships after so many dissapointments and Bradshaw being the trigger man on the dynasty. But there are just so many greats that outside of Joe Greene you just don't have a slam dunk.
True definitely not easy decides.

Franco Harris / Troy P. are slightly ahead of Ben for me at this time ........ 1st Ballad HOF will put him on par ....... 4 more years of TJ Watt will move him up the chart ..... but we will never see another dynasty like the 70's group............so it would be based on individual accomplishments

A Steeler Mt. Rushmore is impossible IMO.
How do you leave off Mike Webster?

Bradshaw and Ben? Too many other stars to have 2 qb's.
Its Bradshaw for me by a longshot.

Some earlier Mt. Rushmore's included either Noll or the Chief.

A separate Mt. Rushmore could be for coaches and management.

For that I would include Art Rooney, Chuck Noll, Bill Nunn, and Tomlin (no losing seasons)
J/K about Tomlin LOL. Perhaps Bill Cowher.

It was Bill Nunn that recruited many of the 70's players by looking at small black colleges. His name is so much attached to those 4 Super Bowls.

Perhaps the best way to represent is to have 2 offensive players and 2 defensive.

Because I'm old, when a great Steeler offense is mentioned, the first names that pop into my mind are Bradshaw, Harris, Webster then Swann. On D it's Greene, Lambert then Blount.

So my Mt. Rushmore would be Bradshaw, and because of the Immaculate Reception, it would be Harris over Webster. On D it's Greene and Lambert.

But that poses another problem, those are all 70's players.
Plenty more Steeler greats have followed.

Impossible I say!
Impossible!

Last edited:
Perhaps a Steeler Mt. Rushmore by position?

The Steeler linebacker Mt. Rushmore....Lambert, Ham, Harrison, and perhaps Lloyd??
Watt would easily go there when he retires. Ryan Shazier would fit right in if not for the unfortunate injury.

The Steeler running back Mt. Rushmore....Franco, Rocky, Bettis and???
I think LeVeon Bell would fit in if he hadn't become a selfish prick.

For that I would include Art Rooney, Chuck Noll, Bill Nunn, and Tomlin (no losing seasons)

It was Bill Nunn that recruited many of the 70's players by looking at small black colleges. His name is so much attached to those 4 Super Bowls.

Perhaps the best way to represent is to have 2 offensive players and 2 defensive.

Because I'm old, when a great Steeler offense is mentioned, the first names that pop into my mind are Bradshaw, Harris, Webster then Swann. On D it's Greene, Lambert then Blount.

So my Mt. Rushmore would be Bradshaw, and because of the Immaculate Reception, it would be Harris over Webster. On D it's Greene and Lambert.

Impossible I say!
Impossible!
We couldn’t choose Tomlin because he wasn’t buddy buddy with the mountain. Now if he had hiked up said mountain, obviously…

Impossible I say!
Impossible!
I would add Dan over cowher