• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select CB Artie Burns - Miami

When are these fools going to get it: You don't use a first round pick on someone who hasn't really shinned in terms of already having quality on tape/results. That is what round 7 is for. Could they luck out with burns? They could. But you use the Jimmy Johnson/Big Tuna philosophy which is prior playing success trumps all else, including combine #s. Prior production is the Holy Grail; nothing trumps it. But they went for "potential" over all else here.

You can't really be serious with this, can you? How many examples are there of a player producing like crazy in college only to be next to nothing in the NFL. Hell, Gerrod Holliman last year was one. This is the exact reason WHY teams look at potential when it comes to a player.

There was no panic in any of those picks. Maybe you panic for a bit when you get a bad health diagnosis, or you are lost in a bad neighborhood. You don't panic over draft picks. Quit using hyperbole. Panic. Gimme a break.

The problem today is anyone with a computer and can get on ******' youtube thinks he is a player evaluating genius. I am not saying some of you guys aren't good at it. However, none of you talk to the college coaches, or see coaches tape or anything like that. Doesn't that have to be considered a little bit?

There was no panic in any of those picks. Maybe you panic for a bit when you get a bad health diagnosis, or you are lost in a bad neighborhood. You don't panic over draft picks. Quit using hyperbole. Panic. Gimme a break.

The problem today is anyone with a computer and can get on ******' youtube thinks he is a player evaluating genius. I am not saying some of you guys aren't good at it. However, none of you talk to the college coaches, or see coaches tape or anything like that. Doesn't that have to be considered a little bit?

No, that approach is too reasonable.

Truth is that NONE of the 1st round CBs are without flaws (Except Ramsey, IMO). All of them are projects to some degree. Burns has the MOST reason to be flawed in his tape as he was a 2-sport guy and dealing with being a father to two teenagers and a newborn as well as the death of his mom. This kid has the biggest upside, IMO. What scares me is that the history of our CB evaluations has been abysmal. We may actually have something in Golson and we have Cockrell and Gay. We have no depth. We can find depth later which is one explanation as to why its safe to take a high upside CB early.

Hopefully they can get a "tape guy" like Taveze Calhoun, Kalan Reed (pff redemption) or Sean Davis with a later pick.

Truth is that NONE of the 1st round CBs are without flaws (Except Ramsey, IMO). All of them are projects to some degree. Burns has the MOST reason to be flawed in his tape as he was a 2-sport guy and dealing with being a father to two teenagers and a newborn as well as the death of his mom. This kid has the biggest upside, IMO. What scares me is that the history of our CB evaluations has been abysmal. We may actually have something in Golson and we have Cockrell and Gay. We have no depth. We can find depth later which is one explanation as to why its safe to take a high upside CB early.

Hopefully they can get a "tape guy" like Taveze Calhoun, Kalan Reed (pff redemption) or Sean Davis with a later pick.

bullshit until WJIII went to the bungles he was a sure fire HOF CB...now he will be lucky to complete his rookie contract

Regardless of who drafts him, I'll be rooting for that young man. Guy is raising his little brothers, along with his own child, after his Mom died of a heart attack last season (dad's in prison). By all accounts, he's taken it better than most would, he's been a good example to his siblings from what I've read

Welp. Guess I have a lil' extra motivation for rooting this kid on now, don't I? :wink-new:

Maybe. Last year to me was average defense.

2015: Good Offense + Average Defense = 11-5 season
2014: Good Offense + Bad Defense = 8-8 season
2013: Average Offense + Average Defense = 8-8 season

I sort of suspect another Good Offense + Average Defense again and likely another 10-12 win season.

If we can ever get the defense to be good (maybe even for a spurt at the right time), I think that leads to the potential of a deep playoff run. Until then, average might be good enough for playoffs, but not much more.

For all the detailed analysis you tend to provide, I was surprised to see that you got the Steelers' records for 2015 and 2014 wrong. Respectively, those seasons were 10-6 and 11-5, not 11-5 and 8-8.

Do you remember how ike Taylor would take care of his wr man to man on one side while the rest of the team played zone? I think that's where they are trying to go with Burns because the kid has the tools to play like that. It was impossible to do with the smaller cbs we have had lately but maybe this the reason that they don't care that burns is not so much of a cover zone guy

He can play zone too. Not convinced he was the BPA, but not going to say he is a ****** pick eiter.

We are no longer an elite team that can afford the luxury of BPA - but we need STARTERS in our secondary NOW and not 2-3 years from now as this guy gets the splinters out of his *** and sees the field as a starting CB

I read some hilarious homer article from Tibs' yinzer fan site how Tomlin will take him under his wing and coach him up to be the best of the best - HA! Tomlin couldn't get the last dozen secondary picks to be worth **** - now his miracle CB coaching will save the day?

Pul-leeze

the Steelers draft so far

Rd 1 REACH

Rd 2 HYBRID - REACH

Rd 3 Good pick - if they had drafted him #25 I wouldn't had a problem with this draft at all

That's just plain dumb Spike. But you'll have to live with it as the season unfolds. Make sure you save these posts for future reference.

And please enlighten us who these rookie 'starters in our secondary' are that you would have preferred they pick?

...we need STARTERS in our secondary NOW

Last edited:
That's just plain dumb Spike. But you'll have to live with it as the season unfolds. Make sure you save these posts for future reference.

So you say Artie is a Day 1 starter

OK. We'll hold you to that.

We are no longer an elite team that can afford the luxury of BPA - but we need STARTERS in our secondary NOW and not 2-3 years from now as this guy gets the splinters out of his *** and sees the field as a starting CB

I read some hilarious homer article from Tibs' yinzer fan site how Tomlin will take him under his wing and coach him up to be the best of the best - HA! Tomlin couldn't get the last dozen secondary picks to be worth **** - now his miracle CB coaching will save the day?

Pul-leeze

the Steelers draft so far

Rd 1 REACH

Rd 2 HYBRID - REACH

Rd 3 Good pick - if they had drafted him #25 I wouldn't had a problem with this draft at all

Doesn't your comment about the round 3 pick defeat your argument. Why take a guy you got in the 3rd round at the tail end of the first? That's about as clueless as saying the pick at 25 was a huge reach when he likely wouldn't be available at 58, and you end up taking a more inferior CB there.

If you take a guy in the 1st rd with 3rd rd talent - you still have a 3rd rd talent as your first pick - I would have went a different way

But you say he'll be our starting CB on Day 1 - so we'll see how that turns out

I saw a familiar theme with all three picks, production production. With Burns he had 6 INTs, Davis had tackles out the ying yang what you want from your SS, and although small school Javon showed the ability to get to the QB. You can rotate him in.........

Where you might have wanted this or that PLAYER more. I think their blueprint so far has been solid.

So you say Artie is a Day 1 starter OK. We'll hold you to that.

I must've been watching a different team for the past thirty years. Didn't know our rookies had to be Day 1 starters to be considered good draft picks. And I never said that about Burns. In another thread, I wrote this:

Burns will be worked into the rotation, he has all the skills in the world to be a big-time starting corner for years to come. Is that not what you want from a first round pick? He probably will reach his potential a few years down the line, as you'd expect from a soon to be 21 year old who was a two-sport star in college. And there's no reason to think Burns won't help in the short term either. He will get on the field in nickel & dime packages, shoring up a secondary that's been downright terrible.

I understand you have hurt feelings cause the Steelers didn't pick the players you wanted. Hopefully, over the next few weeks and months you can work down those emotions and try to see a sliver of light with what Colbert & Tomlin are trying to accomplish here. A few years ago Colbert re-built the O-line. He is clearly in the process of doing the same with our secondary. When there's a clear problem area, the Steelers take steps to fix it. I happen to applaud this approach. You tend to curl up beneath the bed and sniffle about your favorite pre-draft players we didn't draft. To each his own.

I must've been watching a different team for the past thirty years. Didn't know our rookies had to be Day 1 starters to be considered good draft picks

You say he's so good and will be a Day 1 starter

I say it'll take at least a year on the bench

that's the bet - end of story

It's only for a beer, what you got to lose? Be a man and take a stand for once, no waffling

You say he's so good and will be a Day 1 starter
Been hitting the bottle early? And/or can you not read? Geez Spike. I'm saying he'll get on the field his rookie year. You're saying he won't play at all. So if that's the bet I'll take it. We'll have to work out the logistics of how you're gonna send me a bottle of beer across the pond, but we'll figure it out.

Still waiting for your list of surefire Day 1 starters in our secondary that we should have picked instead of the guys we did.

no no no

Geez Spike. I'm saying he'll get on the field his rookie year. You're saying he won't play at all. So if that's the bet

That's waffling ' get on the field' could mean one S.T. play

you take him as a starting CB or not - that's the bet

Need your binkie to help you decide?

Exclusive!

First ever on-line photo of Tibs

2r7yhra.jpg

Last edited:
You have Gay **** with starting experience, how would any corner be a day 1 starter?

That's about as clueless as saying the pick at 25 was a huge reach when he likely wouldn't be available at 58, and you end up taking a more inferior CB there.
Exactly. Also, available at #58? :eek-new: This bears repeating:

Artie Burns draft slot in NFL.com final mock drafts:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts

Daniel Jeremiah Pick #30 Carolina
Mike Mayock Pick #29 Arizona
Bucky Brooks Pick #28 Kansas City
Charley Casserly Pick #25 Pittsburgh
Charles Davis Pick #25 Pittsburgh

Pre-draft CB rankings

Pro Football Draft Guide > 4. Apple, 6. Burns, 9. WJackson III
Pro Football Weekly > 4. Burns, 5. Apple, 9. WJackson III
Lindey's > 3. Apple, 6. WJackson III, 7. Burns
Athlon Sports > 4. Apple, 6. Burns, 7. WJackson III

He was also #4 in del's CB rankings

Exclusive!First ever on-line photo of Tibs
Spike, you're really slipping man. Try to get a hold of yourself. When things are a bit better, come back and we can talk football.

MY GOD. Take a stand - make the bet!

It's what real men do.