• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Release CB Steven Nelson

1. AGREED 100%. but i think an OL FA could gel the line as well. not sure about this draft class at LT.

2. Um, i DISAGREE. They dont know it but, the damn D NEEDS a goddamn Nose Tackle. Alualu played ******* lights out and what happens? despite a rash of injuries, our pass rush gets home without the blitz every single time. Defense has their first stellar year since J-Peezy. Imagine that.

I am not sure at all that Buggs can play like Alualu. The D may be significantly worse this year. ...And the media will blame it on the Gildonger Bud Dupree leaving.
Remember when the Front Office brought flozell adams as a cheap vet bet? The line gelled (is that a word?) as the guy gave a lot of stability to a line that was without both starks and colon.
They need to bring a proven vet like that for any of the critical spots with glaring holes.
1. AGREED 100%. but i think an OL FA could gel the line as well. not sure about this draft class at LT.

2. Um, i DISAGREE. They dont know it but, the damn D NEEDS a goddamn Nose Tackle. Alualu played ******* lights out and what happens? despite a rash of injuries, our pass rush gets home without the blitz every single time. Defense has their first stellar year since J-Peezy. Imagine that.

I am not sure at all that Buggs can play like Alualu. The D may be significantly worse this year. ...And the media will blame it on the Gildonger Bud Dupree leaving.

Alualu was not getting pushed around, he kicking people's *** all year round.

Also, they lost Old MacDonald. whom was not an inconsiderable loss.
He did, and then he, and the run defense took a major nosedive. Look, I liked the guy, but he was 32 years old, and playing dline, not hard too imagine his body just being at its limit. They have some young guys who, at worst, can platoon thag role. Plus, there are a few big bodies in the draft that can be had from rounds 4 on.

Why because you are doing him and the fans an injustice. It was bad enough coaching has held the team back, now we can add half assed offseason plan to the equation.

Also you and I know you will win more with Big Ben so on a year they clearly aren't challenging for a SB visit what is the point in trying to stay above .500?

I am 100 percent on the keep Ben if you aren't in a rebuilding mode, but now that clearly is the case. Their moves and lack of moves has showcased that.

**** Ben will be lucking if the O-line doesn't get him injured by game 4.

Not what I wanted as a fan and arguably not what Ben wants in his last year.
Slash you are where I've been for about six weeks. I saw it coming from a mile away. They brought back Ben. Kicked what about 15-20 million down the road with restructures (one substantially good player at least) and are quite a bit worse then last year when they completely fizzled. Ben will be good enough to keep them out of a premium draft pick and we will be back to square one next year. The Steelers are about the illusion of contending. Hate to say it but........

Slash you are where I've been for about six weeks. I saw it coming from a mile away. They brought back Ben. Kicked what about 15-20 million down the road with restructures (one substantially good player at least) and are quite a bit worse then last year when they completely fizzled. Ben will be good enough to keep them out of a premium draft pick and we will be back to square one next year. The Steelers are about the illusion of contending. Hate to say it but........
I was hoping for the best and ultimately that turned into dissappointment. Now I will just focus in on the draft because that usually is one thing I can count on. Their lack of aggressive positives for this team blows me away. I don't mind being wrong **** it will happen again. It just that to see other HOF QBs given half a chance at a title by the teams stocking for a run and to sit back and watch our team dismantled. Yeah disheartening.

Because re-signing Ben simply takes away some salary cap room from 2022. Doing that makes sense if the team needs cap room to keep the roster together and add a piece or two for a championship run.

So now Ben is paid $4 million in salary for 2021 and the roster bonus is actually lowered. Great.

Uhh, but the Steelers now get the cap hit of $10.4 million in 2022. Yes, quite a bit less than the $22 million hit this year, but so what? 2021 is not going to be a championship season. 2021 is not going to be a playoff season. 2021 is very likely not going to be a winning season, or a .500 season. It's not. Sorry.

So take your lumps in 2021, go 4-12, go into 2022 with even MORE cap room, use the next two drafts to restock with affordable, high-end talent (particularly with a top-8 pick in 2022), get the new QB acclimated and rock and roll.

Re-signing Ben does nothing of the sort. It's like painting the fender but then letting the engine fall out and three tires go flat. Okay, the fender looks better. But the car is ****.

Because the team finished 1-5 in their last six games and the roster is worse. The Steelers can contend next year even with Ben leaving IF they get a substantial influx of high-end, affordable talent - that is, if they get a top draft spot in 2022 and hit on their picks.

By the by, hitting on the picks is easier drafting top-8 every round, rather than 15th or whatever.

Tampa's OL sucked in 2019 and they drafted Tristin Wirfs and that made it come together for 2020. I don't consider Big Al a huge loss. He was awful run blocking. Same with Pouncey. I think Decastro was hurt last year so he should be better. I expect Dotson to be really good. Finney isn't great but he's decent and in between 2 good players like Dotson and Decastro and that should be a good interior.

As i said, they do need an OT. This draft has a lot of really good OT prospects. The Steelers could very well land a franchise LT in the 1st round. If they can do that then this OL will be fine.

I also thinking coaching was a big part of the OL struggles. Both the OL coach and the scheme and playcalling. Canada has shown that he understands how to design an offense with blocking in mind.

Canada called the plays in Week 17 vs the Browns. Playcalling makes quite a difference.

There is no great team in the NFL. Every team is flawed. Tampa won the Super Bowl with a mediocre secondary. The Chiefs defense is ****.

Not in a rebuild mode?
You have a backup for a Center. a backup for a LT, a fading RG, a season long injury return at RT, a loss of two corners, a loss of a solid run stuffer, depleted depth at ILber and OLber. No starting RB.

Man I love me some win and some hope and dreams but **** this looks every bit like a rebuild. Or at the very least a lack of a restock. Which is apple and orang-ing a convo that ends with the same result.

Ultimate fail
Ultimate fail is ignoring what the team does have.

A season long injury at RT—your point being? I don’t know if you pay attention to the league but players return from injuries every season.

I thought highly of Vince Williams, but you ignore the great play of Spillane and return of Bush.

Fading RG: DeCasto struggled in 1 game last year (Dallas) — the real struggle was Feiler. When I get the right editing software-I could break the film down better and prove it. They already have a quality replacement ready in Dotson. The OL will be better in 2021, it was at its absolute worst since 1968 in 2021.

This is one of the deepest RB drafts & a first year starter made big impacts in Mendenhall, Bell & Conner. Point being: RB is the position where finding a game changing talent can happen anywhere in the first 3 rounds.

But since you’re ignoring the ridiculous amount of talent at WR, S, OLB, ILB, DL — if you think other teams don’t have short comings in depth you’re just not paying attention to the rest of the NFL.

Not in a rebuild mode?
You have a backup for a Center. a backup for a LT, a fading RG, a season long injury return at RT, a loss of two corners, a loss of a solid run stuffer, depleted depth at ILber and OLber. No starting RB.

Man I love me some win and some hope and dreams but **** this looks every bit like a rebuild. Or at the very least a lack of a restock. Which is apple and orang-ing a convo that ends with the same result.

Ultimate fail

offseason isn't over yet. They hit on an OT in the draft and this OL is good.

Vince WIlliams is no loss. He's not a 3 down player. Spillane can deliver similarly.

Hilton is no great player either. He was pretty good but not a lockdown cover guy. Sutton can play the slot.

People are now freaking about replacing Nelson but they got Nelson off the scrap heap. It is possible they get a decent CB vet and they seem to like Layne and Pierre.

Highsmith showed more as a rookie than Bud did until his 3rd year. They need some depth but they can draft a depth guy.

I don't worry about RB. There are always RBs floating around. They've had guys like Pegram, Duce Staley, Deangelo Williams, Willie Parker, and the Rams even gave up on Bettis when they traded him.

Snell is a solid runner. Look at how effective Latavius Murray is for the saints. he's no great talent. Mcfarland is dynamic. I bet Canada pushed for him and Fichtner had no idea what to do with him.

The best players on the steelers are all still here. Ben, JuJu, DJ, Claypool, Heyward, Tuitt, Watt, Bush, Minkah.

It could all go south. If they miss out on OT. If Bush doesn't have a breakout. If Nelson's eventual replacement is a bust. If they don't get a TE that can block. But there's still time and they can fill the holes.

Ultimate fail is ignoring what the team does have.

A season long injury at RT—your point being? I don’t know if you pay attention to the league but players return from injuries every season.

I thought highly of Vince Williams, but you ignore the great play of Spillane and return of Bush.

Fading RG: DeCasto struggled in 1 game last year (Dallas) — the real struggle was Feiler. When I get the right editing software-I could break the film down better and prove it. They already have a quality replacement ready in Dotson. The OL will be better in 2021, it was at its absolute worst since 1968 in 2021.

This is one of the deepest RB drafts & a first year starter made big impacts in Mendenhall, Bell & Conner. Point being: RB is the position where finding a game changing talent can happen anywhere in the first 3 rounds.

But since you’re ignoring the ridiculous amount of talent at WR, S, OLB, ILB, DL — if you think other teams don’t have short comings in depth you’re just not paying attention to the rest of the NFL.
There is no ultimate fail I know this team like the back of my hand. All is fanatics do. I know what talent is on the roster. Just because people return from injury doesn't make it a guarantee Banner will hold up all season. It is an unknown which makes it riskier than known. The ol your not paying attention to the rest of the league is horseshit, everyone knows every team has issues. But if you aren't seeing that this team has more holes than in recent seasons past you aren't paying attention. Ridiculous amount of talent at S? You have Mink then an average SS then nobody behind that. OLBer? You have a Watt and a rookie trying to catch his footing that was banged up in less than a season, and nobody behind that. DL you have two solid players then unknowns behind that. ILBer you have yet another player coming off injury that's game is built on speed, a slow LBer next to him then nobody behind that. And then you have all the things I already mentioned. How many starters do you think will be ready out of the gates from the draft? 1 ..2? We need 4. So while that iffy Oline is getting Ben killed on the leagues most difficult schedule you then will be paying attention when that dogshit you saw at the end of the season resurfaces. It isn't a matter of if but when. You can have tunnel vision all you want I am paying close attention to the state of the team and it isn't pretty. I see in a lot of your debates you try knocking down someone by belittling their eyes, or fandom, or knowledge. It doesn't give you some devine wisdom over the next fan. It just comes across prickish. I am doing you a favor perhaps you need to pay better attention.

Last edited:

Vince WIlliams is no loss. He's not a 3 down player. Spillane can deliver similarly.

Hilton is no great player either. He was pretty good but not a lockdown cover guy. Sutton can play the slot.

People are now freaking about replacing Nelson but they got Nelson off the scrap heap. It is possible they get a decent CB vet and they seem to like Layne and Pierre.

Highsmith showed more as a rookie than Bud did until his 3rd year. They need some depth but they can draft a depth guy.

I don't worry about RB. There are always RBs floating around. They've had guys like Pegram, Duce Staley, Deangelo Williams, Willie Parker, and the Rams even gave up on Bettis when they traded him.

Snell is a solid runner. Look at how effective Latavius Murray is for the saints. he's no great talent. Mcfarland is dynamic. I bet Canada pushed for him and Fichtner had no idea what to do with him.

The best players on the steelers are all still here. Ben, JuJu, DJ, Claypool, Heyward, Tuitt, Watt, Bush, Minkah.

It could all go south. If they miss out on OT. If Bush doesn't have a breakout. If Nelson's eventual replacement is a bust. If they don't get a TE that can block. But there's still time and they can fill the holes.
There is still time but a **** load of question marks. I am not so sure one LT fixes the Oline. Finney a whole season at C? That can easily go either way. A huge unknown. Banner even if he manages to hold up we don't know the level of play, we only even initially saw an extremely small sample size. Cb isn't so easily replaced. We have seen the difficulties our team has at the position in which they struggle mightily. Sure some vets can slow the bleeding but that pool is diminishing by the day. Snell isn't a feature back. He is more of a rotational type. We have seen what bottom barrel free agents can make a position struggle. I want to say the teams struggles in this department overall. There is some solid pieces on this roster I just think it is far and away a championship roster. That is my biggest beef with a HOF QB on the soon out.

Tampa's OL sucked in 2019 and they drafted Tristin Wirfs and that made it come together for 2020. I don't consider Big Al a huge loss. He was awful run blocking. Same with Pouncey. I think Decastro was hurt last year so he should be better. I expect Dotson to be really good. Finney isn't great but he's decent and in between 2 good players like Dotson and Decastro and that should be a good interior.

As i said, they do need an OT. This draft has a lot of really good OT prospects. The Steelers could very well land a franchise LT in the 1st round. If they can do that then this OL will be fine.

I also thinking coaching was a big part of the OL struggles. Both the OL coach and the scheme and playcalling. Canada has shown that he understands how to design an offense with blocking in mind.

Canada called the plays in Week 17 vs the Browns. Playcalling makes quite a difference.

There is no great team in the NFL. Every team is flawed. Tampa won the Super Bowl with a mediocre secondary. The Chiefs defense is ****.
Totally agree that every team is flawed. But our problem is with our coaching staff we basically need all pros at every position to even win a playoff game.
Hopefully Canada makes a difference.

Totally agree that every team is flawed. But our problem is with our coaching staff we basically need all pros at every position to even win a playoff game.
Hopefully Canada makes a difference.
Hopefully, but our HC refuses to adjust, and has to be to involved in the offense and defense.

There actually may be a method to the madness here

Nelson seems set on hitting ufa next year so he might not have been open to an extension.....

he also was a boundry cb, as lolley points out thats where pierre and Layne are really best suited at....

Nelson was reluctant to play any slot going into ufa...

A slot corner, even some pretty good ones, are not expensive you can probably get another true slot guy and a flexible guy for around 4 mil total.... then you filled both open corner spots and banked 3 to 4 million...

Nelson was really good, but honestly if the feel either can be at 90% of where he was at its kind of a no brainer...
I am still wondering about William Jackson III - 'if' that kid can return to form - we may already have Nelson's replacement on the roster. I'm not sold on Layne or Pierre...

I am still wondering about William Jackson III - 'if' that kid can return to form - we may already have Nelson's replacement on the roster. I'm not sold on Layne or Pierre...
? Jackson isn't in our roster. Wishful thinking?

Holding on to him until several days into free agency and then just releasing him is a full-on dick move. They have kneecapped Nelson's agent in terms of finding a contract for him.

This implies there's some bad blood. The Front Office and Coaching staff has shown on a few occasions that they can be just a bit dick'ish.

So can the players.................... just flipping the coin and little chest is an example.

I agree with you but also realize BOTH sides have got a hand in it.

Salute the nation

Reactions: wig
the real losses are Bud and Nelson, everyone was clamoring for pouncey and villanueva to retire, Hilton departure is covered by Sutton, Alualu played half the time due to scheme (not that I like the 2 front btw) and is 34 years old, if the team can't get a replacement currently in the roster or draft then we deserve to suck. ILB needs depth but Vince's loss was partially filled with spillane and williamson so as long as Bush stays healthy it should be ok with Spill or a cheap vet that doesn't cost 6M in cap space.

On to Dupree's loss I'm happy they have Highsmith which was a surprising pick for me yet he is shown he belongs in the NFL, as someone else said, he already showed in his rookie season more than Bud in his first 3 years so the arrow is pointing up and he clearly won't have this coming season the impact Bud did last's but he might be improving towards that level by the end of the season, having Watt, tuitt and Heyward will help him a lot in his development. A late 4th/6th developmental guy for depth is needed tho.

Now regarding Nelson I wish the Steelers get aggressive with a vet signing because corner is a tough position for a rookie to make an impact, ignoring the fact that the Steelers can't draft one to save their life, it is very hard for rooks to adapt. Maybe if Samuels falls in the 2nd then the kid might be of immediate help due to his high floor and doesn't cost a 1st.

Villy and Pouncey, the OL sucks, yes it does but both of these guys were part of the problem so losing them is not a negative. They need to be improved and the draft might be the best place for it, there are a lot of prospects to be liked even in the 4th round but especially in the 1st a OT that normally would be top 12 will be there for grabs, don't miss on that KC and the line gets inmediately revamped with a healthy DD and the surprising Big Dot (Dotson).

While I'm not in love with Finney to play Center I get that the lack of money available has to show his ugly head somewhere and the guy might just be enough to hold the line, a rookie 4th might have enough time to develop and show up towards the end of the season, luckily the scouting team finds another serviceable gem in mid late rounds. Wouldn't be the first time.

RB is a must and no later than 3rd round, ideally 2nd if Javonte falls or we trade up for him, this is directly affected now by the loss of Nelson, this is why I want a vet CB free agent to not be forced to invest in the draft.

Trading a couple 2022 picks would be fine with me if they feel the right guy is there as we will have at least 2 extra picks with the losses of Bud, Feiler and Hilton. So drafting ideally a tackle in the 1st, a RB in the 2nd, and BPA between C-LB-S/CB-NT in the 3rd an 4th round should complete the roster and keep us competitive with the current stars in the team.

Why so many here automatically assume we are in for 15 years of Brister’s , Malone’s etc I just don’t get. Remember. That was on Chuck’s & Bill’s watch. Not Tomlin’s. You never know.
Oh Dear God.

I can't seriously consider having any faith whatsoever in Tomlin's ability to fix anything. I wouldn't ask that guy to put back together an Oreo Cookie that had been pulled apart.

I was hoping for the best and ultimately that turned into dissappointment. Now I will just focus in on the draft because that usually is one thing I can count on. Their lack of aggressive positives for this team blows me away. I don't mind being wrong **** it will happen again. It just that to see other HOF QBs given half a chance at a title by the teams stocking for a run and to sit back and watch our team dismantled. Yeah disheartening.

We were totally LOADED last season. COACHING let us down again, sounds like a broken record. Tomlin has used up all excuses along the 10year road and last season was a fail no matter what excuse is used. You and I both know they were well loaded for a deep playoff / SB run yet once again they faded into the sunset........ I get the lackadaisical seeming effort put into this offseason so far but have come to expect not much more until later in this time frame headed up to TC.

Salute the nation

Now ebron restructured sign a vet cb there are several good ones hopefully if tuitt restructures as well it will help perhaps add ap and help sign the draft class

For the Ravens, they lost both pass rushers Judson and Ngakoue. RT Orlando Brown demands a trade. They have 2 sixth round picks starting at Safety. Guess their season is ******.

What about watching Terry Hanratty play qualifies your prediction that the Steelers go 7-9 with Ben? How are we supposed to know that the Steelers go 4-12 without Ben?

Have you even read the redrafting series? Even having the #7 pick in 1989 plus the #24 pick didn’t help the Steelers in the least—and they drafted a RB and LT. How did that work out for them?

I propose that having higher picks is a benefit to teams. Know who agrees with me? Every team in the NFL.

Of course picks fail, but the failure rate goes up as the draft slot goes down.

If you’re old enough to have watched Hanratty — were you also one of those who clamored for the Steelers to draft him #4 overall only to find him in 2nd round?

Jesus, I said I watched him, not that I wanted him picked #4 overall.

A team that started 11-0 and has the core of the defense returning, yet you say it’s a rebuilding year?

Yes.
I’ll argue that if not for 4 players getting ACL tears & the Covid debacle right when the team was hitting a groove at Thanksgiving (they were playing with confidence and in rhythm) until 3 games in 12 days took a very physical toll on them. That’s when the rash of injuries took over on them & began to struggle. The Washington loss, 4 of their defensive starters were on the field when they surrendered that comeback. And Washington was coming off 10 day rest vs Steelers 4 day rest.

And if grandpa had ****, he'd be grandma.

The Steelers struggled against Dallas, lost to Washington and the Bungles, and got embarrassed in their first playoff game in 3 years. That team - the one you feel good about - lost its starting RB, LT, C, CB, slot corner, 2nd TE, and OLB.

So yeah, I think they're rebuilding.

And 1984 that 83 core was the only one to beat 49ers en route to AFCCG—do you think maybe if Bradshaw were there for 1 last time they could have beaten Miami and faced off vs. 49ers in Super Bowl?

I suspect you are not old enough to have actually watched much of the 1984 Steelers. That team had a running game that knocked the snot out of defenses, and a defense that was led by Mike Merriweather, Donnie Shell, Robin Cole, Keith Willis and an offensive line led by Mike Webster, Steve Courson (who wrote a book about his steroid use), and Tunch. They called Courson "the sweeper" based on his ability to simply push defenders aside. On the sidelines, every time it was 3rd and short or a goal line situation, you would see the Steelers players making a sweeping motion, encouraging the QB to run behind Courson. Frank Pollard was as tough as a $2 steak and in the divisional round, after the Steelers got another Bronco turnover, Pollard literally ran over a linebacker to score a touchdown. You could hear the collision on television.

That team was led by Chuck Noll, just a few years removed from his 4th Super Bowl win, and went just 9-7. Mike Tomlin has had maybe one team as tough as that squad (the 2008 Steelers), but never will again. Noll was detailed, tough. Tomlin is microwaved margarine.

Rebuilding year? Why in Gods name have you quit on a season that hasn’t even started?

Teams that think they are competing for a championship, think the roster is good enough to do so, and fail to realize the truth are known as the Bengals and Browns. This team is not going to the playoffs in 2021. They topped out this past season, lost a bunch of guys off a club that finished 1-5.

Just one mor thing - What if they do like 2003-2004, and take the Running Game from 31st to 1st? That worked out pretty well if I recall.

The 2004 Steelers added a guy who turned out to be pretty good. Forget his name.

Oh, you know how they were able to add that guy? BECAUSE THEY HAD THE #11 PICK.

What "ridiculous" amounts of talent do the Steelers have at linebacker?

They have TJ Watt, and they have Bush, who is coming off of an ACL injury in week 6 of last season. Then what? I like Spillane, but he's not ridiculously talented. Highsmith did little in his six starts attempting to replace Dupree. Marcus Allen is a converted safety. Ulysees Gilbert has shown nothing. I don't even know who Tegray Scales is.

What the hell are you talking about?

Highsmith showed more as a rookie than Bud did until his 3rd year.
I'm sorry, but one OT in the draft is not going to magically secure this as a good offensive line. Even if that happens, there is zero depth, and the Steelers are an injury or two away from a total nightmare there.

The problem with exalting Highsmith for showing more as a rookie than Bud did until his third year -- Dupree sucked early in his career, so that's not really saying very much, is it?

I'm sorry, but one OT in the draft is not going to magically secure this as a good offensive line. Even if that happens, there is zero depth, and the Steelers are an injury or two away from a total nightmare there.

The problem with exalting Highsmith for showing more as a rookie than Bud did until his third year -- Dupree sucked early in his career, so that's not really saying very much, is it?

why not? 1st round LT, Dotson, Finley, Decastro, and winner of Chukes vs Banner contest. That right there is a better OL than half the league. Depth? You have to be joking. Go find me the team that has a good OL and also has quality depth behind it? You won’t find many.

Besides, if they draft a starting OT then the loser of Chukes vs Banner is a good backup. A better backup OT than most teams have. They signed Joe Haeg as a backup and probably TE in run situations. They may draft a G/C to compete with Finney. That would give them depth on the interior. They may still sign a cheap G for depth.

Nobody is exalting Highsmith. Just pointing out that right now he is a solid player. He may develop into a great player but even if he just stays at this level, he’s a solid starter. They do need depth there but again, how many teams have quality pass rush depth?

The offseason is not over yet.

They think so much of Spillane they gave him a one year contract. Not a huge endorsement by any means.