• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select CB Artie Burns - Miami

Very few players at any position make it just on their physical abilities. Even a guy like Deon Sanders studied film and read routes to gain an advantage. Of course Burns has to learn better technique but i think that is the easier part.

Burns 40 time is fast enough. I see a guy with more real game speed than track speed. That's strange to say for a track guy but he was a hurdler, not a sprinter. Besides, those long arms make him one of the fastest players in the draft because they make up a step on the field.

I do think that the track training hurt some of his football measurables. Bench means nothing. He has long arms which makes the bench tougher and he likely did not lift with the football team very often. Strength is not a worry to me. He will add strength when the trainers get him.

I see a guy who looks natural with his instincts and ball skills. Kind of like Braxton Miller does. I'd rather have Braxton Miller than most of the WRs in this draft.

The vibes tell me we could have a another Dri Archer thread going.....

sweet

I don't see this "great, raw, athlete" like some seem to think of this guy.
I'm a little confused regarding your apparent disdain for Burns. What is it that you wanted the Steelers to do, as far as picking a CB?

In your CB rankings, you had him at #4, which is exactly where he got picked, behind Hargreaves, Apple & WJIII.

deljzc said:
Artie Burns, Miami
Looks the part to be a successful NFL player. Needs some refinement to game but exhibits a lot of traits you like. Size is good, length is very good and shows adequate speed and movement skills. Can play man, bump and off-man and shows some ability in zone. Tackling could be better and needs to show some more urgency in run support. Has nice burst off edge in blitz packages. Likely has a limited ceiling but could be a very good pro.

In your final top 50 overall rankings, you had Burns at #31. He got drafted at #25. Close enough.

Seeing how we're picking at the bottom of the 2nd, which CB would you have rather picked, if not Burns @ 25? Who do you think would have fallen that far?

Your notes on the CB's still on the board:
http://steelernation.com/showthread.php?7273-2016-Draft-CB-Evaluations

Mackensie Alexander - "... not a finished product. Is still very sloppy with this footwork and needs commitment to the craft. Very boom/bust prospect in my opinion"
Rashard Robinson - "Character/off-field issues...he could just as likely be a bad apple."
Xavien Howard - "the longer the play lasts, the worse he gets. Cannot stick with receivers for long and often loses them downfield. Average ball awareness skills and doesn’t have a feel for when ball is in air."
Kendall Fuller - "Not a big fan of tape... lack of “intuition” for the position and often looks great on one play and awful on the next."
Will Redmon - "Upside is limited because of height/length issues."
Kaevarae Russell - "Not a playmaker. Curious about his 40-time and looks in the 4.5 range. Not a burner ...Coming off broken leg. Missed 2014 (academic dishonesty)."

Nobody is claiming Artie Burns is without faults, or is a 5 star player. I do think he was clearly the best CB on the board (as your own rankings confirm). I also think there's no way he's on the board in the 2nd round, and the other alternatives - based on your list - fall well below what we got in Burns. I think the Steelers made the right decision. Looking forward to seeing this kid play, and hopefully progress into a capable starting cornerback.

Last edited:
But as I recall there were two tapes on Jarvis Jones. Tapes when he played second and third rate talent and tape when he played the big boys. And if you remember how he came into preseason, he was all over the field against the scrubs. Then came the starters and presto, chango, dissapearo.

I'm a little confused regarding your apparent disdain for Burns. What is it that you wanted the Steelers to do, as far as picking a CB?

In your CB rankings, you had him at #4, which is exactly where he got picked, behind Hargreaves, Apple & WJIII.

In your final top 50 overall rankings, you had Burns at #31. He got drafted at #25. Close enough.

Seeing how we're picking at the bottom of the 2nd, which CB would you have rather picked, if not Burns @ 25? Who do you think would have fallen that far?

Your notes on the CB's still on the board:
http://steelernation.com/showthread.php?7273-2016-Draft-CB-Evaluations

Mackensie Alexander - "... not a finished product. Is still very sloppy with this footwork and needs commitment to the craft. Very boom/bust prospect in my opinion"
Rashard Robinson - "Character/off-field issues...he could just as likely be a bad apple."
Xavien Howard - "the longer the play lasts, the worse he gets. Cannot stick with receivers for long and often loses them downfield. Average ball awareness skills and doesn’t have a feel for when ball is in air."
Kendall Fuller - "Not a big fan of tape... lack of “intuition” for the position and often looks great on one play and awful on the next."
Will Redmon - "Upside is limited because of height/length issues."
Kaevarae Russell - "Not a playmaker. Curious about his 40-time and looks in the 4.5 range. Not a burner ...Coming off broken leg. Missed 2014 (academic dishonesty)."

Nobody is claiming Artie Burns is without faults, or is a 5 star player. I do think he was clearly the best CB on the board (as your rankings confirm). I also think there's no way he's on the board in the 2nd round, and the other alternatives - based on your list - fall well below what we got in Burns. I think the Steelers made the right decision. Looking forward to seeing this kid play, and hopefully progess into a capable starting cornerback.

The things we will never know. did they investigate a trade up to get the more polished Jackson III. What was the cost? A team payed a 5th next year to move up a spot. How much would two or three cost. Could burns be had with the 31st and have at least gotten the third that could have moved them up to the mid second round.

Oh... I have no doubt he was the only corner left. At least until you get into Sean Davis, who I really liked and could go in round 3 or other late round projects like we traditionally have taken.

But last I checked that's not the way supposedly "good" teams draft is it? Do you really think we had to go CB no matter what? I'm not the one that just released Cortez Allen for no apparent reason right before the draft (thus telling Cincinnati and every other team what our greatest need was). I'm not the one that never moves in a draft up or down and every other team knows that. I'm not the one that leaked a story to the local beat writer that we were taken Cornerback not matter what in round 1.

All those things are on Tombert.

So the issue isn't whether Burns fits a need. It desperately does. But why we would ever be in a position where we can only select one player on an entire board no matter what.

P.S. And on my final analysis/Big Board... Burns was #42 overall (no quarterbacks which means it's more like #45-#46 overall).

I just don't get the pick. It's like they assumed WJIII was going to be there he gets picked and we panic and just take the next CB on our board regardless of what value he is at 25.

by several accounts this isn't what happened, at all and they had Burns valued at that pick, too. Otherwise, they would have taken the trade, I think.

Not that i don't think Burns has talent, but i would have rather taken the trade. He might have been still been there at 31, Billings or Alexander or Spence would have nice pics at 31 also. But, instead, its Tombert rushing the card in again without even considering or negotiating a possible trade. I give them an F and it has nothing to do with Burns, i wish the kid well and will be rooting for him to succeed and help out our D.

by several accounts this isn't what happened, at all and they had Burns valued at that pick, too. Otherwise, they would have taken the trade, I think.

I very much doubt it happened differently. It reminds me when we took Landry Jones or Golson last year. A team in front of us did something we didn't expect and bam we just fall apart. It's like we have no composure when something unexpectedly happens.

P.S. And on my final analysis/Big Board... Burns was #42 overall (no quarterbacks which means it's more like #45-#46 overall).

But if you take out the other positions they were unlikely to draft (WR/OG/RB), that puts him at around 33, which is only 8 spots, top of the second round..

Around 12 of your top 32 (should be 9 of top 29, I guess) did not get drafted in round 1. This leaves several that were not in your top 29 that did. Some may be mistakes by the club, but some may be bad rankings by you, yes?

I very much doubt it happened differently. It reminds me when we took Landry Jones or Golson last year. A team in front of us did something we didn't expect and bam we just fall apart. It's like we have no composure when something unexpectedly happens.

yet, some mocks had us taking Burns even with WJIII on the board. Not much to back up your belief while there seems to be quite a bit backing up the idea that they wanted Burns.

It seems like Golson wasn't some panic pick either. A couple of other DB's were picked before the FSU dude that people wanted. Due to injury, we have no idea whether the Golson pick was good or not. No idea how Landry gets into this, though.

Pure speculation on your part. It's been confirmed Burns was that high on their rankings, quite possibly higher than WJIII. So you must realize this is all going on in your head, something you're basically making up to fit a preconceived notion, that the Steelers 'panicked' because of the Bengals pick.

just from this thread

If Dulac was correct, Artie Burns was their guy for weeks.

Oh... I have no doubt he was the only corner left. At least until you get into Sean Davis, who I really liked and could go in round 3 or other late round projects like we traditionally have taken.

But last I checked that's not the way supposedly "good" teams draft is it? Do you really think we had to go CB no matter what? I'm not the one that just released Cortez Allen for no apparent reason right before the draft (thus telling Cincinnati and every other team what our greatest need was). I'm not the one that never moves in a draft up or down and every other team knows that. I'm not the one that leaked a story to the local beat writer that we were taken Cornerback not matter what in round 1.

All those things are on Tombert.

So the issue isn't whether Burns fits a need. It desperately does. But why we would ever be in a position where we can only select one player on an entire board no matter what.

I do think the way this draft unfolded that they had to go CB no matter what. Specifically Burns. If the steelers did not like Mackenzie, then there may have been a steep drop after Burns. They may have found themselves in the same situation of drafting their first CB in the 4th with a guy like Crawley of Colorado or Young of Temple.

Personally, i think there's a good shot the steeler will still take a guy like Crawley or Young later.

The only guy i could have seen taking ahead of Burns there would be Spence. I said previously that i see that as the biggest team need and i like Spence a lot. But they steelers pre draft visits don't show they feel the same as they did not visit many OLB prospects.

With all the quality DL prospects still on the board, i can't see taking any of them ahead of Burns when so many DBs were off the board.

I advocate a Tiered Drafting strategy which is something the steelers probably used. That means you do your rankings and then you put each position into tiers which correspond approximately to the round you would be willing to take them.

If you look at it that way, the box with top DBs was basically down to 1 name, Burns. The DL box is still overflowing with players. So much so, that i can see the steelers taking a so called "luxury" pick like WR, TE, or RB in round 2. If the steelers are on the clock and they still see 10 DL that they like, then they should take something else. I think that's what happened with Burns.

As for what a dumbass move it was to not move down to #31 in a trade with the Donkeys, because FOR SURE Burns would have been there.

NFL.com final mock drafts:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts

Daniel Jeremiah Pick #30 Carolina - "The Panthers have a need at CB and Burns is a good scheme fit."
Mike Mayock Pick #29 Arizona - "I know teams with a third-round grade on Burns and others that believe he could end up the best corner in this draft."
Bucky Brooks Pick #28 Kansas City - "The Chiefs could elect to add an athletic CB2 to pair with Marcus Peters in the secondary. "
Charley Casserly Pick #25 Pittsburgh - "Some will say this is a reach but he is my next best cornerback."
Charles Davis Pick #25 Pittsburgh - "A confident player with some length, Burns can run and make plays on the ball downfield. He's needed to help the Steelers deal with the Bengals' A.J. Green and Ravens' Steve Smith."

But nooooooo, PFF gave us a D so it must have been a HUGE reach and dumb pick. lol

Last edited:
I think it's important for people down on the Burns pick to realize that the only criticisms of Burns is WHERE he was picked. Not whether he's a good player. Del seems to dislike the pick but he still has him rated 42 which at pick 25 makes him only about a reach of 17 picks. A slight reach. The way this draft was going, there is no way in hell he would have been available in Round 2 for the steelers.

Also with so many DBs gone, that means it may be another reach situation in Round 2 and possibly 3.

yet, some mocks had us taking Burns even with WJIII on the board. Not much to back up your belief while there seems to be quite a bit backing up the idea that they wanted Burns.

It seems like Golson wasn't some panic pick either. A couple of other DB's were picked before the FSU dude that people wanted. Due to injury, we have no idea whether the Golson pick was good or not. No idea how Landry gets into this, though.
Maybe they did have Burns rated up there worthy of our pick. If so we definitely need a new GM.

Golson was taken because we tried to move up for Jalen Collins but the Panthers made a better offer and then Atlanta took Collins. Jones was picked because we were dead set to take a QB after the raiders took that Wilson from Arkansas.

I very much hope that this was some stupid knee jerk reaction because if what you say is true and they don't think this was a reach we are in way more trouble than I thought.

While I have similar issues with the pick (some of his tape is horrible) Burns does have upside...whether we can develop it is to be seen.

Now that it's done I can only hope we take BPA from here on out and hope to get a potential CB in the mix. I really put Sean davis in the mix at CB (he is a great tackler already and has the CB physical tools to develop just like Burns BUT could make a better FS if the CB position doesn't work out.

Others like Taveze Calhoun, Kalan Reed and Ryan Smith should be available in the later rounds.

2016_BurnsPresser_CP3_0429kr.jpg

Burns: 'I am playing for the team, the city'
http://www.steelers.com/news/draft/...the-city/d43c6fad-84c8-4342-9c15-20f99b84756b

Steelers' No. 1 draft pick Artie Burns is ready to get rolling in Pittsburgh.

It’s been a hectic 24 hours for Steelers cornerback Artie Burns, the team’s No. 1 draft pick, but one that he welcomes with open arms.

“It’s crazy to be drafted to a great organization, a great family,” said Burns after arriving in Pittsburgh. “As soon as I got off the plane all I saw was black and yellow. It’s great to get that kind of support from the fans, from the city.”

That black and yellow, or gold in this case, is one of the reasons Burns wanted to be drafted by the Steelers. His youth football team was the Steelers, sporting the same colors, and that turned him on to becoming a Steelers fan.

“First it was the colors. That black and yellow stands out,” Burns said with a smile. “But there have been so many great athletes that have come through here and they stay around for a long time here in Pittsburgh. Just watching them growing up, dominating in Super Bowls, they have always been that top end team year in and year out. Now to play for them, it’s special.”

Burns played running back in youth football, so the first Steelers player he had his eye on was running back Jerome Bettis.

“I loved how aggressive he was,” said Burns. “I loved his style and wanted to play that same style. And everyone, including me, keeps an eye on Big Ben (Roethlisberger) when watching the Steelers.

“Then there is the defense. There are so many great defensive players that the list goes on and on. It’s great to be a part of it.”

Burns said it will be interesting to have to defend against Roethlisberger in training camp and practices after watching him play, but he is ready to do it.

“I watched him and now I have to go against him,” said Burns. “I am going to do it like I do everything else, go at it 100 percent. Just get after everybody on the field.

“I just need to go out and play Steelers defense. It’s a tough, smash mouth, smart defense. The Steelers are a great defense, known for it, bend but don’t break. It means a lot to be a part of it.”

Burns, who turns 21 on May 1, said whatever way he celebrates his birthday you can be sure a Terrible Towel will be nearby because he knows he is not just representing the team, he is representing Pittsburgh.

“I am playing for the team, for the city,” said Burns. “I want to please everybody in the building, and please everybody in the city. We want the fans out there standing on their feet.”

From a human standpoint, there's a lot going on with him.

Dad's serving a 25-year sentence for cocaine trafficking. Mom dies of a heart attack at 44. Two younger brothers to take care of (I doubt they come to Pittsbrugh with him however, so who knows what's going to happen with them). He has a child out of wedlock.

Lots of peripheral things in his life. Hope he's up to the task of becoming a professional athlete.

Young Artie would be the "EXACT" type of person God would pick as a leader in Biblical times...but, we can talk about that over on the other side...

But if you take out the other positions they were unlikely to draft (WR/OG/RB), that puts him at around 33, which is only 8 spots, top of the second round..

Around 12 of your top 32 (should be 9 of top 29, I guess) did not get drafted in round 1. This leaves several that were not in your top 29 that did. Some may be mistakes by the club, but some may be bad rankings by you, yes?
Ark, stop bullying everyone:devilish:

This is pretty cool. National scout talking about Burns' prospects as a pro. Needless to say, he's got unlimited upside.

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell talks about Artie Burns - a class of 2013 prospect from Miami (FL) Northwestern, and today, a top prospect in the NFL Draft.

It was a ****** pick - we don't play press man coverage - we play ZONE

and I don't care about his backstory - we need starting CB talent right away - not some feel good story to tell the grandkids

He can play zone too. Not convinced he was the BPA, but not going to say he is a ****** pick eiter. Way too early to say that. And to be honest not sure outside of one FSU cornerback that there was a CB ready to start out of the gates.