• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Release CB Steven Nelson

I’ll ask the opposite question. Why would you not keep Ben? It doesn’t stop you from drafting a QB. The only way you want Ben gone now is if you believe in Mason that much. It’s kind of funny how 1 decent game vs the browns and Rudolph goes from a guy people wanted cut to the possible next franchise QB and we should kick Ben out the door to let him have a chance.

Because re-signing Ben simply takes away some salary cap room from 2022. Doing that makes sense if the team needs cap room to keep the roster together and add a piece or two for a championship run.

2021 will be the final year of Ben Roethlisberger’s two-year contract extension. However, the Steelers had a tough decision to make. Roethlisberger was due to be paid a $15 million roster bonus on the third day of the 2021 league year. The Steelers could have avoided paying that if they were to cut Roethlisberger. Additionally, none of Ben Roethlisberger’s $4 million in base salary was guaranteed.

With the restructure in 2021, Roethlisberger reduced his $19 million in salary and roster bonus to $14 million in total. The Steelers also added 4 void years to the deal, which will spread the $12.95 million signing bonus across 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025. Roethlisberger will have a $10.4 million cap hit in 2022 when those void years accelerate onto the cap. Therefore, Roethlisberger has a $25.9 million cap hit in 2021.

So now Ben is paid $4 million in salary for 2021 and the roster bonus is actually lowered. Great.

Uhh, but the Steelers now get the cap hit of $10.4 million in 2022. Yes, quite a bit less than the $22 million hit this year, but so what? 2021 is not going to be a championship season. 2021 is not going to be a playoff season. 2021 is very likely not going to be a winning season, or a .500 season. It's not. Sorry.

So take your lumps in 2021, go 4-12, go into 2022 with even MORE cap room, use the next two drafts to restock with affordable, high-end talent (particularly with a top-8 pick in 2022), get the new QB acclimated and rock and roll.

Re-signing Ben does nothing of the sort. It's like painting the fender but then letting the engine fall out and three tires go flat. Okay, the fender looks better. But the car is ****.

i don’t see why people think this is a lost season. if they have a good draft, there’s no reason why the Steelers can’t contend next year.

Because the team finished 1-5 in their last six games and the roster is worse. The Steelers can contend next year even with Ben leaving IF they get a substantial influx of high-end, affordable talent - that is, if they get a top draft spot in 2022 and hit on their picks.

By the by, hitting on the picks is easier drafting top-8 every round, rather than 15th or whatever.

the guy said he was hoping for an extension before free agency started, he probably didn't like the offer they gave him and stormed out demanding to be cut.
It's ok to not like an offer as no one is forcing him to sign, but he already had an ongoing contract, why didn't he play his final year? Did the Steelers told him to either negotiate an extension or he would be cut?

According to Dulac, the Steelers viewed Nelson as the No. 2 and they couldn't afford his price this year.

In an offseason the Steelers needed to retool the offensive line and add talent at the skill positions has turned into an offseason with needs across the entire roster.

I don’t think they are in rebuild mode. Dotson looks like a real find at G and one would think Decastro has good year left. They are good at G. Chile’s and Banner are decent and they seem to like Banner’s potential. If they could get a good OT prospect in the first 2 rounds, this OL could be damn good this year.

If the OL is fixed the the offense can be very dangerous. DJ, JuJu, Claypool and Ebron are a really good group. Snell is decent and McFarland is a perfect fit for what Canada wants to do. With just 1 good OL pick, the offense could be top 10.

Defensively they should still be very good. Getting Bush back is a big help. The pass rush will be good again. Spillane is serviceable and maybe gets upgraded. The defense as is should be top half of league. Maybe they add a rookie DB or LB that has an impact and it goes to a top 10 defense.

This team still has plenty of talent.
Not in a rebuild mode?
You have a backup for a Center. a backup for a LT, a fading RG, a season long injury return at RT, a loss of two corners, a loss of a solid run stuffer, depleted depth at ILber and OLber. No starting RB.

Man I love me some win and some hope and dreams but **** this looks every bit like a rebuild. Or at the very least a lack of a restock. Which is apple and orang-ing a convo that ends with the same result.

Ultimate fail

According to Dulac, the Steelers viewed Nelson as the No. 2 and they couldn't afford his price this year.

In an offseason the Steelers needed to retool the offensive line and add talent at the skill positions has turned into an offseason with needs across the entire roster.

The question from neil coolong still applies, why didn't they cut him when they cut Vince for example?

You should be sentenced to 4 years hard time watching Mark Malone games just for saying that
And you should be forced to watch every pass especially in the first half of the last 10 games of this season. Put in the collapse of 2 years ago as well. You want depression. Go for it.

I don’t get why people think Ben will ride on his saviour horse and be all pro. It’s 2021. Not 2010.
I must be watching a different game I guess. Sure he will make a few great throws. Then he makes 10 **** ones. Gee. Maybe a few timely int’s. He’s done. Yes he has had many great moments. But what have you done for me lately?
The end is always brutal.

Why so many here automatically assume we are in for 15 years of Brister’s , Malone’s etc I just don’t get. Remember. That was on Chuck’s & Bill’s watch. Not Tomlin’s. You never know. What I do know is Ben won’t play forever. I really can’t remember the last big game he has won. I can remember tons that he has totally **** the bed/choked. No.... not all his fault, but hey. With all the glory comes some much deserved criticism as well.

I don’t think they are in rebuild mode. Dotson looks like a real find at G and one would think Decastro has good year left. They are good at G. Chile’s and Banner are decent and they seem to like Banner’s potential. If they could get a good OT prospect in the first 2 rounds, this OL could be damn good this year.

If the OL is fixed the the offense can be very dangerous. DJ, JuJu, Claypool and Ebron are a really good group. Snell is decent and McFarland is a perfect fit for what Canada wants to do. With just 1 good OL pick, the offense could be top 10.

Defensively they should still be very good. Getting Bush back is a big help. The pass rush will be good again. Spillane is serviceable and maybe gets upgraded. The defense as is should be top half of league. Maybe they add a rookie DB or LB that has an impact and it goes to a top 10 defense.

This team still has plenty of talent.

The team has no NFL caliber RB, LT, C, CB, slot corner, ILB, NT, TE and unless Claypool steps up in 2021, arguably no legitimate number 1 WR.

Love the optimism, tape, but this team has enough holes to fill the Albert Hall.

I’ll ask the opposite question. Why would you not keep Ben? It doesn’t stop you from drafting a QB. The only way you want Ben gone now is if you believe in Mason that much. It’s kind of funny how 1 decent game vs the browns and Rudolph goes from a guy people wanted cut to the possible next franchise QB and we should kick Ben out the door to let him have a chance.

i don’t see why people think this is a lost season. if they have a good draft, there’s no reason why the Steelers can’t contend next year.
Our D was supposed to be our strength. We lost 5 starters if you count Hilton. Haven't seen any upgrade on offense yet either.

Not in a rebuild mode?
You have a backup for a Center. a backup for a LT, a fading RG, a season long injury return at RT, a loss of two corners, a loss of a solid run stuffer, depleted depth at ILber and OLber. No starting RB.

Man I love me some win and some hope and dreams but **** this looks every bit like a rebuild. Or at the very least a lack of a restock. Which is apple and orang-ing a convo that ends with the same result.

Ultimate fail
That's sort of what I was getting at with my post as well. As it stands today, this team needs three new starters on offense (LT, C, RB) and three on defense (IDL, ILB, CB), not to mention the depth pieces you mentioned as well as others (TE, OLB, CB, S).

What am I missing about Trask that has some of y'all all fired up and believing he has franchise QB potential? I'm genuinely curious. Because I just don't see it. But, on the other hand, it's not like I spent a lot of time watching SEC football.... So, someone please enlighten me as to why we would even want Trask sitting behind Ben and Mason for a year and taking over in 2022.

Because the team finished 1-5 in their last six games and the roster is worse. The Steelers can contend next year even with Ben leaving IF they get a substantial influx of high-end, affordable talent - that is, if they get a top draft spot in 2022 and hit on their picks.

By the by, hitting on the picks is easier drafting top-8 every round, rather than 15th or whatever.
Oh yeah, and do this without Colbert, btw.

What am I missing about Trask that has some of y'all all fired up and believing he has franchise QB potential? I'm genuinely curious. Because I just don't see it. But, on the other hand, it's not like I spent a lot of time watching SEC football.... So, someone please enlighten me as to why we would even want Trask sitting behind Ben and Mason for a year and taking over in 2022.
What I like about Trask is he has a capable arm and can read defenses. A good release and good production to go with solid size. I haven't seen his pro day results. But that is what i see from him without that.

Many of times people get enamored with QBs that can't read D's but their legs can take off when things get rough. But those types often don't win championships IMO.

A pocket QB label gets a share amount of flack in evals, but I like me a good capable pocket passer.

Our D was supposed to be our strength. We lost 5 starters if you count Hilton. Haven't seen any upgrade on offense yet either.
What did we really lose? Alualu was a nice story for half a year, then he completely faded, and was being pushed around as much as anyone on the front. They have Wormley, Buggs, and Davis who offer more potential, and can do at least the same job; Vince Williams was a good locker room guy, and a fan-favorite, sure, but Mickey ******* Spillane (if you know, then you know) filled in admirably for Bush so I’m confident playing with Bush in the middle will be a bigger upgrade then watching Bince plod along out there; the Dupree loss sucks, but it was one that was expected, and he wasn’t worth the $85 million Tennessee just threw at him; Highsmith has a big role to fill, but he showed some flashes, and isn’t a total unknown; Mike Hilton, again, fan-favorite, and feel good story, but his biggest claim to fame was his three sack game against the Texans two years ago; how many times would they blitz him, unsuccessfully? It seemed like every other play Hilton was coming on the blitz; it’s not like he was a lockdown type player, but he was solid in run support; personally, I believe that Cam Sutton can make a bigger impact because the guy makes more splash plays than what Hilton did; Sutton had two picks, and forced three fumbles, with another recovery (if I’m not mistaken), with one more PD than Hilton had, and with much less playing time; the coaching staff went with him over Hilton; Nelson kinda came from nowhere, but there was much speculation thag either he or Haden were goners, and I think Haden is the better of the two, even being a year older; Inseem to recall Nelson being the guy picked on by Josh Allen, and Brian ******* Hoher two years ago, and against the Clowns in the playoffs; he was a solid player, but I don’t think that he can’t be replaced, and it’s time to see what a guy like Justin Layne can do, or they bring in someone else. The depth at OLB hurts, but Ola fell out of favor, and was hardly used once Dupree went down.

What did we really lose? Alualu was a nice story for half a year, then he completely faded, and was being pushed around as much as anyone on the front. They have Wormley, Buggs, and Davis who offer more potential, and can do at least the same job; Vince Williams was a good locker room guy, and a fan-favorite, sure, but Mickey ******* Spillane (if you know, then you know) filled in admirably for Bush so I’m confident playing with Bush in the middle will be a bigger upgrade then watching Bince plod along out there; the Dupree loss sucks, but it was one that was expected, and he wasn’t worth the $85 million Tennessee just threw at him; Highsmith has a big role to fill, but he showed some flashes, and isn’t a total unknown; Mike Hilton, again, fan-favorite, and feel good story, but his biggest claim to fame was his three sack game against the Texans two years ago; how many times would they blitz him, unsuccessfully? It seemed like every other play Hilton was coming on the blitz; it’s not like he was a lockdown type player, but he was solid in run support; personally, I believe that Cam Sutton can make a bigger impact because the guy makes more splash plays than what Hilton did; Sutton had two picks, and forced three fumbles, with another recovery (if I’m not mistaken), with one more PD than Hilton had, and with much less playing time; the coaching staff went with him over Hilton; Nelson kinda came from nowhere, but there was much speculation thag either he or Haden were goners, and I think Haden is the better of the two, even being a year older; Inseem to recall Nelson being the guy picked on by Josh Allen, and Brian ******* Hoher two years ago, and against the Clowns in the playoffs; he was a solid player, but I don’t think that he can’t be replaced, and it’s time to see what a guy like Justin Layne can do, or they bring in someone else. The depth at OLB hurts, but Ola fell out of favor, and was hardly used once Dupree went down.
It is more what didn't come in the door than what was lost. Although Bud was a significant loss. Hilton and Al to lesser degrees when compared to who is there to replace them. When you fail to restock in the process of clearing players you end up weaker than you left off. What upgrades were brought in? Hard to pluck four starters needed for THIS season from the draft. LT/CB/ and RB and C. Hard to get capable depth when free agents have been plucked elsewhere and you spent half your draft trying to find starters for this season.

It really is all about BigBen. You reload with Big Ben or rebuild.

The FO decided to mask their rebuild with keeping Ben.

That is how it looks.

Still can claim they aren't rebuilding right sell tickets Ben is still here see?

We are in the desert and we have been presented with a mirage. They have thrown you a couple sips of water and present it like it is a watering hole.

I guess we have to trust the process and see how this plays out between now and the start of next year. Still have a lot of time between now and then and a lot can still happen. We can still create some more room cap wise and hopefully have a solid draft.

With that being said I think we need to temper the expectation that we are winning the Super Bowl. I’m just expecting to stay competitive and hopefully have a killer draft to set us up for the future. We also should have quite a bit of money next year to spend in free agency.

It is more what didn't come in the door than what was lost. Although Bud was a significant loss. Hilton and Al to lesser degrees when compared to who is there to replace them. When you fail to restock in the process of clearing players you end up weaker than you left off. What upgrades were brought in? Hard to pluck four starters needed for THIS season from the draft. LT/CB/ and RB and C. Hard to get capable depth when free agents have been plucked elsewhere and you spent half your draft trying to find starters for this season.

It really is all about BigBen. You reload with Big Ben or rebuild.

The FO decided to mask their rebuild with keeping Ben.

That is how it looks.

Still can claim they aren't rebuilding right sell tickets Ben is still here see?

We are in the desert and we have been presented with a mirage. They have thrown you a couple sips of water and present it like it is a watering hole.

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name..................................

Salute the nation

I guess we have to trust the process and see how this plays out between now and the start of next year. Still have a lot of time between now and then and a lot can still happen. We can still create some more room cap wise and hopefully have a solid draft.

With that being said I think we need to temper the expectation that we are winning the Super Bowl. I’m just expecting to stay competitive and hopefully have a killer draft to set us up for the future. We also should have quite a bit of money next year to spend in free agency.

No way, if 16 game season the we go 20-0, Super Bowl champions........................................ (rog has us play one extra on our bye week)

Salute the nation

I look at how the season ended and kinda picture that as what 2021 will look like. I hope I am wrong though. We also have to consider we are playing a very tough schedule. Bush will help, but he has been inconsistent. We lost 2 "starting" CBs and dont have much in the wings, and our Dline was starting to get pushed around. Heyward and Tuitt are no spring chickens. I believe Watt and Highsmith will be alright, but if one of them goes down yikes.... The oline is more than 1 player away from being even serviceable let along good IMO, unless it was strictly scheme / coaching. I think the team will go as the Oline goes. If we can keep the ball and give the D proper rest we can be competitive. Maybe the team will play w/ an edge for Ben?

1. Snell is decent and McFarland is a perfect fit for what Canada wants to do. With just 1 good OL pick, the offense could be top 10.

2. Defensively they should still be very good. Getting Bush back is a big help. The pass rush will be good again.
1. AGREED 100%. but i think an OL FA could gel the line as well. not sure about this draft class at LT.

2. Um, i DISAGREE. They dont know it but, the damn D NEEDS a goddamn Nose Tackle. Alualu played ******* lights out and what happens? despite a rash of injuries, our pass rush gets home without the blitz every single time. Defense has their first stellar year since J-Peezy. Imagine that.

I am not sure at all that Buggs can play like Alualu. The D may be significantly worse this year. ...And the media will blame it on the Gildonger Bud Dupree leaving.

Alualu was not getting pushed around, he kicking people's *** all year round.

Also, they lost Old MacDonald. whom was not an inconsiderable loss.

So what vet to replace him with with a similar juju type deal
Butler
Sherman
Breeland
Alexander
Norman
Kirkpatrick

And you should be forced to watch every pass especially in the first half of the last 10 games of this season. Put in the collapse of 2 years ago as well. You want depression. Go for it.

I don’t get why people think Ben will ride on his saviour horse and be all pro. It’s 2021. Not 2010.
I must be watching a different game I guess. Sure he will make a few great throws. Then he makes 10 **** ones. Gee. Maybe a few timely int’s. He’s done. Yes he has had many great moments. But what have you done for me lately?
The end is always brutal.

Why so many here automatically assume we are in for 15 years of Brister’s , Malone’s etc I just don’t get. Remember. That was on Chuck’s & Bill’s watch. Not Tomlin’s. You never know. What I do know is Ben won’t play forever. I really can’t remember the last big game he has won. I can remember tons that he has totally **** the bed/choked. No.... not all his fault, but hey. With all the glory comes some much deserved criticism as well.
Some “sentence”.... clearly you haven’t watched the games again as I actually have.

I watched Ben as I have most wanted to see him operate in the offense I most want to see him in. I don’t want the Ben that throws for 5000 yards. I want the Ben Ben picking and choosing his spots downfield & the running game carrying its share of the load.

The running game worked “ok” through the first half of the 1st Baltimore game. They only went pass heavy when teams started to play defense against us differently. Loading the line of scrimmage vs. playing a bit back. Our offensive line was not able to move quickly enough and the overload made for many missed assignments & many unblocked defenders.

But I’m betting you haven’t rewatched a single game & have no clue as to what I really am talking about.

As far as the last big game “Ben won”... if you didn’t watch his 2nd half vs. Colts you should really rewatch that 2nd half in the 1st Baltimore game.

The simple fact is that you’re ******** your own bed — but with 5 4th quarter comebacks this year Ben passed legends John Elway, Dan Marino & Johnny Unitas to move to 3rd on the All-Time list. Try and watch games with your eyes open for a change.

As Ben Shapiro puts it: Facts don’t care about your feelings. And it’s a fact that you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

I'm quite a bit older than you, FSF, and remember watching Terry Hanratty as QB. My point remains - the team is in rebuild mode THIS YEAR, not next. When you are in rebuild mode, scheming together a roster designed to go 7-9 is a huge mistake.

Re-*******-build. Take your medicine, go 4-12 or 3-13, get a top-tier draft spot, get the comp picks, use the cap space in 2022 to sign a legit FA or two, and the rebuild is done.

The approach of re-signing Ben, going 7-9 and winding up with the 15th pick, rather than simply taking the cap hit this season, drafting Trask and having him learn for a year while watching Rudolph and Haskins (my approach) to gear up for 2022, and then stocking up on OL and the skill positions in this draft and next and having that talent paired with a very good defense in the very near future makes a lot more sense.

Instead, the tactic seems to be going 7-9, getting the 15th pick to select a new QB for 2022 in a weak QB draft, then tossing the new guy under the bus with less talent around him because lower draft spot.

No thanks.
What about watching Terry Hanratty play qualifies your prediction that the Steelers go 7-9 with Ben? How are we supposed to know that the Steelers go 4-12 without Ben?

Have you even read the redrafting series? Even having the #7 pick in 1989 plus the #24 pick didn’t help the Steelers in the least—and they drafted a RB and LT. How did that work out for them?

If you’re old enough to have watched Hanratty — were you also one of those who clamored for the Steelers to draft him #4 overall only to find him in 2nd round?

A team that started 11-0 and has the core of the defense returning, yet you say it’s a rebuilding year? I’ll argue that if not for 4 players getting ACL tears & the Covid debacle right when the team was hitting a groove at Thanksgiving (they were playing with confidence and in rhythm) until 3 games in 12 days took a very physical toll on them. That’s when the rash of injuries took over on them & began to struggle. The Washington loss, 4 of their defensive starters were on the field when they surrendered that comeback. And Washington was coming off 10 day rest vs Steelers 4 day rest.

Just imagine that they play Baltimore on Thanksgiving and beat them - staying healthy—and get their- 10 day rest. At that point, I’ll bet a rested & healthy Steelers team would be 12-0 with the Division championship clinched. Instead it was 1983 all over again.

And 1984 that 83 core was the only one to beat 49ers en route to AFCCG—do you think maybe if Bradshaw were there for 1 last time they could have beaten Miami and faced off vs. 49ers in Super Bowl?

Rebuilding year? Why in Gods name have you quit on a season that hasn’t even started?

Just one mor thing-
What if they do like 2003-2004, and take the Running Game from 31st to 1st? That worked out pretty well if I recall.