• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers’ Omar Khan Is Working On Securing A Massive Playmaker: “Very Close To Landing A Significant Playmaker”

Steelers don’t have a Patrick they have an aging vet that will need not pro bowlers but playmakers. I am not talking a guy that will make an occasional play. Guys capable of consistency. You have one WR that they can double and then what do they have?

They have the opposite of a deep WR group right now. Pointing to any WR outside of Pickens and label them as adequate isn’t supported by recent production.

It is arguably this teams greatest weakness . In years past I would think about what had held this team back this position or that. When everything wrapped up I saw that weakness often heavily contributing.

This year it is this position. They will need at least one more proven playmaker. Not a pro-bowler but someone who has produced last year to a level that shows they won’t be able to consistently double up on Pickens.

Hell even at TE there is more questions than answers.

I think Wilson will help with his ability to extend plays. But someone outside of GP will have to be a steady Eddie and right now they just have, I hope they get lucky-Bucky.

I mean look at the collection of Wrs tgey brought in... of the guys likely to fight for a roster spot, pickens is probably the slowest...

If they line up Pickens in the slot and put two of Jefferson, Austin, Miller or Wilson outside... that whole group runs a sub 4.4 40... its going to make matchup problems... even if pickens is outside and draws a double, the opposite speed guy is going to get chances deep and one thing Russ does well is throw it deep...

Im not saying that if a bonafide high end receiver comes available at reasonable cost, we shouldn't pursue it.. but we shouldnt act desperate and trade a first plus for a high cost WR that will eat cap and ultimately cost us not resigning a good player next year or the year after...

I'm not going to agree with you that we have been spoiled with WR depth over the years; many of those years we were spoiled with a QB who could buy time and find a WR is more like it. Starting way back, I'll admit we were spoiled with Swanny and Stallworth on the same team.

Since then, not really. We had the 80's which had one WR star, Lipps. I'll admit he was good but not much other than him. The 90s saw Jeff Graham, Ernie Mills - good WRs but nothing to write home about. Hastings and CJ the same. Hines Ward, a fan favorite for good reason was added in '89. He was something special, eventually, but not for a while until Ben came along. Plex came in 2000, not "all that" but decent. Randle El came in '02, not great but a part of a decent group. I wouldn't call them "outstanding." Just "serviceable." That group was good enough to win a ring in '05 along with a sold D and rushing game.

And by '05, everything had changed with the emergence of Big Ben. He was something special. Then came AB, truly an advanced WR in a lot of ways, with a standard level of "Ben-Made WRs," who didn't do a whole lot outside of Ben's realm (I include Wallace, Holmes, Sanders, Bryant, Coates, Ju Ju, DJ, to an extent). But, we've never really had a "stockpile" of WRs, Ben made it look like we did. It is a common misnomer to say Pgh drafts WRs so excellently. They've done OK, but with plenty of misses to their ledger: Claypool, Austin (so far), James Washington, DeMarcus Ayers, Dri Archer, Marcus Wheaton, Justin Brown, Toney Clemons, Limas Sweed among those not mentioned when speaking of the Steelers' advanced WR drafting. For every AB there are 10 misses not ever discussed.

I mean look at the collection of Wrs tgey brought in... of the guys likely to fight for a roster spot, pickens is probably the slowest...

If they line up Pickens in the slot and put two of Jefferson, Austin, Miller or Wilson outside... that whole group runs a sub 4.4 40... its going to make matchup problems... even if pickens is outside and draws a double, the opposite speed guy is going to get chances deep and one thing Russ does well is throw it deep...

Im not saying that if a bonafide high end receiver comes available at reasonable cost, we shouldn't pursue it.. but we shouldnt act desperate and trade a first plus for a high cost WR that will eat cap and ultimately cost us not resigning a good player next year or the year after...
The collection of who they brought in has nice speed capability attached. I liked that about the acquisitions. It is the production element that is worrisome. I am not advocating selling the farm to get Joe blow. But I do think if they aren’t aggressive in getting some sort of upgrade it is a huge risk that could very well lead to end of year short comings.

Desperate might not be the right word but they should really have a sense of urgency. Especially with Rooney indicating he hasn’t been happy with end of season results.

With obtaining two bargain basement QBs they should be able to obtain one WR that has been a little more productive than every WR not named Pickens.

Overall I liked what they have done in the offseason. Yet there IMO is still concerns at WR,C, and inside corner.

The collection of who they brought in has nice speed capability attached. I liked that about the acquisitions. It is the production element that is worrisome. I am not advocating selling the farm to get Joe blow. But I do think if they aren’t aggressive in getting some sort of upgrade it is a huge risk that could very well lead to end of year short comings.

Desperate might not be the right word but they should really have a sense of urgency. Especially with Rooney indicating he hasn’t been happy with end of season results.

With obtaining two bargain basement QBs they should be able to obtain one WR that has been a little more productive than every WR not named Pickens.

Overall I liked what they have done in the offseason. Yet there IMO is still concerns at WR,C, and inside corner.
Id love to know why they think the towel boy and peanut vendors are more important than the slot CB... it just isnt a priority for them for some reason

Outside of George Pickens, the combination of Austin, Jefferson, Watkins, Callaway, and Wilson combined for 63 receptions and 4 TDs last season. Jefferson (50 receptions in 2021), Watkins (43 in 2021), and Callaway (46 in 2021) are the only receivers with at least 40 receptions in a season. The lack of production is concerning coming from the WR2 spot.

My big issue is the Steelers created this depth problem on their own. Getting rid of Diontae Johnson was fine as long as they had a replacement in place. If you told me they had Diontae, Pickens, then the group of Austin, Wilson, Jefferson, Watkins, and Callaway, I'd say we'd be in very good shape heading into the season. That one missing piece creates all the difference unless one of these guys can really step up this season.

Outside of George Pickens, the combination of Austin, Jefferson, Watkins, Callaway, and Wilson combined for 63 receptions and 4 TDs last season. Jefferson (50 receptions in 2021), Watkins (43 in 2021), and Callaway (46 in 2021) are the only receivers with at least 40 receptions in a season. The lack of production is concerning coming from the WR2 spot.

My big issue is the Steelers created this depth problem on their own. Getting rid of Diontae Johnson was fine as long as they had a replacement in place. If you told me they had Diontae, Pickens, then the group of Austin, Wilson, Jefferson, Watkins, and Callaway, I'd say we'd be in very good shape heading into the season. That one missing piece creates all the difference unless one of these guys can really step up this season.
Yep that 2021 production is nice then your brain goes right to oh but it is 2024. I guess they somewhat feel that someone will emerge. But that is like putting a quarter in a machine hoping for a Steelers ring. I got this neat bouncy ball…..

Yeah.

Yep that 2021 production is nice then your brain goes right to oh but it is 2024. I guess they somewhat feel that someone will emerge. But that is like putting a quarter in a machine hoping for a Steelers ring. I got this neat bouncy ball…..

Yeah.
I think maybe you posted it in another thread, but this team has a very good defense in place and even an aging Wilson should be good enough to make a playoff run. A proven WR2 to combine with Pickens, Freiermuth, and the backfield would've really been something to watch.

I think maybe you posted it in another thread, but this team has a very good defense in place and even an aging Wilson should be good enough to make a playoff run. A proven WR2 to combine with Pickens, Freiermuth, and the backfield would've really been something to watch.
Definitely. Even if their plans is Pickens 1 Pat 2 you want option 3 to be able to produce year long.

The more productive the offense the better the D will be through head to head practice and the better chance someone doesn’t shut the offense down completely. I want them to aim high by giving themselves the best opportunity to achieve what they and us want. Some postseason wins.

I'm thinking they feel the offense isn't requiring big receivers. DJ's touches will be absorbed by the running backs, Friermuth, (Austin 3 and Roman Wilson). That's what this is. You need catches and yards. They do not have to be by a new shiny toy. Friermuth alone could increase by 400 yards. I'd say Warren minimally but lots of room with Harris. Austin, Wilson and even Heyward need to get the rest. This team will not be built for come backs.

I'm thinking they feel the offense isn't requiring big receivers. DJ's touches will be absorbed by the running backs, Friermuth, (Austin 3 and Roman Wilson). That's what this is. You need catches and yards. They do not have to be by a new shiny toy. Friermuth alone could increase by 400 yards. I'd say Warren minimally but lots of room with Harris. Austin, Wilson and even Heyward need to get the rest. This team will not be built for come backs.
We could easily absorb the loss of a #2 WR and keep our 28th scoring offense, true. #28 can be an attainable goal.