• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Release CB Steven Nelson

Nelson had a great year in 2019.

He was above average last season.

Releasing Nelson does not make the team better. Sorry, it doesn't.
It wasn't about getting "better" this offseason. Of course losing him doesn't make them better.

The salary cap situation is not making things easy on a lot of teams. The Steelers just didn't have cap room on a year where the cap declined. ***** happens.

Because everyone knew we'd cut him and NOW they can negotiate a new deal and NOT absorb his traded salary vs the cap/

Salute the nation
His salary was pretty high for a cap stripped league and he's a FA after next season.

His salary was pretty high for a cap stripped league and he's a FA after next season.

Bermuda wondered why we couldn't trade him and I was referring to potential teams who may sign him as far as cap goes.

Salute the nation

Holding on to him until several days into free agency and then just releasing him is a full-on dick move. They have kneecapped Nelson's agent in terms of finding a contract for him.

This implies there's some bad blood. The Front Office and Coaching staff has shown on a few occasions that they can be just a bit dick'ish.

Holding on to him until several days into free agency and then just releasing him is a full-on dick move. They have kneecapped Nelson's agent in terms of finding a contract for him.

This implies there's some bad blood. The Front Office and Coaching staff has shown on a few occasions that they can be just a bit dick'ish.
They have every right to try to get value for him. I. Not faulting the FO for trying to get something out of the deal.

the guy said he was hoping for an extension before free agency started, he probably didn't like the offer they gave him and stormed out demanding to be cut.
It's ok to not like an offer as no one is forcing him to sign, but he already had an ongoing contract, why didn't he play his final year? Did the Steelers told him to either negotiate an extension or he would be cut?

the guy said he was hoping for an extension before free agency started, he probably didn't like the offer they gave him and stormed out demanding to be cut.
It's ok to not like an offer as no one is forcing him to sign, but he already had an ongoing contract, why didn't he play his final year? Did the Steelers told him to either negotiate an extension or he would be cut?
As someone that knows nothing about contracts, this was my thought as well. Why not play out the year and hit the market when everyone will have more money to spend.

It wasn't about getting "better" this offseason. Of course losing him doesn't make them better.

The Steelers just didn't have cap room on a year where the cap declined.

So for about the 5th time I ask ... why the hell re-sign Ben?? What, to win 7 games rather than 4?

It became public last week. He is a FA this week. I could be wrong but I'm assuming this is about FA next year in that they wanted to lower his hit this year and he was unhappy with the numbers.
I don't see how this helps the farewell to Ben tour. On paper this team is significantly worse than the one that petered out in a whimper last season.

So for about the 5th time I ask ... why the hell re-sign Ben?? What, to win 7 games rather than 4?
I've asked that 57 times. Ben could help you win a championship with all the pieces. Though the coaching piece would never be there anyhow. But all that's happened is square one this time next year. Lower than should be draft pick. Unless he is injured no clarity on the QBs on the roster.

Now that they clearly are in a rebuilding mode they really ****** this offseason up. I can't really argue with the why keep Ben crowd. You did jack **** really to help this team out. Just subtraction after subtraction. It was no shocker to them to know what they had to do to get cap compliant . You either go all in or not at all. They went half way. Before the draft offseason grade? F

There actually may be a method to the madness here

Nelson seems set on hitting ufa next year so he might not have been open to an extension.....

he also was a boundry cb, as lolley points out thats where pierre and Layne are really best suited at....

Nelson was reluctant to play any slot going into ufa...

A slot corner, even some pretty good ones, are not expensive you can probably get another true slot guy and a flexible guy for around 4 mil total.... then you filled both open corner spots and banked 3 to 4 million...

Nelson was really good, but honestly if the feel either can be at 90% of where he was at its kind of a no brainer...

You should be sentenced to 4 years hard time watching Mark Malone games just for saying that

I'm quite a bit older than you, FSF, and remember watching Terry Hanratty as QB. My point remains - the team is in rebuild mode THIS YEAR, not next. When you are in rebuild mode, scheming together a roster designed to go 7-9 is a huge mistake.

Re-*******-build. Take your medicine, go 4-12 or 3-13, get a top-tier draft spot, get the comp picks, use the cap space in 2022 to sign a legit FA or two, and the rebuild is done.

The approach of re-signing Ben, going 7-9 and winding up with the 15th pick, rather than simply taking the cap hit this season, drafting Trask and having him learn for a year while watching Rudolph and Haskins (my approach) to gear up for 2022, and then stocking up on OL and the skill positions in this draft and next and having that talent paired with a very good defense in the very near future makes a lot more sense.

Instead, the tactic seems to be going 7-9, getting the 15th pick to select a new QB for 2022 in a weak QB draft, then tossing the new guy under the bus with less talent around him because lower draft spot.

No thanks.

There actually may be a method to the madness here

Nelson seems set on hitting ufa next year so he might not have been open to an extension.....

he also was a boundry cb, as lolley points out thats where pierre and Layne are really best suited at....

Nelson was reluctant to play any slot going into ufa...

A slot corner, even some pretty good ones, are not expensive you can probably get another true slot guy and a flexible guy for around 4 mil total.... then you filled both open corner spots and banked 3 to 4 million...

Nelson was really good, but honestly if the feel either can be at 90% of where he was at its kind of a no brainer...
I would hope someone could emerge that could give up less than 7 TDS, Just the same they need to bring in a corner to help stabilize the secondary.

I'm quite a bit older than you, FSF, and remember watching Terry Hanratty as QB. My point remains - the team is in rebuild mode THIS YEAR, not next. When you are in rebuild mode, scheming together a roster designed to go 7-9 is a huge mistake.

Re-*******-build. Take your medicine, go 4-12 or 3-13, get a top-tier draft spot, get the comp picks, use the cap space in 2022 to sign a legit FA or two, and the rebuild is done.

The approach of re-signing Ben, going 7-9 and winding up with the 15th pick, rather than simply taking the cap hit this season, drafting Trask and having him learn for a year while watching Rudolph and Haskins (my approach) to gear up for 2022, and then stocking up on OL and the skill positions in this draft and next and having that talent paired with a very good defense in the very near future makes a lot more sense.

Instead, the tactic seems to be going 7-9, getting the 15th pick to select a new QB for 2022 in a weak QB draft, then tossing the new guy under the bus with less talent around him because lower draft spot.

No thanks.
This all day long. If they would have pushed that can and filled those holes I might have thought different. But they didn't they scrubbed, nickel and dimed, and flat out cleaned house. A fucktarded approach if your bringing back your fading franchise QB. You didn't Manning him some pieces or lady him some pieces. No you did the opposite.. It stinks of trying to stay above .500 not trying to get one last championship for Ben. They already had their excuse already in place the salary cap the salary cap. No you showed how easy it was to be compliant. You just had a half assed game plan.

I’ll ask the opposite question. Why would you not keep Ben? It doesn’t stop you from drafting a QB. The only way you want Ben gone now is if you believe in Mason that much. It’s kind of funny how 1 decent game vs the browns and Rudolph goes from a guy people wanted cut to the possible next franchise QB and we should kick Ben out the door to let him have a chance.

i don’t see why people think this is a lost season. if they have a good draft, there’s no reason why the Steelers can’t contend next year.

Nelson wasn’t going to be around after this season anyways. We have to address building block players like Watt, Minkah and JuJu next year (if he earns it) so why not push Nelson aside to make some wiggle room for 3-5 duct tape players for the season? Maybe Layne or Pierre has something, let’s find out...

The only way this team does actual playoff damage next year is if everyone plays lights out on a Big Ben magic carpet ride into the sunset...8-8 or a first round playoff exit is far more likely than the dream scenario.

It’s a shame we just can’t figure out the order of operations to trade away starters as they exit like some of the more savvy teams do, but why even bother when you can just crush the undrafted free agent signing period

I’ll ask the opposite question. Why would you not keep Ben? It doesn’t stop you from drafting a QB. The only way you want Ben gone now is if you believe in Mason that much. It’s kind of funny how 1 decent game vs the browns and Rudolph goes from a guy people wanted cut to the possible next franchise QB and we should kick Ben out the door to let him have a chance.

i don’t see why people think this is a lost season. if they have a good draft, there’s no reason why the Steelers can’t contend next year.
Why because you are doing him and the fans an injustice. It was bad enough coaching has held the team back, now we can add half assed offseason plan to the equation.

Also you and I know you will win more with Big Ben so on a year they clearly aren't challenging for a SB visit what is the point in trying to stay above .500?

I am 100 percent on the keep Ben if you aren't in a rebuilding mode, but now that clearly is the case. Their moves and lack of moves has showcased that.

**** Ben will be lucking if the O-line doesn't get him injured by game 4.

Not what I wanted as a fan and arguably not what Ben wants in his last year.

You should be sentenced to 4 years hard time watching Mark Malone games just for saying that
I don't know what the **** this even means. Instead we will be sentences to watching Ben be crippled behind an aging line with limited answers. Then you will be sentenced to whatever comes next. Wtf is the point of this. We are playing for a championship next season. BULLSHIT.

No thanks.
Agree with everything here except the 7-9 record
We all know it’s gotta be 8-8.

Reactions: wig
I don’t think they are in rebuild mode. Dotson looks like a real find at G and one would think Decastro has good year left. They are good at G. Chile’s and Banner are decent and they seem to like Banner’s potential. If they could get a good OT prospect in the first 2 rounds, this OL could be damn good this year.

If the OL is fixed the the offense can be very dangerous. DJ, JuJu, Claypool and Ebron are a really good group. Snell is decent and McFarland is a perfect fit for what Canada wants to do. With just 1 good OL pick, the offense could be top 10.

Defensively they should still be very good. Getting Bush back is a big help. The pass rush will be good again. Spillane is serviceable and maybe gets upgraded. The defense as is should be top half of league. Maybe they add a rookie DB or LB that has an impact and it goes to a top 10 defense.

This team still has plenty of talent.

I find many of these comments humorous, because unless the elephant in the room is addressed, a playoff run for this franchise is moot.
Never a losing season! I will always hope for the best, but my expectations are in the 80's now.