• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Release CB Steven Nelson

why not? 1st round LT, Dotson, Finley, Decastro, and winner of Chukes vs Banner contest. That right there is a better OL than half the league. Depth? You have to be joking. Go find me the team that has a good OL and also has quality depth behind it? You won’t find many.

Besides, if they draft a starting OT then the loser of Chukes vs Banner is a good backup. A better backup OT than most teams have. They signed Joe Haeg as a backup and probably TE in run situations. They may draft a G/C to compete with Finney. That would give them depth on the interior. They may still sign a cheap G for depth.

Nobody is exalting Highsmith. Just pointing out that right now he is a solid player. He may develop into a great player but even if he just stays at this level, he’s a solid starter. They do need depth there but again, how many teams have quality pass rush depth?

The offseason is not over yet.
So you're talking about a "good" offensive line consisting of: a late first-round rookie who has never played an NFL snap, Dotson (who is already being overrated by you and almost everyone else), Finney (whom I liked as a good backup but will now be a full-time starter after being cut by the Bengals), DeCastro (who is clearly not as good as he used to be), and the winner of a Who-can-be-just-about-average-instead-of-below-average Contest.

I think it's you who has to be joking.

One sack in six games as a starter at OLB for the Steelers with TJ Watt on the other side is not "solid" production. Are you joking again?

He will be a good fit for league minimum.

let’s see what we do with this extra money

There is no ultimate fail I know this team like the back of my hand. All is fanatics do. I know what talent is on the roster. Just because people return from injury doesn't make it a guarantee Banner will hold up all season. It is an unknown which makes it riskier than known. The ol your not paying attention to the rest of the league is horseshit, everyone knows every team has issues. But if you aren't seeing that this team has more holes than in recent seasons past you aren't paying attention. Ridiculous amount of talent at S? You have Mink then an average SS then nobody behind that. OLBer? You have a Watt and a rookie trying to catch his footing that was banged up in less than a season, and nobody behind that. DL you have two solid players then unknowns behind that. ILBer you have yet another player coming off injury that's game is built on speed, a slow LBer next to him then nobody behind that. And then you have all the things I already mentioned. How many starters do you think will be ready out of the gates from the draft? 1 ..2? We need 4. So while that iffy Oline is getting Ben killed on the leagues most difficult schedule you then will be paying attention when that dogshit you saw at the end of the season resurfaces. It isn't a matter of if but when. You can have tunnel vision all you want I am paying close attention to the state of the team and it isn't pretty. I see in a lot of your debates you try knocking down someone by belittling their eyes, or fandom, or knowledge. It doesn't give you some devine wisdom over the next fan. It just comes across prickish. I am doing you a favor perhaps you need to pay better attention.
Definition of irony is saying I come across prickish—with you saying I have tunnel vision.

The reason I say anything with conviction is because I’ve actually thoroughly researched it. That means I’ve watched enough of Highsmith on tape to feel justified that he can play the OLB opposite Watt. For years I thought Dupree could too, he was just out of position. The Steelers under Colbert have found quality players at LB—so if it’s prickish to call you out on it, we’ll, guilty as charged.

Edmunds has not been a big play maker at SS but he’s been a tackling machine and excellent in covering the middle zone in the cover-3, which the Steelers employ a lot. He’d have more splash plays if we played move Cover-2 just by the nature of the position, but not all quality plays show up on a stat sheet.

If you want to give up on next season fine. Go enjoy yourself. I don’t care. I choose to focus on what the team can do vs. what it can’t.

I propose that having higher picks is a benefit to teams. Know who agrees with me? Every team in the NFL.

Of course picks fail, but the failure rate goes up as the draft slot goes down.

Jesus, I said I watched him, not that I wanted him picked #4 overall.

Yes.

And if grandpa had ****, he'd be grandma.

The Steelers struggled against Dallas, lost to Washington and the Bungles, and got embarrassed in their first playoff game in 3 years. That team - the one you feel good about - lost its starting RB, LT, C, CB, slot corner, 2nd TE, and OLB.

So yeah, I think they're rebuilding.

I suspect you are not old enough to have actually watched much of the 1984 Steelers. That team had a running game that knocked the snot out of defenses, and a defense that was led by Mike Merriweather, Donnie Shell, Robin Cole, Keith Willis and an offensive line led by Mike Webster, Steve Courson (who wrote a book about his steroid use), and Tunch. They called Courson "the sweeper" based on his ability to simply push defenders aside. On the sidelines, every time it was 3rd and short or a goal line situation, you would see the Steelers players making a sweeping motion, encouraging the QB to run behind Courson. Frank Pollard was as tough as a $2 steak and in the divisional round, after the Steelers got another Bronco turnover, Pollard literally ran over a linebacker to score a touchdown. You could hear the collision on television.

That team was led by Chuck Noll, just a few years removed from his 4th Super Bowl win, and went just 9-7. Mike Tomlin has had maybe one team as tough as that squad (the 2008 Steelers), but never will again. Noll was detailed, tough. Tomlin is microwaved margarine.

Teams that think they are competing for a championship, think the roster is good enough to do so, and fail to realize the truth are known as the Bengals and Browns. This team is not going to the playoffs in 2021. They topped out this past season, lost a bunch of guys off a club that finished 1-5.

The 2004 Steelers added a guy who turned out to be pretty good. Forget his name.

Oh, you know how they were able to add that guy? BECAUSE THEY HAD THE #11 PICK.
Yeah, I watched the 1984 team — and the inconsistency at QB that saw them score the 4th most in team history then lose a week later to the team with 2nd worst record in the league. Get cremated by the Dolphins at home then beat the 49ers on the road.

If you’re going to lecture me about their offensive line, then at least know who started on it. Bringing up Steve Courson does you a disservice. They had 35 year old Larry Brown and Tunch was just establishing himself at OT. Rookie Blake Wingle started at G.

You know they lacked star power at RB and were horrible at QB while they had stars at WR. Oh, and comparing the defenses — Watt, Fitzpatrick, Bush, Heyward, Tuitt, Hayden.... 84 had 2 players that had ever been named to the Pro Bowl.

Just imagine if that team had 1 more run with Bradshaw like this team — which is similar to those 83-84 years—does have Ben.

When Ben retires, we’ll need to replace him. And it might be some down years. But damn it’s worth it to make one final run.

Definition of irony is saying I come across prickish—with you saying I have tunnel vision.

The reason I say anything with conviction is because I’ve actually thoroughly researched it. That means I’ve watched enough of Highsmith on tape to feel justified that he can play the OLB opposite Watt. For years I thought Dupree could too, he was just out of position. The Steelers under Colbert have found quality players at LB—so if it’s prickish to call you out on it, we’ll, guilty as charged.

Edmunds has not been a big play maker at SS but he’s been a tackling machine and excellent in covering the middle zone in the cover-3, which the Steelers employ a lot. He’d have more splash plays if we played move Cover-2 just by the nature of the position, but not all quality plays show up on a stat sheet.

If you want to give up on next season fine. Go enjoy yourself. I don’t care. I choose to focus on what the team can do vs. what it can’t.
If you discount all the **** everyone threw at you then yes it is tunnel vision.Nobody dissed Highsmith but we all know he isn't a finished product. He is still a wait and see and I like what he brings to the table. Yeah I do a lot of research too. I'll be right and wrong. So will you. But what I threw out was a lot of known problem areas you pimped a few players. It will take a helluva lot more than a few bright spots for this team to go far in the playoffs. Sorry if I am not impressed by you calling me out. Because you have thrown exactly nothing my way earth shattering. Edmunds has problems in coverage you can point to things he does well and sure he does. But the things he does not so well leave him at slightly above average. I don't think that is an extreme stance to take. The bottom line is you don't bring Ben back if you aren't stocking him with the pieces for a championship. That isn't bailing on the season that is just being a realist.

Totally agree that every team is flawed. But our problem is with our coaching staff we basically need all pros at every position to even win a playoff game.
Hopefully Canada makes a difference.

WoW nail meet hammer and yes you/ve hit this one out of the park.

Salute the nation

So you're talking about a "good" offensive line consisting of: a late first-round rookie who has never played an NFL snap, Dotson (who is already being overrated by you and almost everyone else), Finney (whom I liked as a good backup but will now be a full-time starter after being cut by the Bengals), DeCastro (who is clearly not as good as he used to be), and the winner of a Who-can-be-just-about-average-instead-of-below-average Contest.

I think it's you who has to be joking.

One sack in six games as a starter at OLB for the Steelers with TJ Watt on the other side is not "solid" production. Are you joking again?

By good offensive line, i mean a line that is good enough that Ben isn't running for his life and they can be an effective run team. You don't need 5 pro bowlers to have a good OL. Tampa is a great example of that.

Dotson was great for a rookie. I expect him to improve, but even if he stays level, he's not a liability. Decastro is not that old. I believe he was playing injured a bit and i expect him to be better. Even if he doesn't get back to his best, he's still an above average player.

I also expect Canada's scheme to help a great deal. His main strength is adapting to the strengths of his players. If you can get a LT that can be trusted on the blindside without help then that gives a good offensive coach a lot of ways to minimize weaknesses.

Ebron's not a great bl;ocker, but he can chip a DE to help the RT before he runs his route. JuJu and Claypool have size to be involved in chips and crackbacks. Fichtner did barely anything to help this OL.

Actually having a play action game helps the OL as well.

Again i ask, which NFL team has 5 above average starters AND quality depth behind it? If that is your standard for a "good" OL then prepare to be disappointed.

Chiefs and Packers looked destined to meet in the SB then they each suffered some injuries on the OL and they didn't have the depth to overcome it.

As for Highsmith, he only had 5 starts. He had 2 sacks. 5 tackle for loss and 6 QB Hits.
Here are TJ Watt's rookie stats in 15 starts. 7 sacks. 10 TFL. 13 Hits
Now let's extrapolate Highsmith's stats to 15 starts and you get 6 sacks. 15 TFL 18 Hits

That's not saying Highsmith will be as good as Watt, but he's already a quality starter and could improve.

Oh Dear God.

I can't seriously consider having any faith whatsoever in Tomlin's ability to fix anything. I wouldn't ask that guy to put back together an Oreo Cookie that had been pulled apart.
Simply replying to all the comments about when Ben goes we will go through another 25 before we find our next great one. I’ve been around long enough to watch every QBs between Terry and Ben. And every one of them were during Chuck & Bill’s tenure. You never know.....Tomlin might have a talent to pick a qb like he does wr.

And no....lol I don’t have much faith in our dear HC. I would have let him go after that wonderful playoff loss to Tebow

You know... Tomlin does have a ton of respect in the room... if they can get a solid oc that runs that side of the team a lot better and a much better STC, im fine with him and butler running the D... i think they need a strategic guy in the booth though... every team should have that... Tomlin is fine if he is just handling the overall stuff... the stuff we blow him up for on gameday is all stuff that can be mitigated through proper staffing and delegation of duties ....

Im no big Tomlin fan but he has grown light years since 07...

Yeah, I watched the 1984 team — and the inconsistency at QB that saw them score the 4th most in team history then lose a week later to the team with 2nd worst record in the league.

Thank God a Mike Tomlin team would never do something like that.

If you’re going to lecture me about their offensive line, then at least know who started on it. Bringing up Steve Courson does you a disservice. They had 35 year old Larry Brown and Tunch was just establishing himself at OT. Rookie Blake Wingle started at G.

Nope. I saw quite a few of their games including in-person for the last game of the year when they beat the Raiders.

That offensive line was good. Webster was still a force in the middle, Courson had his best season, and Tunch started because he was excellent that year. Larry Brown moved from LT to RT and was still a solid lineman. That line was good and led the team to the 3rd best rushing game in the league. Repeat, the line was "so bad" the Steelers ranked THIRD in the NFL in rushing that year.

The current team right now has no LT and no C, arguably the two most important positions on the OL. The '84 team had a future HOF'er and a budding All-Pro at C and LT.

You know they lacked star power at RB and were horrible at QB while they had stars at WR.

Again, the team ranked third in the NFL in rushing and had a two-headed running attack with Pollard and Abercrombie. Sorry, you're just wrong.

Oh, and comparing the defenses — Watt, Fitzpatrick, Bush, Heyward, Tuitt, Hayden.... 84 had 2 players that had ever been named to the Pro Bowl. Just imagine if that team had 1 more run with Bradshaw like this team — which is similar to those 83-84 years—does have Ben..

Merriweather, Cole and Shell were all Pro-Bowl players so you're wrong there. Sure, the current defense is better because of the star power of Watt and Fitzpatrick, but the team is coached by guy who needs everything to go right to win. Noll >>>>>>>>>>>> Tomlin. Plus, the 1984 team had Lipps and Stallworth at WR.

If a 36-year old Bradshaw is the QB for that team, they are a better team. So what? The current Steelers team has a future HOF QB who was under center as the team went 1-5 to end the year, lost crucial games to garbage teams like the Not-Redskins and the Bungles, got routed in the playoffs, then lost their LT, C, RB, a 2nd TE, NT, OLB, CB and nickel CB.

When Ben retires, we’ll need to replace him. And it might be some down years. But damn it’s worth it to make one final run.

You act like I'm rooting for the team to fail. I am simply being a realist. I have eyes. I saw what happened to the team last year and to think they are going to be better is - sorry - laughable. They lost a lot of talent, have a MUCH tougher schedule, the division is going to be better, and the Steelers are going to be worse.

That is the recipe for restocking, not making a "final run." And yes, the team will need to replace Ben, and soon. Next year. This draft is deep in talented QB's and LT's. **** a "final run." Fix those positions NOW.

lots of steeler fans are stuck on how long it took to find a QB between Bradshaw and Ben, but it's much different now. It used to take years to develop a QB. It was rare that a rookie QB played at all. Many 1st round QBs didn't start until like year 3. The college game was different too. It was far more run oriented.

The college game has changed and now most teams are using 3 and 4 WRs and throwing all over the place. The NFL has adopted many of the college concepts since they change the rules so much to neuter defenses. The learning curve is not as steep.

Another thing to consider is the rookie salary cap. It used to be that if you drafted a 1st round QB, you had to pay him a shitload of money which meant you were stuck with that guy for years and had to keep playing him and hoping he improved. Draft the wrong QB and it would set your franchise back 5 years.

With the rookie cap, you can draft a 1st round QB every year if you want. That's what the Cardinals did. They drafted Rosen then next year drafted Murray. There is absolutely no way they could have done that prior to the rookie cap.

The bottom line is that there are more QB prospects than ever, they can play sooner, and if they suck, you just draft another the next year and it doesn't hurt you.

By good offensive line, i mean a line that is good enough that Ben isn't running for his life and they can be an effective run team. You don't need 5 pro bowlers to have a good OL. Tampa is a great example of that.

Dotson was great for a rookie. I expect him to improve, but even if he stays level, he's not a liability. Decastro is not that old. I believe he was playing injured a bit and i expect him to be better. Even if he doesn't get back to his best, he's still an above average player.

I also expect Canada's scheme to help a great deal. His main strength is adapting to the strengths of his players. If you can get a LT that can be trusted on the blindside without help then that gives a good offensive coach a lot of ways to minimize weaknesses.

Ebron's not a great bl;ocker, but he can chip a DE to help the RT before he runs his route. JuJu and Claypool have size to be involved in chips and crackbacks. Fichtner did barely anything to help this OL.

Actually having a play action game helps the OL as well.

Again i ask, which NFL team has 5 above average starters AND quality depth behind it? If that is your standard for a "good" OL then prepare to be disappointed.

Chiefs and Packers looked destined to meet in the SB then they each suffered some injuries on the OL and they didn't have the depth to overcome it.
You keep bringing up the rest of league. Well, you can ask again, but I really don't have time to dissect 31 other NFL teams' offensive lines. Sorry. I follow the Steelers, and I believe in what I watched every week. What most of us can agree on is the Steelers' line was below average last year. From that group, Dotson and DeCastro return. We have different opinions about those guys. I think you're being overly optimistic about them; we'll see. Finney is a depth player, not an above average starter. Banner and Okorafor don't have proven track records as above average starters for any significant length of time. And I hate to tell you: They aren't going to find the next Jonathan Ogden sitting there at #24. Ben's too old to run for his life -- herein lies the problem.

I hope you're right about Canada, because they're going to need all the help they can get.

As for Highsmith, he only had 5 starts. He had 2 sacks. 5 tackle for loss and 6 QB Hits.
Here are TJ Watt's rookie stats in 15 starts. 7 sacks. 10 TFL. 13 Hits
Now let's extrapolate Highsmith's stats to 15 starts and you get 6 sacks. 15 TFL 18 Hits

That's not saying Highsmith will be as good as Watt, but he's already a quality starter and could improve.
I was including the playoff game for Highsmith's sixth start; one of his two sacks came earlier in the season, not as a starter.

I like how you're attempting to use Highsmith's entire season numbers, and cram those into the five regular season games he started. Nice try, but let's play the TRUE extrapolation game with only the six games he actually started: 1 sack, 2 TFL, and 5 QB hits. Over 15 games, that's 2.5 sacks, 5 TFL, and 13 QB hits. And that's with an all-world player starting on the other side.

Yes, I would hope you aren't planning on this average player ever becoming as good as TJ Watt. Already a "quality starter"? Don't think so.

lots of steeler fans are stuck on how long it took to find a QB between Bradshaw and Ben, but it's much different now. It used to take years to develop a QB. It was rare that a rookie QB played at all. Many 1st round QBs didn't start until like year 3. The college game was different too. It was far more run oriented.

The college game has changed and now most teams are using 3 and 4 WRs and throwing all over the place. The NFL has adopted many of the college concepts since they change the rules so much to neuter defenses. The learning curve is not as steep.

Another thing to consider is the rookie salary cap. It used to be that if you drafted a 1st round QB, you had to pay him a shitload of money which meant you were stuck with that guy for years and had to keep playing him and hoping he improved. Draft the wrong QB and it would set your franchise back 5 years.

With the rookie cap, you can draft a 1st round QB every year if you want. That's what the Cardinals did. They drafted Rosen then next year drafted Murray. There is absolutely no way they could have done that prior to the rookie cap.

The bottom line is that there are more QB prospects than ever, they can play sooner, and if they suck, you just draft another the next year and it doesn't hurt you.
It's a hard position to get a blue chip starter. This is a fact. For every team that finds one long term guy, 20 other teams fail over and over again. Every failure is multiple lost seasons. Then you start over. Draft the next guy 3-4 seasons, start over again.

A ton of teams end up this way. You can look down here by me. The Jaguars will be on their FOURTH high round 1 draft pick at quarterback since the Steelers went to 3 superbowls with one.

Maybe this kid Trevor Lawrence will be something for them, maybe he won't. There's no guarantee.

The Steelers will need to have a super ****** season to have a shot at one anyway. Maybe that happens this year. It's hard to say.

The Steelers have yet to win a championship without a future HOF QB.

They won an AFC Championship with a non-HOF QB.
And lost the superbowl when the quarterback all of a sudden starts looking right at Larry Brown and throwing to him. He ****** us. Guy split town after xxx too. Thanks for the parting gift *******.

Yeah, I'm still bitter about that..lol.

And lost the superbowl when the quarterback all of a sudden starts looking right at Larry Brown and throwing to him. He ****** us. Guy split town after xxx too. Thanks for the parting gift *******.

Yeah, I'm still bitter about that..lol.
I feel your pain...

But it was a championship.

Tell us how you really feel, Slash LOL
Simply replying to all the comments about when Ben goes we will go through another 25 before we find our next great one. I’ve been around long enough to watch every QBs between Terry and Ben. And every one of them were during Chuck & Bill’s tenure. You never know.....Tomlin might have a talent to pick a qb like he does wr.

And no....lol I don’t have much faith in our dear HC. I would have let him go after that wonderful playoff loss to Tebow
I USED to know a few NFL players. Not gonna try and say we were best buddies or in sphere of influence—but would see them frequently and recognize.

Tomlin actually has a ton of respect from his players. His reputation is highly regarded. I think it’s it’s important for him him to have Xs and Os coordinators around him.

He’s like the Anti-Andy Ried — the guy who does all the Xs and Os and one of the winningest coaches ever....but reputation wasn’t nearly as strong as Tomlin at creating a vision and had often outsmarted himself en route to losing games (see Super Bowl)

can we get back to we should we sign as a vet to start opposite of Haden and then Pierre if that good can challenge the vet
several good short term vets out there gathering little interest b/c of the low cap, as well Gilmore would be a good 1 year plug in. wouldn't cost more than a mid rounder. As for as OL if one of the top OT fall to 24 take and then in rnd 2 trade up for williams or Ettintie or settle for Sermon in the 3rd
i.e 24 OT Mayfield/Jenkins
rnd 2 Williams/Dickerson
rnd 3 Sermon/Stevenson Oklahoma
3 B OG Myers
4 CB Vincent Jr LSU
5 te Yeaboah

can we get back to we should we sign as a vet to start opposite of Haden and then Pierre if that good can challenge the vet
several good short term vets out there gathering little interest b/c of the low cap, as well Gilmore would be a good 1 year plug in. wouldn't cost more than a mid rounder. As for as OL if one of the top OT fall to 24 take and then in rnd 2 trade up for williams or Ettintie or settle for Sermon in the 3rd
i.e 24 OT Mayfield/Jenkins
rnd 2 Williams/Dickerson
rnd 3 Sermon/Stevenson Oklahoma
3 B OG Myers
4 CB Vincent Jr LSU
5 te Yeaboah
I know Dickerson is a solid talent just think with those medical risks that should be a round 3/4 selection.

I know Dickerson is a solid talent just think with those medical risks that should be a round 3/4 selection.

Yeah, I agree. If the Steelers are looking for a center in the first three rounds, Creed Humphrey just made his presence felt.

6'4", 305 lbs., 29 reps, 33" vertical (!), 112 broad jump (!). Good on film as well. Here he is at the Senior Bowl, working both LG and C:

I am now hoping that Humphrey is there at pick 128 or 140.

You keep bringing up the rest of league. Well, you can ask again, but I really don't have time to dissect 31 other NFL teams' offensive lines. Sorry. I follow the Steelers, and I believe in what I watched every week. What most of us can agree on is the Steelers' line was below average last year. From that group, Dotson and DeCastro return. We have different opinions about those guys. I think you're being overly optimistic about them; we'll see. Finney is a depth player, not an above average starter. Banner and Okorafor don't have proven track records as above average starters for any significant length of time. And I hate to tell you: They aren't going to find the next Jonathan Ogden sitting there at #24. Ben's too old to run for his life -- herein lies the problem.

I hope you're right about Canada, because they're going to need all the help they can get.

I keep bringing up the rest of the league because that's what matters. You play against opponents, not against a mirror. You seem to be evaluating the steelers against some ideal roster where a position either has a star player or is deficient. That's just not how it works. No team is like that.

They can't find the next Ogden at 24? They don't need an Ogden, they just need a good player. that;'s the point i'm making to you. Your standard is way too high. I'm not expecting some hall of famer. Maybe they'll get lucky and find one but if they get a guy who plays like Kelvin Beachum, it will be a big upgrade.

This draft class is pretty deep at OT. The steelers do have a very good chance to get a starter at 24, maybe even in Rd 2.

The OL plays as a unit. If you have 3 of 5 guys above the line you should be OK provided the other 2 are terrible. Finney isn't terrible. Chukes and Banner aren't terrible. It will also help if they get a TE that can block some. Vance was awful last year.

The current Steelers team has a future HOF QB who was under center as the team went 1-5 to end the year, lost crucial games to garbage teams like the Not-Redskins and the Bungles, got routed in the playoffs,

If things were that bad for the Steelers...

then lost their LT, C, RB, a 2nd TE, NT, OLB, CB and nickel CB.
....why is this a problem? Isn't the way you improve a team by replacing starters, especially underperforming ones. Given how bad the running game was, how is losing the starting running back an issue? Also, according to this fourm the LT and C you are complaining about losing weren't performing anyway.

The Steelers have also replaced the OC and O-line coach which may more than make up for any losses on the offensive side of the ball (although I'm not convinced as it seems regardless of who the OC has been, the Steeler Nation complaints don't seem to change much, so possibly the Offensive issues aren't entirely at the hands of the OC).